04232019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

TUESDAY, APRIL 23, 2019

$4.70

$4.79

$4.86

RoyalStar targeting Caribbean acquisition By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

ROYALSTAR Assurance and its Trinidadian partner are targeting a Caribbean acquisition that is expected to close before year-end 2019 as part of a regional expansion strategy. Sir Franklyn Wilson, the Bahamian property and casualty insurer’s chairman, told Tribune Business it was seeking to exploit its partnership with Guardian Group - a part-owner of RoyalStar - to diversify and seize Caribbean growth opportunities that will “make a difference to the bottom line”. Revealing that their acquisition target should “be reflected in the 2019 accounts”, Sir Franklyn

SIR FRANKLYN WILSON added that RoyalStar was determined to escape the “eggs in one basket philosophy” due to the hurricane-prone nature of The Bahamas and wider region. He added that the insurer’s strategy was “consistent” with that of Sunshine Holdings,

majority owner of RoyalStar’s 53.05 percent controlling shareholder, and which is “increasingly seeing itself as a blue chip company from The Bahamas” eyeing Caribbean possibilities of its own. Speaking after RoyalStar’s 2018 profits increased by 13.51 percent year-over-year, Sir Franklyn identified one such opportunity as Gateway Financial, the distressed mortgage acquisition and restructuring firm, which is already in Turks & Caicos and seeking to expand into another Caribbean jurisdiction he declined to name. Arguing that the RoyalStar/Sunshine Holdings regional outlook “just makes sense”, he said the group was seeking to leverage its existing relationships and partnerships to give

its regional growth plans a head-start. “Within RoyalStar a significant partner is Guardian Group from Trinidad, the biggest property insurer in the region,” Sir Franklyn told Tribune Business. “It’s quite natural that we can do some of this by partnering with Guardian Group. “That’s a strategic advantage we have. We don’t have to go in there and reinvent the wheel. The Guardian Group and ourselves are co-operating on a possible acquisition that will be reflected in the 2019 accounts. There’s an agreement the lawyers are drafting.” Sir Franklyn declined to identify RoyalStar’s acquisition target and, when asked about potential impact on the Bahamian insurer’s net income and

financial performance, said: “It’s enough.” “We have a criteria for whether we will make an investment or not,” he added, “and that criteria is it has to be big enough to make a difference to the bottom line. If it does not make a big difference to the bottom line, why do it? This is one that meets that criteria.” RoyalStar has built up significant assets with which to finance acquisitions, with its balance sheet holding some $48.772m in cash and other investments at yearend 2018. And it has already implemented the diversification aspect of its Caribbean expansion strategy by reducing its reliance on The Bahamas for the bulk of its underwriting portfolio. SEE PAGE FIVE

SECURITY FIRM TO ‘RAISE BAR’ AS LEGAL WOE ENDS By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

A BAHAMIAN security firm is now focusing on “raising the bar” for itself and wider industry after settling a legal battle with its former partner on the criminal ankle bracelet monitoring contract. Stephen Greenslade, founder and president of ICS Security Concepts, confirmed to Tribune Business that both sides had agreed “to walk away” from their long-running dispute relating

to how the $12m proceeds from the contract with the Ministry of National Security had been split. Secure Alert (now renamed Track Group) last week filed a dismissal notice, which the Puerto Rico federal court approved on April 17, to end the fight with ICS and leave both parties bearing their own legal costs and fees. “We agreed to just walk away,” Mr Greenslade told Tribune Business, adding that both parties had also consented “to not discuss anything about the action”

or its ending. But, explaining their rationale, he said: “Battling a legal case is very expensive potentially. That is one part of it. “The other part is we came to a point where we decided not to fight as persons who were in partnership before. ICS has a culture of fostering peace and harmony in our relationships. We’re happy it’s coming to an end, and we can continue with our vision plan for the next decade in operating our business.” Describing the legal battle with Track Group as

“a major distraction” from ICS’ core business and operations, Mr Greenslade added: “We’re already operating in a tough economy and environment as it is, and distractions are not helpful.” Track Group, Secure Alert’s successor, filed its action with Puerto Rico’s federal court in January in a bid to uphold a $689,613 arbitration award in its favour and against ICS. This move came after the Bahamian security firm successfully convinced the arbitrator, Stuart Weinstein-Bacal, that he had

made “a mathematical error” in that award resulting in an “overpayment” to Track Group. Mr Weinstein-Bacal, on October 22, 2018, amended his calculations to find that ICS owed “zero” to its former partner over the ankle bracelet monitoring contract that they secured in 2009-2010. Now able to put their fight behind him, Mr Greenslade said he and ICS could now turn their attention to their own corporate SEE PAGE SIX

DON’T ‘REINVENT THE WHEEL’ OVER ABACO MEGA PROJECT By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net AN Abaco realtor yesterday queried why the Government was “reinventing the wheel” with new multi-million dollar resort projects when existing ones were for sale at a fraction of these sums. Ed Newell, a broker with Abaco Estate Services, told Tribune Business he was at a loss to explain why the Minnis administration did not steer the developers behind the $580m Tyrsoz Family Holdings project to look at the Treasure Cay resort he is currently marketing for sale. Pointing out that, at $62m, the property is available for a fraction of the

AN ARTIST’s impression of the site in South Abaco. sum that the south Abaco developer is proposing to invest in a greenfield site, Mr Newell said Treasure Cay already possesses many of the amenities - hotels, marina and golf course that it wants to develop. Revealing Treasure Cay’s appearance on the

market has already resulted in approaches from the Radisson hotel group and several private equity firms, he described the 650-acre property as “a diamond in the rough” that required refreshing and new investment. SEE PAGE FOUR

$4.86 EIA FINDINGS CRUCIAL FOR $580M PROJECT By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Abaco Chamber of Commerce’s president says the fate of the $580m mixed-use resort project proposed for the island’s south will be decided by the environmental impact findings. Ken Hutton told Tribune Business that while the Tyrsoz Family Holdings development “covers a lot of the necessary bases”, and has the Chamber’s support from an economic impact perspective, much depended on the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and subsequent Environmental Management Plan (EMP). Confirming that he had personally met with the project’s development manager Ronnie Ben-Zur, chief executive of French Quarter Holdings, and members of his team, Mr Hutton said: “I think the project itself looks like a very good project. “I think they’ve got a lot of the necessary bases covered, but I think it all comes down to the Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Management Plan to make sure what they’re proposing will not be destructive to the environment. SEE PAGE SEVEN

DECADE TO END ‘SOCIAL WELFARE’ SYSTEM IN GOVT By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

A GOVERNANCE reformer has predicted it will take between five to ten years to eliminate “the social welfare system” that much of the public sector has become. Robert Myers, the Organisation for Responsible Governance’s (ORG) principal, told Tribune Business that multiple ministries, departments and agencies were bloated and over-staffed because previous administrations had used public sector hirings to solve both their employment and political issues. He called for a “vision and plan” that would produce sufficient GDP growth to enable the Government to shift excess public workers to private sector employment, and warned: “We can’t turn around and fire 20 percent of the public service.” Speaking after the International Monetary Fund (IMF) last week called for the Government to “further rein in recurrent spending”, Mr Myers said: “We’ve got to get some of the social SEE PAGE EIGHT


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
04232019 BUSINESS by tribune242 - Issuu