05022019 NEWS

Page 1

THURSDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 84ºF LOW 76ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

OBITS

VOLUME:116 No.89, MAY 2ND, 2019

OFFICIA

CLASSIFIED TRADER: CARS, CARS, CARS & MORE CARS

INSIDE

TALKING TOUGH Carnival warned criminal actions will be paid for By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net TRANSPORT and Local Government Minister Renward Wells said yesterday the Attorney General’s Office is assessing the extent of criminality attached to sewage and food waste discharged from Carnival’s vessels in Bahamian waters. The government will also seek compensation or recompense if it finds damage was done, Mr Wells said yesterday. He said an accelerated investigative process is now underway in an effort to make decisions. Mr Wells stressed the government’s firm positions, including that no ship entering this country’s waters should discharge anything harmful, adding the environment and waters will not be compromised and all ships

passing through will be held in all respects to the highest international standards. Speaking in the House of Assembly yesterday, the minister outlined the government’s multi-fold response to Carnival’s actions, which were revealed last month in a report by a United States court appointed monitor. It covered Carnival’s actions from the period April 2017 to April 2018. During that time Carnival ships dumped hundreds of thousands of gallons of treated sewage and more than 8,000 gallons of food waste in Bahamian waters, the report revealed. “The bottom line for us is two-fold: no ship privileged to enter Bahamian waters should discharge anything harmful into our waters. Our environment, our waters, will

CARNIVAL Corporation has again explained its discharge of treated sewage in Bahamian waters, releasing a statement that also highlighted its planned construction of a port facility in Grand Bahama and its productive relationship with The Bahamas. Leading environmentalist Joseph Darville said the corporation’s explanations are not satisfactory, however, and

SEE PAGE THREE

OFFICER DREW GUN ON DRUNK MARINE

By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net

‘IT’S TIME TO RELAX THE RULES ON CANNABIS’

SEE PAGE THREE

that the multi-billion-dollar corporation should apologise for what happened something which was missing from their lengthy statement yesterday. A recently released US court mandated report highlighted several instances when Carnival ships released treated sewage and food waste within The Bahamas’ archipelagic zone. Carnival has faced intense criticism following the revelations.

L SOUR CE

THE Royal Bahamas Defence Force has launched an internal investigation into reports a marine was forced to draw his gun on another officer in an altercation at Prince George Dock yesterday. A RBDF press officer yesterday stated: “There was a minor incident at the port facility but we are looking into it now.” No further details were confirmed by the RBDF; however, an internal police report logged on the matter made its rounds on social media yesterday. According to that report, a marine reported for duty drunk and made death threats towards a specific officer, and other marines present. SEE PAGE SEVEN

...AS SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

$1

By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net

TAKING ON THE WORLD REPRESENTING ELEUTHERA, Nyah Bandelier, above, is one of eight beauties vying to be Miss Bahamas World. The 2019 contestants were unveiled last Sunday and this year’s queen will be crowned on May 26. Full coverage in Tribune Weekend out tomorrow. Photo/MBO

EXUMA and Ragged Island MP Chester Cooper yesterday called on the government to immediately expunge the records of people convicted of possession of small amounts of marijuana. Mr Cooper said officials needed to re-examine the law concerning the quantity of drugs that met the “intent to supply” threshold, characterising the status quo as a “failed” policy. He reiterated his full support of the legalisation of medical marijuana, and expanded his position to include the SEE PAGE SEVEN

CHURCHES BLAST ‘VULGAR’ CARNIVAL

By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

THE Bahamas Christian Council yesterday trashed Carnival’s Road Fever event as revellers gear up for this year’s weekend of festivities. Christian Council president Bishop Delton Fernander said “reported” displays of lecherous conduct represents a moral stain on the country. He

BISHOP DELTON FERNANDER fears activities involving people who wear “little clothing” will lead to sexual

violence or other violent confrontations because young men “may not be able to handle seeing their female friend in sexual contact with other men on the streets”. Bishop Fernander’s statement drew rebuke from many across social media yesterday. Now in its fifth year, Bahamas Carnival’s popular Road Fever parade will take place on Saturday.

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE FIVE

MEMORIES OF A BRAVE MAN OF HONOUR

SEE PAGE 12


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.