/ by Jack Wolfson, MD
5 Reasons to Drink Kombucha The kombucha trend is in full swing. Just about every grocery store stocks a variety of brands and some restaurants even have kombucha on tap. But is this new craze healthy? The answer is a definite “Yes.” Kombucha is a fermented beverage made from black or green tea, sugar, and a combination of yeast and bacteria. The bugs change the sugar into vinegar, so there is little sugar that remains in the final beverage. The bacteria also contain vitamins and minerals, adding to the health value of the drink. The real nutritional value of kombucha resides in the fact that it is a tremendous source of probiotics. Fermented foods and beverages have been staples in societies around the world for thousands of years. Here are five reasons why kombucha is healthy for the young, the old and everyone in between.
1. Kombucha aids brain and nervous system health Kombucha has a hefty serving of the B group that aids in mental wellness. Anxiety, stress, depression, and anger are all emotions that can be improved with vitamin B support.
2. Antioxidants are found in Kombucha Antioxidants are the body’s way of dealing with toxins: natural and synthetic. Kombucha comes from tea leaves with extensive evidence of health benefits from antioxidants.
3. It contains probiotics Gut bacteria fill our intestines and assist in digestion, nutrient absorption, nutrient formation, and immune function. The medical literature is loaded with data supporting probiotic supplementation from natural food sources and nutritional supplements.
4. The drink can help control blood sugar Blood sugar is a very important component for health and elevated blood sugar, especially in those labelled with diabetes, and it is a health disaster. The nutrients in kombucha can help combat blood sugar problems.
5. Kombucha for cholesterol? You bet. Evidence shows that kombucha can help with total cholesterol reduction and improvement in triglyceride levels.
Dr. Jack Wolfson is a board-certified cardiologist and a fellow of the American College of Cardiology who has emerged as one of the world’s leading holistic natural cardiologist’s. Dr. Wolfson has taught over 10,000 physicians his natural heart health best practices and his book, The Paleo Cardiologist: The Natural Way to Heart Health, was an Amazon #1 best seller. To learn more visit, www.thedrswolfson.com.