MONDAY
Augus t 17, 2015 • $1 .0 0
DAILY CHRONICLE READY TO WIN
Fresh off a year where he qualified for state, Genoa-Kingston’s Lucca hungry for more / B1 HIGH
86 66 Complete forecast on page A12
daily-chronicle.com
SERVING DEKALB COUNTY SINCE 1879
Board to consider gambling resolution
LOW
Facebook.com/dailychronicle
@dailychronicle
BACK-TO-SCHOOL BASICS MADE EASY
Potawatomi Nation wants land near Shabbona put in federal trust By RHONDA GILLESPIE rgillespie@shawmedia.com DeKALB – A decade ago, DeKalb County Board member John Gudmunson didn’t support the Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation bringing gambling to the Shabbona area. That’s when the idea was first brought up. He said he likely won’t vote in favor of the latest effort by the tribe when it comes up for approval at the board’s meeting Wednesday. “I’m not against the tribe making money,” said Gudmunson, R-11th District. “My concern is still for the folks in the rural areas.” Earlier this month, the Nation revived its plans to bring Class II gaming – mostly bingo – near the sleepy town of 950 that bears the name of its late chief. In 2008, the sovereign tribe and DeKalb County entered into an agreement that would have the Nation pay the county the greater of $800,000 or 2.5 percent of its net profits annually, adopt laws congruent with local ones and pay any displaced homeowners “fair market
value” for their property – among other things. The Nation owns land just outside of Shabbona’s border that, right now, serves as cornfields grown by a farmer who’s renting the land. Plans to bring what is expected to be a bingo hall to the location have stalled for years, waiting for the Nation to get the land officially designated a reservation or held in trust by the federal government. Either classification is required in order for a gambling hall to be built on the land, according to the National Indian Gaming Commission, the federal agency that would regulate the facility. The tribe has not been able to get the land deemed a reservation, so now it is seeking to have the U.S. Department of the Interior hold it in trust. The county’s economic development committee, at its Aug. 4 meeting, approved putting before the full County Board a resolution of support from DeKalb County
See RESOLUTION, page A10
Julian Bond, former NAACP chairman, activist, dies at 75 By JESSE J. HOLLAND and JEFF MARTIN The Associated Press ATLANTA – Julian Bond’s life traced the arc of the civil rights movement, from his efforts as a militant young man to start a student protest group all the way to the top leadership post at the NAACP. Year after year, the calm, telegenic Bond was one of the nation’s most poetic voices for equality, inspiring fellow activists with his words in the 1960s Julian Bond and sharing the movement’s vision with succeeding generations as a speaker and academic. He died Saturday at 75. Former Ambassador Andrew Young said Bond’s legacy would be as a “lifetime struggler.” “He started when he was about 17 and he went to 75,”
Young said. “And I don’t know a single time when he was not involved in some phase of the civil rights movement.” Bond died in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, after a brief illness, according to a statement issued Sunday by the Southern Poverty Law Center, an advocacy group he founded in 1971 and helped oversee for the rest of his life. His wife, Pamela Horowitz, said Bond suffered from vascular disease. Her husband, she said, “never took his eyes off the prize and that was always racial equality.” The son of a college president burst into the national consciousness after helping to start the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee, where he rubbed shoulders with committee leaders Stokely Carmichael and John Lewis. As the committee grew into one of the movement’s
See BOND, page A6
Photos by Monica Synett – msynett@shawmedia.com
Jonathan Martinez, 6, of DeKalb receives a free backpack full of school supplies during the third annual Back to School Bash on Saturday at Welsh Park in DeKalb. This year, the number of backpacks given away nearly doubled from 300 to about 600.
Helping kids get ready Back To School Bash provides hundreds of supply-filled backpacks By RHONDA GILLESPIE rgillespie@shawmedia.com DeKALB – The four youngsters Christin Howard brought to the Back To School Bash on Saturday in Welsh Park left the event with bags full of goodies. Her daughter, Keeshona Fox, and niece Dasia Henderson, students at Clinton Rosette Middle School, toted bags filled with food. Howard’s greatniece, Jayla Howard, and great-nephew, Semaj Howard, had backpacks filled More online with classroom essentials like folders, To see video pencils, crayons and from the Back to notebook paper. School Bash, visit S h e s a i d t h e Daily-Chronicle. t h i r d - a n d s e c - com. ond-graders, respectively, are ready to head back to Gwendolyn Brooks Elementary School. Howard said the community event really helps parents such as herself kickoff the new school year with students having a lot of the supplies they need. “Whether you’re low-income or not, it does help,” Howard said. “It comes in handy, when you’re deciding whether to pay the light bill, [or buy] school supplies and gym shoes.” The scores of children who were at the event enjoyed playing the yard games and jumping in the inflatable house. Many of them cranked their fists and waved their arms on cue as the live DJ blared the summer’s popu-
Zachary Hodsden, 6, of Sycamore, hula hoops while taking part in an obstacle race during Saturday’s Back to School Bash. lar songs. It was a community party – with a purpose, said Treveda Redmond, who lives in DeKalb. She’s a member of Delta Sigma Theta Inc. sorority, and three years ago started this event as part of her local chapter. Parents such as Howard have attended every year, underscoring why Redmond said she has pushed to make the Back to School Bash bigger each year. The bash “came as a result of me being a teacher and seeing that students need school supplies to start the school year off,” said Redmond, who recently resigned from Clinton Rosette Middle School. She is now an assistant principal at Guilford High School in Rockford.
Redmond said it can be “a hard thing for families” to try and purchase all of the items on a school supply list, and she wanted to help. “It has grown to something big. Last year we gave out 300 backpacks. This year, we’re close to 600,” Redmond said. Jacki Cave said her new kindergartner received just about all of the supplies she needed Saturday. Her 5-year-old, Victoria McNease, is headed to Jefferson Elementary School next week. “For a lot of people like me – not working – if you can get extra, it helps,” said Cave, a 28-year-old DeKalb mother of two. She was also grateful for what
See SCHOOL, page A10
LEFT: Cousins Denarius Hill, 6, and Jayell Harris, 5, each receive a backpack filled with school supplies during Saturday’s Back to School Bash. RIGHT: Becky Vos of DeKalb picks up some fresh vegetables from the DeKalb County Community Gardens booth Saturday during the Back to School Bash.
LOCAL NEWS
LOCAL NEWS
SCENE
‘Jurassic Park’
Culinary creation Music & more
DeKalb movie lover replicates, drives Jeep from 1993 film / A2
Residents competed in cooking contest to benefit local children in need / A3
Ribs, Rhythm & Brews Fest coming Saturday to Sycamore / A8
WHERE IT’S AT Advice ................................ B4 Classified....................... B6-8 Comics ............................... B5 Local News.................... A2-4 Lottery................................ A2 Nation&World...................A4
Obituaries .........................A4 Opinion..............................A11 Puzzles ............................... B4 Sports..............................B1-3 State .............................. A2, 4 Weather ........................... A12