business@tribunemedia.net
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2019
$4.15
$4.20
$4.20
$4.14
‘Myth debunked’: Nassau told: ‘Don’t fear’ Web shops no Freeport’s cruise ports illicit finance risk By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
N
ASSAU has “nothing to be afraid of” from Freeport’s two mega cruise ports, the Minister of Tourism is arguing, while admitting both projects have added “fresh” urgency to the capital’s revival. Dionisio D’Aguilar, rejecting fears that the major cruise lines will have little reason to call on Nassau if their Freeport projects come to fruition, told Tribune Business that the industry’s rapid growth meant The Bahamas needed to make “more of our country available to them”. With 90 cruise ships under construction, and worldwide demand for cruise vacations growing rapidly, he said The Bahamas needed to maintain its competitiveness by providing new destinations that exploit this nation’s proximity to the industry’s largest home ports.
• Dionisio: ‘We can’t remain static’ • But ‘fresh urgency’ to Nassau revival • Freeport won’t influence Nassau award DIONISIO D’AGUILAR
Warning that The Bahamas cannot afford to “remain static” in an important element of its tourism product, Mr D’Aguilar nevertheless conceded that the proposed Freeport ports had further exposed why it was “so critical” to upgrade Nassau - both the port and downtown area - as a destination. He also rejected suggestions that the Freeport cruise port proposals, and
NHI in ‘severe’ solvency threat to local insurers By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net PRIVATE health insurers yesterday warned that National Health Insurance’s (NHI) current structure threatens to “severely” undermine their solvency, with the mid-July 2020 launch date likely “unachievable”. Tina Cambridge, Generali’s Bahamas-based regional director, told Tribune Business that the industry was especially concerned about the effect the scheme’s Risk Equalisation Fund (REF) may have on
the sector’s financial viability - especially if the NHI Authority gets its sums and risk modelling wrong. The REF is designed to compensate insurers who agree to cover more high-risk clients, meaning persons who have a greater chance of falling ill. To finance the fund, the NHI Authority is proposing that 50 percent of the annual $1,000 Standard Health Benefit (SHB) premium - NHI’s minimum level of care - be allocated to the REF. Ms Cambridge, though,
SEE PAGE 7
Bahamas hopes Kravitz ad rocks tourism growth By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Minister of Tourism is hoping The Bahamas’ new Lenny Kravitz-inspired advertising campaign will help drive stopover visitor growth “in the teens or low double digit” percentages for 2019. Dionisio D’Aguilar told Tribune Business that the promotional campaign, formally launched in New York late on Thursday night, would have an “exceptional” impact in raising “brand awareness of The Bahamas” in its core US
markets and beyond. Disclosing that the roll-out is being financed from the ministry’s 2018-2019 budget allocation, Mr D’Aguilar said it had already received “rave reviews” from the advertising industry upon its launch. Acknowledging that it will be “very challenging” for The Bahamas to this year maintain the momentum of a 17.1 percent stopover visitor increase for the first 11 months of 2018, the minister added that he would be “very happy” with a further
SEE PAGE 8
respective involvement of Carnival and Royal Caribbean in them, would have any influence on the government’s decision over who is chosen to manage/operate Nassau’s cruise port. Both cruise lines and the Mexican port developer, ITM Group, which is partnering with Royal Caribbean to acquire the Grand Lucayan and develop a proposed water-based, adventure-type theme park
at both the resort and Freeport Harbour, are involved in the same bid to take over Prince George Wharf. Several tourism industry sources are arguing that the Freeport plans give their Nassau offer extra leverage, since they will have sufficient options to bypass the Bahamian capital completely should they so choose. Selecting their bid as the winner may be the only way to ensure the cruise lines keep calling at Prince George Wharf with the current frequency and passenger volumes, it has been suggested. Mr D’Aguilar, though, dismissed such fears and asserted that the Nassau cruise port decision will “be made in the best interests of the country”. He also downplayed the “bypass”
SEE PAGE 6
By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor nhartnell@tribunemedia.net THE Gaming Board says its one-month study has “debunked the myth” that web shops are vulnerable to financial crime and pose a significant risk to The Bahamas’ integrity. Crystal Knowles, the gaming regulator’s chief counsel, said research showed that the average patron transaction of $60 and account balance of just $5 - were “far too small” to suggest the sector was being exploited for illicit financial activities. Writing in The Bahamas’ first-ever anti-money laundering and counter terror financing annual report, which has just been released, Ms Knowles said long-standing fears that the domestic gaming industry could be open to such abuses was “unfounded”. “Prior to regularisation, it was feared that the then-unregulated ‘web shops’ were conduits for money laundering
and terrorist financing,” she wrote. “Despite the promulgation of the new legislation and the strides that have been made over the past three-and-a-half years to enforce the same, discussions in both domestic and international circles still focus on those previous fears. “However, these discussions have proven to be largely unfounded, particularly following a study that was recently conducted by the board. The main focus of the study was to examine the financial data of the board’s licensees, over a one-month period, in order to determine the range of patron account balances and the volume of transactions that flow through the said patron accounts. “The findings do not support any assertion that gaming houses are conduits for material money laundering. The average patron account balance was $5 and the average transaction amount was $60. These
SEE PAGE 4