business@tribunemedia.net
TUESDAY, APRIL 30, 2019
$4.82 Govt focusing on ‘hand ups, no give aways’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE deputy prime minister yesterday defended the government as “very responsive” to the poor’s needs, as it was focused on “providing a hand up” rather than “giving away money”. KP Turnquest, hitting out at “misleading” opposition claims that it is too obsessed with austerity measures and hitting its fiscal targets at the expense of assisting Bahamians in distress, said social security spending had increased during the 20182019 fiscal year. “That is very misleading,” he told Tribune Business in response to recent opposition attacks. “If you look at the expenditure, social services expenditure is actually up. There’s no cutting back in that regard. “Second, the investment in the small business area and general support for SMEs, sports groups and the like; there’s no cutting back. That’s misleading that we’re not responsive to people’s particular needs. We are very responsive in terms of the assistance we give. “We’re not the government that gives away money. We provide assistance and a hand up for those in need, and provide a safety net for those that find themselves in a disadvantageous position.” The government’s ninemonth fiscal “snapshot” and budget report, released yesterday, backed Mr Turnquest’s assertion that social security spending had increased year-over-year for the 2018-2019 fiscal year to end-March. It was shown to have risen by $4.5m from $27.8m to $32.3m, an increase of 16.2 percent. “Social Assistance Benefits, which could be in cash or in kind (eg medical services) totalled $32.3m, a gain of $4.5m (16.3 percent ) from last year, and approximated 65.3 percent of the budget,” the report said. “Continuing the observation in the first half, this outcome was primarily attributed to an increase in payments under the National Drug Plan Programme from $6.4m to $12m. “Transfers to households, earmarked to provide relief from the financial burden of various risks and needs, were $0.9m above last year’s spend at $27.7m. Approximately $17.4m of
SEE PAGE 5
$4.86
‘We won’t use up $108m headroom’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
T
HE Ministry of Finance’s top official yesterday voiced optimism that the government will not squander the “$108m headroom” created by the fiscal third quarter’s $40m budget surplus. Marlon Johnson, acting financial secretary, conceded to Tribune Business that “a substantial portion” of the difference between the $129m nine-month fiscal deficit and $237m fullyear target was likely to be used up because the final three months will not be as “buoyant” as the previous quarter. Speaking as the government unveiled its nine-month fiscal “snapshot” and budgetary report, Mr Johnson and K P Turnquest, deputy prime minister, both expressed confidence that the “revenue rich” January-March period had left it well-placed
• Q3’s $40m surplus boost for deficit • ‘Red ink’ cut to $129m for first 9 months • ‘But ‘major portion’ of fiscal space eaten in Q4
MARLON JOHNSON to achieve a full-year deficit target equivalent to 1.8 percent of gross domestic product (GDP). In particular, the government achieved budget surpluses - meaning its income, or revenue, exceeded its spending of $19.3m and $40.1m for February and March, respectively. This more than
offset the $19.4m deficit incurred in January, while also helping to cut the $169m worth of “red ink” run up during the first six months of the 2018-2019 fiscal year. The quarter’s performance thus brought the government’s fiscal position back into line with its targets, after it used up almost three-quarters of the full-year deficit during the first half. Year-over-year, the $129.2m deficit for the first nine months was said to represent a 51 percent reduction on the $261.5m incurred over the same period in 2017-2018. However, Mr Johnson cautioned that the final three months of the 20182019 fiscal year will prove more challenging than the previous quarter due to an expected ramp-up in capital
SOME $7.8m worth of payment fraud complaints were made in 2018, the Central Bank of The Bahamas has revealed, with debit cards accounting for almost 60 percent of cases. The bank and trust company regulator’s 2018 annual report, released yesterday, disclosed that many of the debit card-related fraud complaints stemmed from “a major card skimming scheme” that hit one Bahamas-based financial institution last August. This involves the use of a skimming device to capture all the information stored on the debit card’s magnetic strip. This is then copied on to a blank card’s magnetic strip, enabling thieves to steal a person’s identity and make purchases or
spending and the government’s drive to settle all bills before the June 30 year-end. “It sets the deficit back, and we’ve got about $108m in headroom as far as the deficit is concerned,” he told Tribune Business of the fiscal third quarter performance. “We’d like to see the fourth quarter be as buoyant, but we’re not projecting that as far as revenue is concerned. “We’re likely to use up a substantial portion of that headroom, but we don’t expect to come in outside the approved budgetary allocation for the deficit.” Pointing to potential spending pressures as well, Mr Johnson added: “We’’ll have some substantial expenditure on the capital side as contracts mature and
SEE PAGE 2
