TUESDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 82ºF LOW 71ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.44, FEBRUARY 26TH, 2019
THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
SPORTS: MYSTIC MARLINS WINS 37TH CLASSIC TITLE
FBI secret tapes expose visa scam Recordings reveal how ‘fixer’ worked with Immigration By AVA TURNQUEST Tribune Chief Reporter aturnquest@tribunemedia.net THE US Federal Bureau of Investigation claims it has more than six hours of audio recordings between Haitian-Bahamian Edward Israel Saintil and an unnamed immigration officer discussing bribery payments made to senior officials to secure permit approvals. The bribes ranged from $400 to $2,500. US Attorney Jessie Liu has recommended a prison sentence of six months for Saintil, who was convicted last year after an explosive FBI undercover
operation into US visa fraud in The Bahamas. In supporting documents, Ms Liu submitted an updated declaration from FBI special agent Kevin Gounaud summarising audio recordings obtained from a forensic audit of Saintil’s cell phone, which was seized and searched as part of his plea deal. The recordings represent “hundreds of voice notes” sent between Saintil and the unnamed “mid-level, clerical-type” official (referred to as IO#1) from May 2017 up until Saintil’s arrest in September 2018. SEE PAGE THREE
PINERIDGE MP Frederick McAlpine hit out at Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis yesterday, likening the nation’s leader to a coach keeping a “good player” on the bench due to “personal or petty” reasons. During a wide-ranging press conference at his office yesterday - three days after not attending a
meeting Dr Minnis held with supporters in Grand Bahama – Mr McAlpine also expressed scepticism his party would win the next general election. He also said he did not agree with politicians going around calling other parties corrupt, as Dr Minnis did to the Progressive Liberal Party on Friday. Despite his evident frustration with the FNM, Mr McAlpine did not say he SEE PAGE FIVE
By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net
TRAFFIC police in New Providence are investigating an early morning hit-and-run incident that left a woman dead and a man in hospital. According to police, shortly after 6.30am yesterday, a man and a woman were walking along the southern side of Sealink Drive, South Beach when they were hit by a Nissan Cube that drifted out of the eastbound, northern lane. Chief Superintendent Craig Stubbs, officerin-charge of the Traffic Division, said paramedics responded and pronounced the woman dead at the scene. She had reportedly suffered “significant head trauma”. SEE PAGE SEVEN
MOODY’S GLUM ON HITTING DEFICIT
MCALPINE: DON’T BE SO PETTY, DR MINNIS By DENISE MAYCOCK Tribune Freeport Reporter dmaycock@tribunemedia.net
HIT-AND-RUN DRIVER HELD AFTER FATAL DAWN CRASH
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
SPIKE’S G-LEE (BUT NOT FOR LONG)
SPIKE LEE’S first-ever competitive Oscar award turned Sunday’s mostly staid ceremony into one with joy and passion, but that later gave way to frustration. Full coverage - Page 11
MOODY’S is urging further “restraint” in public spending while predicting the government will miss the 1.8 percent deficit target set by the Fiscal Responsibility Act for 2018-2019. The credit rating agency, in an update that accompanied its upgrading of The Bahamas’ outlook from “negative” to “stable”, warned that the government’s $237m deficit objective was still “attainable” but would likely require further spending curbs between now and end-June to hit target. FULL STORY - SEE BUSINESS
INSIDE THE NEW WORLD OF PORT NASSAU By MORGAN ADDERLEY Tribune Staff Reporter madderley@tribunemedia.net
GLOBAL Ports Holding’s goal for Prince George Wharf is to transform the area into a “state-of-the-art port and waterfront destination” that will feature a Junkanoo museum, open air amphitheatre, and laser light shows. The government has selected the company’s $250m bid to redevelop Prince George Wharf.
HOW the port will look. Global Ports Holding has recently released a nearly ten-minute long video
depicting the company’s vision for the area. Of the decision, Bahamas Institute of Chartered Accountants president Gowon Bowe said yesterday private management is “certainly a positive” thing, noting the Lynden Pindling International Airport is a “successful model” of what can occur when the right team is deployed to “run an effective” transportation port. “This project marks SEE PAGE TWO
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
WOMAN
IT’S NEVER TOO LATE TO START AGAIN