business@tribunemedia.net
TUESDAY, MARCH 12, 2019
$4.40
$4.28
$4.42
$4.45
New car dealers: Lucayan managers told: Recovery, but ‘There’s no more money’ not like ‘06-07 By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
G
RAND Lucayan managers were yesterday bluntly warned “there’s no more money” after they rejected the government’s $3.1m payout offer and took their grievances to the Industrial Tribunal. Michael Scott, chairman of the government-owned vehicle that owns the resort, told Tribune Business that its Board and the government had no option but “to draw a line in the sand” to protect the financial interests of Bahamian taxpayer amid ongoing efforts to sell the property. Disclosing that the government and the Bahamas Hotel Managerial Association (BHMA), which represents the resort’s 114 managers, were still $2.4m apart on their valuations of the voluntary separation packages (VSEPs) that should be offered to those wanting to leave, Mr Scott suggested the Grand Lucayan Board would now seek to cut Mr Ferguson out of the discussions. He indicated that it would deal directly with the 90 managers wanting to leave if the terms were right, with
• Union rejects latest $3.1m payout offer • Takes battle back to Industrial Tribunal • Board: ‘We’ve drawn a line in the sand’
MICHAEL SCOTT
OBIE FERGUSON
the board and government adopting a “take it or leave it” position where those who opted not to take the VSEP will be expected to continue reporting to work. Mr Scott described the worker payouts as a “sideshow” and distraction from the board’s main work, which is to focus on selling the Grand Lucayan to the buyer best able to transform the resort and surrounding area into a true destination, thereby reviving Freeport’s and the wider Grand Bahama tourism product.
The Grand Lucayan Renewal Holdings chairman revealed that the Board and its adviser, Canadian-headquartered real estate firm, Colliers, had narrowed the 60 bids to acquire the resort down to “three or four finalists” and will soon be in a position to make its recommendation on the winner to the government. Mr Scott spoke out after Obie Ferguson, president and attorney for the BHMA, yesterday brought the VSEP battle before the Industrial Tribunal in Freeport,
after the Grand Lucayan’s managers last week “overwhelmingly” rejected the government’s February 27, 2019, offer to them. Mr Ferguson told Tribune Business that offer, submitted by Dionisio D’Aguilar, minister of tourism and aviation, was virtually identical to the last proposal by the Grand Lucayan Renewal Holdings Board. He added that it even represented “a slight step back”, as the total payout value had been reduced from the board’s previous $3.2m to $3.1m. Mr Ferguson confirmed that the BHMA felt the total due to its members was $5.5$5.6m, a figure that includes the annuity retirement fund set up by the resort’s previous owner, Hutchison Whampoa. Describing the situation as “terrible” and “ridiculous”, the Trades Union Congress (TUC) chief and veteran labour advocate accused the government and resort’s board of “failing to
SEE PAGE 4
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
THE Bahamian new car industry is “at the initial stages of recovery”, a leading dealer said yesterday, with the sector hoping this can be spread more equitably via the upcoming budget. Fred Albury, the Bahamas Motor Dealers Association’s (BMDA) president, told Tribune Business while the outlook for the industry “looks a little brighter” following 12 successive years of decline its rebound had not been spread unevenly. While Tribune Business understands that industry-wide new auto sales are ahead of last year’s comparisons for the first two months of 2019, Mr Albury said the improvement had largely been driven by dealers with vehicles whose engine size is 1.5 litres or less. While they are able to enjoy the benefits from the last budget’s tax cuts, which reduced Excise Tax rates on such vehicles from 65 percent to 25 percent, those solely with inventory above this engine size are facing higher rates that make them price uncompetitive. With the industry having “made the case” for the
reduced tax rates to apply to more vehicles, Mr Albury said the BMDA and its members were hopeful further reforms could be introduced with the upcoming 2019-2020 budget after the recent mid-year statement passed without incident. He admitted that the new car industry was unlikely to again experience the heady days of 2006-2007, when new auto sales peaked prerecession, but said there was “some optimism” among dealers that the market had bottomed out and is slowly starting to revive. “There has been a bit of an uptick where the duty cuts applied, but it’s only shifted the focus to the 1.5cc category at the expense of those that don’t have them,” Mr Albury, who heads Auto Mall, told Tribune Business yesterday. “What has happened is that some of the dealers have been left out in the cold not having product in these engine sizes. “It makes it a bit lopsided; some are in and some are out. We have requested that they [the government] look at raising the bar, or creating another category, to accommodate vehicles over 1.5cc
SEE PAGE 5
Chamber chief: Full Bahamas ‘not in clear’ as blacklist escape signalled • Media reports say nation to avoid EU tax list disclosure on Disney deal By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
By NATARIO MCKENZIE
Tribune Business Reporter