Govt ‘feeling pretty good’ with VAT collection at 56% By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE government was yesterday said to be “feeling pretty good” about VAT’s performance despite collecting just 55.6 percent of the 2018-2019 full-year forecast during the first nine months. KP Turnquest, deputy prime minister, told Tribune Business that its major revenue-raising mechanism had performed “in line with projections” during the second and third quarters despite the government’s data giving every indication that full-year targets will not be met. But, rejecting arguments that the VAT rate hike to 12 percent will not achieve the government’s objectives, Mr Turnquest said the full impact was delayed rather than missed. Pointing to the transition period granted to the hotel and construction industries, as well as the consumer “adjustment” to the increase, he argued that such a lag was
• Revenues up $100m or 20% • Well short of matching 60% hike • DPM: Lag ‘not unexpected’
• Debit cards account for 60% of 3,500 cases • Card skimming hit Bahamas entity in 2018 • Almost $41m in dormant accounts for govt withdraw cash in the actual account holder’s name. “The Central Bank began compiling data on the number of fraud cases in 2017, as part of a heightened focus on consumer protection,” its annual report said. “A preliminary analysis of the bank’s 2018 payments survey showed that there were 3,507 reported cases of fraud processed by commercial banks for cheques, debit and credit cards, valued at $7.8m. “Disaggregated by type, cases involving debit cards accounted for 59.5 percent of the total at 2,086, with an associated value
of $3.2m. This reflects in part exposure to a major ‘card skimming’ scheme that affected one domestic entity in August. “Cheque fraud represented 14.6 percent of the aggregate number of cases at 514, for a corresponding value of $2.5m (32.5 percent of the total value). Further, the number of cases involving credit cards stood at 907, which constituted 25.9 percent of the total and an associated value of $2m.” The Central Bank added that, not surprisingly, more than 75 percent of fraud cases were reported in New Providence as The
“not unexpected”. The government’s ninemonth fiscal “snapshot” and budgetary performance report, released yesterday, showed that VAT revenues for the period to end-March were up year-over-year by almost $100m - a 20.2 percent increase. The rise, from $490m to $589m, is well short of matching the 60 percent hike in the VAT rate - something that is likely to be seized upon by the government’s political opponents. They have consistently argued that the magnitude of the rate increase will not be matched by a corresponding surge in VAT revenues. While year-to-date VAT revenues are well short of the $1.062bn full-year projection with just three months of the 2018-2019 fiscal period left, the Ministry of Finance’s top official yesterday said the tax’s year-over-year performance was not a true like-for-like comparison.
SEE PAGE 4
KP TURNQUEST
$7.8m caught in payment frauds By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
$4.86
Bahamas’ largest population centre. Elsewhere, the Central Bank said it had custody of some 41,459 dormant account facilities containing balances worth $108.8m as at year-end 2018. These are accounts where there has been no activity for at least seven years, with Bahamian and US dollars accounting for 89.1 percent of this sum. Legislative reforms enacted last year, though, now allow the government to take ownership of “specific categories of dormant funds” held by the Central Bank for the purposes of
SEE PAGE 6
$4.86 Govt moves on ‘real risk’ posed by SOE losses By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE government yesterday revealed plans to introduce legislation that will address “the real risk” loss-making, inefficient state-owned enterprises (SOEs) pose to its financial health. KP Turnquest, deputy prime minister, told Tribune Business that the State-Owned Enterprises Bill is designed to introduce “the same kind of accountability and discipline” to SOEs that the Minnis administration is currently implementing with central government. He added that the Bill would impose “proper corporate governance” on these entities, and “strengthen the hands” of their boards to oversee operations to “the kind of standard” expected within their various sectors and industries. “As we all know, the SOEs represent a real risk in terms of our exposure,” Mr Turnquest told this newspaper. “Unfortunately, several of them are not at a cost recovery level at this point. “We need to ensure the same kind of discipline and accountability we’re trying to build within the central government system translates down into the operation of these SOEs. The way to do that is ensure they have proper governance, and ensure as much as possible the kind of corporate governance that makes for an efficient utility. “The new legislation is intended to strengthen the hands of the various boards and agencies to bring them to a standard one would expect for the kind of operation they may be involved with. It’s significant.” The Bill’s development was revealed yesterday with the release of the government’s ninemonth fiscal “snapshot” and budget report, which said it was part of broader efforts to reform public sector financial management and reduce the burden on taxpayers. “Work [has] also commenced on the StateOwned Enterprises Bill, which will support an enhanced governance framework for these entities with the objective of securing greater operational efficiency and a reduction in their level of governmental subventions (subsidies),” the report said.
SEE PAGE 3