Page 1


Stark State College Enrollment Guide

Including admissions, financial aid and registering for classes

Information essential to your college success.

Welcome You’re on your way to joining the Stark State College family. Read this entire booklet to get an overview of the process. Review the following checklists to determine if you have completed all necessary steps for starting classes in the coming semester, including admission, financial aid and registration. We look forward to assisting you. 330-494-6170 | 1-800-797-8275 |

Table of contents Apply for admission ............................................................... 1 Apply for financial aid ........................................................... 2 Types of aid ........................................................................... 4 General eligibility requirements ........................................... 4 Additional financial aid services ........................................... 6 Student grants, work programs and scholarships ................. 6 Tax credits ............................................................................. 8 Veterans benefits .................................................................. 9 Registering for classes .......................................................... 11 Cost/disbursement ............................................................. 12 Standards of academic progress ......................................... 14 Frequently asked questions ................................................. 16 Other information to know .................................................. 20 Class attendance ................................................................. 20 Title IV refund ..................................................................... 20 Student rights/responsibilities/information ....................... 21 Student confidentiality........................................................ 22 Student services.................................................................. 22 Directory....................................................... inside back cover

Stark State College is committed to equal opportunity for all and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability or veterans’ status.


Apply for admission

Apply for admission First-time students

o Apply for admission to the College > online at > >

via mail at 6200 Frank Ave. N.W., North Canton, OH 44720 in person at the Academic Records/Registrar’s Office Hours: Monday - Thursday 8 a.m. - 7:30 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

o Submit these documents to the Academic Records/ Registrar’s Office: > Official high school transcript or GED scores. Contact your

high school to obtain these records. Every student must submit proof of high school graduation or GED completion. Home schooled students are required to submit an equivalent diploma, which may be official GED scores or a notarized transcript that includes the graduation date, all courses with grades and final GPA. They must also submit ACT or COMPASS test scores. > ACT/SAT scores (if taken within the last two years) > Transfer students must submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges. The college transcripts will be evaluated to determine which courses will transfer to Stark State. Official transcripts from every college attended must be submitted, even if you anticipate the credits will not transfer. > Selective Service. Males between the age of 18 and 26 must supply the College with their Selective Service number. To register or obtain your number go to or call toll-free 847-688-2567 or 847-688-6888.

o Schedule an appointment

Call 330-494-6170 or stop in the Office of Admissions/ Student Services to complete the COMPASS assessment (pre-admission placement). Testing times are Monday - Thursday at 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. If you took the COMPASS Assessment within the last two years at another college or university, have the results sent to the Office of Admissions/Student Services.

o Log on to mystarkstate


Information on how to access mystarkstate will be provided with your letter of acceptance to Stark State College. It is important to use mystarkstate to track the progress of your admission and financial aid applications!

Fully-online students

who plan to take only online classes should refer to for application information. 1


Apply for financial aid

Apply for financial aid The Financial Aid Office is committed to helping find ways to make a college education affordable for Stark State students and their families. We offer a variety of services and programs designed to help meet your educational expenses. Our staff is dedicated to making sure you receive your aid in a timely and efficient manner. The key to financing your education is to start planning early. The more you know about how financial aid works, the better prepared you will be to pay for college. For the most up-to-date financial aid information, click on the financial aid link on the Stark State website, If you have any questions about the financial aid process, contact the Financial Aid Office at 330-494-6170. Financial Aid Office hours are Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (closed at 3 p.m. on Friday during the summer).

o Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)


All students should apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA via The Stark State College school code is 011141. You will need your federal tax return to complete the FAFSA. You also will need a PIN to complete the FAFSA online. Apply for your PIN at Dependent students will need a parent to sign the FAFSA with a PIN; parent will need to apply for a separate PIN.

Priority dates Summer session March 1 April 1 May 1 Fall session May 1 June 1 July 1 Spring session Oct. 1 Nov 1 Dec 1

FAFSA filing deadline Required documentation deadline Online loan request deadline FAFSA filing deadline Required documentation deadline Online loan request deadline FAFSA filing deadline Required documentation deadline Online loan request deadline

Applications received after these dates will be considered for aid, but students may not receive funds until after the start of the semester. That means you should be prepared to use your own funds to pay for a portion of your tuition and all of your books before each semester’s payment deadline.

o FAFSA follow-up

Once your FAFSA has been processed, you will receive a confirmation from the U.S. Department of Education central processing system indicating your application has been processed. Typically, within a week of the Department of Education processing your FAFSA, Stark State receives an electronic copy of your FAFSA. Once Stark State receives your FAFSA information an email will be sent to your Stark State email address notifying you of any additional required documentation. If you are asked to submit additional documentation do so as soon as possible. Your financial aid cannot be processed without the requested documentation. Additional requirements can be found on mystarkstate >> My Stuff tab >> Financial Aid Tools channel >> Student Requirements link.

o Understand your award package • After all your documentation has been reviewed, an email will be sent to your Stark State email address notifying you that your financial aid award package has been created. • Note that your award is based on your enrollment as a full-time student (12 credit hours) for the entire academic year. You do not have to be a full-time student to qualify for financial aid. Adjustments to your Pell grant are made based on your level of enrollment, depending upon whether you are full-time (enrolled in 12 credits or more) or part-time (enrolled in 11 credits or less). • Initially, the amounts awarded represent your funds for a fall/spring academic year. If you enroll in classes for the summer, your award will automatically be re-allocated to include all three semesters. Transfer Students who have received financial aid from another school during the current award year should ask their previous school to cancel all pending financial aid. Once that aid has been cancelled, provide documentation of that cancellation to the Stark State Financial Aid Office.

