WOMAN & HEALTH TUESDAY Premium Roast Coffee
HIGH 84ºF LOW 72ºF
i’m lovin’ it!
Monday,
February
CARS! CARS!
8, 2021
The Tribune Established
Being Bound To
Swear To The Dogmas
1903
Of No Master
The Tribune L A T E S T
N E W S
tise Call
To Adver
-2351
601-0007 or 502
Starting at
$33.60
Established 1903
O N
T R I B U N E 2 4 2 . C O M
Biggest And Best!
Volume: 119 No.111, May 3, 2022
CLASSIFIEDS TRADER
ed
VAT includ
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: PRICE–$1
POLICE QUESTION WSC MANAGER Elwood Donaldson is quizzed as part of investigation By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Senior Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net POLICE questioned Water and Sewerage General Manager Elwood Donaldson for hours yesterday as part of their investigation into matters affecting the institution, The Tribune understands. Mr Donaldson, who was placed on leave in December as the investigation continued, was invited to a police station, interviewed and released yesterday
evening pending the investigation, according to a source who spoke to this newspaper anonymously because they were not authorised to speak on the matter. Mr Donaldson was the only person interviewed in connection with the matter yesterday but The Tribune understands the police have invited others to the Central Detective Unit in recent weeks and have questioned them as well.
ACTING Commissioner of Police Clayton Fernander is unhappy with the pace inquests are happening at the Coroner’s Court, saying it is clear that policeinvolved “matters are not moving as swiftly as they should”. Lawyers have long complained about the Coroner’s
By LEANDRA ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter lrolle@tribunemedia.net
WEATHER experts are predicting an active and “above average” Atlantic hurricane season, with four major hurricanes expected this year. The season, which starts officially on June 1, is also forecast to have 19 named storms, with as many as nine hurricanes. Yesterday, Myles Laroda, the state minister with responsibility for disaster preparedness, urged Bahamians to start preparing now ahead of the upcoming season, underscoring the impacts of climate change on vulnerable countries like The Bahamas. SEE PAGE TWO
PERMISSION TO STRIKE - BUT UNION MAY NOT USE IT By KHRISNA RUSSELL Tribune Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
SEE PAGE FOUR
‘OFFICER SHOOTING CASES ARE MOVING TOO SLOWLY’ By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Senior Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
WARNING OF BUSY HURRICANE SEASON
Court and how long it takes before inquests are held. Although the pace significantly improved during the Minnis administration, it came to a halt during the COVID-19 pandemic. While inquests into other deaths have resumed, inquests into police involved killings have not. Last month, National Security Minister Wayne SEE PAGE THREE POLICE on the scene of a homicide at the Rubis gas station on Mackey Street yesterday. Photo: Racardo Thomas/Tribune Staff
A STRIKE certificate has been approved for the Public Managers Union to take industrial action against the National Insurance Board. PMU President Cassandra Lewis told The Tribune yesterday that despite receiving the strike certificate, the union was hoping not to have to use it. “We received our certificate and reached out to the minister,” Mrs Lewis said. “We would like to attempt to resolve to avoid drastic measures and action.” Both Myles Laroda, minister with responsibility for SEE PAGE SEVEN
INMATE SHOT DEAD AT WORK SITE By EARYEL BOWLEG Tribune Staff Reporter ebowleg@tribunemedia.net
AN inmate on the Bahamas Department of Correctional Services’ work programme was shot multiple times and killed while on his job yesterday. The man, whom The Tribune was told is Timothy Saunders, was at a fuel pump at Rubis Station at Mackey and Madeira Streets, when a lone gunman approached and shot him several times
in his body. According to the officer in charge of the Criminal Investigation Department Chief Superintendent Michael Johnson, the assailant escaped on foot. During a press conference yesterday, Acting Commissioner of Police Clayton Fernander said police were combing the Kemp Road area in search of the person responsible, after receiving tips that the shooter ran in that direction. SEE PAGE FOUR
FACE TO FACE: TWO BABY GIRLS AFTER SIX-YEAR WAIT
- SEE PAGE EIGHT
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper