HW soundbite JULY 2013 in this issue: Electrovoice ZLX P2-3 Vater Percussion P4-5 Novation Launchkey P6-7 Blackstar ID100 wins Guitarist Magazine Award P8-9 Focusrite Scarlett Range P10-11
Electro-voice The two POWERED ZLX MODELS stand apart with the most complete and innovative package of features in their class, giving you more control over your sound to ensure your audience connects with your creative moment, whatever the gig.
• EV-engineered components matched with a custom-built 1000-W Class-D amplifier for best-in-class sound
• LCD display and unique single-knob DSP control with presets – quickly optimize loudspeaker performance according to your style and space
• Patented split-baffle design for superior driver time alignment and enhanced sonic impact and intelligibility
• Input level meters and independent amplifier control – ensure optimal gain structure in seconds
P2 NEWS | HW Audio July 2013
• Lightweight, super-durable composite construction with unique hi/lo grip design for effortless pole mounting and portability
ZLX ZLX PASSIVE LOUDSPEAKERS When choosing a loudspeaker, it’s always wise to ask “What’s inside the box?” Then take a listen and hear the EV difference for yourself. Featuring custom drivers housed in a breakthrough new cabinet design, the two compact and versatile passive ZLX models make EV’s
• EV-engineered components for best-in-class sound • Lightweight, super-durable composite construction with unique hi/lo grip design for effortless pole mounting and portability • Patented split-baffle design for superior driver time alignment and enhanced sonic impact and intelligibility
legendary sound quality and rugged reliability more accessible than ever before.
HW Audio July 2013 | NEWS P3
The Vater brand was officially established in November of 1991, but the Vater family history with drumsticks started decades earlier, in the basement of Boston’s legendary Jack’s Drum Shop. There, Alan and Ron’s grandfather Jack Adams, hand turned drumsticks for the drummers like Buddy Rich as early as 1956. In the early to mid 1980’s, the Vater brothers began producing private-label drumsticks alongside sticks for Vic Firth and Zildjian. A few years of this led to the brothers deciding to move their business to a new factory in Holbrook MA.
P4 NEWS | HW Audio July 2013
Over the past decade, the Vater family and product line has expanded greatly, introducing innovative products such as the SplashStick and Acoustick, and welcoming renowned drummers like Chad Smith, Stewart Copeland, and Josh Freese. Vater guarantees their drumsticks to be straighter, more consistent and of higher quality than all other leading drumstick manufacturers. Vaterâ€™s Nylon tips are guaranteed not to fall off, crack or break for the performance life span of the drumstick. All Vater sticks are tone & weight matched by computer analysis.
HW Audio July 2013 | NEWS P5
Launchkey is a range of 25, 49 and 61 note keyboard controllers with up to 50 physical controls including 16 velocity-sensitive multi-colour launch pads that trigger and stop clips - and launch scenes - in Ableton Live. As well as enabling hands-on control of your DAWâ€™s mixer, instruments and more, Launchkey is an integrated software/ hardware instrument. The control surface has been designed to work tightly alongside two intuitive apps for iPad: the Launchkey app and the Launchpad app* - plus the powerful V-Station & Bass Station synth plug-ins for Mac and Windows.
P6 NEWS | HW Audio July 2013
Launchpad app: The Novation Launchpad is an app for iPad that enables you to make beats and music instantly. It’s packed full of high quality loops and sounds that can be combined in the multicolour 8x6 Launchpad grid to make and remix music. The built-in time stretching always keeps you locked in to the beat, so your loops don’t go out of time. Eight volume sliders allow quick volume changes and FX modes offer DJ effects such as beat-repeaters and synced filter effects, creating interesting ways to remix your music and make your performance unique. The app follows some of the key features from the amazing ‘Launchpad’ hardware, now used by many of the worlds famous DJs and performers.
HW Audio July 2013 | NEWS P7
Blackstar ID100 TVP 100w Head
Guitarist Magazine Guitarist Choice Award
amplifier design the application of setting. The real to provide you, nspire you in your uly understand nd deliver products ur head’.
Infinite Shape Feature (ISF)
Dynamic Power Re
The conventional three way guitar EQ network, or tone stack (a.k.a. Bass, Middle and Treble), is a key to the characteristic ‘voice’ of traditional guitar amplifiers. Classic amplifier designs have their own versions of this network which leads to their own tonal voicings.
