06012022 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 1, 2022

$6.35

$6.35

Last-minute rescue for private aviation By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net BAHAMAS Customs yesterday flew to the private aviation industry’s last-minute rescue by delaying implementation of a new border control regime that some feared could drive away up to 50 percent of this nation’s business. A spokesperson for the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA), the world’s largest aviation association, told Tribune Business it had received a letter from acting Customs comptroller, Ralph Munroe, confirming that the roll-out of the Click2Clear system for private pilots - which was supposed to take effect today - had been halted at the 11th hour. They added that the u-turn, which occurred just hours before the proposed implementation deadline, was made “pending further discussion by Customs, government officials and programmers to

$6.48

• Customs u-turn on Click2Clear at 11th hour • As industry confusion, frustration peaking • FBO chief’s ‘50-60 calls’, plus cancellations address reasonable concerns expressed by stakeholders”. Mark Baker, president of AOPA, which bills itself as the world’s largest aviation membership organisation that is several hundred thousandstrong, said in a statement to this newspaper: “My sincere appreciation to acting comptroller of Bahamas Customs, Ralph Munroe, as well as those in the Ministry of Tourism and Aviation.

Budget’s housing focus can be ‘windfall catalyst’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Budget’s focus on stimulating home ownership “could be the catalyst that triggers an economic windfall” by boosting investor confidence in the wider economy, the Bahamian Contractors Association’s (BCA) president believes. Leonard Sands, reacting to the package of tax breaks directed by the Prime Minister at first-time home buyers, told Tribune Business that a revived housing market will enable multiple local sectors to “get a piece of that dollar” and create the perception of an expanding economy that will attract more local and foreign direct investment (FDI). Suggesting that the Government’s focus was broader than just the housing market alone, he also urged Bahamasbased building suppliers to fully pass the Budget’s construction tariff cuts on to consumers to ensure they have the desired effect. “If the benefits go to homeowners, that increases the amount of activity we can expect in the sector,” Mr Sands told this newspaper. “It absolutely will.” He added LEONARD SANDS that the Davis administration appeared to have realised that rising construction costs, driven by building material price inflation post-COVID, meant greater numbers of Bahamians were struggling to qualify for a home mortgage loan - hence its decision to cut tariffs on a wide range of key products. The BCA chief said this had also driven the Government to increase the VAT exemption for first-time buyers from $250,000 to $300,000, hoping the move will “allow more people to qualify for a mortgage loan” by raising the threshold below which the 10 percent levy on property acquisitions is eliminated. “I believe that alone will increase activity in the sector,” Mr Sands added. “It will encourage persons to buy. It will certainly encourage persons sitting on the fence to

SEE PAGE 5

“This decision reflects leadership and the great working partnership we enjoy with The Bahamas. Our shared goal is to ensure pilots continue flying to the beautiful Islands of The Bahamas.” However, Tribune Business can reveal that confusion, uncertainty and frustration were all rising in the run-up to the now-aborted June 1 deadline for Customs to introduce Click2Clear as private aviation’s new entrance and exit clearance system.

MARK BAKER, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association president. Charles Bowe, operations manager at Jet Nassau, the major fixed base operator (FBO) at Lynden Pindling International Airport (LPIA), told Tribune Business prior to Customs’ pull back being confirmed that he had yesterday fielded between 50 to 60 calls from private pilots and others

SEE PAGE 4

‘Get past need for Budget secrecy’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Government must “move past this need for secrecy” in the annual Budget process and avoid blindsiding the private sector and wider Bahamian public on planned fiscal reforms, a prominent banker is arguing. Gowon Bowe, who headed the private sector’s Coalition for Responsible Taxation when VAT was first introduced in 2015, told Tribune Business that the immediate reaction to changes unveiled in the 2022-2023 Budget “shows how debilitating it can be” when senior business executives reveal they were totally unprepared for reforms they fear their companies will be unable to properly implement by the July 1 fiscal year start. “We have to move past this need for secrecy in a process and agree on principles even if some of

GOWON BOWE the finer details are held until agreed upon,” he said of the Budget process. “When we look at it, there needs to be - I’m not going to call it collaboration - but there at least needs to be engagement that says the principles have been communicated and fleshed out, so the Government can address concerns that are real and legitimate, and we document others that can be reviewed.” Successive governments have been reluctant to

