GOLDEN EAGLE UPDATE April 21- May 4 , 2014 - University of Minnesota Crookston Athletic Department The Next Two Weeks Baseball April 22 - at Bemidji State (3/5 p.m., Bemidji, Minn.) April 26 - SMSU (1/3 p.m., UMC Baseball Field) April 27 - SMSU (12/2 p.m., UMC Baseball Field) April 30 - at Minot State (1:30/3:30 p.m., Minot, N.D.) May 2 - Minnesota Duluth Senior Day (1:30/3:30p.m.,UMCBaseballField) May 3 - Minnesota Duluth (12/2 p.m. , UMC Baseball Field)
Recently IN GOLDEN EAGLE ATHLETICS
Softball April 22 - Minot State Senior Day (2/4 p.m., UMC Softball Field) April 26 - at Upper Iowa (1/3 p.m., Fayette, Iowa) April 27 - at Winona State (12/2 p.m., Winona, Minn.)
- University of Minnesota Crookston Director of Athletics Stephanie Helgeson announced the hiring of Dan Weisse as head men’s basketball coach. Weisse, most recently an assistant coach at Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) school Minnesota State University Moorhead, is no stranger to the conference and the region as he takes over the helm of the Golden Eagle program. Weisse worked the last three years as an assistant coach at Minnesota State University Moorhead. Before that, he was the Director of Operations at North Dakota State University.
Men’s Golf April 21 - at BSU Spring Invite (Menagha, Minn.)
- The UMC tennis team closed out the 2014 season with a 4-12 mark on the year, surpassing their 2013 win total in the first season under Head Coach Kyle Anderson. The Golden Eagles had wins over University of Minnesoa Duluth, Bethany Lutheran College, Concordia College Moorhead and University of Minnesota Morris. Holly Fletcher (Sr., Osage, Minn./Sports and Rec Management) led UMC with seven singles wins. In doubles, the pair of Katelyn Johnson (Sr., Monticello, Minn./Animal Science) and Catherine Brown (So., Powell Butte, Ore./Animal Science) had an outstanding season with a 10-6 mark at No. 1 doubles.
Women’s Golf April 26-27 - NSIC Championships (Morton, Minn.)
- The Golden Eagle baseball team is currently 1-35 (0-24 NSIC) on the season. The Golden Eagles have been competitive on the season but have fallen short in conference play recently. UMC recently lost four games to Wayne State College (Neb.). They were very competitive in Friday’s games falling 4-0 and 3-1 to the Wildcats despite strong pitching from Richie Navratil (Sr., P, Blansko, Czech Republic/Sports and Red Management) and Matt Korte (Sr., 3B/P, St. Cloud, Minn./Accounting). On Saturday, UMC struggled to keep the ball in the park as Wayne State hit five home runs on the day in 12-0 and 9-2 losses to the Wildcats. Ryan Haggstrom (So., C/1B/P, Apple Valley, Minn./Accounting) continues to lead the UMC bats with a .331 batting average, 17 runs scored and 13 RBI’s.
Football April 27 - Spring Game (4 p.m., Alerus Center Grand Forks, N.D.) Equestrian May 1-4 - IHSA Nationals Harrisburg, Pa. BOLD - Home
- The UMC hunt seat equestrian team competed at the Intercollegiate Horse Show Assoication (IHSA) Zone Championships where they placed fourth overall as a team. Emily Steeley (So., Portsmouth, R.I./Equine Science) competed individually in Open Equitation Over Fences that she had qualified for in Regionals and placed first advancing to IHSA Nationals. Steeley will also compete for the Cacchione Cup, which will pit her against the nation’s top riders. - UMC western rider Shannon Salm (Jr., Larsen, Wis./Equine Science) placed fourth in her Individual Novice division in order to advance to the IHSA Nationals, May 1-4 in Harrisburg, Pa. at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex.
- The UMC Softball team is 3-28 (1-17 NSIC) on the season. The Golden Eagles’ NSIC slate has been highlighted by a 4-3 win over St. Cloud State University April 8. The Golden Eagles got strong pitching from Paige Schaust (Sr., OF/P, Delano, Minn./Early Childhood Education) on the game. The game was saved on a fantastic play from Ashley Manusos (Sr., OF, Spring Grove, Ill./Sports and Rec M anagement) to rob a home run from the Huskies. - The UMC mens’ golf team placed fifth at the NSIC Men’s Golf Championship, one of their strongest finishes in recent history. They were led by Matt McClure (Jr., Grand Rapids, Minn./Natural Resources) who placed in a tie for seventh place. - The UMC women’s golf team placed 10th at the Augustana Spring Invite April 12 and 13. Katie Sheetz (So., Grand Rapids, Minn./ Biology), who tied for 15th on the tournament.
TEAMBACKER MEMBERSHIP UPDATE
- As of April 21, the UMC Teambackers have 167 members and have received $104,422 in cash and in-kind gifts.
GOLDEN EAGLE UPDATE April 21- May 4 , 2014 - University of Minnesota Crookston Athletic Department
UMC TEAMBACKERS STUDENT-ATHLETES OF THE WEEK For the Week of April 10 - 16
- Emily Steeley (Sr., Hunt Seat Equestrian, Portsmouth, R.I.) advanced to the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) National Championships in Harrisburg, Pa. May 9-11 after placing first in Open Equitation Over Fences at IHSA Zones in Madison, Wis. April 13. Steeley had already advanced to IHSA Nationals after winning the Cacchione Cup for the region earlier this year. She will be competing for both the title in Open Equitation Over Fences and the Cacchione Cup in Harrisburg in May.
- Matt McClure (Jr., Men’s Golf, Grand Rapids, Minn.) coming off a top-10 finish at the NSIC Men’s Golf Spring Championship at Tiburon Golf Club in Omaha, Neb. The junior shot an overall score of 229 over the three rounds of the Championship, which included two rounds in the Fall. McClure finished tied for seventh as he helped his team to a fifth-place finish. The junior has tallied three-straight top-10 finishes this Spring after not participating in the first tournament of the Spring following a death in the family. McClure leads the team this year with a 76.8 average.
For the Week of April 3 - 9
- Paige Schaust (Sr., Softball, Delano, Minn.) was a major contributor in UMC’s first NSIC win over St. Cloud State. In the circle, she picked up her third win of the season. She pitched seven innings while allowing three earned runs on six hits in the win over the Huskies. The senior ace had a two-hit shutout going into the sixth inning for Minnesota Crookston. At the plate,, Schaust went 4-for-17 for a .235 average with one run scored. She was 1-for-3 at the plate in the win over the Huskies.
- Travis Magdzas (Jr., Baseball, Duluth, Minn.) was 7-of-12 with a .583 batting average on the week for the Golden Eagle baseball team as UMC faced Northern State University and St. Cloud State University. Magdzas went 3-for-4 in game two last Sunday against Northern State. Against St. Cloud State, he went 3-for-6 on the day over two games with one run scored. Magdzas improved his batting average from .245 to .308 over the five games he appeared in.
Published on Apr 21, 2014