05172022 NEWS, SPORTS AND BUSINESS

Page 1

WOMAN & HEALTH TUESDAY

Premium Roast Coffee

HIGH 83ºF LOW 75ºF

i’m lovin’ it!

Monday,

February

CARS! CARS!

8, 2021

The Tribune Established

Being Bound To

Swear To The Dogmas

1903

Of No Master

The Tribune

Volume: 119 No.121, May 17, 2022

L A T E S T

N E W S

tise Call

To Adver

-2351

601-0007 or 502

Starting at

$33.60

CLASSIFIEDS TRADER

ed

VAT includ

Established 1903

O N

T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M

Biggest And Best!

$10M IN FUNDING

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1

‘VANISHED’ Prime Minister claims NGOs have not submitted accounts By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net PRIME Minister Philip “Brave” Davis said two non-governmental organisations have not submitted records to give an account of the combined more than $10m they received from the former Minnis administration under its national food programme. While he did not name either NGO, Mr Davis said the organisations provided no information at all to explain how the money aided hurting Bahamians at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. He added that other

PRIME Minister Philip “Brave” Davis in Parliament yesterday. Photo: Racardo Thomas/Tribune Staff

organisations refused to provide any information at all. His comments came as he tabled a 138-page audit report into the National Food Distribution Task Force and the food programme, which have now been disbanded. Mr Davis said the report uncovered “startling findings” along with “major deficiencies” including a lack of record keeping, inconsistencies relating to the sums of money handled and a complete absence of minutes from meetings that were held. Mr Davis said the task force could not provide the auditors with information

that should have already been completed and readily available. Even in instances where the information was provided, only aggregate totals were offered, with none of the supporting documents that would be critical to corroborate figures. There is no back-up provided, no contracts, no cheques, no receipts and no bank statements to support the information, he said. Mr Davis also took issue with what he called “exorbitant fees” that were paid to some vendors, including a restaurant that was delivering food parcels to families in the programme. SEE PAGE THREE

‘NO POLITICAL WITCH HUNT OVER WSC’ By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net

PRIME Minister Philip “Brave” Davis has dismissed accusations that his administration is on a political witch hunt regarding the Water and Sewerage Corporation. It is a matter in which both Mr Davis and Public Works Minister Alfred Sears - who has WSC in his portfolio - has said they will not interfere.

FORMER Water & Sewerage executive chairman Adrian Gibson. Yesterday, Mr Sears went so far as to say that he did

not know the details or particulars of the ongoing probe. This comes after Official Opposition Leader Michael Pintard contented on Saturday that the Davis administration was targeting former Water and Sewerage executive chairman Adrian Gibson, after several rental vehicles belonging to Mr Gibson were allegedly seized on Long Island as part of a police investigation. SEE PAGE FIVE

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

FACE TO FACE: GOLF CADDY SEEKS TO INSPIRE OTHERS

- SEE PAGE EIGHT


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
05172022 NEWS, SPORTS AND BUSINESS by tribune242 - Issuu