THE
CityREVIEW NewRochelle May 6, 2016 | Vol. 4, Number 10 | www.cityreviewnr.com
toasting success
County board votes to cede control of Rye Playland By JAMES PERO Staff Writer
The popular Taste of Mamaroneck Wine Trail held its 10th annual event on Sunday, May 1. Participants willing to brave the inclement weather had the opportunity to ride a trolley and sample drinks and cuisine from many of the shops along the trail. For more, see page 6. Photo/Kiley Stevens
Teenager stabbed near Isaac E. Young Middle School By SIBYLLA CHIPAZIWA Editorial Assistant On Wednesday, May 4 at approximately 8:23 a.m., the New Rochelle Police Department responded to a report in the area of Isaac E. Young Middle School, located at 270 Centre Ave., regarding an eighth-grade student who had been stabbed. Upon arrival at the scene, officers located a 14-year-old male
student who appeared to have been stabbed in his torso. He was treated by ambulance personnel and was transported to an area hospital. It appears that his injuries are not life-threatening. The victim is currently being treated at Jacobi Medical Center. Although it is early in the investigation, it appears that another eighth-grade student at the school, a 13-year-old male, is the suspect in this incident. He was
in the custody of the Police Department’s youth officers and the investigation is ongoing. The City School District of New Rochelle released a statement acknowledging the incident, which appears to have taken place on Trinity Place, and said that it would fully cooperate with police in the investigation. Isaac E. Young Middle School was placed on lockout and lockdown until 9 a.m. on May 4 as
a safety precaution. During that time, the suspect was apprehended and turned over to the Police Department after he returned to the school grounds. In a statement released by the school, before the incident occurred, the two students had attended an Open Morning program at the middle school before the start of the school day. stabbed continued on page 8
A roller coaster ride between the management company Standard Amusements and Westchester County came to a close on Monday night after the county Board of Legislators voted overwhelmingly to move forward with a 30-year agreement transferring control of Rye Playland. “I cannot be more thankful to County Executive [Rob] Astorino and the Westchester Board of Legislators for their vote of confidence,” said co-founder of Standard Amusements Nicholas Singer, who sat in the audience as the votes were cast. “This is a wonderful day for Westchester.” On May 2, the Board of Legislators approved the agreement—which has undergone several transformations since its introduction in June 2015— committing the county and its taxpayers to $32 million in capital improvements for the ailing amusement park. The final vote passed by a margin of 13-4. While many legislators from both sides of the political aisle accepted the agreement, touting its pragmatism, Democratic legislators Catherine Parker of Rye, Ken Jenkins of Yonkers, Catherine Borgia of Ossining and Alfreda Williams of White Plains outright rejected it. “When you have a partner, that means you’re sharing in the
risk, and sharing in the reward,” Jenkins said at Monday’s meeting. “But if we want to sit here and try to suggest this is a partnership arrangement; our partner is putting up $5 million in four months, we’re putting up $32 million, tonight… I don’t know what you call that.” The ratified agreement will see Standard expand on its initial investment of $5 million, which will go toward new rides, and eventually invest another $27 million of its own money into the park over the course of a 5-year period. For now, the county will continue to co-manage the park with Standard, and according to county administration officials, the company will take over full control of the park’s management after 50 percent of the county’s agreed to capital investments have been made. Tentatively, the administration has set a date for transition for Nov. 1, 2018. According to the agreement, when the county has expended 50 percent of the $32 million in proposed capital projects, they will also begin sharing 8 percent of Standard’s profits; a number that will incrementally rise to 12 percent by the deal’s end. Projects outlined in the deal include rehabilitation of the park’s shoreline, infrastructure and new rides. playland continued on page 5