04072022 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

THURSDAY, APRIL 7, 2022

$6.15

$6.25

Defence Force rammers’ ‘lenient’ penalties upheld By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Court of Appeal’s president has declined to impose harsher punishment on three Dominican poachers who rammed a Royal Bahamas Defence Force (RBDF) vessel despite branding their original sentences as “lenient”. Sir Michael Barnett, in a March 18, 2022, oral verdict, said he and his fellow appeal judges, were “not satisfied that it is in the interest of justice” to increase the custodial term imposed upon the trio given that they were due to be released in a week’s time as per the original sentence. This timeline suggests that the Dominicans, who last September were among five arrested when their vessel, Amanda, sought to evade capture

• ‘Not in interests of justice’: Dominican poachers now free • Sir Michael: Ruling not precedent-setting for Fisheries Act • Bahamas ‘just scratching surface’ in combating poaching by ramming HMBS Bahamas, have likely been freed after mere months in jail and are probably by now back in their homeland. The original sentence, by Justice Bernard Turner at the Supreme Court, sparked outrage and fury among Bahamian fishermen because it sent the message to potential poachers that they can still expect minimal punishment if caught in this nation’s territorial waters despite the supposedlytougher sentences and

fines contained in the recently-passed Fisheries Act. The Court of Appeal’s verdict did little to improve the mood yesterday. While acknowledging that the appellate court had been put in a difficult position, Paul Maillis, the National Fisheries Association’s (NFA) secretary, told Tribune Business that The Bahamas was just “scratching the surface of the poaching issue” and needed to “pursue” the owners and financiers

SIR MICHAEL BARNETT of the vessels involved and their processing operations. Until The Bahamas did this, he argued that the money men and those earning the bulk of profits generated from poaching in Bahamian waters will

SEE PAGE 4

$6.16

$6.19

Airbnbs: ‘Don’t wring them out like sponge’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Government was yesterday warned against “wringing out vacation rentals like a sponge” amid fears it is targeting any growth industry for extra tax dollars in its haste to combat The Bahamas’ debt and deficit crisis. Bruce Raine, IPBS (International Private Banking Systems) president, told Tribune Business he had exited the Airbnb vacation rental market last June, converting his property to a long-term lease focused on the domestic market, as he could see a tax grab coming from when the Minnis administration was in office. Speaking after Chester Cooper, deputy prime minister, affirmed that the current government intends to push ahead with plans to levy 10 percent VAT on the full rental amount rather than just the fees/commissions earned by listing platforms such as VRBO, Mr Raine disputed his assertion that the extra cost

this will impose on visitors will not make The Bahamas’ uncompetitive. “I wouldn’t say that. I think it will,” Mr Raine told this newspaper. “It’s going to push the prices right out the top..... They’re [the Government] just greedy. If they see somebody doing making a couple of dollars they want to put their hands in their pocket. It’s not right. They’re all the same. The FNM was doing it, and now the PLP is doing it. People don’t have a chance. It’s crazy.” Vacation rentals have been a critical vehicle in providing a pathway for increased Bahamian ownership in the tourism industry, especially in the accommodation niche, which has long been dominated by foreign-owned mega resorts. The sector has also been viewed as better spreading the wealth across The Bahamas, with visitors able to book vacation rooms in multiple islands, and enabling this nation to appeal to persons seeking authentic local experiences.

SEE PAGE 15

BID to end ‘piecemeal’ AG: Minnis tax changes ‘threatened’ IBC sector Bay Street approach By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Downtown Nassau Partnership’s (DNP) cochair yesterday renewed calls for Bay Street and surrounding areas to be designated as a Business Improvement District (BID) to escape the “piecemeal” approach to redevelopment. Charles Klonaris, backing many of the conclusions contained in the InterAmerican Development Bank’s (IDB) Sustainable Nassau Action Plan, told Tribune Business that downtown’s revival hinges on the creation of such a self-governing body with powers to impose levies on businesses/landlords within the BID to finance improvements to the area. Stakeholders have been calling for a downtown Nassau BID to be established for almost two decades, and Mr Klonaris said its Board - comprised of both public and private sector representatives

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

- would bring the focus the city’s revival needs where the Government cannot. He agreed that, with so many issues competing for the Government’s agenda, successive administrations have been “behind the 8-ball” when it comes to charting downtown Nassau’s restoration due to a “reactive” approach that has left them constantly running behind problems and trying to catch up. “The most important thing is really creating a Business Improvement District within the city and having a public-private partnership (PPP) to manage the city,” Mr Klonaris said in response to Tribune Business disclosures on the Sustainable Nassau Action Plan. “That is so critical, and is something we have been asking for for a long time, which the IDB has endorsed. To me, that’s the critical point. “Once we have that, we have a PPP organisation that will identify issues and

SEE PAGE 5

THE Attorney General yesterday accused the former Minnis administration of endangering The Bahamas’ International Business Company (IBC) sector through ill thoughtout changes to tax laws. Ryan Pinder, addressing the Senate on reforms to various financial services laws, said the previous government had passed

changes to the VAT Act which “threatened the IBC incorporation business” because it subjected these corporate vehicles to a 6 percent levy on the sale of their shares regardless of whether they conducted any business activities in The Bahamas. Asserting that VAT is supposed to be based on domestic consumption activity only, he argued that the 2020 VAT reforms had “caused considerable anxiety within the financial

services industry” because the tax seemingly applied to all Bahamas-domiciled IBCs - even those conducting all their business outside this nation. Amid fears this is making The Bahamas uncompetitive, especially since IBCs are a key vehicle employed in many wealth management and other corporate financing structures, Mr Pinder said the industry was proposing an amendment clarifying that only

SEE PAGE 6

RYAN PINDER


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.