o Apply for student loans • If you are offered a Direct Loan and are interested in using those funds, you must formally accept the offered loans through mystarkstate >> My Stuff tab >> Financial Aid Tools channel >> Accept Award Offers link. • If you are a first-time loan borrower at Stark State you also must complete the loan application process. This includes completing a loan entrance counseling session and a Master Promissory Note. These can be accessed through mystarkstate >> My Stuff tab >> Financial Aid Tools channel >> Apply for Your Loan link or by directly accessing Your funds will not be processed until you complete this requirement. Keep in mind that you must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours in order to receive your loan funds.

your connection admissions | financial aid | registration


Types of aid Grants are need-based financial aid from the federal and state government. Grants do not require repayment. Available grant programs include the Federal Pell Grant and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG).

TIP: Fill out your FAFSA as early in the year as possible!

Loans are financial aid that must be repaid. Available loan programs include the Federal Direct Loan and the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), a loan for parents of dependent students. Federal Work Study is a form of financial aid paid to a student as wages for working. Scholarships are funds provided by the College or donors to students based on pre-determined criteria. Additional resources include assistance from public agencies as described in this booklet.

General eligibility requirements Eligibility for most financial aid programs is based on demonstrated financial need of the student and/or the student’s family, and on registered credit hours. For federal and state financial aid programs a student must be a citizen, national or permanent resident of the United States. Certain persons in the process of becoming citizens or permanent residents also may be eligible. To be eligible for federal financial aid programs (Pell, FSEOG, Federal Work Study, Federal Direct Loan, Federal PLUS), you must also • be accepted by the college for admission as a regular student and demonstrate the ability to benefit from the selected program of study. Students enrolled in high school, post-secondary option students, and early admit students are not eligible for aid. • show intent on the admission application to obtain: an associate degree for transfer to another college, an associate degree for the job market, or a certificate. • be enrolled in a financial aid-eligible degree or certificate program. • be enrolled in courses that provide credit toward a financial aid-eligible degree or certificate program. Courses taken as audit are not eligible. • meet the enrollment and attendance requirements for each program. • demonstrate the ability to benefit from the education offered. You must provide an official transcript to the Office of the Registrar verifying you have earned a high school diploma or GED. • comply with requirements concerning Selective Service registration. For information regarding Selective Service, or to register, visit 4

• comply with requirements concerning submission of a Statement of Educational Purpose. This is included on the financial aid application (FAFSA). • certify that you are not in default on any federal loan. • certify you do not owe a refund to any federal aid program, including grant overpayments resulting from withdrawing from class(es). • maintain satisfactory academic progress as set forth in the Stark State College Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. • accumulate no more than 30 hours of developmental courses. For Ohio programs (Ohio National Guard Tuition Assistance and War Orphans Scholarship), you must also be a resident of Ohio (according to Ohio law) for 12 consecutive months and be enrolled in an associate degree program. Students pursuing a one-year certificate are not eligible.


• Standards of Academic Progress (SAP) Policy - As a recipient of financial aid, you are required to adhere to Stark State College’s SAP policy. Prior to registration, be sure to review the policy on page 14 of this booklet or on mystarkstate >> My Stuff tab >> Standards of Academic Progress link. Before making any adjustments to your class schedule, speak to a student service representative. • Repeat Coursework Policy - Students may receive financial aid for repeating courses. However, if retaking a previously passed course, financial aid can only be used for one repeat of that course. Any course that is repeated will be used in the calculation of a student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress status. More information on this policy is available through mystarkstate >> My Stuff tab >> Financial Aid Tools >> Repeat Coursework Policy link. • Title IV Refund Policy - This policy regulates what happens to federal financial aid if you withdraw or cease attendance in your scheduled classes. More information on this policy is available on page 20 of this booklet or through mystarkstate >> My Stuff tab >> Title IV Refund Policy link. • Class Attendance Policy - Attendance will be taken in all classes to document that students who are eligible for the federal financial aid attend class. Students who receive federal financial aid and do not attend their classes risk having their financial aid cancelled or reduced. More information on this policy is available on page 20 of this booklet or through mystarkstate >> My Stuff tab >> Financial Aid Tools >> Attendance Policy link. • Developmental Classes - A student is limited to 30 developmental credit hours while receiving federal financial aid. Federal financial aid programs will not cover any developmental courses taken after reaching the maximum 30 hours. These courses include, but are not limited to Math 100, Math 101, Math 103, Math 123, English 100, English 101, English 103, English 105, OAD/AOT 100, OAD/AOT 101, IDS 101, IDS 102, CAL 101, CAL 102, and CAL 105, ITD 100 and ITD 101. • Freeze Date - The amount of your financial aid award is determined by your enrollment at the end of the sixth day of the semester. This is known as the “freeze date.” If you add or drop classes before the freeze date, your aid will be adjusted based on the number of credit hours you are enrolled. If you add or drop classes after the freeze date in any given semester, your aid will not be adjusted for that term, but you could be in violation of the Standards of Academic Progress policy. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information on the freeze date and how it will impact your financial aid. • If you violate the SAP Policy, Title IV Refund Policy or Class Attendance Policy, you may be subject to sanctions that may include an immediate return of some or all of the funds awarded to you and/or a suspension of your eligibility for future financial aid funding.

your connection admissions | financial aid | registration


Additional financial aid services Phone counseling General information can be obtained by phone; to ensure confidentiality, however, dollar amounts cannot be discussed. Phone counseling is available during office hours. Callers with detailed questions or complicated situations may be asked to make an appointment. During the busy months of July, August and September, the Financial Aid Office will assist callers to the best of our abilities. We apologize if the high volume of calls/visits to our office results in delays in service. Please be patient and understand that we will help you as soon as possible.

