04092019 NEWS

Page 1

MONDAY TUESDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 84ºF LOW 71ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.74, APRIL 9TH, 2019

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

WOMAN: MELANIA A TRUE INSPIRATION AT JUST 11

Runway blunder Pilot took off heading for passenger jet By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net A NEAR mid-air collision between two planes at the Lynden Pindling International Airport in September resulted in the suspension of a pilot and an air traffic controller, a new report by the Air Accident Investigation Department details. Two planes simultaneously departed the same runway around 7am on September 22, 2018. It is not clear how close the planes came to contact, but investigators said the seriousness of two planes heading towards one another from opposite ends of the same runway “cannot be understated”. One of the planes, a

Piper Aztec, C6-JEF, was operated and owned by a 53-year-old private operator. It was headed to the Berry Islands with just the pilot onboard. The other aircraft, a Western Air turbo-prob aircraft, C6-KID, was headed to Grand Bahama with 25 passengers. The chief cause of the near collision was the C6-JEF pilot’s defiance of an air traffic control order –– the pilot departed from the wrong runway and later told investigators he forgot to follow the correct instructions despite previously acknowledging them. The crew of the plane carrying 25 people did not realise another aircraft had taken off towards

PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis yesterday said he is referring the matter concerning the Auditor General’s report into the National Sports Authority to the commissioner of police for “proper investigation”. “I would have spoken to the commissioner of police, I would have spoken to (the) attorney general and I would have spoken to the auditor general,” Dr Minnis

By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net

THE Water & Sewerage Corporation has agreed to let police investigate whether illegal listening devices have been used to spy on WSC employees, Labour Director John Pinder said yesterday. Attempting to stem industrial unrest at the corporation, Mr Pinder met officials of the Water & Sewerage Management Union (WSMU) and the Bahamas Utility Service and Allied Workers Union (BUSAWU) yesterday to discuss this and other issues that have frayed relations between workers and WSC executive chairman Adrian Gibson. The WSMU insists their offices have been bugged. Without providing details, the union claims some workers have been followed home. SEE PAGE FIVE

ONE of the planes was a Piper Aztec, C6-JEF, above, while the other aircraft was a Western Air turboprob aircraft, C6-KID, below, which was heading to Grand Bahama with 25 passengers on board.

SEE PAGE THREE

PM CONFIRMS SPORTS AUDIT GOES TO POLICE By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net

‘WE’LL HELP COPS PROBE BUGGING ALLEGATION’

TWO YEARS FOR PART IN ATTACK ON BREANNA

By NICO SCAVELLA Tribune Staff Reporter nscavella@tribunemedia.net

said while on the sidelines of a loan signing ceremony. “And I informed the commissioner of police that I’m sending (a) report to him so that they can do a proper investigation and deal with the matter appropriately.” These comments came one day after Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister K Peter Turnquest said the government is now considering whether to launch a forensic audit into the NSA for a legal basis to recover funds.

DAVANYA Lawes, one of five women and a minor charged in connection with teenage mother Breanna Mackey’s murder last year, has been sentenced to two years in prison as part of a plea deal. Lawes, who was previously charged with murder, received the sentence after pleading guilty to causing grievous harm to Mackey during the fatal January 25 incident. The time Lawes has already spent on remand, a

SEE PAGE SEVEN

SEE PAGE SEVEN

DAMES’ DELIGHT AT SUSPECTS ARREST By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net

“IT’S a job well done,” National Security Minister Marvin Dames said of the police force’s arrest of two women in relation to a spate of child abduction incidents that tormented New Providence for weeks. Mr Dames made these comments on the sidelines of a loan signing ceremony yesterday, where he congratulated the police and

MINISTER MARVIN DAMES public for a job well done. He also praised the young children who assisted the

police in the investigation by providing details for a composite sketch. New Providence residents were terrorised by the string of abductions primarily targeting young boys that began February 16. The Royal Bahamas Police Force announced on Sunday that one suspect was arrested on Saturday night in the eastern district of New Providence. She is a 29-year-old woman who

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE FIVE

FACE-TO-FACE KEVIN BARES HIS SOUL SO WE ALL CAN SEE SEE PAGE EIGHT


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.