03182019 BUSINESS

Page 1

business@tribunemedia.net

MONDAY, MARCH 18, 2019

$4.40

GRAHAM WHITMARSH

NHI chief: ‘We have work to’ justify model By NATARIO MCKENZIE

Tribune Business Reporter

nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net NATIONAL Health Insurance’s (NHI) top executive yesterday admitted “we have work to do” to convince the government its “financing model” will not result in multi-million dollar shortfalls. Graham Whitmarsh, the NHI Authority’s managing director, confirmed to Tribune Business that the assumptions underpinning the scheme’s proposed pricing and costs were being assessed in conjunction with the Ministry of Finance to ensure they were accurate. Describing this as “healthy” and “part of the process”, Mr Whitmarsh said the government wanted to get it right rather than risk burdening

SEE PAGE 6

THE Bahamas’ chief WTO negotiator last night slammed as “absolute nonsense” assertions that the government is willing to open the legal services sector up to foreign firms. Zhivargo Laing, the former Cabinet minister, told Tribune Business it was “an absolute lie” to suggest that The Bahamas was prepared to permit the physical presence of foreign law firms in this nation as part of its accession to full World Trade Organisation (WTO) membership. He said he had “made it

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

A

BAHAMASbased oil explorer has cemented “the certainty we’ve been craving” with a $2.54m working capital raise that will underpin all activities leading to the drilling of its first well by 2020. Simon Potter, Bahamas Petroleum Company’s (BPC) chief executive, told Tribune Business yesterday that last week’s share placement had generated funding that will enable it “to put our best forward” as it seeks to secure the joint venture (farm in) partner and government approvals necessary to spud its first exploratory well. Earlier, in an announcement to the markets on the capital raising, Mr Potter said “now, more than ever, we believe that the ingredients for success are present” - indicating that BPC feels its current licence, regulatory and financial certainty provide it with the

clear that no such thing will happen” during a recent meeting between The Bahamas’ negotiating team and the Bar Association, adding that he had warned WTO member states he would “need an apartment in Geneva” should that be permitted. However, Dave Allen, an attorney with Bahamas Law Chambers, last night told this newspaper he stood by his concerns that The Bahamas is prepared to open the legal profession to foreign law firms establishing a physical presence in this nation. The assertion, made in a column he has authored,

SEE PAGE 7

Freeport can be exchange control removal test bed

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

A WELL-KNOWN QC has urged the Government to use Freeport to test out further exchange control liberalisation and end Bahamians’ status as “second class citizens in their own economy”. Fred Smith QC, pictured, the Callenders & Co attorney and partner, told Tribune Business it was “absurd” that Bahamian investors must continue paying an exchange control

$4.42

Oil explorer’s $2.54m is ‘certainty we’ve craved’

WTO open up to foreign law firms ‘total nonsense’ By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net

$4.42

premium - albeit much reduced - to invest and purchase shares in foreign listed companies operating in this nation. Arguing that this was further depriving Bahamians “of a piece of their own economic pie”, he blasted: “I again invite the government to give up these unnecessary, stringent exchange controls on the purchase of shares in non-Bahamian companies that are listed on international stock exchanges and

SEE PAGE 3

• BPC ‘now, more than ever’ closer to drilling • Capital raise puts its ‘best foot forward’ • ‘Not resting on laurels’ with end-2020 goal strongest foundations it has ever enjoyed. When asked by this newspaper whether BPC believed the stars were starting to align for its project, Mr Potter said that was “certainly the feeling”. However, he was quick to add that it was “not counting our chickens, not resting on our laurels”, and has much work to do to bring the exploratory well to reality before its current three-year licence expires at year-end 2020. Already boosted by the government’s recent confirmation of that licence’s duration, BPC last week moved to capitalise on that clarity by raising $2.54m in gross proceeds from investors by selling 120m ordinary shares at a price of 1.6p - an amount equivalent to 7.1 percent of its new share capital. “That’s just a small working capital raise,” Mr Potter

explained yesterday. “We need enough working capital to ensure the company can run efficiently through the terms of the licence... “Now that we and the government have established a level of certainty there’s a bunch of work we need to get done, and this working capital raise ensures we can get it done effectively and allows us to underpin that work.” Putting the capital raising together with the licence confirmation, and both BPC and the government’s commitment to develop a process for obtaining the necessary environmental approvals, Mr Potter said of their combination: “It gives everybody the level of certainty we’ve been craving for the last few years, and we can certainly pass this on to any third party. “It gives us the ability to put our best foot forward.

That’s the best foot forward in geological terms and a technical sense, but also in an environmental sense to ensure we have a safe, environmentally responsible well. “We’re not counting our chickens, not resting on our laurels. There’s quite a lot of work to be done to ensure we complete the well to the highest standard, environmentally and geologically, and ensure we complete the well to the highest standards environmentally and geologically, and choose the best location to maximise our chances of success.” The capital raising’s completion clears the way for BPC to focus solely on its parallel paths of securing a farm-in, or joint venture partner, to share the multimillion dollar costs and technical burden of drilling

SEE PAGE 8

$4.45

KRAVITZ

SHERMAN

Kravitz deal new focus of beauty queen’s struggle By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Ministry of Tourism’s multi-million dollar marketing deal with Lenny Kravitz is central to the latest flare-up in its ongoing copyright battle with a former Bahamian beauty queen. Tribune Business can reveal that the agreement with the Grammy-award winning rock artist is the only music licence that the Ministry is refusing to hand over to Khiara Sherman, the former Miss Bahamas Universe, in their ongoing legal fight in the southern Texas federal court. The ministry’s US attorneys, Hogan Lovells, in a March 15, 2019, letter to Judge Nancy Atlas, said the Kravitz deal’s details were “highly sensitive and confidential because this is an

SEE PAGE 9


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.