03212019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

THURSDAY, MARCH 21, 2019

$4.40

LIGHTHOUSE POINT

‘Night and day’ - if Disney’s $32m effect stays on island By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net DISNEY’S cruise port will have “a night and day” effect on South Eleuthera provided most of its forecast $32.2m annual impact remains in the community, a business leader said yesterday. Thomas Sands, the Eleuthera Chamber of Commerce’s president, told Tribune Business that the area now needed “a strategy to maximise the benefits” that will flow from the cruise line’s planned $250m-$400m investment so that local businesses and workers feel the brunt of its advantages. Speaking after the prime minister tabled the government’s Heads of Agreement with Disney in Parliament yesterday morning, Mr Sands said the deal’s details “sound like Christmas” on the surface if all sides fulfill their obligations. He warned, though, that the government needed to assist in providing “another level of support” so that South Eleuthera

SEE PAGE 4

MULTIPLE Grand Bahama businesses and residents could be “victims of a fraud” that may have cost the island’s sole electricity provider millions of dollars, it was revealed yesterday. Grand Bahama Power Company, describing the alleged “energy saving devices” at the centre of its probe as “fake”, said the electricity cost reductions at premises where they had been installed were only achieved by bypassing or tampering with the meter. And GB Power’s

By NATARIO MCKENZIE Tribune Business Reporter nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net

A

CABINET minister yesterday said Bahamian tourism is “firing on all cylinders” with forward stopover bookings for the next three months some nine percent ahead of 2018 comparatives. Dionisio D’Aguilar, minister of tourism and aviation, revealed that forward booking indicators for April - which contains the Easter weekend - were up 15.6 percent year-over-year due to the timing of when the holiday fell. Confirming that The Bahamas’ higher-spending air arrivals were meeting projected early increases, Mr D’Aguilar said the 2019 first quarter was maintaining the momentum generated by an “unprecedented” 2018 performance. “The Bahamas is experiencing unprecedented growth. The record year up until recently was 2014, with 5.3m [total visitors], and we have now blown that way with 6.6m. We’re hoping that this year that would continue, maybe not at the same rate of growth, that’s a bit ambitious,” he

regulator, speaking out for the first time last night, said its own investigation had revealed that all the work and installations performed by the company selling these devices “was unpermitted” and “executed outside the scope of their licence”. The Grand Bahama Port Authority (GBPA) urged homeowners and businesses to contact its Building and Development Services department if any so-called “energy cost saving devices” had been installed at their location so it could ensure the work was permitted and compliant with the building code.

SEE PAGE 6

CCA succeeds in halting Sarkis $2.25bn lawsuit By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

BAHA Mar’s main contractor has persuaded a New York court to halt Sarkis Izmirlian’s $2.25bn fraud and breach of contract claim against it until its appeal has been heard. The New York State Supreme court’s appeal division has stayed all aspects of the case against China Construction America (CCA) until it hears the contractor’s appeal against the lower court’s emphatic

$4.42

Tourism ‘firing on all cylinders’ via 9% rise

Electricity theft ‘fraud victims’ face big bills By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

$4.42

rejection of its bid to strike out Mr Izmirlian’s case. The appeals division granted CCA’s request after agreeing that the Chinese state-owned firm was “at risk of irreparably” losing its right to take Mr Izmirlian’s claim to arbitration rather than have it continue through court proceedings. “Absent a stay, Defendants will be forced to jeopardise their right to arbitration by filing counterclaims and by

SEE PAGE 8

• Stopover bookings up 15.6% for April • Minister: Growth is ‘unprecedented’ • And matching early year forecast

DIONISIO D’AGUILAR conceded at a press conference yesterday. “I think we have done an excellent job marketing the destination. We started our new campaign with Lenny Kravitz, which has created enormous brand awareness. The Bahamas is a hot place to come to. What has suddenly changed? New inventory [Baha Mar], new brand campaign, we’re firing on all cylinders and it’s having a significant impact on our economy.” Ministry of Tourism data shows forward bookings over the next three months, the March to May 2019 period, are running nine

percent ahead for international arrivals. Its data partner, Forward Keys, which tracks and reports inbound visitor data from key markets, reported that international arrivals to The Bahamas grew by 15 percent in January 2019 versus January 2018. “Several key markets registered double digit growth,” Mr D’Aguilar said. “In February, international arrivals increased by 11 percent year-overyear. The forward booking situation for the next three months, March to May is optimistic, with forward bookings running nine percent ahead for international arrivals. April, which is ahead by 15.6 percent, shows the most favourable outlook.” The figures revealed yesterday indicate that The Bahamas’ tourism performance is broadly in line with the forecast given by Mr D’Aguilar in January, when he told Tribune Business that projected air arrivals would be up 16 percent for three of 2019’s

$4.45

‘We’d be double size’ if not for SEC probe By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

first four months. “We’re still experiencing this incredible growth,” Mr D’Aguilar told Tribune Business then, referring to the advance booking data captured by ForwardKeys. “Initial indications are that air arrivals for the month of January, air arrivals are projected up by 15.6 percent. February will be up 16.3 percent, and March down by 2.8 percent. April is forecast to be up by 16.8 percent.” Mr D’Aguilar explained that the year-over-year forward bookings comparison for March was down due to the timing of Easter. Whereas that peak travel period fell at the end of March in 2018, the holiday this year occurs further into April. He added that the ForwardKeys data, while representing “arrivals on the books in The Bahamas”, did not cover the entire market and only accounted for several key tourist feeder markets for

A “SUPER-STRONG” Bahamian broker/ dealer would be “twice the size it is now” if not for a “bogus” US investigation targeting its principal, Tribune Business was told yesterday. Guy Gentile, head of MintBroker International, the former Swiss America Securities, told this newspaper that the Bay Street-based business’ “super strength” - with $20m in annual revenues and profit margins in the 30 percent range - had enabled it to withstand the Securities & Exchange Commission’s (SEC) ongoing offensive against himself. Describing the US capital markets regulator’s actions as totally unjustified, he reiterated that it had no evidence to prove its central allegation that he and MintBroker had been directly soliciting American clients while lacking the necessary registration approvals to do so. “It’s frustrating to me that where the [US] government someone or investigates someone there’s always the perception you’re doing something wrong,” he told

SEE PAGE 5

SEE PAGE 7


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.