04032019 NEWS

Page 1

WEDNESDAY i’m lovin’ it!

HIGH 81ºF LOW 67ºF

The Tribune Established 1903

24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM

Biggest And Best!

VOLUME:116 No.70, APRIL 3RD, 2019

THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1

ALICIA WALLACE: WHEN SCHOOLS JUST CAN’T STAND ASIDE

We’re just trying to make it clearer Bethel defends proposed changes to Immigration law By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net ATTORNEY General Carl Bethel said yesterday the government’s proposed Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Bill is seeking to establish greater certainty and fairness in its handling of nationality cases. Addressing the legislation outside of Cabinet, Mr Bethel said the government would provide a legal framework to improve upon its ability to deal with offenders, while still being

able to appropriately deal with asylum seekers and anyone that otherwise qualifies to reside or work in The Bahamas. The bill, which is currently out for public consultation, will, among other things, subject persons born in The Bahamas post-independence who have not applied to be or have not been registered as a Bahamian citizen by their 19th birthday to deportation within six months of its implementation if some other legal status is not secured. SEE PAGE SIX

PROPOSED immigration reform that seeks to “maintain this country’s nationhood” has left some activists scratching their heads and migrant children panicked over their ability to remain in the country. The draft Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Bill, 2018 seeks to fill the gaps in the constitution concerning the status of people whose acquisition

of citizenship has been deferred under articles 7 and 9, before and after they become eligible to apply. People in this category are those born in The Bahamas to foreign parents, and those born overseas to married Bahamian women, and the bill provides them a “right to abode”, allowing them to reside and work until they can apply and while their citizenship application is being considered. It also strips the SEE PAGE SIX

BY RIEL MAJOR A WOMAN who was shot on Monday is a reserve police officer, Inspector Leonardo Burrows confirmed yesterday. Insp Burrows told The Tribune that police were actively looking into the incident which took place shortly after 7am near Boatswain Hill. According to police, the 40-year-old - who The Tribune understands to be Adena ShermanYoung - was standing next to the car when she was approached by two armed men. The men opened fire before fleeing in a silver Honda. The woman was shot and taken to hospital where she was last night said to be in a critical but stable condition.

HOTELS PILE UP 48% RISE IN REVENUE By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

DISMAY AND PANIC FOR WHAT’S AHEAD By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net

WOMAN SHOT IN HEAD IS A POLICE RESERVIST

25 YEARS FOR ‘CELLPHONE’ KILLING THEA WILLIAMS, pictured early last year, was yesterday jailed for 25 years for stabbing a teenage mother to death because she broke her friend’s cellphone. Full story - Page 5 Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff

THE hotel industry’s “most robust performance for 12 years”, highlighted by January’s 48 percent year-on-year room revenue increase, was maintained for the entire 2019 first quarter. Robert Sands, Baha Mar’s senior vice-president of government and external affairs, said that this eye-catching growth was achieved “to the detriment of no one” as all resort properties benefited from January’s double-digit rises in occupancies and room nights sold. Mr Sands said the tourism sector was optimistic 2019 first quarter trends will persist provided this nation - and the Caribbean at large - escape “unwelcome visitors” in the shape of major hurricanes. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS

SHIPYARD SUFFERED ‘SIGNIFICANT’ DAMAGE TECHNOLOGY By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net OPERATIONS at the Grand Bahama shipyard resumed yesterday despite the “significant” loss of the site’s largest dry dock, according to officials. The facility was shutdown on Monday following a major industrial accident involving the collapse of a crane. The incident resulted in injuries to eight employees,

THE SHIPYARD yesterday. extensive damage to the property’s main dry dock and visible damage to the

world’s second largest cruise ship, Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas. In separate interviews outside Cabinet yesterday, Deputy Prime Minister Peter Turnquest, Labour Minister Dion Foulkes and State Minister for Grand Bahama Kwasi Thompson all provided updates on various aspects of the accident. For their part, Mr Turnquest and Mr Thompson, each of whom toured the

Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper

SEE PAGE TWO

CAN AI SEE THE FUNNY SIDE OF LIFE? SEE PAGE NINE


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.