business@tribunemedia.net
TUESDAY, JUNE 4, 2019
$4.90
Brewery suffers loss on $2.7m cost one-offs By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net COMMONWEALTH Brewery has blamed a sixfigure loss for the 2019 first quarter on $2.7m in one-off expenses linked to restructuring, staff lay-offs and Kalik Light’s re-branding. The BISX-listed brewer, unveiling its results for the three months to endMarch, said shareholders were experiencing temporary pain in order to realise “planned efficiencies” that will be felt in its financial results in the coming months. The vertically-integrated brewer, wholesaler and retailer, which is 25 percent owned by Bahamian shareholders, told the capital markets that it also had to contend with flat revenues as well as increased costs during the first quarter as it lost four sales days in “going live” with its new Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system. The impact from the $866,258 loss for the 2019 first quarter, representing a more than-$3m “swing” from the profits generated in the year-before period, was also felt on Commonwealth Brewery’s balance sheet. The brewer, which is 75 percent majority-owned by international giant, Heineken, saw its cash and cash equivalents shrink by more than $7.5m in the three months after 2018 year-end, dropping from $9.09m to just $1.503m. Commonwealth Brewery’s current liabilities of $41.31m also just about exceeded its $41.177m in current assets at the March quarter-end, although its plant and other physical assets ensured its net equity remains at a healthy $55.668m. “Commonwealth Brewery is preparing itself to become a more streamlined organisation that would deliver increased value and efficiencies through our people and processes,” the company said in explaining its 2019 first quarter results to investors. “Increases in the three principal operating expense lines, compared to the first quarter of 2108, relate to the restructuring and realignment exercise in process, which had an impact of $1.5m.
SEE PAGE 5
$4.95
$4.91
No $480m property tax arrears write-off By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
T
HE government has no plans to write-off its $480m in real property tax arrears and will “pursue” all delinquents “with vigour”, its top finance official warned yesterday. Marlon Johnson, the Ministry of Finance’s acting financial secretary, told Tribune Business that barring any change in policy it will continue to target every tax cheat through a combination of private sector collection agencies and the soon-to-be created Revenue Enhancement Unit (REU). He revealed that the latter will create a call centre and employ a collections team to “chase down” defaulters who have contributed to almost half a billion dollars in uncollected property tax arrears identified by the auditor general in his latest report for the 2015-2016 fiscal year. The government is also aiming to “better coordinate and target” the
“ENORMOUS confusion” exists even among hotel union members over whether industry employers want to eliminate or alter the automatic 15 percent gratuity, Tribune Business was told yesterday. Dionisio D’Aguilar, minister of tourism and aviation, told Tribune Business that “it’s a matter of conjecture as to who agreed to what and what’s in dispute” as the fall-out from last week’s overwhelming vote in favour of a strike by Bahamas Hotel, Catering and Allied Workers Union (BHCAWU) members continues. Implying that the union’s actions are premature, given that negotiations between itself and representatives from the Bahamas Hotel and Restaurant Employers Association (BHREA) are not scheduled to begin until June 27, Mr D’Aguilar
GB tech hub won’t appear ‘overnight’
• Top official: ‘We don’t like’ forgiveness • Will still ‘pursue’ deadbeats vigorously • Tax under-performed by 46% in 15-16
MARLON JOHNSON work performed by private sector collection agencies on its behalf, Mr Johnson disclosed, focusing them on the “more challenging cases” involving real property tax cheats. While it may appear that the government has little choice but to write-off a substantial proportion of the $480m real property tax arrears mountain in the auditor general’s report, the acting financial secretary
said it was no conceding defeat on any of this sum just yet. “Our intention is to collect all the tax that is due,” Mr Johnson told Tribune Business. “As it stands now, no [write-off] has been contemplated. The government may make a policy decision, but for the time being we will certainly pursue all taxes due. “We will continue to look and find a reasonable approach where necessary, and do so in a way that makes sense for the government and taxpayer. If people show a preparedness to pay, and come up with a reasonable payment arrangement, we will continue to work with persons.” The 2019-2020 budget communication made much of the government’s recently-announced doorto-door campaign to visit all 100,000-plus properties on New Providence, and assess
them in a bid to develop a standard, fair methodology for property tax valuations, while adding 9,000 properties to the tax roll and collecting an extra $21m in revenue annually. However, it made no mention of how the government planned to tackle the build-up of past real property tax arrears that features prominently in every Auditor General’s Office audit of its annual financial accounts. Those arrears are now more than double the projected annual deficit of $229m for the current 2018-2019 fiscal year. Mr Johnson yesterday explained that a key element of the government’s strategy is the newly-formed Revenue Enhancement Unit (REU) that will formally begin work on July 1. “A part of the Revenue Enhancement