Everyone knows that valve amplifi are turned up loud. This is becau the output valves introduce music compression which are a vital par amplifier experience.
The ISF control allows you to infinitely adjust the response of the tone control network between any of the traditional voicings in a way that has never before been possible. In this way you can design your own sound and truly find ‘the sound in your head’.
Blackstar’s patented DPR feature power level by dynamically adjust voltages, allowing power valve dis at any volume level.
star ‘from the tweaking the ar circuit contains to unique s ISF et important products nd flexibility.
nd, we have an development ge the state-ofgy. We believe d innovation part.
Benefits of the ISF control:
Benefits of the DPR
1. ISF is a passive circuit giving a musical response that is not found in active parametric or ‘contour’ controls.
1. DPR allows continuously variab 10%, so you can use your valv
2. The whole tone stack response (i.e. Bass, Middle and Treble) is moved.
2. DPR is a ‘dynamic’ circuit, deli (a.k.a. sag) of a small overdrive
3. The tone controls remain fully interactive, just like in a regular tone stack.
3. Unlike power attenuators, DPR output of the amplifier and the power is reduced the feel, tone is maintained.
4. The ISF control is continuously variable between all the traditional responses allowing you to effectively design your own sound. 5. ISF and ‘the sound in your head’ are only available on Blackstar products.
and DPR are roduct catalogue uitarists achieve
USA to UK in seconds TRI PATENT DESIGN
P8 NEWS | HW Audio July 2013
4. DPR’s dynamic power reductio Blackstar products.
True Valve Power (TVP)
fiers sound best when they use at higher volume levels cal distortion and rt of the valve
It is widely accepted that a valve guitar amplifier with a 100 Watt power rating will sound considerably louder than an equivalent non-valve amplifier. Blackstar’s patent-applied-for TVP technology allows for the first time the combination of the tonality, distortion characteristics and crucially, the perceived sound pressure levels, of an equivalent valve power amplifier.
e controls the output ting the output stage stortion and compression
TVP delivers six distinctly different power valve responses – EL84, 6V6, EL34, KT66, 6L6, KT88. When engaged it delivers the response, dynamics, sag and break-up characteristics of a valve amp.
Benefits of the TVP control:
ble power reduction, down to ve amp in any playing situation.
1. TVP generates the same output volume as an equivalent rated valve amp – True Valve Power means LOUD as valve™.
ivering the exact compression en valve amp, at any volume level.
2. TVP accurately delivers the responsive ‘feel’ of a valve amplifier.
R places nothing between the e loudspeaker and hence as the e and reliability of the amplifier
3. TVP offers a choice of six different power valve responses, from tight and dynamic to compressed and spongy. 4. Mix and match Voice, ISF and TVP settings to achieve ‘the sound in your head’.
on is only available on
HW Audio July 2013 | NEWS P9
Check out the Scarlett Studio Range at HW Music Online Focusrite’s Scarlett range provides a choice of USB audio interfaces to cater for any scenario. From the ultra-compact Scarlett 2i2 to the input-rich Scarlett 18i6 all feature Focusrite mic pres and professional quality conversion. VRM Box creates a virtual monitoring environment using headphones; you’ll be able to mix recordings like you’re listening to speakers in a real room, simply using headphones.
Scarlett 18i20 (below)
With 18 inputs and 20 outputs, Scarlett 18i20 includes enough I/O to handle the vast majority of day-to-day studio tasks at maximum quality, with maximum flexibility. Scarlett 18i20 features six combo XLR/ jack mic/line inputs plus two front-panel XLR/jack mic/line/instrument inputs with 10dB pad buttons, 10 analogue line outputs, two independent headphone outputs on the front panel, and ADAT and S/PDIF digital I/O, plus MIDI I/O and Word Clock out for digital synchronisation when required. The ADAT interface can be used to bring in digital sources or to add extra preamps such as Focusrite’s OctoPre Mk II, bringing the mic pre complement to 16 channels, ideal for recording a complete band and minimising overdubs.
P10 NEWS | HW Audio July 2013
HW Audio July 2013 | NEWS P11