05032019 NEWS

Page 1

FRIDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 85ºF LOW 75ºF Volume:116 No.90, MAY 3RD, 2019

The Tribune Established 1903

Weekend

WEEKEND: YOUR ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO CARNIVAL

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

Frid art books theatre film fashio n music gardening histor y puzzle

Weekend

CA

G

World, here we come

Home raider dies swimming canal

Pageant title contenders revealed pages

for everything that matters

8&9

trade in your current iPhone and get credit towards any new device when you switch to ALIV postpaid

offer good for porting customers only. terms and conditions apply.

By RIEL MAJOR Tribune Staff Reporter rmajor@tribunemedia.net

A BRAZEN daylight robbery ended in tragedy yesterday morning after one of three alleged robbers drowned in an eastern New Providence canal. According to Superintendent Shanta Knowles, shortly before 10am police received reports of a home invasion in Bay Lily, Seabreeze Estates. At the scene, Supt Knowles said: “Upon the officers’ arrival they saw three men running from a home. Two of them [police] were able to capture and take into custody. [The] third jumped into the canal just at the rear of the house. Officers noticed he was swimming west in the canal towards Golf Course Boulevard, so we sent a

patrol unit on [the other] side of the community. “Officers noticed as he was swimming, he appeared to be in distress. They rendered assistance to him by jumping into the water. [They] brought him to shore, began to perform CPR until an ambulance came and then he was pronounced deceased. “This matter is of course very active, and we will continue to investigate.” Supt Knowles could not say whether the two men in custody and the deceased are known to police at this time. She noted the deceased appeared to be between the ages of 25 and 30 but could not confirm the ages of the two men in custody. Supt Knowles encouraged parents to enrol their

A ROYAL Bahamas Defence Force marine is expected to be arraigned in Magistrate’s Court today in connection with the murder of Petty Officer Philip Perpall who was shot multiple times in his upper body at Government House earlier this week. Police Commissioner Anthony Ferguson confirmed this yesterday, telling The Tribune he was pleased

SEE PAGE THREE

ROLLE IN AS NEW DEPUTY

PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis has appointed Assistant Commissioner of Police Paul Rolle the new Deputy Commissioner of Police. The Royal Bahamas Police Force announced the appointment in a statement last night, saying Mr Rolle’s appointment came into effect on April 1. SEE PAGE FIVE

TAYLOR INDUSTRIES $1M IN RED

SEE PAGE THREE

with how the investigation progressed. “We are looking to proceed tomorrow,” Commissioner Ferguson said after confirming that the person of interest who was assisting police with their investigation has since been named a suspect. The death of PO Perpall early on Sunday around 2.30am in the guard room of Government House stunned the nation, given it took place at the country’s highest office and involved those in the armed forces.

SEE PAGE EIGHT

By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

MARINE DUE IN COURT ON OFFICER’S MURDER

By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

A COMIC’S VIEW TIME TO FOLLOW HAWAII’S LEAD ON MARIJUANA

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

A BODY was taken out of the canal in eastern New Providence yesterday. Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff

TAYLOR Industries is insolvent by $1m after racking up $1.856m in losses during the four-and-a-half years prior to its January closure. Andrew Davies, the Crowe Bahamas accountant, disclosed the failed 74-year-old electrical retailer and contractor’s trade and unsecured creditors will recover none of the debts owed to them due to the massive solvency gap. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

TEACHER IN BEATING VIDEO BROKE RULES By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net

THE investigation into a video of an Abaco physical education teacher beating six students has determined the teacher in question “did not act with proper authority”, Education Minister Jeff Lloyd said yesterday. The investigation is finished Mr Lloyd told The Tribune, adding the decision of what disciplinary action the teacher will face

A VIDEO grab of the incident. is in the hands of the director of education. When contacted

yesterday, Education Director Marcellus Taylor told The Tribune he is awaiting advice from the Office of the Attorney General. The incident garnered national attention after the video in question went viral on social media in late March. On April 4, The Tribune reported that a district report detailing the circumstances behind the video was submitted to education officials. SEE PAGE SEVEN

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

DIANE PHILLIPS IF ONLY ROAD TRAFFIC DEATHS WERE SEXIER

SEE PAGE TEN


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
05032019 NEWS by tribune242 - Issuu