pointed to the contradictory positions taken by both sides over the gratuity. “There’s enormous confusion because the union is saying the mandatory 15 percent gratuity charge is under attack, and Atlantis is saying it was never an issue,” the minister told this newspaper. “I don’t think they’ve
even got into the room to start negotiations. The only way this can be resolved is if their meeting goes ahead, all matters are vented and we see what the issues are. It’s critical they do that. It’s a matter of conjecture who agreed to what and what’s in dispute. “It’s not just the hotel workers that are potentially
By NATARIO MCKENZIE
Tribune Business Reporter
nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net
affected by some sort of industrial action; it’s the whole nation - taxi drivers, tour operators, straw and beach vendors. It’s very important we get this right.” Mr D’Aguilar’s primary concern is to avoid any industrial action that may disrupt - and threaten - the double digit percentage increases in visitor arrivals and hotel earnings indicators that The Bahamas has enjoyed for 2019 to-date in a sign that the sector may finally be putting a decade-long post 2008-2009 recession hangover behind it. However, the “confusion” over the gratuity referred to by Mr D’Aguilar extends even to hotel union members themselves. Dave
SEE PAGE 4
SEE PAGE 4
SEE PAGE 4
• Minister: Dispute ‘a matter of conjecture’ • Unionist: ‘You don’t know what to believe’ • Hotels seeking ‘equity’, not elimination
DIONISIO D’AGUILAR
KWASI THOMPSON
THE government’s plans to transform Grand Bahama into a technology hub will not materialise “overnight”, a Cabinet minister admitting yesterday: “There is a whole lot more to be done”. Senator Kwasi Thompson, minister of state for Grand Bahama, said that while the government is pleased with its successes to date, establishing a new industry was not an easy process. “The government has been focused on marketing Grand Bahama as a technology hub. We believe that the island is suited to do so because of its proximity and infrastructure,” said Mr Thompson in an interview with Tribune Business during an Internet workshop at the British Colonial Hilton. “Creating a new industry is not a simple process. It is not a process that is going to be done overnight. It is something the government really is focusing on doing. We have seen some success. We are pleased with those successes, but there is a whole lot more to be done. “There is a lot more training and promotion to be done, and a lot more sensitising the public as to what we want to do. There are a lot more companies we believe would be interested in coming to Grand Bahama. We will continue to keep pushing with this agenda and keep moving. We believe that a number of employment opportunities can be arrived at, and a lot more economic opportunities can be arrived at.” Mr Thompson’s comments come after GIBC Digital, the company viewed as the “flagship” investment for the technology hub, seemingly shut its Grand Bahama office and sent all remaining employees to work from home. It is
‘Enormous confusion’ over hotel gratuities By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
$4.95
Sebas funds: No liability over ‘conflicts of interest’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net INVESTORS buying into the mutual funds launched yesterday by Sebas Bastian’s investment house will not be able to take legal action relating to any “conflicts of interest” it may have. The offering memorandums for the Titan Balanced Fund and Titan Fixed Income Fund, which have been scrutinised by Tribune Business, both contain clauses stating that investors acknowledge the existence of such “conflicts” - and “agree not to assert any claim against Investar Securities or the funds” - when they execute the agreements to buy shares in them. “Conflicts of interest” are identified as a “risk factor” in both funds’ prospectuses, which state: “There
Titan investors sign away right to claim are potential conflicts of interest between the interests of the shareholders [in the funds] and the business interests and activities of Investar. Among other reasons, these potential conflicts may result from Investar’s investment activities on behalf of its other clients.” The Titan funds both pledge that their investment manager, Leno Corporate Services, “shall not enter into any such transaction on behalf of the fund that is not in the best interests of the fund” as a means to safeguard against any possibility that investors may get a raw deal. However, a subsequent
“risk factor” identifies the fact that the Titan funds will “share a common director” with both Investar and Playtech Systems, the latter being the parent company for Mr Bastian’s Island Luck web shop chain. The “common director” is likely to be Dirk Simmons, Playtech’s chief financial officer. “By executing a subscription agreement, each shareholder acknowledges that such conflicts of interest exist and agrees that both Investar and the fund will have no liability to the shareholder as a result of these conflicts,” both funds’ offering documents state. “The shareholders agree not to assert any claim
against Investar or the fund arising in connection with any conflict of interest experienced by Investar, whether or not specifically set forth above.” Ansel Watson, Investar’s president and chief executive, declined to comment on the level of interest that the Titan funds attracted during their first day on the market, instead referring Tribune Business to its public relations agency, Diane Phillips & Associates. No response was received to an inquiry made to the agency before press time. But capital markets experts consulted by Tribune Business yesterday described the existence of these stipulations in both funds’ prospectuses as unusual, and questioned whether they were effectively asking shareholders
SEE PAGE 5