business@tribunemedia.net
TUESDAY, MARCH 26, 2019
$4.40
Nassau air arrivals strike 28year peak By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net AIR arrivals to New Providence achieved their highest quarterly growth for 28 years during the final three months of 2018, expanding by 20.6 percent to complete a strong year for Bahamian tourism. The Central Bank’s latest quarterly economic review, covering the final quarter of 2018, revealed: “Total visitors to New Providence strengthened by 15.9 percent during the review quarter, a turnaround from a 2.1 percent reduction in the preceding year, as the key air component firmed by 20.6 percent - the largest percentage increase since 1990, while sea passengers advanced by 14.3 percent. “The Grand Bahama market also showed signs of improvement, as total arrivals grew by 10.3 percent, following a 13.6 percent expansion in the previous year, with the air and sea components advancing by 12.6 percent and 9.9 percent, respectively. “In contrast, total visitors to the Family Islands declined by 9.7 percent, visa-vis a 29.8 percent increase in the comparative period of 2017, as the 11.4 percent decline in the dominant sea component outstripped the 5.3 percent growth in air arrivals.” New Providence’s performance will have been driven by the extra airlift associated with Baha Mar’s full opening and net 2,300 room inventory increase, coupled with improved US consumer confidence and an expanding economy in the market that accounts for around 85 percent of The Bahamas’ tourism customer base. Grand Bahama’s improvement, though, was aided by weak comparatives from the year before that, for the first time, did not reflect the impact of the Grand Lucayan’s late 2017 closure. “Buoyed by the increase in stopover visitors, information from the Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association and the Ministry of Tourism for a sample of large properties in New Providence and Paradise Island showed that total room revenues strengthened
SEE PAGE 3
$4.72
$4.51
Lucayan purchaser decision ‘in process’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
T
HE Grand Lucayan’s chairman yesterday confirmed a preferred bidder for the resort is likely to be announced this week with the board set to submit its recommendations imminently. Michael Scott told Tribune Business that the Grand Lucayan Board was currently finalising its submission to the government as he warned time is running out for the resort’s managers and their representatives to accept what he branded as a “super generous” payout offer. He argued that the Bahamas Hotel Managerial Association (BHMA) members and their president, Obie Ferguson, faced a choice of taking the collective $3.2m voluntary separation package (VSEP) currently available from the government or walking away with much less after the Grand Lucayan is sold and they are terminated. Confirming that the Grand Lucayan’s Board met on Friday to discuss the assessment conducted on
• Would have placed increased burden on itself • By making non-profits ‘incapable’ of operating • Sector’s society services faced cut-back
COURTYARD AT GRAND LUCAYAN RESORT the best three to four purchase offers by Colliers, the Canadian-headquartered real estate firm, Mr Scott said he and his fellow directors were now completing their own report and conclusions for the government. “We’re in the process of doing that right now, but otherwise my lips are sealed,” he told Tribune Business, declining to comment further or identify the likely preferred bidder. Mr Scott and the board had previously set end-March as the deadline for identifying a preferred bidder and
ACTIVISTS have accused Grand Bahama Power Company of employing “strong arm tactics” to force customers to settle the “fake energy savings devices” controversy on its terms. Pastor Eddie Victor, head of the Coalition of Concerned Citizens (CCC), told Tribune Business that the utility’s threat to report businesses and residences where these devices are installed to the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) unless they agreed a “satisfactory” payment plan amounted to “corporate bullying”. A long-time GB Power critic, Pastor Victor questioned why the energy provider was threatening “to drag people to the police and get them
SEE PAGE 5
SEE PAGE 4
SEE PAGE 4
• Hit at police threat on settlement plan • Coalition seeks ‘protocol’ from GBPA • To meet with regulator today arrested” when it had already acknowledged that they were “victims of a fraud” perpetrated by those who had sold and installed such devices. He revealed that the Coalition, together with principals from Sav Mor drugs and other businesses whose electricity was disconnected by GB Power upon discovering the presence of such devices, will meet with the utility’s regulator today to “push for a protocol” on how such situations will be dealt with in the future. The group wants the Grand Bahama Port Authority (GBPA) to establish procedures that will avoid customers being
disconnected from electricity supply for an indefinite period of time - especially in the absence of a set mechanism for how the matter can be redressed and power restored. GB Power, in a statement last Thursday, set out a three-step “remediation” plan for addressing the “fake energy devices” controversy that has created havoc in Freeport and Grand Bahama because of how widely they are being used. It called on all customers to “urgently” report the presence of the “fake” boxes and associated equipment to it, so that GB Power personnel can inspect it and “address any
