MONDAY TUESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 81ºF LOW 68ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.82, APRIL 23RD, 2019
HO US E & 16 THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
PA GE S WOMAN: INDEPENDENT BUT DREAMING OF A PRINCE
WSC board dismisses strike votes and questions process
DIRTY WATERS
By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net
EXECUTIVES at the Water and Sewerage Corporation claim that last week’s strike vote by the unions did not meet the requirements to be granted strike certificates. When contacted yesterday, Labour Director John Pinder said the Water and Sewerage Management Union (WSMU) did not have the two-thirds majority vote required for a strike certificate. However, he said the union representing line staff, the Bahamas Utilities Services and Allied Workers Union (BUSAWU), had the required votes mandated by their industrial agreement, however he added Ministry of Labour will have to certify the votes to say if the process was valid. Meanwhile, a statement released by WSC’s board of directors also said there
appeared to be “a joint effort on the part” of the leaders of the two unions to call a strike poll “in furtherance of a trade dispute between employers and employees, with the ultimate objective of bringing further upheaval”. The WSC statement noted that, based on numbers it has received, 32 percent of its managers voted in favour of a strike, 19 percent against and 49 percent abstained. “The Industrial Relations Act states that a representational count must be taken in such actions and no less than 60 percent of employees (two-thirds) in the bargaining unit must vote in favour,” WSC said. The statement added that the constitution of the Water and Sewerage Management Union says that a decision to call a strike must be decided by twothirds majority in a secret ballot. SEE PAGE FIVE
CARNIVAL Corporation, the multi-billion-dollar company set to construct a mega port in East Grand Bahama’s eco-sensitive zone, has broken international environmental laws many times in Bahamian waters, according to a newly-released court mandated report. The report, which covers April 2017 to April 2018 and was prepared by a US court-appointed monitor, reveals how Carnival illegally dumped hundreds of thousands of treated sewage in Bahamian waters
along with more than 8,000 gallons of food waste. “For example, between June 4-16, 2017, the Carnival Elation (ship) discharged approximately 1,270 cubic metres of treated sewage and 22 cubic metres of food waste in Bahamian archipelagic waters in violation of MARPOL and company requirements,” the report says. “Likewise, on June 15, 2017, the Carnival Conquest, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Magic and Carnival Vista made prohibited discharges of sewage and food waste in Bahamian archipelagic waters. SEE PAGE SIX
FACE-TO-FACE
DALE MISSION TO GET BEST OUT OF STUDENTS SEE PAGE EIGHT
BOAT FOUND IN HUNT FOR FISHERMAN By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
RESCUERS searching for a missing elderly Abaconian fisherman have recovered his boat adrift at sea. The Sandy Point community in Abaco has been rocked by the disappearance of 73-year-old fisherman James Green. The elderly man was last seen by his son at around 7am last Tuesday leaving Sandy Cay in a 17ft white and green striped Malibu boat with a 40HP Yamaha outboard engine. SEE PAGE SEVEN
CARNIVAL’S CATALOGUE OF OCEAN DUMPINGS By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
HOME
FIVE SHOT BY AUTOMATIC WEAPON By RASHAD ROLLE & RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporters
BAGS OF FUN
YOUNGSTERS enjoying some Easter fun at the Children’s Hostel on McKinney Drive yesterday. Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff
FIVE people were shot from an automatic weapon in the Montagu Beach area last night. Eight shots rang out at 9.30pm as residents enjoyed the final hours of their Easter holiday break. The victims were taken to Princess Margaret Hospital but police reported no deaths up to press time. Authorities responded to the scene within five minutes, one eyewitness said, and, up to midnight, the SEE PAGE THREE
TWO DIE IN HOLIDAY KILLINGS By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net
TWO men are dead, including a father of one, following two separate shooting incidents over the Easter holidays. The killings took place roughly six hours apart and brought the country’s homicide count to 20 for the year, according to The Tribune’s records. In the latest matter,
KILLED: Byran Smith according to reports, shortly after midnight yesterday police responded
to reports of a male being shot in the area of Forster Street, Chippingham. Officers at the scene discovered a man with a gunshot wound. Paramedics were called and attempted to revive the victim, but were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at the scene. While police have not yet identified the victim, The Tribune understands that he was Byran Smith, 34, a SEE PAGE THREE
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
PETER YOUNG REBELLION? JUST MAYHEM FOR MILLIONS
SEE PAGE TEN