Appointments Appointments are offered to assist with in-depth questions or concerns. Appointments are available Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Same day appointments will be accommodated as schedules permit and cannot be guaranteed. To schedule an appointment, call the Financial Aid Office, 330-494-6170.

Student grants, work programs and scholarships Federal programs To apply for these programs you must complete the FAFSA Federal Pell Grant (PELL) An award of $602 to $5,550 per year, based on financial need. Eligibility is based upon need, enrollment and cost of education. Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) Allocation of funds is at the discretion of Stark State. Awarding of funds is based on need and application date. Award amounts vary, up to $400 per year. Apply through the FAFSA. According to federal regulations, students must be Pell-eligible to receive FSEOG funds. You must apply early! Funds are limited and are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Federal Work Study Program (FWSP) Allows students to be employed at the College to earn money for educational expenses. Awards are based on financial need; submit a written request to the Financial Aid Office. An award does not guarantee earnings; students are paid with a bi-weekly paycheck for hours actually worked. Check mystarkstate >> Student Support tab >> Work Study – Jobs List channel for job postings. Federal Direct Loan Programs A Federal Direct Loan offers freshman students up to $5,500 and sophomores up to $6,500 per year. Students pursuing a one-year certificate will remain at freshman level for borrowing purposes. This is a loan and must be repaid. Interest rates vary annually. If you already have a Direct Loan, borrowing a new loan will not affect the rate or terms of your previous loan(s). You may qualify for a subsidized and/or an unsubsidized Direct Loan up to the amounts listed above.


Subsidized Direct Loans These loans are based on financial need; therefore, some students may not qualify. With a subsidized Direct Loan, no interest accumulates and no repayment is required as long as the student is enrolled in college at least half time.

Unsubsidized Direct Loans Students who do not qualify for a subsidized Direct Loan may borrow up to the maximum amounts designated on the award notification through an unsubsidized Direct Loan. Loan payments can be deferred as long as the student is enrolled at least half-time. Interest will accrue and can be paid by the borrower while in school and during the grace and repayment period. Independent students (see definition, page 17) have the option of borrowing an additional $4,000 in unsubsidized Direct Loan Funds.

Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (Federal PLUS) The Federal PLUS program is for parents of dependent students. It is a loan in which family income is not taken into consideration; therefore, the program is open to almost any parent who has good credit. The parent can borrow up to the cost of the college education, less aid, at a variable rate of interest (currently not to exceed 9%). Repayment begins 60 days after the final disbursement of the funds, according to the terms negotiated by the bank. We recommend students first utilize all eligibility for grants and the Federal Direct Loans before receiving a federal PLUS. This is a loan and must be repaid. Funds are made in multiple disbursements and given to the parent(s) after tuition and fees have been paid.

State programs Ohio National Guard If you enlist in the National Guard for six years, the National Guard will pay 100% of tuition costs. You must be an Ohio resident enrolled in at least six credit hours at an Ohio college. Contact your local National Guard at 614-336-7053 for more information. Montgomery GI Bill If you serve in the Army Reserve or the National Guard, you may be eligible to receive education benefits while attending classes. In addition, you may qualify for loan repayment. Contact the local Army Reserve or National Guard Office for more information. The Academic Records/Registrar’s Office certifies enrollment for this program.

Institutional programs Stark State College Academic Scholarship Awarded to area high school seniors. Selection is based on GPA (minimum 3.0), extra-curricular activities and letters of recommendation. Award amount varies but is intended to cover 100% of your instructional and general fees for your first academic year. Deadline to apply is Feb. 1 each year. See your guidance counselor, visit scholarships or contact the Stark State Financial Aid Office for a scholarship application. Scholarships Application is made by filing the FAFSA prior to June 1. A complete list of scholarships is available at For additional information on outside scholarship funding, visit or or your local library. Scholarships are divided between fall and spring semesters unless otherwise designated by the donor.

your connection admissions | financial aid | registration


Social service programs Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (BVR) Educational assistance may be available for students with special needs. Call the Canton (330-438-0500) or Akron (330-643-3080) BVR office for more information. Workforce Initiative Association (WIA) and Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) for individuals who recently lost jobs or are entering the workforce after an extended period of unemployment. You must complete the FAFSA to determine eligibility for grants before being considered for WIA and TAA funding. For information about WIA and TAA, contact the Employment Source at 330-433-9675.

