quality tarpaulin printing contact: mindanao daily news publishing corporation Mdntarps@gmail.com
(0935) 161 3398 look for Anabelle, (088)881-0100
Tanleh Bldg. Abellanosa St., Consolacion, Cagayan de Oro City
Mindanao Daily NEWS northmin . caraga . davao . westmin Bringing Good News of Mindanao
Volume VI, No. 045
web portal: www.mindanaodailynews.com
Monday
July 18, 2016
P15.00
B1
Lolong’s town execs vow to end shabu trade before Duterte’s deadline By CHRIS V. PANGANIBAN
BUNAWAN, Agusan del Sur--Local officials and the police are dead serious in ridding this town from illegal drugs before the six-month deadline set by President Rodrigo Duterte. “I’ll assure you that in less than six months we can eradicate the illegal drug trade here,” said Mayor Edwin Elorde who have been personally supervising buy-bust and drug raids in this town since last year long before Duterte came into the political limelight. Bunawan got global fame in 2011 after local residents and crocodile hunters caught a 20-foot long saltwater crocodile Christian church pastors pray over the mass surrender participants in the anti illegal See execs, page B3
drug event in Bunawan, Agusan del Sur. JANUS LOUISE V. PANGANIBAN
DAR-Agusan Norte trains women ARBs in coconut sugar production By GIL MIRANDA
KITCHARAO, Agusan del Norte – The Department of Agrarian Reform in Agusan del Norte conducted recently a one-day skills training on coconut sap sugar pro-
DOH holds media forum on NSDD, other health programs By Alma L. Tingcang of PIA-9
IPIL, Zamboanga Sibugay-To update the media on the various activities being conducted by the Department of Health IX, a media forum on National School Deworming Month (NSDM), Nutrition Month celebration and SchoolBased Immunization (SBI) was held on July 13 at Roderics Resort here. Ms. Evelyn Capistrano, DOH-9 Nutrition Coordinator explained the importance of good nutrition as we celebrate the 42nd Nutrition Month which focuses on the theme “First 1000 days ni baby, Pahalagahan para sa malusog na kinabukasan!” Capistrano said according to the NNC survey of 2013, Zamboanga Sibugay and Zamboanga del Norte has high prevalence of malnutrition and stunted growth. As such, there is a need to refocus efforts especially on the first 1000 days of a child. “If we give primacy on the first 1,000 days, children would develop normally and
do not become a problem of society. When a child is not given proper nutrition on the first 1000 days, the opportunity will never come back,” she lamented. She also cited government interventions during pregnancy which includes: prenatal care with four visits during the whole period of pregnancy; delivery must be in the hospital or birthing clinic; must be given the needed immunization for pregnant women available for free in health centers. Good nutrition is also equally important. The nutritionist added that exclusive breastfeeding should be practiced for the first six months, after which complementary foods may be added. She noted that a feeding program for pregnant women is being done in Zamboanga City to address malnutrition during pregnancy. She enjoins other LGUs to follow the good practice set by the city. The establishment of lactation stations in malls,
duction, an agri-business development assistance to women agrarian reform beneficiaries (ARBs) at San Isidro, Kitcharao town here. Participants were some 40 women members of
agrarian reform beneficiary organizations including the Malambuong Kahugpongan sa Kababaenhan sa San Isidro (MAKKASI), Jaliobong Masipag Farmers Organization (JAMAFO),
and Jaliobong Irrigators Services Association (JISA). The activity afforded the women farmers to learn the technology to produce coco sugar as additional liveli-
By CHRIS V. PANGANIBAN
the police drive dubbed “Toktok Hangyo (Knock and Plead).” In Tandag City, the text message modus operandi have gone as far as asking suspected shabu users P50,000 in exchange for sparing their lives prompting City Mayor Alexander Pimentel to alarm residents not to be swayed by such trick. Pimentel aired his warning yesterday morning (July 15) over Sure FM in an interview with station manager Judith Suarez. He told
listeners to immediately report to him or to the police if they will be victimized by the scam. In Rosario, many residents have complained they were forced into turning themselves to the authorities even they are not shabu dependents as a result of the text scare. A Purok (sub village) chairman stood up during an open forum after the mass surrender event on Holding a notarized document, a shabu user pledged Thursday afternoon that he before local officials and police in Rosario, Agusan del was surprised to learn he Sur that he will no longer be hooked into the illegal drugs
See trains, page B3
See holds, page B3
Army welcomes probe on Lumad leader’s killing
Text scare scam mar shabu mass surrender
DAVAO City -- The Philippine Army welcomed the call of Acting Mayor Paolo Duterte for a thorough investigation on the killing of Datu Ruben Labawan, one of the Ata-Manobo tribal leaders in Paquibato District. “The tribe and other sectors are now seeking justice for Datu Labawan’s killing,” Captain Rhyan Batchar, chief information officer of the Army 10th Infantry
SAN FRANCISCO, Agusan del Sur--The mass surrender frenzy to illegal drug dependents and peddlers has gone awry over text messaging scam. This came after complaints have gone up over text messages circulating in Tandag City and in neighboring Rosario town frightening shabu (methamphetamine hydrochloride) users that they will be killed if they will not surrender to the authorities through
See welcomes, page B3
See scam, page B3
again. Photo courtesy of JANUS LOUISE PANGANIBAN
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776