business@tribunemedia.net
WEDNESDAY, MAY 1, 2019
$4.82
$4.86
$4.86
$4.86
Insurers ‘very close’ to Govt cut national debt by $26.4m VAT dispute settlement during fiscal Q3 By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
B
AHAMIAN insurers were yesterday said to be “very close” to resolving their valueadded tax (VAT) dispute with the government that has been “hanging over” the sector for the past year. Tom Duff, Insurance Company of The Bahamas (ICB) general manager, told Tribune Business that property and casualty insurers were eager “to get this behind us” with a settlement possibly occurring within the next fortnight. He added that the taxrelated uncertainty was “never good” for business, with ICB’s 2018 audited financial statements revealing it had been forced to take a $378,802 provision to cover potential VAT liabilities stemming from the dispute.
• ‘Compromise’ may be agreed in ‘week or two’ • ICB forced to take near-$400k ‘contingency’ • Will end year-long ‘locking horns’ with govt
This contingency impacted 2018 profitability at ICB, the affiliate through which BISX-listed JS Johnson places much of its insurance business, by playing a major role in reducing a $2.155m underwriting profit to net income of $1.729m. Mr Duff, though, voiced optimism that the property and casualty industry’s “locking of horns” with the Minnis administration would soon end as a result of the “compromise position” the sector and government were preparing to accept. While providing no specifics on the proposed resolution, the ICB chief disclosed that the quarrel stemmed from whether
general insurance underwriters could recover VAT on all or only some claims that were settled on a cash basis. While the insurance industry felt it had achieved “a clear understanding” with the former Christie administration that VAT was recoverable on all such claims, its successor adopted the position that this was only the case where the insured client was a VAT registrant - meaning a business with a turnover greater than $100,000 per annum. As a result, Bahamian property and casualty insurers were faced with being unable to recover “the VAT portion” of any Hurricane Matthew-related
claims paid out to residential homeowners and other non-VAT registrants. Given the $400m in insured damage inflicted by that storm, this left the industry facing a massive, unexpected multi-million dollar financial burden. Confirming that ICB’s “tax assessment provision” related to the wider sector’s dispute, Mr Duff told Tribune Business: “The industry is almost in a position where it can reach an agreement with the Department of Inland Revenue (DIR) with regard to this dispute on VAT. “We’ve made the provision in anticipation of having to make certain
SEE PAGE 4
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE government lowered its direct contribution to the national debt by $26.4m during the 2018-2019 fiscal year’s third quarter, its just-released “fiscal snapshot” reveals. While its “net liabilities”, or additional debt incurred as a result of borrowings, had risen by $227.9m for the nine months to end-March 2019, this represented a decline on the $254.3m generated during the fiscal year’s first half. As a result, the government’s direct debt actually fell from $7.497bn at yearend 2018 to $7.471bn at end-March 2019, which also likely reflects the budget surplus achieved over the January-March period. The government undertook some $830.3m of borrowings during the first
nine months of the 20182019 fiscal year to meet its financing needs, with virtually all this sum - some $824m - denominated in Bahamian dollars. Debt repayments worth $602.4m, with some $526.2m of this figure going to local currency obligations, resulted in the addition of $227.9m to the national debt. The report also revealed that the government has reduced the amount of outstanding advances owed to the Central Bank of The Bahamas by more than 50 percent during the current fiscal year, reducing this sum by $65m from $125m at end-June 2018 to $60m at end-March. This comes as the government moves to reduce its reliance on the Central Bank, repaying it some $109m over the first nine
SEE PAGE 4
Lucayan managers BICA chief: Govt faces 20% revenue shortfall • Income could come in $400m off-target ‘unanimously’ agree • Deficit headroom can be ‘easily eaten up’ • Wants fixed-cost spending to ‘stop rising’ $4.4m payout deal By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
By NATARIO MCKENZIE
Tribune Business Reporter
nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net GRAND Lucayan managers were yesterday said to have “unanimously” accepted the government’s improved $4.4m payout deal, with a trade union leader expressing delight at the outcome. Obie Ferguson, the Bahamas Hotel Managerial Association’s (BHMA) president and chief negotiator, told Tribune Business yesterday that a meeting with Dionisio D’Aguilar, minister of tourism and aviation, is set for this Sunday to finalise details of the agreement. “I am very pleased, as president of the Bahamas Hotel Managerial Association, for the support I received from my vicepresident, Kirk Russell, in Grand Bahama and the property representatives there in Grand Bahama, and obviously the support of the 145 managerial and supervisory workers,” Mr Ferguson, the Trades Union Congress (TUC) president, said. “I want to thank them for the collaborative effort they displayed, and the support and confidence they had in the association, which resulted in us reaching a compromise agreement to the tune of some $4m-plus which I hope will be paid as soon as possible. “We have a meeting