Tax credits For the 2011 tax year, two tax credits are available to help you offset the costs of higher education. You may be eligible to claim an education credit if you, your spouse, or a dependent you claim on your tax return was a student enrolled at or attending an eligible educational institution. The credits are based on the amount of qualified education expenses paid for the student in 2011 for academic periods beginning in 2011 and in the first three months of 2012. Lifetime Learning Tax Credit The Lifetime Learning Tax Credit is a non-refundable federal income tax credit of up to $2,000 (20% of the first $10,000) for qualified tuition and related expenses. The amount of your lifetime learning credit for 2011 is gradually reduced if your modified adjusted gross income is between $51,000 and $61,000 ($102,000 and $122,000 if you file a joint return). American Opportunity Credit The American Opportunity Credit is a refundable credit up to $2,500 (100% of the first $2,000 and 25% of the next $2,000) for qualified expenses paid for each eligible student. This credit is only available to students who are in the first four years of post-secondary education. The amount of your American Opportunity Credit for 2011 is gradually reduced if your modified adjusted gross income is between $80,000 and $90,000 ($160,000 and $180,000 if filing a joint return). In addition to the two tax credits, the student loan interest deduction may be available to you. Student loan interest Students can deduct up to $2,500 of student loan interest paid in 2011 on any federal or private educational loans on your federal tax return. The loans must have been used to fund half time or greater attendance. You may qualify for this deduction if your modified adjusted gross income is less than $75,000 ($150,000 if you file a joint return). NOTE: These summaries, current at press time, are meant to give a general overview of these educational tax initiatives. Consult a tax advisor or IRS Publication 970 regarding the specifics of your personal situation.


Veterans’ benefits How to apply for veterans’ benefits Stark State College is privileged to honor the service and sacrifice of our veterans. The College is fully-accredited under the laws that provide educational benefits for veterans. The Academic Records/Registrar’s Office certifies veterans’ eligibility and assists new and continuing student veterans with the processing of VA forms for educational benefits. To receive benefits, you must apply for admission to the College by following the instructions at You can apply online, by mail or in person at the Academic Records/Registrar’s Office. Once you are notified of your admission to the College, call the College’s veterans’ representative at 330-494-6170, Ext. 4254 to schedule an appointment or drop by Room S308. Hours for one-on-one benefit counseling are Monday and Thursday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., Tuesday 1 p.m. - 4 p.m., Wednesday 11:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. - 11 a.m. The College’s veterans’ representative will provide guidance in preparing your Application for VA Education Benefits for submission to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Additional information regarding educational benefits is available at

Ohio GI Promise In an effort to assist veterans, service members and their families with reducing the costs associated with obtaining a college degree, the state of Ohio spearheaded an initiative known as the Ohio GI Promise which allows U.S. armed services veterans, their spouses and dependents who choose to attend Ohio colleges and universities to do so at in-state tuition rates. Details about the Ohio GI Promise can be found at the University System of Ohio website To determine if you meet the qualifications for in-status tuition rates, visit to print the Residency Reclassification Application, complete and return it to the Academic Records/Registrar’s Office with the appropriate required supporting documentation.

Additional scholarships/financial aid opportunities Scholarships and grants exclusively for the military community can be found at The Ohio National Guard Scholarship provides tuition assistance to qualified members; visit

The Veterans Club of Stark State College This student organization assists and encourages veterans and their family members to develop educationally and socially, gain organizational and leadership skills and learn more about the community involving the veterans through personal interaction. For more information, contact 330-494-6170, Ext. 4173 or stop by Room B230.

your connection admissions | financial aid | registration


Receiving credit for military service Some of your military experience may be applied toward credit for a degree. In order to receive credit, you must submit transcript(s) for your branch of the military. Go to and click on “Receiving Credit for Military Service” to view transcript submission information for your branch of the Armed Forces.

Other resources The General Educational Development (GED) Testing Service (GEDTS) maintains all records of GED transcripts obtained by active duty US military personnel tested after October 1, 1985, and by US military personnel and dependents tested overseas after September 1974 under the Defense Activity for Nontraditional Educational Support (DANTES) program. GEDTS also maintains records of GED Tests taken at the Veterans Medical Centers after October 1, 1989. To obtain an official copy of the GED transcript, users should complete the GED Transcript Request form ( and submit it to: GED Testing Service, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 250, Washington, DC 20036; phone 1-800-626-9433 or 202-930-9400, fax 202-659-8875, DANTES maintains the educational records of the service members who have completed DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSSTs), CLEP examinations, GED, and United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) tests. For more information, visit the DANTES website at For tests and courses taken under the auspices of USAFI before September 1974, contact Thomson Prometric at: Thomson Prometric, USAFI Records, P.O. Box 6605, Princeton, NJ 08541-6605; phone 609-895-5011, toll-free 877-471-9860, fax 609-895-5026 There is no charge for transcripts sent to military Test Control Officers (TCOs) for counseling purposes. Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty You can request a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty Form (DD-214) at Don’t have a computer? Mail your request to National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132; call 314- 801-0800 or fax 314- 801-9195.



Registering for classes

Registering for classes First-time students o Meet with an admissions counselor

All new Stark State College students are required to meet with an admissions counselor prior to registering for classes. Schedule an appointment by calling 330-494-6170 or stop in the Office of Admissions/Student Services to review COMPASS Assessment results, select a major and develop a student learning plan.

o Register for classes in the Academic Records/ Registrar’s Office .

o Review your student schedule for correct classes, days,

times, payment deadline dates, refunds and other deadlines.

Registration procedures and services o If you need to add or drop a class use mystarkstate

or file a schedule change form with the Academic Records/ Registrar’s Office.


Adjustments to your schedule could result in adjustments to your financial aid. Visit the Financial Aid Office before making any schedule changes to determine the effect a schedule change may have on your financial aid eligibility.

o Enrollment verifications can be requested through

mystarkstate. Also, after the third week of each semester, enrollment information is available from the national clearinghouse link found there.


Fully-online Students

who plan to take only online classes should refer to for application information.

your connection admissions | financial aid | registration


Costs/disbursement Estimated costs for nine months of full-time education at Stark State (based on 2011-12 average expenses)

TIP: File your FAFSA when you file your taxes!

