MONDAY TUESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 87ºF LOW 78ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.115, JUNE 11TH, 2019
HO US E & 20 THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
PA GE S SPORT: ONE-POINT WIN FOR WARRIORS IN THRILLER
Autopsies reveal friends drowned But finding fails to silence questions over Turin deaths By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
INITIAL reports from the autopsies of Alrae Ramsey and Blair John have added another layer of questions to the mystery of the men’s deaths. According to some Italian news outlets, results of the autopsies conducted yesterday confirm both men died as a result of drowning. There were also wounds on one of them that suggested his body was dragged, other reports say. John’s mother Cathleen Rahming told The Tribune
last week that he was a strong swimmer and fit. His relatives, The Tribune was told, have rejected the autopsy findings and are waiting for CCTV evidence that could give better insight into the situation. A source close to the matter told this newspaper that a third Bahamian was to meet both Ramsey and John in Italy, but he never made the trip due to an issue with a visa. He allegedly booked the room at bed and breakfast, Via la Loggia 2 in Turin, where the men were staying. SEE PAGE SEVEN
A PROMINENT Bahamian publishing company - which is in no way connected with The Tribune and its affiliates - is suing the government for $28.8m with interest to secure payment for the production of more than five million publications promoting and advertising The Bahamas. Etienne Dupuch Jr Publications Limited, also known as Dupuch Publications, is
suing for $28,875,061, which it asserts is the amount due and owing to it for producing 1.7 million magazines, books and maps per year and circulating them throughout The Bahamas and in 11,000 hotel rooms at a price of $6.7m per year for three years. Dupuch Publications alleges that the $28.8m it seeks is the end result of a breach of contract by Tourism and Aviation Minister Dionisio D’Aguilar and his ministry concerning an SEE PAGE SIX
FACE-TO-FACE
ADRIANNA BIDS TO BE NEXT STAR OF THE VOICE
SEE PAGE EIGHT
MARIJUANA: WE CAN’T BE LEFT BEHIND
By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net MARIJUANA is an “industry that we should not turn our back on”, Caribbean Development Bank president Dr William Warren Smith has warned, adding it would be “foolhardy” for countries in the region not to capitalise on the opportunities the plant brings for the medical, agriculture and trade industries. Describing the industry as “legitimate”, Dr Smith also expressed his belief that it is a “matter of time” before marijuana laws will change “across the region”. SEE PAGE SIX
BRAVE: PLP NEEDS MORE WOMEN MPS
DUPUCH HITS GOVT WITH $28M WRIT OVER DEBT By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net
HOME
By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net
A TRAGEDY REMEMBERED
THE TRAGEDY of last year’s Labour Day Parade was remembered at this year’s event at the weekend. Full story - Page 3 Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff
THE Progressive Liberal Party’s 2022 slate will be composed of 30 percent to 40 percent women candidates, according to party leader, Philip “Brave” Davis. The announcement came during a recent press conference in response to questions posed by reporters over the lack of female representation in Bahamian politics. SEE PAGE 13
ROLLE BLASTS CORRUPTION CLAIMS By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
ACTING Deputy Commissioner of Police Paul Rolle has threatened to take action against Bitcoin millionaire John McAfee after he unleashed a tweet storm over the last few days, making damaging claims about corruption in the US government and Bahamian officials. Mr Rolle yesterday denied the allegations made
PAUL Rolle and, right, McAfee about him on Twitter by Mr McAfee, who is described on international news sites as a “fugitive of the law” for
US tax evasion. During Mr McAfee’s Twitter rant, Mr Rolle and Royal Bahamas Defence Force Commodore Tellis Bethel were named. While Commodore Bethel said yesterday he was aware of Mr McAfee’s accusations, he declined comment, telling The Tribune the matter has been referred to the police. For his part, Mr Rolle said he planned to file a
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE FIVE
PETER YOUNG NOT A BLEMISH AS TRUMP PULLS IT OFF
SEE PAGE TEN