OBIE FERGUSON scheduled with the minister of tourism on Sunday, at which time at we will finalise the documentation and proper execution. Hopefully a date will be set for when the actual payout will take effect. I would be remiss if I did not mention the support and forthrightness of the minister of tourism. He did what he had to do, and he is a numbers man.” The voluntary payout fro Grand Lucayan managers has dragged on for more seven months, becoming contentious at several stages. The Grand Lucayan’s Board and Minnis administration originally took the position that they had committed an extra $500,000 of taxpayer monies over and above what BHMA members were due under the law in a bid to settle, and were not prepared to go beyond a $3.1m-$3.2m offer. “There are some 46 workers left, and
SEE PAGE 4
THE Bahamas Institute of Chartered Accountants (BICA) president yesterday warned the government could miss its full-year revenue target by “as much as 20 percent” based on current data. Gowon Bowe told Tribune Business that the government needed to determine the reasons for the virtually-guaranteed 2018-2019 revenue “shortfall” so that it avoided “repeating” this in the upcoming 2019-2020 fiscal year, thereby exposing itself to the risk of much higher deficits and debt than projected. While acknowledging
GOWON BOWE the government’s success in holding the deficit for the first nine months to $129.2m, a 51 percent year-over-year reduction
that was aided by a $40m budget surplus for the January-March period, Mr Bowe said it would likely have wanted a better performance during that quarter to help carry it through to the June year-end. With revenue intake likely to fall given that the Bahamian economy has passed the peak of the winter tourism cycle, and there are no projected fiscal fourth quarter boosts from the likes of business licence fee payments, the BICA chief backed the
government’s caution and focus on spending controls to ensure it hits the yearend $237m deficit target. “The only worrying element is the first quarter of the calendar year happens to be the one where you want to run as big a surplus as you can,” Mr Bowe told this newspaper of the government’s nine-month “fiscal snapshot” and performance report. “The fact they did not run a higher one in that quarter means, as the deputy prime
SEE PAGE 4
Bahamas Waste chief hails ‘best year in 30-year history’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net BAHAMAS Waste’s chairman has hailed the company’s “best year in its 30-year history” after 2018 profits soared 18 percent year-over-year to $1.348m. Peter Andrews, writing in the BSX-listed waste collection and services provider’s annual report, said all top-line, expenses and net income indicators moved in the right direction in a “non-remarkable year” where the company failed in its bid to take over the New Providence landfill’s management. “2018 was the best year in the 30-year history of your company,” Mr Andrews told Bahamas Waste’s 1,500
• Net income up 18% in ‘non-remarkable year’ • Waste-to-energy landfill bid not selected shareholders. “For the year, the sales and services rendered increased by six percent as compared to the year 2017, in a non-remarkable year from a special project point of view. “Our expenses, which includes cost of sales and direct expenses, and operating expenses, decreased by four percent and our net income was up by 18 percent. Earnings per share were the highest ever ($0.34) as were the dividends ($0.24). All in all a very good year.” Mr Andrews also touted the increase in Bahamas Waste’s share price
from $3.34 per share in January to $4.90 at yearend, although this was aided by the company’s ongoing share buyback programme. This initiative, which runs until end-October 2021, has already seen the group acquire some 216,695 of its own shares for collective sum of $675,649. The Bahamas Waste chairman, meanwhile, signalled that the company would seek further growth avenues for delivering shareholder value after its landfill bid was rejected by the government in favour of the New Providence Ecology Park group featuring
Providence Advisors and a consortium of rival Bahamian waste services providers. “During the course of the year we provided government with a proposal for the management of the dump, and a waste-toenergy plant,” Mr Andrews wrote. “We were not the chosen bidder for this work. We will continue to explore new avenues to improve the quality of our environment and to make this a better Bahamas for all residents and our tourist guests.” Francisco deCardenas,
SEE PAGE 6