$6.13

MICHAEL MAURA

Cruise port hits 97% end-May occupancy • Just 1,400 short of full deck in final week • Cruise ship calls up at 525 for year-to-date • Over $91m invested in port in year to March By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

consult the private sector, civil society and the wider Bahamian public on the annual Budget, or even indicate their fiscal policy direction and its contents, for fear that some would exploit advance knowledge to engage in so-called tax arbitrage and profit at the expense of others and the Public Treasury’s revenues. However, this often produces panic in industries impacted by what are unexpected changes. The lack of warning causes operational and financial disruption, and affords them little time to adjust to the changes, while also resulting in prolonged negotiations with the Government in the month prior to the fiscal year’s start to either mitigate or pull back from the changes. Calling on the Government to put “this practice of surprising the community, businesses and citizens, behind us”, Mr

PASSENGER occupancies on vessels calling at Nassau Cruise Port in the final week of May exceeded 97 percent, it was revealed yesterday, signalling the sector is closing on full recovery from COVID-19’s ravages. Michael Maura, the Prince George Wharf operator’s chief executive, told Tribune Business that it handled some 51,402 passengers during the last seven days in May - a number that was just shy of the combined 52,798 maximum guest capacity on the vessels that called. Describing this as “certainly good news”, he added that “the positive trend is there” to show that vessel occupancies and passenger volumes at Nassau Cruise Port have progressively strengthened throughout 2022 to-date after The Bahamas and rest of the world escaped the COVID-19 case surge sparked by the Omicron variant around the turn of the year. And, comparing 2022’s performance year-to-date to 2019, the last pre-pandemic year, Mr Maura disclosed that total vessel calls to Nassau for the first five months are up by 24 or 4.8 percent when measured against that same period three years ago. “If you look at 2019 for the months of January, February, March, April and May, we received 501 ships at Nassau Container Port,” he disclosed, “with the busiest month in that period being January, although March is usually pretty good. When you compare that to the same point in 2022, we had 515 ships versus 501, which is 21 more.” While vessels arriving at Nassau Cruise Port for 2022 to-date have not quite matched the 100 percent occupancies achieved during the same period in 2019, Mr Maura said the gap has narrowed in

SEE PAGE 5

SEE PAGE 4

Insurers: Monday night floods a ‘wake-up call’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net BAHAMIAN insurers yesterday said Monday night’s heavy rainfall and flooding should be a “wake-up call” for all home and vehicle owners, plus businesses, ahead of what is expected to be an active 2022 hurricane season. Laneka Moss, a RoyalStar Assurance claims manager, told Tribune Business that the storms - which rendered many roads in eastern New Providence virtually impassable, sending flood waters into many residential yards - were “a precursor to let us know what to anticipate” in a hurricane season that formally begins today.

She added that the property and casualty writer is preparing to receive “some” property and motor vehicle claims as a result, having gone through a similar experience following the storms that inflicted similar heavy flooding on western New Providence on May 13. Disclosing that motor vehicle claims from that event “tended to be to total losses”, Ms Moss said property owners reported losses ranging from $4,000 up to $70,000. She added that it would take several days, while home and vehicle owners cleaned up and assessed the extent of the damage, before RoyalStar will know the extent of the likely insurance claims. Timothy Ingraham, Summit Insurance Company’s managing director, told this newspaper that the carrier, too, received

insurance claims stemming from western New Providence’s flooding almost two weeks ago. “It wasn’t hugely significant,” he added of the amounts and volume involved. “There wasn’t a huge number of claims. We had localised flooding in some areas, some houses flooded. A few vehicles suffered flood damage. “We’ll wait and see what happens on the eastern end. We won’t know for a couple of days. Most people, if they are flooded, are trying to get their lives back together and water out the house. It will be a day or two before we know exactly what happened.” Mr Ingraham agreed that the flooding in eastern and western New Providence “should be a wake-up call”. He added: “It’s a very small taste of

what we get when we do get a storm. Hopefully people will heed the warning and prepare themselves.” Meanwhile, Patrick Ward, Bahamas First’s president and chief executive, said he was also anticipating that the property and casualty underwriter will receive claims as a result of Monday night’s torrential downpours. “I wouldn’t be surprised if there are claims,” he told this newspaper. “We have seen claims arising from the heavy downpours we’ve had in the last couple of weeks. “It’s an unusual amount of rainfall in a very short space of time. I would expect to see flooding arising out of that and claims coming in. I don’t expect the number of claims and amount of damage to be a material event for us.”


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
06012022 BUSINESS by tribune242 - Issuu