MONDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 83ºF LOW 71ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.53, MARCH 11TH, 2019
HO US E & 16 THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
HOME
PA GE S SPORTS: JUDO STAR ON HER WAY TO THE OLYMPICS Three days after closed-door signing, PM reveals... HELP COPS
Disney’s go-ahead in ‘$400m’ project Lighthouse Point plan allows land for national park By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net
THE government and Disney Island Development Ltd have signed a Heads of Agreement for the construction of a $250m to $400m cruise port and entertainment facility at Lighthouse Point, Eleuthera. The deal, announced by Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis during a recent town
hall meeting, allows for the conveyance of 190 acres of land along the southernmost point of the property — a $6.29m value — to the government for establishment of a national park. In a subsequent statement on the announcement, the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) also noted Disney’s “completed acquisition” of the highly sought after property from a “private seller”. SEE PAGE THREE
By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
THE country’s national debt as of December 2018 stood at $7.5bn, Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis has revealed, meaning every Bahamian incurred a debt of nearly $7,000 each. As he held town hall meetings over the weekend in Eleuthera and several parts of Andros, Dr Minnis made the admission, echoing the criticism that there
By KHRISNA RUSSELL Deputy Chief Reporter krussell@tribunemedia.net
ROYAL Bahamas Police Force investigators have no leads and are challenged with getting people to come forward with information that could lead to the arrest of the person responsible for the abduction of three boys on Thursday. Police confirmed on Friday that three boys were taken in last Thursday’s incident and not two as officers initially reported. In this abduction, all of the boys were relatives. Two were eight-years-old and the third was ten, police said. This means that four boys were taken and released, unharmed, in two separate incidents within a 24-hour SEE PAGE FIVE
INSIGHT
COUNTRY’S DEBT WE ALL OWE $7K
was fiscal irresponsibility by the former Christie administration. The tour is in keeping with his commitment to Family Islanders to keep them informed of government decisions and progress periodically. He also used the tour to tout his government’s progress, while at the same time painting the Progressive Liberal Party as an organisation not concerned with the best interest of Bahamians. SEE PAGE SIX
FIND THE CHILDREN SNATCHER
CRIME STOPPERS REWARD TO HELP IN HUNT SEE PAGE 11
FERRY BOSS HID SECRET DEAL FROM EMPLOYER
FEAST FOR THE EYES
HUNDREDS of people enjoyed music and food at the Greek Fest, held at the Greek Orthodox Church in Nassau, over the weekend. Photo: Terrel W Carey Sr/Tribune Staff
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED TO MY SON? By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net
THE father of a 30-year-old biker killed in a collision last week has raised issues with the police’s account of the incident, claiming his son was being chased by officers when he was fatally struck by a vehicle that allegedly had run a traffic light. In an interview with The Tribune yesterday, Clarence Dean Sr suggested
KILLED: Clarence Dean Jr the preliminary reports surrounding his son’s crash had failed to “clearly
identify several important things”, insisting that all accounts received from those who had witnessed the crash noted police involvement. “I just want to know what actually happened,” he said. “The reports say my son ran a red light and hit a truck, but everyone that was there, two other riders and three young women, they all say the police saw them, pursued them and things got out of hand for SEE PAGE SEVEN
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
HERNAN Calvo, the former chief executive of Balearia Caribbean, must pay his ex-employer $2.844m in damages for effectively stealing the Resorts World Bimini ferry contract from under them. The Spanish ferry operator was deprived of the chance to bid on the Bimini deal because Mr Calvo concealed the chance from it. Calvo, according to a US court ruling obtained by Tribune Business, first entered into secret talks to steer the Resorts World contract to a rival Argentinian ferry company, Buquebus. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS