Skip to main content

ELECTIONSISSUE

Page 1

FOLLOW OUR SOCIALS

@THECALIFORNIAAGGIE

@THECALIFORNIAAGGIE

THEAGGIE.ORG

SERVING THE UC DAVIS CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY SINCE 1915

@THECALIFORNIAAGGIE

VOLUME 149, ISSUE 24 | THURSDAY, APRIL 23, 2026

8 arrested in connection with 2025 Esparto fireworks explosion Five of the eight people arrested have been charged with murder BY MADELYN SEVIGNY city@theaggie.org On Friday, April 10, the Yolo County District Attorney (DA)’s office announced the arrest of eight individuals, including a former Yolo County police officer, in relation to an explosion in Esparto, Calif. at a fireworks warehouse. Five of the individuals are being charged with second-degree murder. On July 1, 2025, a fire engulfed a warehouse in Esparto where fireworks were illegally stored, resulting in an explosion and the deaths of seven individuals. The exploding fireworks also destroyed the warehouse, causing a wildfire that burned 78 acres. The Yolo DA’s office announced that they have been conducting an investigation of this case for the past nine months. Yo l o District Attorney Jeff Reisig explained the nature of their investigation. “This investigation has thus far involved dozens, maybe hundreds, of law enforcement agencies around the state and the country,” Reisig said. “We’re grateful for their help. It has taken us across California, it’s taken us across the nation and it’s even taken us across our national borders. It has been a massive investigation, and certainly during my 20-year tenure as the DA, it has been the largest we’ve ever undertaken.” On April 3, the DA’s

Yolo County District Attorney’s Office in Woodland, Calif. (Sacha Chickering / Aggie) investigation culminated in a grand jury, which indicted the eight individuals on multiple charges, including murder and alleged conspiracy to sell illegal fireworks on the black market. The Grand Jury alleged that while multiple Yolo County officials knew of the illegal fireworks operations, no action was taken. “The Grand Jury has identified nearly a dozen County employees who knew over the years of the pyrotechnics operations at the Esparto site but failed to take any remedial action,” the Grand Jury report reads. “County records show communication between most of these employees, some now retired, concerning the Esparto fireworks site. Despite this, there is no record that any of them

advocated for enforcement of existing County ordinances.” County Building Division staff were informed as early as mid-2022 of possible fireworks storage at the property, according to a statement from the Yolo County Board of Supervisors. Deputy DA Clara Nabity explained that 1 million pounds of explosives were stored on the property at the time of the explosion. Nabity also stated that the property lacked proper licenses to store and sell the fireworks. “[Of ] the individuals charged, [some] of them did hold certain licenses issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and Cal Fire,” Nabity said. “Not one storage container on the Machado property was licensed

Smash-and-grab at Crazy D’s Hot Chicken on April 2

The intruder stole the restaurant’s cash register box a few hours after the restaurant’s 2 a.m. closing time

Crazy D’s Hot Chicken, a new restaurant in downtown Davis, was robbed on April 2, 2026. (Sacha Chickering / Aggie) BY SAHAR SUMREIN city@theaggie.org In the early hours of the morning on Thursday, April 2, an intruder broke into Downtown Davis restaurant Crazy D’s. This comes just two months after the opening of the restaurant, which is located at 219 G St. near Davis establishments such as Woodstock’s Pizza and G St. Wunderbar. Crazy D’s offers students and Davis locals an affordable menu inspired by Nashville hot chicken. The restaurant’s Woodland branch is approaching its second full year of operation in August of this year. On April 2, owner Ankush Walia was notified that the restaurant’s security alarm had been activated and was advised

to check on the property by the Davis Police Department. When Walia arrived, he found that one of the establishment’s doors had been shattered, with the cash register box missing. He later reviewed the restaurant’s security footage, which captured the incident occurring at approximately 5:49 a.m. that morning. Walia described what he saw on the restaurant’s security camera. “They came in, broke the glass, jumped on the counter, took the whole register and left,” Walia said. “Everything happened in about 30 seconds.” The individual entered and quickly exited with the stolen register a few hours after the restaurant’s 2 a.m. closing time, according to Walia. The suspect currently remains unidentified

by the Davis Police Department. Walia shared the security footage on the restaurant’s social media pages, hoping to raise awareness regarding the incident and gather information on potential suspects. A police report was filed on the day of the incident and remains under investigation, according to Walia. The Davis Police Department’s online database does not indicate a report associated with the breakin, as of April 15. Walia stated that he covered the cost of damages and stolen funds out of pocket as the location’s owner, noting that the business is insured. The break-in came after a string of challenges that the establishment had faced in its first months of operation. Walia explained a series of prior incidents that also affected the business leading up to recent crime. “They took all of our bathroom supplies — paper towels, soap, everything,” Walia said. “That was right after we opened. Then last month, someone cut their hair in the bathroom and left it everywhere. And in the past few weeks, we’ve had people passing fake bills.” Despite these complications, Walia said the restaurant has received support from the local downtown business community. CRAZYDS on 9