Tuition and Fees Books and Supplies Transportation Personal Expenses Living Costs

$3,528 $972 $4,240 $6,368 $2,784-$9,744

Stark State Plus Card You will be sent a Stark State Plus Card when you enroll in classes. Activate your card as soon as you receive it; it’s the only way to receive your refund from Stark State College. Go to to select a refund preference from the following options • have your funds deposited into your current bank account the money will be available to you two to three days after the College releases the funds — OR — • choose a new Higher One debit/checking account - the money will be available to you within 24 hours after the College releases the funds — OR — • select a paper check option - the slowest way to receive funds.

Payment of fees with financial aid The method for payment of fees varies with each type of aid program. Your award notification lists your financial aid eligibility by semesters at full time status. The amount of aid typically available to you each semester is the amount listed. Your aid will be pro-rated for enrollments less than full-time (12 credit hours). Financial aid is first applied to the student’s tuition account. Any excess funds can be disbursed to you as a refund. • Financial aid funds will be applied to your account after your attendance is verified in all classes. • You will receive your financial aid refund after the term has begun. Distribution of refunds: • Summer semester: third week of classes • Fall and spring semesters: fourth week of classes • Arrival of your refund depends on the refund preference you selected when you activated your Stark State Plus Card. Visit if you wish to change your refund preference or to view account activity. 12

Bursar/Business Office The Financial Aid Office works closely with the Bursar’s Office to coordinate student billing and balances due. Refunds and disbursements are handled by the Bursar’s Office based on your enrollment.

Stark State College Student Installment Plan (SIPP) The Student Installment Payment Plan (SIPP) is printed on your schedule/receipt each semester. This program offers you the option of paying your tuition in installments. A fee of $20 is assessed; however, no interest is charged. Visit for details.

IMPORTANT Revisions and cancellations The College reserves the right to review, revise or cancel financial awards at any time due to • • • •

changes in your financial, residential or academic status. your failure to comply with the policies, procedures or laws pertaining to these programs. the availability of federal, state and institutional funds for each program. changes in College policy. The College is not obligated to satisfy the total financial need of a student.

Buying books with financial aid money The Stark State College Store offers a variety of products and services at its two locations on main campus. The main store, located in the Student Center (S105), is open Monday - Thursday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (hours vary between semesters and during summer session). The textbook center in G105 is open during the first 4-6 weeks of each semester. Once G105 closes, books can be purchased in the main store. The College Store offers competitively priced textbooks, used books and many textbook rentals, along with e-books when applicable. You must have your student ID and your schedule to buy books. You may use your financial aid to purchase books as long as your funds are available and allocated to the bookstore (after the fourth week of the term no charges to financial aid can be made on Tuesdays when the Business Office is processing refunds). Check mystarkstate for your account balance. The College Store website lets you search for and price your required texts. You also have the option to order books online and have them delivered to your home, but financial aid cannot be used for online purchases. The College Store also offers clothing, insignia items, academic supplies, and various other supplies necessary for certain programs of study. You can also buy laptops, academically priced Microsoft and Adobe software, as well as gas cards, SARTA bus passes, fax services, and laminating. Supporting the Stark State College Store supports your college. All funds generated through the store go back into Stark State College’s general fund to support you, the student.

your connection admissions | financial aid | registration


Standards of Academic Progress (SAP) At Stark State College, we care about your success! That’s why it’s important for you to understand and meet the requirements of Standards of Academic Progress (SAP). SAP, a series of standards required to maintain eligibility for federal student aid, includes requirements pertaining to completion of credit hours, grade point average (GPA) and maximum time frame as defined below. If you do not meet these requirements you will be disqualified from future financial aid.

SAP requirements Stark State College requires that any student who applies for or receives federal financial aid make satisfactory academic progress toward an Ohio Board of Regents (OBR)-approved degree or certificate. Satisfactory academic progress is measured as • Overall grade point average of 2.0. • Successful completion of 67% of the cumulative attempted credit hours, including hours of repeated coursework. Attempted hours are determined by the number of credit hours you are registered for at the end of the sixth day of the semester. • Completion of an OBR-approved degree or certificate within the number of required credit hours listed in the College catalog for the associate or certificate degree, multiplied by 150% (as determined by the Financial Aid Office), including accepted transfer credit hours and up to 30 attempted credit hours of required developmental coursework. Successful grade completions are A, B, C, UC, D, UD, CR Unsuccessful grade completions are F, W, IN, NC, NA If you repeat a course, both grades will appear on your academic record, and the most recent grade will be used in calculating the grade point average.

Monitoring progress At the end of each term attended, your academic progress will be evaluated, based upon the standards listed above. If you fail to meet any of the above requirements, you will receive a notification letter from the College. After the first term in which the requirements are not met, you will be placed on financial aid warning for one subsequent term. During the warning period, you will continue to be eligible for federal financial aid. The College encourages you to meet with an academic advisor to receive assistance with your educational goals. After the second term in which the requirements are not met, you will become ineligible for federal financial aid. In order to regain federal financial aid eligibility, you will be required to pay for your classes out-of-pocket until you are able to reach the 67% completion rate and a cumulative 2.0 GPA. 14

Appeal process If you have unusual or mitigating circumstances, you may submit an appeal requesting to continue to receive federal financial aid. Mitigating circumstances must be documented and approved by the Standards of Academic Progress Appeal Committee, made up of a financial aid representative, academic affairs representative, and student services representative. The appeal must be submitted by the last day to register in the term in which you are applying for continued federal financial aid. You may only submit two appeals during your time at Stark State College. Rare exceptions will be made to this policy. If federal financial aid is reinstated as a result of the appeals process, you are placed on probation for one term. During the probationary period, you must complete all registered courses and achieve a 2.0 grade point average for each semester of the probationary period to remain eligible to receive federal financial aid. After one semester of meeting the probation requirements, you will be placed on an academic plan and must continue to complete all registered courses and maintain a term 2.0 GPA. As long as you are meeting the requirements of the academic plan, you will continue to receive aid. Once you are at a 67% completion rate for all attempted courses and a 2.0 grade point average, you will go back to good standing.

