04182019 NEWS

Page 1

THURSDAY i’m lovin’ it!

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

HIGH 84ºF LOW 73ºF

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.81, APRIL 18TH, 2019

OBITS OFFICIA

$1

INSIDE

WEEKEND: BEST BUNNIES, BASKETS AND BONNETS FOR EASTER

Govt hit with $11m damages claim

Time to teach them a lesson ‘Immigration is not a Super Police, a law unto itself’

L SOUR CE

STATESIDE

A SPELLBINDING SUNDAY IN AUGUSTA

SEE PAGE EIGHT

TOUGHER FINES FOR DRIVERS WHO KILL By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis said the government will increase penalties for killing in the course of dangerous driving. The US cited traffic fatalities as a major concern in an advisory this week, noting there was a 29 percent increase in trafficrelated deaths from 2017 to 2018. Dr Minnis said the advisory was “coincidental” as he has already told Cabinet ministers “fines must be more harsh than what we’re seeing”. SEE PAGE FIVE

By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net

Mr Smith, in making submissions before Justice Indra Charles, asserted that such a KENYAN native figure is appropriate Douglas Ngumi is suing to “send a message” the government for $11m to the government with interest for illegally that “civil and constidetaining him for six tutional crime” in the years and seven months form of “ubiquitous, at the Carmichael Road unapologetic, endemic Detention Centre, during oppression” which time will “no he alleglonger pay”. edly endured Mr Smith “numerous” requested beatings by the payment immigration be made officials and within 28 contracted days. Failtwo diseases. ure to do so Of that would result sum, $5m is in the govfor exemplary ernment damages; being found FRED SMITH QC $3m is for in contempt false imprisof court. onment, assault and Mr Ngumi is also seekbatteries; $2m is for con- ing legal costs on a full stitutional damages by indemnity solicitor own way of compensation and client basis given the vindication; $1m is for “manner” in which the aggravated damages; and case was conducted by $950 is for special dam- the government. ages, his attorney, Fred SEE PAGE THREE Smith, QC said.

WATER UNIONS OPT FOR STRIKES

By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net

DOUGLAS Ngumi.

Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff

REVEALED - $580M ABACO RESORTS PROJECT By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

A $580M mixed-use South Abaco resort investment is pledging to create 600 full-time jobs and inject $2bn into the area’s struggling economy during its first ten years in operation. A four-page booklet produced by Tyrsoz Family Holdings Ltd, which has been obtained by Tribune Business, details plans to

AN ARTIST’s impression of the site in South Abaco. construct multiple hotels, residential homes, a 136slip marina, golf course, water park, nature preserve and other amenities spread

across almost 1,100 acres that is split into two separate land parcels. The two parcels are said to be “under contract” for purchase by the project’s owners, who are not identified in the report. The principal figure named is Ronnie Ben-Zur, the development manager, chief executive of French Quarter Holdings, a hospitality development company. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

BAHAMAS Utilities Service and Allied Workers Union members have voted in favour of industrial action against the Water and Sewerage Corporation. Yesterday, 155 BUSAWU members in New Providence and other islands where WSC is present cast ballots in support of a strike while 48 members said they did not agree. It was not clear up to press time whether all of the votes had been counted, however SEE PAGE SIX

HAPPY EASTER TO READERS

THE TRIBUNE RETURNS ON TUESDAY


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.