business@tribunemedia.net
FRIDAY, MAY 10, 2019
$4.90 Airlift model ‘debunked’ by 35% expansion rate By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE 35 percent expansion in Nassau/Paradise Island airlift over the past 18 months has “debunked” a business model that “cost The Bahamas a fortune”, a Cabinet minister said yesterday. Dionisio D’Aguilar, minister of tourism and aviation, told Tribune Business that the past yearand-a-half had shown The Bahamas needed to drive demand for this destination to attract increased flights and seat capacity instead of providing massive subsidies to the airlines as it has done in the past. “Airlift has grown 35 percent over the past 18 months,” he said. “It’s all been grown organically, and not through any increased funding by the Ministry of Tourism. This debunks the theory that if you supply airlift support that makes a
big difference. “We have to drive the narrative that once you create demand for people to come, and once the airlines see the load factors and yields go up, they’re able to put airlift in without any incentives. “It’s a far more strategic plan than trying to do it the old-fashioned way, which was to give credits, minimum revenue guarantees (MRGs) and support which cost a fortune. All these strategies are not necessary if you drive demand.” Mr D’Aguilar said the “double digit” growth in Nassau/Paradise Island hotel room rates and pricing, despite the increased supply created by the full release of Baha Mar’s 2,300 net room growth, “speaks volumes” to the current strength of Bahamian tourism. He pointed out that March’s results were
SEE PAGE 4
$4.95
$4.95
$4.95
Top resort owner targets last Hotel Corp property By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
A
LEADING Andros-based developer has emerged as the likely buyer of the last Hotel Corporationowned resort, a Cabinet minister saying yesterday: “The quicker a deal happens the better.” Dionisio D’Aguilar, minister of tourism and aviation, told Tribune Business he was ecstatic that Kamalame Cay’s principal, Brian Hew, was “doing due diligence” and negotiating to acquire the Lighthouse Yacht Club and Marina. He added that Mr Hew’s “wealth of experience” in developing an ultra luxury
• Kamalame Cay chief in ‘due diligence’ talks • Minister ‘excited’ for Lighthouse Club sale • Says ‘life’s mission’ to get govt out of hotels
DIONISIO D’AGUILAR private island destination just a mile from Andros’ Great Barrier Reef gave the government confidence that he could do likewise in transforming the still-closed Lighthouse Club into a sustainable, attractive product.
The resort has been shuttered since incurring significant damage from Hurricane Matthew in October 2016, with Mr D’Aguilar disclosing that his “life’s mission” since becoming tourism minister has been to secure the government’s exit from hotel industry ownership. Mr Hew’s emergence as frontrunner to purchase the Lighthouse Club comes after an earlier deal headed by a Bahamian entrepreneur appears to have stalled. Local businessman Burton Rodgers, and a group featuring some of the
investors who worked with him to purchase Exuma’s Club Peace & Plenty hotel, had previously been identified as the preferred buyer. Confirming these developments yesterday, Mr D’Aguilar said the government’s departure from the hotel business could not come soon enough given that it had “never enjoyed any success” in the sector. “You’re right,” Mr D’Aguilar responded, when contacted by Tribune Business. “The Burton Rodgers deal has fallen through,
SEE PAGE 6
‘We can’t blindly Chamber director ‘tasked’ with national pension fund set-up march into WTO’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
A PROMINENT businessman yesterday said the Oxford Economics study had reinforced his view “that the government must get its house in order before we blindly march into the WTO”. Robert Myers, a former Chamber of Commerce chairman, told Tribune Business that “decades-old
Bahamian businesses that have kept this economy afloat will be put at significant risk” unless this nation reforms its cost and ease of doing business prior to attaining full World Trade Organisation (WTO) membership. While agreeing that WTO membership was ultimately the “right way to go”, Mr Myers explained that it “has to be on our terms” and
SEE PAGE 7
Manufacturers not convinced of WTO merits By NATARIO MCKENZIE
Tribune Business Reporter
nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net BAHAMIAN manufacturers yesterday said they are “not yet fully committed to the necessity of joining the World Trade Organisation (WTO)” based on the Oxford Economics study’s findings. The Bahamas Light Industries Development Council (BLIDC), commenting on the recently-released report that was commissioned by the Bahamas Chamber of
Commerce and Employers Confederation (BCCEC), said it backed the authors’ conclusion that full WTO membership will “not be the catalyst to right The Bahamas’ ship” by itself. The BLIDC, which represents some 30 local manufacturers, added that the sector’s future expansion into new areas could be inhibited by the inability to provide tariff protection for infant companies because all rates would become
SEE PAGE 5
Multilinguals Required! ActivTrades seeks the following candidates in Nassau
Account Representatives Client Onboarding Assistants No experience is required as full training will be provided. Knowledge of financial markets is desirable but not mandatory. Candidates should be open to travel opportunities.
Fluency in Chinese is compulsory. Applicants can send their CVs to careers@activtrades.bs For further information visit www.activtrades.bs
Online Broker since 2001
ActivTrades is a leading global online broker, with headquarters in London, United Kingdom. It provides trading services in Forex, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) and Spread Betting.
A CHAMBER of Commerce director yesterday revealed he has been “tasked” with developing a National Workers Pension Fund in a bid to tackle The Bahamas’ looming retirement crisis. Peter Goudie, who sits as one of the private sector representatives on the National Tripartite Council, told Tribune Business the initiative was designed to get Bahamians “thinking about saving for retirement for themselves” rather than relying on the government and/or their employers to take care of them. Confirming that the Council has given him this “mandate”, Mr Goudie said the Fund was primarily
• Take more retirement responsibility, workers urged • But objects to National Redundancy Fund concept
targeted at Bahamians whose employers did not provide them with company-sponsored pension plans because this was cost prohibitive or due to other factors. He added, though, that workers needed to use the proposed fund as a vehicle to start taking responsibility themselves for their postretirement financial needs, given that less than 30 percent of the workforce is thought to be covered by employer-sponsored plans. With Taylor Industries the latest example of a company to cease operating without paying its 43 employees the collective $682,096 in termination pay
they are entitled to in law, Mr Goudie said greater focus needs to be placed on retirement savings to ensure workers have some kind of financial protection in such situations. Recalling how pensions legislation drafted under the last Ingraham administration stalled once it was voted out of office in 2012, he added: “It really begs that we need a retirement plan policy in this country. “I was on the Pensions Task Force under the previous FNM government. The legislation was brought to the floor of Parliament by the PLP in the first year after they won from the FNM, and nothing
happened to it. Unfortunately, there were changes made which we would have objected to.” The effort ultimately stalled, with the legislation produced by the Pensions Task Force moving no further forward. However, Robert Farquharson, the former union head and labour director who now chairs the National Tripartite Committee, revealed earlier this year that interest had revived with the creation of portable worker pensions included in its three-year strategic plan. “We’re also looking at
SEE PAGE 8