Appeal procedure o Step 1 You must complete the Standards of Academic Progress Appeal form and submit it

to the Financial Aid Office along with an explanation and documentation of the reasons for failing to comply with the stated academic standards. The explanation must include what improvements you have made that will ensure future academic success.

o Step 2 The Standards of Academic Progress Appeal Committee, comprised of a financial aid

representative, academic affairs representative, and student services representative, will review the appeal and render a decision.

o Step 3 You will receive the written decision of the Academic Progress Appeal Committee

within ten business days of the committee meeting. The decision of the Standards of Academic Progress Appeal Committee is FINAL. The committee reserves the right to establish parameters as part of the approval process, including but not limited to restrictions of credit hours or specific courses, mandatory advising or adherence to an academic plan.

If you are approved for financial aid, you are encouraged to seek an academic advisor to review an academic plan.

your connection admissions | financial aid | registration



Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions What is financial aid?

Financial aid is money provided by various agencies (federal, state and local governments, colleges or universities, community organizations and private corporations or individuals) to assist students in meeting the cost of attending college. It includes gift aid (grants and scholarships) and self-help aid (loans and student employment).

How is my eligibility determined?

When you file the FAFSA, you are considered for all federal, state and institutional aid administered by the Financial Aid Office. One or more types of aid are awarded to make up the financial aid package.

Do I need to be a full-time student to receive financial aid?

No! The amount of financial aid awarded is determined, in part, by the number of credit hours in which you are enrolled.

What is the Expected Family Contribution?

Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the amount of money your family is expected to contribute toward educational expenses from resources other than financial aid and is based on ability to pay. The EFC is calculated using the information provided on the FAFSA. Factors used to determine a family’s contributions include the previous year’s adjusted gross income, assets, size of family and the number of individuals in the family attending college.

How is financial need determined?

Financial need is determined by the difference in the cost of attendance (COA) and the expected family contribution (the family’s ability to pay for college costs).

How do I get my books?


If you have authorized your financial aid for use other than tuition, you may be eligible to charge your books to your account using your excess financial aid. The charges will then be applied to your tuition account. The system is updated on a nightly basis as aid is processed and book charges are assessed. To see if you may be eligible to charge your books to your account, check your account via mystarkstate. If a credit appears on your account, you may be able to charge your books.

I receive no help from my parents and live on my own. Does that qualify me as an independent student?

Not necessarily. In order to be considered as an independent student for purposes of financial aid, you must be able to answer yes to at least one of the following questions for the 2012-2013 school year: 1) Were you born before January 1, 1989? 2) As of today, are you married? 3) Will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program? 4) Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training or are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?* 5) Do you have children or legal dependents (other than a spouse or children who live with your) who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013?* 6) At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court?* 7) Are you or were you an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?* 8) At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?* 9) At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?* 10) At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?* If you cannot answer “yes” to any of these questions but feel there are circumstances that warrant your classification as an independent student, call or stop by the Financial Aid Office to set up an appointment so we can review your situation. *You may be required to provide documentation to the Financial Aid Office.

What is verification?

The Department of Education selects some FAFSA applicants for a process called verification. If you are selected, you may be asked to complete a verification worksheet and provide a federal tax return transcript from the IRS and other income documents as required to the Stark State College Financial Aid Office. Spouse or parents’ information and other documents may also be requested. Verification must be completed before aid eligibility can be confirmed.

your connection admissions | financial aid | registration


I have a bachelor’s degree. May I still apply for financial aid?

TIP: File a FAFSA for financial aid!

Students with bachelor’s degrees may still apply for the Federal Work-Study Program, Federal Direct Subsidized Loan and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. These students are not eligible for the Federal Pell or FSEOG grants.

I am divorced/separated. What should I include on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

Students who are divorced or separated should not include their ex-spouse’s income on the FAFSA. For more information on detailed or complicated questions, contact a Stark State College financial aid representative.

I was recently married. Do I have to include my spouse’s income on the FAFSA?

Yes. You should include your spouse’s information on the FAFSA if you are married at the time the application is completed. If separate federal income tax returns were filed, combine the adjusted gross incomes from the tax returns and include them on the appropriate line of the FAFSA. Do the same for the amount of taxes paid and other amounts.

What if I lost my job or have other special circumstances?

The Financial Aid Office can take into account special circumstances which may affect your need. These may include loss of income due to layoff, disability, divorce, separation or loss of untaxed benefits. You can obtain a special conditions form from the Financial Aid Office and make an appointment with a financial aid counselor. NOTE: Not all requests for special conditions are approved.

Can I get financial aid for the summer semester?

Yes. You need to complete the FAFSA by March 1 of each year in order to have your aid ready for the summer.

What is Standards of Academic Progress (SAP)?


