06122019 NEWS

Page 1

WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 87ºF LOW 76ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.116, JUNE 12TH, 2019

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

ALICIA WALLACE: POLITICAL QUOTAS? BRING IT ON

Gibson wants PM as ‘vital’ witness By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net

PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis may be called upon to give testimony in former Labour and National Insurance Minister Shane Gibson’s bribery trial in September, an attorney revealed yesterday. Owen Wells, one of Gibson’s attorneys, said Dr Minnis possesses information that is “vital” to the defence’s attempts to stave off the 16 counts of bribery against its client. Mr Wells said the defence has requested the Crown to make Dr Minnis available as a witness. However, he said given the position the Crown has taken on the issue, Dr Minnis may have to be subpoenaed. The trial is set for September 23. In response to Mr Wells’ statements, Justice Carolita Bethel, who

inherited the case after her fellow judge, Indra Charles, recused herself last month, said Gibson’s attorneys should endeavour to ensure that Dr Minnis has “something to offer” from an evidential standpoint. “That’s all I deal with in this court,” she said. Meanwhile, prosecution attorney Terry Archer indicated that the Crown has retained British attorney James Guthrie, QC, to act as lead prosecutor in the matter. Meanwhile, Mr Wells indicated that the defence is reconsidering whether to forge ahead with Mr Guthrie’s compatriot and fellow attorney Edward Fitzgerald, QC, at the helm. Mr Wells said the defence is engaged in ongoing discussions on the matter, and may very well have a new lead attorney at trial.

A 37-YEAR-old security guard was murdered while on duty early yesterday morning during an armed robbery. Alfred Gerard Kemp, described by relatives as a humble, respectable man, had only been working as a security officer for five days when the tragedy occurred. Relatives say he was covering a shift at Commonwealth Brewery Limited’s JFK warehouse

SEE PAGE THREE

NATIONAL Security Minister Marvin Dames said murders are down 21 percent while overall crime is down seven percent compared with this time last year, two of many figures he announced during a data-heavy budget speech in the House of Assembly yesterday. As of June 11, there have been 37 murders. In 2018 the first period in nine years the murder count did not exceed 100 - 47 murders were recorded to this point. Mr Dames said police also believe they have increased the murder detection rate, with people charged in 24 of the murder cases this year. Additionally, he sought to contextualise the murder problem, arguing that killings often involve

DIALYSIS UNIT JOINS SERIES OF HOSPITAL UPGRADES

SEE PAGE FIVE

location for someone else. In response to the tragedy, Commonwealth Brewery Managing Director Jügen Mulder announced that location was closed for the day. It is set to reopen today. According to police, Kemp and two other security officers were on duty when the incident occurred. Police suspect there were about five assailants. “According to reports, shortly after midnight, three security officers

By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

SEE PAGE SIX

By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net

SECURITY GUARD SHOT DEAD DURING ROBBERY By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net

DAMES SETS BACKGROUND TO REALITY OF MURDERS

IT’S NOT WHAT YOU THINK

PICTURES showing FNM MP Frederick McAlpine walking with the PLP, including MP Chester Cooper (above) at the Labour Day march in Freeport have caused controversy. Full story, Page 2

HEALTH Minister Dr Duane Sands yesterday cheered several recent upgrades to Princess Margaret Hospital’s Dialysis Unit, calling the improvements pieces in improving the nation’s overall health sector. Dr Sands, in comments to reporters outside of Cabinet yesterday, said officials attached to the unit recognised operations there had not been “ideal” for quite some time. He said a determination was made to take a number of incremental steps to improve the unit over a period of time. SEE PAGE TEN

HOLY DISORDER OVER BAPTIST LEADERSHIP TECHNOLOGY By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

THE leadership of the Bahamas National Baptist Missionary & Educational Convention has come under scrutiny, with some in the body calling for the removal of “the most unprepared” and “unqualified” president the organisation has ever seen. Reverend Lloyd Smith was installed as the convention’s president a little

REVEREND LLOYD SMITH over a year ago and is well known as the owner of construction firm Holiday

Industrial Builders. With Rev Smith at the helm the body is now experiencing a leadership crisis, according to Dr Keith Russell who heavily criticised the president’s capabilities in a letter of resignation from the post of area vice president for the northern Bahamas district. His decision to step down, according to the letter, was triggered by “ineptitude” shown in the

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE SEVEN

HOLLYWOOD GETS A TASTE OF GAMING

SEE PAGE NINE


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
06122019 NEWS by tribune242 - Issuu