nmckenzie@tribunemedia.net THE Eleuthera Chamber of Commerce’s president yesterday called for the Heads of Agreement (HOA) for Disney’s $250-$400m Lighthouse Point project, and the development “strategy”, to be made public. Thomas Sands told Tribune Business he attended an Eleuthera Town Hall meeting on Saturday night where Dr Hubert Minnis spoke on the project and confirmed the agreement’s signing. “I commended the prime minister for coming to visit the people and communities to share information and stay in touch. I did, however, have a few concerns,” he revealed. “I think first of all we were told that a Heads of Agreement was signed, and there
THOMAS SANDS was an overview of some of the points. I wanted to know when the official document would be shared so we can see the details. The PM provided some headline details but I think it would be wise if we could dive into the details. “I also did not hear at that particular meeting a strategy to ensure the execution of that agreement; a strategy of the Bahamas government to ensure the local community takes advantage of the
SEE PAGE 4
THE Bahamas was yesterday warned “it is not in the clear” despite international media reports suggesting it has escaped the European Union (EU) tax “blacklist” due to be announced today. Branville McCartney, the former Democratic National Alliance (DNA) leader, cautioned against any premature celebration over such an outcome - both because it has yet to be officially confirmed and the fact that avoiding it has resulted in “the ruining of our financial sector”. A Cabinet minister under the last Ingraham administration, he added that even if The Bahamas was not listed “you can bet your bottom dollar” the EU and other multinational agencies will find different means to attack this nation again given that their ultimate
• Bran: Escape caused ‘ruining’ of industry • ‘Bet your bottom dollar’ on further threats
BRANVILLE MCCARTNEY goal is to drive it out of the financial services business. Mr McCartney was speaking after multiple reports coming out of the EU’s Brussels headquarters yesterday suggested that The Bahamas will not be included on its “blacklist” of countries deemed
“uncooperative” in the war against global tax evasion and avoidance. A report from Politico quoted Pierre Moscovici, the EU’s commissioner for tax, economic and financial affairs, as identifying the ten countries that should be added to the 28-nation bloc’s “blacklist” today - and The Bahamas is not among them. Seven of these nations are alleged to have failed to live up to commitments previously given to the EU to bring their laws and regulations into line with its demands. “These are Aruba, Belize, Bermuda, Fiji, Oman, Vanuatu and Dominica,” Moscovici told Politico. The other three nations’
tax transparency regimes are deemed by EU officials to have worsened over the past months. Moscovici identified them as Barbados, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the Marshall Islands. Together, these ten nations will join the five already on the “blacklist” - American Samoa, Guam, Samoa, Trinidad and Tobago, and the US Virgin Islands. There were signs, though, that the tax “blacklist”, which has to be approved and ratified by the EU’s finance ministers, was running into political headwinds with Italy pressing the case for the UAE not to be included.
SEE PAGE 5
Bahamian broker left at SEC mercy By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net A BAHAMIAN broker/ dealer and its staff remain at the mercy of US regulators after a federal court found its principal had failed to justify the imposition of an emergency restraining order. Chief district judge Jose Linares, sitting in the New Jersey federal court, ruled on Friday that Guy Gentile had not proven that he and his Bay Street-based broker/dealer, MintBroker International, would suffer “irreparable harm” if the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) continued its nine-year probe into their activities. Mr Gentile had argued that himself and MintBroker, previously called SwissAmerica Securities, had seen six financial
• US judge rejects Gentile injunction bid • Fails to prove ‘irreparable harm’ for MintBroker • US regulator free to continue investigation institutions including banks and clearing houses sever business and account relationships as a result of SEC subpoenas requesting information on them. Fearing more subpoenas, and the loss of more such relationships, Mr Gentile applied to the New Jersey court for a temporary injunction to halt the SEC’s probe until his full case demanding that it cease and desist can be heard. In particular, Mr Gentile warned that the future of MintBroker International and its 60 Bahamian jobs was under threat unless the US federal regulator was restrained, but his argument
appeared to carry little weight with Judge Linares. Pointing out that temporary injunctions were “extraordinary remedies that are not routinely granted”, the US judge found Mr Gentile “has failed to demonstrate a ‘clear showing of immediate irreparable injury’ in the absence of” its imposition a fatal flaw to his case. While several financial institutions had severed their relationships with himself and his Bahamian broker/dealer, Judge Linares said this was “past harm” that - if Mr Gentile won his case - wad best dealt with via a damages award rather than an injunction
that merely preserved the “status quo”. The New Jersey court also ruled that Mr Gentile’s fear of future harm from more SEC subpoenas was “speculative”, as he did not produce proof showing any were imminent or had been issued. “Furthermore, plaintiff has failed to demonstrate that any future harm would not be adequately addressed by an award of monetary damages,” Judge Linares wrote. “Because plaintiff has failed to meet his burden of demonstrating immediate, irreparable harm in the absence of a
SEE PAGE 5