TEL_08262015

Page 1

Your source for community news and sports 7 days a week.

Girls are off BOTH SIDES WIN IN like a rocket THE BARBECUE GAME

CROSS COUNTRY, B1

FOOD, A9-10

TELEGRAPH

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

SERVING DIXON AND THE SURROUNDING AREA SINCE 1851

ILLINOIS BUDGET BATTLE | SAUK VALLEY IMPACT

War on heroin faces a new battle: The budget Local law enforcement leaders say Rauner veto could cripple efforts to fight addiction BY CHRISTI WARREN cwarren@saukvalley.com 800-798-4085, ext. 5521 @SeaWarren

DIXON – The decision by Gov. Bruce Rauner to cut a key provision from a bill intended to help opiate addicts could be

“crippling” to efforts of local law enforcement agencies, officials say. In Rauner’s amendatory veto Monday of the bipartisan bill, he eliminated a requirement that Medicaid cover heroin addiction treatment, as well as

anti-overdose and addictiontreatment medications. It’s a move that, unless threefifths of the House and the Senate vote to override it, would be immensely damaging to a new program spearheaded by PRISM of Lee County. The

program allows opiate addicts to – without fear of legal action – show up at the Dixon Police Department, turn over their paraphernalia and drugs, and ask for help. HEROIN CONTINUED ON A5

More on the budget Gov. Rauner and lawmakers focus – and bicker – on the little things. Page A7 It’s time to check out a copy of “Fixing Illinois” – again. Page A6

EDUCATION

DIXON

Enrollment at Sauk declines

On the road to success

College working on ways to reverse downward trend

Riders have LOTS to be thankful for as local Greyhound routes are off to a good start

BY JERMAINE PIGEE jpigee@saukvalley.com 800-798-4085, ext. 5525 @JPigee84

DIXON – Enrollment is on the decline at Sauk Valley Community College, and it’s costing the college money. Sauk reported 1,895 students are enrolled this semester, 313 fewer than last fall, when 2,208 students were enrolled at the 2-year college – and fewer students hitting the books means less money on the college’s books. The college is losing about $350,000, or 7.4 percent of tuition revenue, compared to this time last year. “The funding from the college comes from local tax support, from the state – in theory – and tuition,” said Dave Hellmich, Dave president at Sauk. “I’m conHellmich cerned with how much money we have brought into the college in terms of tuition this year compared to last fall.” The decline is something of a good news-bad news story. While fewer students is bad news for the college, it means there’s good news for the economy.

BY BRENDEN WEST bwest@saukvalley.com 800-798-4085, ext. 5529 @BWest_SVM

DIXON – Local transportation officials are making a lot of connections with their new bus route. The new Interstate 88 Greyhound Bus route is nearing its third full month of usage, and already they’re surprised and excited at how many people are catching a ride. Launched in June, service features four daily routes from Davenport to Chicago, with Dixon being one of five stops along the way. The Dixon-based LeeOgle Transportation System obtained federal funding to launch the program, which was years in the making, LOTS executive director Jaime Blatti said. So far, the number of passengers using the Greyhound route is promising, she said. “We were all pleasantly surprised and excited with the preliminary ridership reports,” Blatti said. “It shows there is a great need for this service.” GREYHOUND CONTINUED ON A2

SAUK CONTINUED ON A5

STERLING

Photos by Michael Krabbenhoeft/mkrabbenhoeft@saukvalley.com

ABOVE: Jaime Blatti, executive director of the Lee-Ogle Transportation System, stands inside a Greyhound Connect bus Tuesday that was parked in front of the Reagan Transit Center in Dixon. BELOW: A Greyhound Connect bus leaves the Reagan Transit Center in Dixon on Tuesday afternoon.

Westwood project almost finished Another project will begin soon BY PAM EGGEMEIER peggemeier@saukvalley.com 800-798-4085, ext. 5570 @pam_eggemeier

STERLING – One project at Westwood Fitness and Sports Center should wrap up before the end of the year, and a more ambitious undertaking to resurrect a long-dormant building will begin soon. Though the $335,000 elevator project on Building 3 has inconvenienced the public – sending people to a side door while a vestibule was built near the front entrance – the elevator that will reach the building’s mezzanine will be finished this year. “We’ve had the plans approved, and the permitting is in order,” Park District Director Larry Schuldt said, adding that the district is just waiting on “some things we had to order.” Building 3, built in 2002, has eight courts used primarily for basketball and volleyball. The building is also used for track meets, soccer, flag football, and special events such as expositions, meetings, and trade shows.

Building 2 The much larger $1.1 million renovation project at Westwood’s Building 2 will be done in phases. WESTWOOD CONTINUED ON A4

$1.00

TODAY’S EDITION: 28 PAGES 2 SECTIONS VOL. 164 ISSUE 83

INDEX

ABBY ................... A8 BUSINESS ......... A12 COMICS ...............B4

CROSSWORD....B13 FOOD ..............A9-10 LIFESTYLE ........... A8

LOTTERY ............. A2 OBITUARIES ........ A4 OPINION .............. A6

Today’s weather High 75. Low 50. More on A3.

Need work? Check out your classifieds, B8.

TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE PAPER, CALL 815-284-2224 OR 800-798-4085


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.