Standards of Academic Progress is a federal policy that the school is required to enforce to ensure that you are making progress toward your degree. Please refer to the Standards of Academic Progress for Stark State College outlined in this booklet or visit

What if I need to change my address?

If your address changes, you need to immediately notify the Academic Records/ Registrar’s Office. This will update all College addresses. You can update your address through mystarkstate or by submitting the change of address form available in the Office of Admissions/Student Services.

What if I receive more financial aid than the cost of my tuition?

If you have excess money after tuition and fees are paid, you can be issued a refund. Financial aid funds will be applied to your account after your attendance is verified in all classes. You will receive your financial aid refund from the Business Office after the term has begun.

What will happen to my financial aid if I drop a class or just stop attending?

Attendance and academic performance are important! Withdrawing or ceasing attendance before the 60% point of the term could cause you to owe the College and/or the U.S. Department of Education money. Also, you will jeopardize your future eligibility for financial aid. See the Financial Aid Office before any withdrawal so that you may be made aware of the potential impact of your decision.

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

Yes! When you file your taxes, you need to begin the FAFSA process for the new year.

Is there any way I can check the status of my financial aid on the web?

Students can access their financial aid information through mystarkstate. Students can view detailed information regarding their financial aid status, as well as review and approve financial aid awards.

How will the College contact me concerning my financial aid?

The Financial Aid Office will contact you by email and provide you with access to mystarkstate.

your connection admissions | financial aid | registration



Other information to know

Class attendance To ensure the commitment to student success, attendance must be taken in all scheduled and online classes starting with the first day of class. Faculty may elect to relate course attendance to the course grading policy. This will be specified in each course syllabus. For federal financial aid compliance, attendance will be recorded by the faculty and reported to the College’s Registrar’s Office. A student is considered a non-attendee in any course modality when he or she does not physically attend a class session or does not log in and participate in the course content as per the Federal Financial Aid Guidelines. Students who receive federal financial aid and do not attend classes will be dropped from their classes and have their financial aid cancelled or reduced. The federal government mandated that federal monies for non-attendees who receive federal financial aid be returned to the Federal Government. Attendance will also be documented at the end of each semester to verify the last day attended in each class.

Title IV Refund The Financial Aid Office is required by federal statute to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for students who completely withdraw, stop attending, or take a medical leave prior to completing 60% of a payment period or term. Recalculation is based on the percentage of earned aid using the following Federal Return of Title IV funds formula: Percentage of payment period or term completed (the number of days completed up to the withdrawal date) divided by the total days in the payment period or term (any break of five days or more is not counted as part of the term). This percentage of completed days is equal to the percentage of earned aid.

Title IV refund process Funds are returned to the appropriate federal program based on the percentage of unearned aid. If you earned less aid than was disbursed, the institution would be required to return a portion of the funds and/or you would be required to return a portion of the funds within 45 days. Keep in mind that when Title IV funds are returned, you may owe a balance to the institution. If you earned more aid than was disbursed to you, the institution would owe you a post-withdrawal disbursement which must be paid within 120 days of your withdrawal. Refunds are allocated in the following order: • Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan • Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan • Federal Parent (PLUS) Loan • Federal Pell Grant • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant 20

If there is a Pell Grant overpayment and you do not repay the funds within 30 days, the account will be turned over to the Department of Education as an overpayment of federal funds. Students who owe an overpayment of Title IV grant funds are ineligible for further disbursements from the federal financial aid programs, grants and loans at any institution until the overpayment is paid in full or payment arrangements are made with the Department of Education. If you do not pay funds due to the College to cover a tuition and fees balance that resulted from the college returning unearned federal funds, a hold will be placed on your account. This means that you will not be permitted to register for classes or receive transcripts until your balance is paid in full.

Student rights/responsibilities/information Student rights. You have the right to

• know how your financial need is determined, including the cost of attendance, and how your family contribution is determined. • know how and when you will receive student assistance. • request an explanation of the type and amount of financial assistance you are receiving. • if you have a loan – know the type, the interest rate, amount to be repaid, when you must begin repayment and other cancellation and deferment provisions. • if you are offered a Federal Work-Study job – know the kind of job, what hours you must work, what your duties will be and how and when you will be paid. • discuss your financial aid package with a representative of the Financial Aid Office. • know how the College determines if you are making satisfactory progress and what happens if you are not.

Student responsibilities. You are required to • report any scholarship, fee waiver, loan, grant, employment earnings or other financial benefits which you receive from any source other than Stark State College. Such benefits, if not already taken into consideration, may result in a revision or cancellation of other financial aid benefits. • provide all documentation requested by the Financial Aid Office or other agencies. • read and understand all forms that you are asked to sign and maintain copies of them. • know and comply with all deadlines for application and re-application for financial aid. • complete the FAFSA correctly, and submit it two to three months prior to the semester you plan to attend. • follow up on any corrections or adjustments as requested. • accept responsibility for all loan promissory notes and other agreements that you sign. • understand loan obligations and make repayment as required. • notify your lender(s) of any changes in your name, address or enrollment status. If you drop below half-time status, complete and submit exit loan information. • perform in a satisfactory manner work agreed upon for Federal Work-Study jobs. • know and comply with the school’s refund procedure available on the College website.

your connection admissions | financial aid | registration


Student confidentiality Financial assistance records

In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) (Public Law 93-380 as amended) all information received in connection with applications for admissions and financial aid are held in the strictest confidence. No information will be released regarding students except by written request of the student. Under FERPA, you have the right to inspect your student file. You may review information in your file and receive copies and information upon written request.