By NATARIO MCKENZIE Tribune Business Reporter nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net
immediate safety risks” - a process that could result in short-term power outages. “GB Power will make reasonable arrangements for customers to pay for the electricity which has been used but not metered and billed,” the utility’s statement said. “Where GB Power and the customer reach a satisfactory resolution, no complaint will be made to law enforcement.” Therein lies the consequences for those that do not comply with the energy monopoly and settle on its terms, and Pastor Victor told Tribune Business: “I don’t feel the Power Company should be bullying
as Freeport Harbour into a destination product using water-based adventure theme parks. Both sides bring considerable expertise and development resources, with Royal Caribbean adding an extremely large customer base to the mix. Tribune Business sources yesterday suggested that the Grand Lucayan’s acquisition could result in Royal Caribbean electing to use Freeport as a “home port” for some of its cruise ships, with passengers flying in via
Activists slam GB Power over ‘strong arm tactics’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
Poultry producers in push for quotas A BAHAMIAN poultry producer yesterday revealed it is “pushing” for chicken imports to be regulated by quotas rather than the current tariff system as The Bahamas’ march to WTO accession continues. Lance Pinder, operations manager at Abaco Big Bird, told Tribune Business: “Just negotiating a duty rate for poultry would only be one part of the issue. We’re pushing to try and get a quota system in place which will replace the current import regime. You have to get every country that wants to send chicken into The Bahamas, negotiate with them all and come to an agreement. “There are different ways it can be administered, but what happens is you agree on how much can come in. What then would happen is ‘x’ amount will come in at a low duty rate and, once that threshold is met, the duty rate jumps up much higher and discourages importation after a certain amount of pounds has entered the country. “That’s what we’re pushing for. We’ve brought that up in WTO talks, and that’s where we think things are headed.That’s pretty common in poultry systems around the world.” Quotas are another means of protecting local industries from foreign competition by restricting the volume of imports admitted into a country. Once import volumes for a particular product reach a pre-determine amount, threshold or benchmark, no more are permitted to cross the border. Zhivargo Laing, The Bahamas’ chief negotiator in the bid for full World Trade Organisation (WTO) membership, previously revealed that poultry was one area where foreign countries were interested in seeing tariff reductions beyond what this nation has offered to-date. “Some countries have asked us to lower duties further in areas in which they have an export interest; poultry is one of those areas,” Mr Laing said. Mr Pinder yesterday said Bahamian producers
MICHAEL SCOTT
submitting their proposal to the government - a timeline that will be hit by the end of this week. While no details have been forthcoming on the Colliers assessment or board meeting’s outcome, multiple Tribune Business sources expect that the ITM/Royal Caribbean joint venture will likely be selected as the preferred bidder. The Mexican port developer and cruise line are proposing to transform the Grand Lucayan, and the surrounding area, as well
$4.56
Seize ‘new optimism’ for Bahamian empowerment By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A CABINET minister yesterday urged The Bahamas to seize the “new optimism” and empower more local ownership of an economy that “is beginning to tick”. Dionisio D’Aguilar, minister of tourism and aviation, told Tribune Business that investors were “very bullish on The Bahamas right now” as the government seeks to pull “more irons out of the fire” to join investment projects already in motion. Reiterating previous calls that “now is the time for Bahamians to invest”, Mr D’Aguilar urged existing and budding entrepreneurs to determine how they can exploit the “multiplier effect” created by major foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows. “We’ve got a lot of irons
• Minister: ‘Economy beginning to tick’ • Govt has multiple ‘irons in the fire’ • Says ‘right time’ for locals to invest in the fire and are waiting for all of them to be finalised,” he said. “The Disney deal is now done. We have the Carnival iron in the fire in Freeport, the Grand Lucayan iron in the fire, and the cruise port iron in the fire in Nassau. “We’re kind of in the negotiating phase where not much will be said until we have a deal. We’re in that period now where we’re fully in the process of negotiations, and just have to wait for it to be done. I’m optimistic about what will imminently be forthcoming in all these transactions, but the devil’s in the details and we continue to thrash DIONISIO D’AGUILAR
SEE PAGE 4