Page 1

health & social care Health & Social Care - AS/A2

Exam Board: WJEC

What are care values? What skills are required by those working in the health and social care sectors? What issues do health and social care professionals’ face in their work? How do health promotion campaigns work?

Is Health & Social Care for you? You must have achieved at least 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including at least a grade C in English Language. You are interested in a career in the Health or Social care professions and wish to develop the personal and professional skills you will need for this.

You want to study a course which places emphasis on developing skills as well as academic achievement. You want to gain work experience and learn from Health and Social Care practitioners. You are committed to care values such as equal opportunities.


What will I learn? AS Year

How will I be assessed?

Promoting quality care and communication

Assessment will be through written coursework assignments which will form 80% of your overall mark, and through a written exam which forms the remaining 20%.

You will be introduced to the factors affecting the quality of life. You will also learn about the care principles, skills and techniques required by both formal and informal carers to treat individuals well within a range of care settings.

Promoting good health You will gain knowledge and understanding of the factors that influence an individual’s health and well-being, and how recent government initiatives promote good health.

A2 Year Provision of health, social care and Children’s Services You will study the main health, social care and Children’s Services to meet individual needs.

What activities can I get involved in? The College has lots of exciting enrichment and C.V building opportunities including the chance to earn the Duke of Edinburgh’s Gold Award, learn a new skill, learn a language, join a club, take up or develop a sport or take on a new challenge. See the College Prospectus for further information about what is on offer.

Working in Health and Social Care You will prepare for employment within the areas of health, social care and children’s services. This will enable you to reflect on your own suitability for employment in different job roles, and will also provide opportunities to build on your knowledge and understanding of caring skills and techniques.

Where does it lead? The Health and Social Care course provides preparation for a wide range of careers within the care field including nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, social work and working with children in a variety of settings. Skills gained on these courses are also transferable to a range of other careers. There are many related courses which you could study in Higher Education, ranging from health promotion to Psychology. If you wish to become a teacher, you should study Health and Social Care alongside a National Curriculum based subject at A-Level.

Expect more from your sixth form Facebook.com/birkenheadsixthformcollege

@BSFC

tel: 0151 652 5575 email: enrol@bsfc.ac.uk

bsfc.ac.uk

Health and social care  
Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you