by ATF.” Nabity also said that the type of explosives stored were beyond the legal limit of “safe and sane.” “They are devices that have so much more explosive fireworks than the law allows that they can’t be considered fireworks,” Nabity said. “They are explosives.” The illegal fireworks enterprise was conducted on the property of Sam Machado, a former lieutenant for the Yolo County Sheriff’s Department, and his wife, Tammy Machado, who worked for the department as an administrative employee. Both were among those arrested. The other individuals arrested include: Kenneth Chee, owner of Devastating Pyrotechnics, the company that stored the fireworks on

the Machado property; Gary Chan; Jack Lee; Craig Cutright; Ronald Botelho III; and Douglas Tollefsen. Machado, Chee, Chan, Lee and Tollefsen were each charged with seven counts of second-degree murder, one for each person killed in the blast, according to Reisig. In an interview with CapRadio, Michael Vitello, a distinguished professor at McGeorge School of Law, explained the legal rationale behind the murder charges. “When you hear about a death that occurs from an accident, usually you think about tort damages, private right of action or involuntary manslaughter,” Vitello said. “But murder is not always intentional killing. There is

another form of murder […] where ‘malice aforethought’ is not really [that], but instead it is acting with such extreme indifference to human life. It’s a subtle distinction between the lack of care that might be involuntary manslaughter and such extreme indifference that it becomes murder.” Nabity summarized the charges faced in addition to murder. “There are additional charges in the 30-count indictment against the seven individuals,” Nabity said. “They include charges for a dangerous workplace, unlawfully causing a fire, insurance fraud by Kenneth Chee and charges of child endangerment, animal cruelty, tax fraud, pardon and possession of illegal assault weapons against Samuel Machado.” The Machados, Lee, Cutright, Chan and Tollefsen appeared in Yolo County Superior Court in Woodland on April 13 and returned for their arraignments on April 16. At the arraignments, families of the victims read statements and asked the judge to deny bail. Tammy Machado entered a not guilty plea, while the other four did not enter a plea. All six defendants will be present at their next court date on April 22. This is a developing stor y; follow The California Aggie for updates.

Yolo County sues California Department of Water Resources over water rights sale

The county warns river restoration project may result in groundwater depletion

View of the Sacramento River from Keswick Dam in Redding, Calif. (Courtesy of the Bureau of Reclamation)

BY SONJA WOOLEY city@theaggie.org Yolo County and the Yolo Subbasin Groundwater Agency (YSGA) filed two joint lawsuits against the California Department of Water Resources (DWR) in March. The plaintiffs are contesting a Sacramento River water rights purchase of 16,000 acre feet of water per year, made by the DWR from River Garden Farms located near Knights Landing, Calif. The plaintiffs argued that the purchase could lead to the depletion of groundwater supplies, infrastructure damage and flooding. They also contested that the state illegitimately waived the requirement to file an environmental review for the purchase under the California Environmental Quality Act. Groundwater refers to the water stored naturally underground, either saturated into the soil or collected in

cracks in the bedrock in areas called aquifers. On an average year, about 40% of California’s water supply comes from these underground aquifers. The YSGA is made up of 26 different public agencies, including the City of Davis, Yolo County and the City of West Sacramento, as well as the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation. The YSGA is tasked with planning and implementing the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act passed by the California Legislature in 2014, which requires that counties and local governments establish plans and regulations to ensure that their groundwater isn’t overtaxed and remains available for future generations. The water rights transfer was part of the DWR’s Instream Flow Water Purchase Program. Representatives from Yolo County and YSGA declined to comment on the lawsuit, but Ryan Endean, the DWR deputy director of communications,

explained the purpose of the purchase program. “The program provides funding for projects that enhance streamflow at a time and location necessary to benefit salmon and other native species,” Endean said. “The program supports balancing water supply needs with protecting natural aquatic resources.” Instream flow refers to the rate of water flowing in a river in cubic feet per second. The state’s Instream Flow Water Purchase Program is specifically designed to increase the flow of the Sacramento-San Joaquin watershed (or area where snowmelt and rainfall channels to the ocean) from January to June, according to Endean. Yolo County and the YSGA expressed concern that River Garden Farms plans to pump groundwater from their property in order to make up for the lost irrigation supply from the water rights transfer with the DWR. WATERLAWSUIT on 9


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
ELECTIONSISSUE by The California Aggie - Issuu