Release of information to another party You must complete and sign a consent form before any information will be released to another party. On the consent form, you must indicate which semester(s) you want information released. You must allow 10 days for this processing. Information regarding fees and bookstore charges must be obtained from the Business Office. Your signature on a loan application authorizes Stark State College to release to the lending institution, subsequent holder, the guarantor, U.S. Department of Education, or their agents any requested information pertinent to the student loan(s).

Other information For additional information about Stark State College’s facilities, programs or eligibility requirements, refer to the College catalog or call the Office of Admissions/Student Services. Information regarding the College’s drug prevention program may be obtained in the Office of Admissions/Student Services.

Student services

Disability Support Services The Disability Support Services Office staff assists students with disabilities by providing academic support services accommodations, academic advising, admissions and financial aid assistance, and career guidance. Examples of accommodations may include testing accommodations, tape recorded lectures, sign language interpreters, alternative format books and note-taking services. Students with disabilities are eligible for equal access under the law. Accommodations may be available to students and prospective students of Stark State who have a documented disability. Individuals who may be eligible for services include, but are not limited to, those with mobility, orthopedic, hearing, vision, mental health, or speech impairments as well as those with learning disabilities. 22

To apply for services • Make an appointment with Disability Support Services. • Complete an application to register for services. • Submit copies of documentation which may include test reports and school records, or a disability verification form from a physician, psychiatrist or psychologist. • Meet with a representative of Disability Support Services initially and touch base with them each semester to discuss accommodations.

Career Development The Career Development Office is dedicated to empowering students and alumni in developing career planning and job search skills and facilitating mutually beneficial relationships between employers, students and alumni. Services include • • • • • • • • • • • •

advisory committee career center career guidance program careers and community for people with disabilities distribution of associate degree graduates graduate status survey on-campus interviews resume referral services employment opportunities web-based career planning and employment links job fair mock interviews

For details about any of the programs, call the Career Development Office.

Multicultural Student Affairs Stark State College acknowledges, respects and values differences among its students. The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs has been created to provide services to students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds to enhance each student’s campus experience. The office is designed to serve as • a resource and support center for students from underrepresented groups. • an active participant in the recruitment of students from various backgrounds to more accurately reflect the demographic make-up of the larger community that the College serves. • a provider of services designed to assist students in matriculation and persistence throughout the entire College experience from application to graduation. • a promoter of cultural understanding across the College community. For more information, call of stop by the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs.

your connection admissions | financial aid | registration

Satellite Centers and off-campus course sites Stark State College understands the importance of making college education accessible by establishing satellite centers and off-campus course sites at convenient locations. These sites offer courses that lead to associate degrees and certificate programs offered on main campus in North Canton. Financial aid and scholarship opportunities are available at satellite centers where traditional and non-traditional students are offered the same convenience, affordability, quality faculty and individualized attention as our main campus. Other advantages to taking courses at our centers include small class sizes, personal attention, convenient locations and parking and gas savings. For more information concerning satellite centers go to

Student Life The Office of Student Life encourages and supports student organizations, activities and initiatives to complement the educational environment and enhance student life, leadership and service on and off campus. The office also supports the work of students as they develop and implement activities to meet their needs and interests beyond the classroom, both personally and professionally. Overseeing more than two dozen student organizations, the Office of Student Life encourages the importance of proactive leadership, enhances team-building skills and values responsible citizenship through service to the community. Student Life organizes activities for students to increase their involvement in campus life outside the classroom, handles posting on campus bulletin boards and publishes Stark Voices, the student organization manual and calendar of events for student organization use. We provide students the opportunity to pursue interests and talents in an organized environment with their peers. For more information on how to take an active role and get involved, call or stop by the Office of Student Life.


Directory Stark State College 6200 Frank Ave. N.W. North Canton, OH 44720 330-494-6170 Academic Records/Registrar 330-494-6170, Ext. 4301 330-966-6598 (fax) 8 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. M - Th 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. F Room S308 Office of Admissions/Student Services 330-494-6170 1-800-797-8275 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. M - Th 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. F Room S305 Bookstore 330-966-5452 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. M - Th 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. F Room S105 Cashier’s Window 330-494-6170, Ext 4210/4404 8 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. M - Th 8 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. F Room S300 Career Development Office 330-966-5459 8 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. M - Th 8 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. F Room S100 Disability Support Services Office 330-494-6170, Ext. 4935 8 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. M - Th 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. F Room S307

Financial Aid Office 330-494-6170, Ext. 4301 330-966-6598 (fax) 8 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. M - Th 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. F Room S308 Office of Multicultural Affairs 330-494-6170, Ext. 4274 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M - F Room S302 Office of Student Life 330-494-6170, Ext. 4237 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M - F Room S302a Veterans’ assistance Stark State College - Registrar’s Office 330-494-6170, Ext. 4254 Federal Student Aid Information For general federal student aid information 1-800-433-3243 Federal income tax information Internal Revenue Service Request a tax return transcript 1-800-829-1040 State grants and scholarships Ohio Board of Regents State Grants and Scholarships Department 309 South Fourth Street P. O. Box 182452 Columbus, Ohio 43218-2452 1-888-833-1133 614-466-7420 Direct Lending 1-800-848-0979

Stark State College Stark State College | 6200 Frank Ave. N.W. | North Canton, OH 44720 330-494-6170 | 1-800-797-8275 |



Stark State College Enrollment Guide  

A booklet containing information essential to your college success. A guide for admissions, financial aid and enrolling in classes at Stark...