BusinessWeek MINDANAO CREDIBLE
Volume VII, No. 033
Market Indicators As of 6:21 pm august 19, 2016 (friday)
FOREX
PHISIX
US$1 = P46.389
7,930.75
X
8.3 cents
22.06
X
points
Briefly Budget for change THE Department of Budget and Management (DBM) said that the proposed budget for Fiscal Year (F.Y.) 2017, dubbed as “A Budget for Real Change”, focuses resources on programs and projects that achieve the country’s 10-point socioeconomic development agenda. Of the P3.35 trillion proposed budget for 2017, 40 percent will be for empowering human resources through education, healthcare, social welfare, and other social services; 27.6 percent for economic services to fix the broken infrastructure network, boost agricultural and rural sector, and generate more jobs and livelihood; and 22 percent for general public services and defense. Budget Secretary Benjamin E. Diokno earlier said that the Philippine economy is “deficient in all types of infrastructure.” The DBM is committed to hike infrastructure spending from a low 5 percent to a high of six to seven percent of the gross domestic product (GDP) next year. The total proposed budget for infrastructure is P860.7B or 13.8 percent higher than this year’s budget.
Farm output drop VALUE of the country’s agricultural production dropped further last quarter, but at a slower pace than the fall seen in January-March, the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) reported yesterday, blaming drought due to El Niño that was, at that time, winding down. “The prolonged dry spell due to the El Niño phenomenon negatively affected the production of the crops and fisheries subsectors,” PSA said in a statement. “These losses were not offset by the increases in livestock and poultry production.” Value of agricultural output fell 2.34%, PSA said, but this was nearly half the 4.53% contraction recorded in JanuaryMarch period that bore the brunt of drought, whose impact was felt by farms starting the second quarter last year that itself saw an upwardly revised 0.01% slip.
YOUR Mindanao-wide BUSINESS paper
RELIABLE
IN-DEPTH
Inclusive growth plan on track with 7% GDP www.businessweekmindanao.com
By JOSEPH ALBERT A. GAMBOA Philippine News Agency
One Network Bank gears up for more network expansion
T
HE Philippine e c o n o m y ’s robust 7% gross domestic product (GDP) g row th in the second quarter will enable the new government to keep its targets on track up to next year. This, as Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez said on Thursday the Duterte administration would build on previous efforts to effectively implement its 10-point socioeconomic agenda, with the country’s growth momentum remaining strong. He said the 10-point agenda focuses on sustaining this upward growth trajectory and making its gains felt by all Filipinos. The finance chief noted that last quarter’s growth rate was the highest for b oth quar terly and semestral growth since 2014. “The numbers are good for the Duterte government to hit its growth targets of at least 7 percent this year’s second semester and 6.5 to 7.5 percent in 2017,” Dominguez said in response to the official release of GDP data by the National Economic and Development Authority growth/PAGE 11
P15.00
Saturday | August 20, 2016
By CARMELITO Q. FRANCISCO Correspondent
LOVE OR EXPULSION? Sign on tarpaulin at the Golden Heritage College in Cagayan de Oro City prohibits love affairs between male and female students. Students caught in a relationship will face expulsion, according to Capt. Tito Dichosa, owner and president. Dichosa also operates a branch in Tagum City. MindaNews photo by FROILAN GALLARDO
NEDA cautions gov’t against taking easy on good economic numbers By LILIAN MELLEJOR, PNA
D AVA O City -Socioeconomic Planning S ecretar y and National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) DirectorGeneral Ernesto Pernia has cautioned government against taking easy on the
robust economy achieved in the first semester. During a press conference on the country’s 2016 second quarter output at SMX Convention Hall Thursday, Pernia said there is still a risk of seeing lower growth in the
second half of the year as a normal occurrence during an election year. He said consumer sentiments will likely to normalize given the postelection scenario. What is important, he said, is for government to continue neda/PAGE 11
DAVAO City -- One Network Bank, Inc. (ONB), the biggest Mindanao-based rural lender acquired by listed BDO Unibank, Inc. in 2014, is set to expand its network of branches nationwide, the financial institution’s chair said over the weekend. Nestor V. Tan, BD O president and ONB chair, said the goal now is to set up a presence in unbanked and underbanked areas that ONB, as an independent rural bank, was unable to reach. At the ONB appreciation night at SMX Convention Center here Saturday, Mr. Tan cited the recent opening of four branches in the northern Luzon area as the signal for the planned expansion. “We need to prepare for growth,” he said. As of April this year, ONB had 107 branches, Majority of the bank’s branches are in Mindanao, but it has one office each in Tarlac and Cavite and also one in Antique and 10 in Iloilo province in Western Visayas. In August 2014, BDO bought 96% of ONB which, based on its April 2015 report, expansion/PAGE 11
Sison expresses optimism over peace talks By AMALIA CABUSAO, Mindanews
LOW AGRI-PRODUCTION. Prolonged dry spell has brought down agri production in the first two quarters of this year. (Photo courtesy of Anthea M. Mordeno)
NATIONAL Democratic Fro nt c o n s u l t a nt s h a s expressed optimism on the resumption of peace talks with the government, saying the Duterte administration has shown sincere efforts to implement needed political and social reforms. NDF finance officer Benito Tiamzon—arrested in 2014 along with wife Wilma
on murder charges and released Friday afternoon— said their release, along with 16 other political prisoners is a good will measure that will contribute to an environment conducive to progress in the peace talks, which will resume in Oslo, Norway over the weekend. “O pt i m ist i c k am i, bagamat di kami magtataka
kung magkakaroon ng mga twist. Pero optimistic kami na may will ang magkabilang panig na magpatuloy,” he told reporters at a televised press conference. He thanked Duterte for ordering the release of the political prisoners, whom the courts granted temporary liberty for the peace talks. He declared full support and trust to members of the peace/PAGE 11
Editorial and advertising email : businessweekmindanao@gmail.com • Cell Number : 0917-7121424 • 0947-8935776