Built on six decades of experience. Collection by Glenvill, from $350K.
Artistic design, quality and affordability – with Collection, you can have it all. Each Collection home is carefully crafted by Glenvill’s dedicated team of designers and builders – all working together under one roof. The result? Uncompromising quality that’s sixty years in the making. Starting from $350K, book your appointment today to experience the difference.
Discover more: glenvillhomes.com.au/collection (03 )9573 8393
WAKE UP TO SURF COAST Here on the Surf Coast, we don’t do things in half measures. The waves are big, the locals are supremely talented, and the food is so fresh it practically just walked out of the ocean. Here’s everything you need to know about exploring the Surf Coast with our top 5 must dos for each of its main towns: 1. TAKE A SURF LESSON – If you’re new to surfing, Torquay is a brilliant spot to get started. Grab a lesson with Go Ride a Wave or Torquay Surfing Academy.
WAKE UP TO
2. TORQUAY FARMERS MARKET – Are you a Saturday morning market browser? Drop in to the Torquay Farmers Market, a proper good-old-fashioned farmers market where friendly local vendors fill your basket with all the artisan cheeses, jams and fresh fruit and veg you can carry. 3. WALK PART OF THE SURF COAST WALK – This 44km trail connecting Torquay, Anglesea and Aireys Inlet boasts flat, kid-friendly and easy shared paths, with dogs allowed on lead for most of the trail. 4. DINE AT ONE OF TORQUAY’S NEWEST RESTAURANTS – The Surf Coast food scene exemplifies the charm of regional restaurants, and Samesyn is no exception. Head Chef, Graham, has called the Surf Coast home for over 12 years and he also helmed one of our favourite Geelong restaurants, Tulip. Samesyn popped up in Torquay a little over a year ago, bringing those same gorgeous flavours to the coast. 5. CATCH A BAND – A visit to the Surf Coast isn’t complete without a pit stop at Torquay’s eponymous pub. Not only is it just a block from the beach, but it also has a gigantic beer garden and attracts some of the biggest names in Aussie music.
WAKE UP TO
1. DINE AT A LA GRECQUE – Simple, tasty, seasonal. Casual, relaxed, refreshed. It’s an ethos perfectly suited to the laid back Surf Coast. But don’t let the simplicity fool you, the food at a la grecque is nothing short of divine. 2. STOP IN AT EAGLES NEST FINE ART GALLERY – Collecting the most beautiful and thought provoking works from artists along the Great Ocean Road, this gallery is utterly dreamy. 3. PACK A PICNIC AND HEAD TO MOGGS CREEK – Moggs Creek is a perfect little hideaway for a picnic or pack the hiking boots and go for a bushwalk. This dog-friendly trail passes through eucalypt forests and heathland and is perfect for wildlife spotting. 4. SPLIT POINT LIGHTHOUSE – No trip to Aireys Inlet is complete with out soaking up the maritime history at the famous Split Point Lighthouse. For just $10 you can see the inner workings for yourself on a self-guided lighthouse tour. 5. TEST YOUR SKILLS AT GREAT OCEAN ROAD MINI GOLF – The custom-built course offers unique obstacles that celebrate the local area and are fun for the whole family.
WAKE UP TO
1. CHECK OUT LAST ONE INN – This old ‘70s beach shack in Anglesea has been transformed into a relaxed space for food, drinks, music and friends. Oh, and did we mention that it absolutely oozes charisma? We’re talking cool DJ sets, indie artists and even BYO vinyl nights if you’ve got a stash of records at home.
2. TACKLE THE ANGLESEA BIKE PARK – Anglesea has bushland trails to explore around Eumeralla, plus Australia’s first professionally designed Mountain Cross track. At Anglesea Bike Park you’ll find tracks for all skill levels including a dirt jump area and skills course that the kids will have an absolute ball on. 3. GO FOR A PADDLE ON THE ANGLESEA RIVER – Find some serenity paddling upstream on the Anglesea River at your own pace, meandering past parklands and listening for native bird sounds. If you’re feeling more daring, venture out into the open waters of the ocean. There’ll be side splitting laughs as you battle to catch a wave without tipping sideways. 4. UNWIND AT LUX SPA & WELLNESS – When what you need is a sanctuary from the stresses of everyday life, Lux Spa & Wellness is a place to escape. They have both wellness retreats and day spa treatments to suit whatever nourishing you need. 5. DINE AT THE COAST – This modern Australian fusion restaurant is tucked away by the Anglesea River and inside you’ll find local flavours aplenty. The fine dining menu is designed to be shared and through it you can take a trip along the Great Ocean Road without leaving the restaurant.
WAKE UP TO
1. ENJOY TAPAS AT MOVIDA – The seaside MoVida does everything its Melbourne sister does but with a beachy twist. The chefs enhance the Spanish flavours on the menu with fresh southwest Victorian produce, but you’ll still get all the moorish tapas and share plates. 2. HIKE THE QUEENS PARK LOOKOUT LOOP – Hike through dense bushland to Teddy’s Lookout for panoramic views of the Great Ocean Road, or make your way into the Otways and follow the iconic Waterfall Trail. 3. COME FOR THE LORNE SCULPTURE BIENNALE – Held every second year on the sandy shores of Lorne, 2021 will be one of the lucky years, hosting the vibrant festival starting this October. 4. TACKLE AUSTRALIA’S MOST ELECTRIFYING ZIPLINE AT LIVE WIRE PARK – This elevated experience is set in the towering treetops of the Otways and is not for the faint hearted. 5. TRY A SMOOTHIE AT HAH LORNEBEACH – Try one of their super smoothies before giving stand up paddle boarding a go. Café owner Leon can kit you out with all the gear including a wetsuit and SUP, and may even give you a few pointers to get you started.
1. TREAT YOUR TASTEBUDS WITH A DINNER AT MOONAH – A multi-course affair that meanders through flavours evocative of the local area, spanning three hours. All the fruit and veggies come from chef Tobin Kent’s biodynamic kitchen garden and the rest of the menu is foraged and sourced locally to create an ever-changing menu. 2. GRAB YOUR MAP AND HIT THE OTWAY HARVEST TRAIL – Offering farmgate produce, award winning wineries, delicious food and artisan products.
WAKE UP TO
SURF COAST HINTERLAND
3. SOAK IN THE HISTORY AT WINCHELSEA – Wander the Winchelsea Heritage Walk past grand old buildings, a steam train and gorgeous antique stores. 4. VISIT THE BARWON PARK MANSION – Built in 1871 the lavish bluestone Barwon Park Mansion is a must see in Winchelsea. Tours operate Wednesday and Sunday 11am -3pm. 5. GRAB A TASTING AT DINNY GOONAN WINES – Sit on the deck and soak up the ambiance amongst the vineyard and surrounding birdlife while you taste some of their exceptional wines, with their Riesling, Shiraz, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir a must try.
Australia’s Finest Since 1923 98 Moorabool Street, Geelong WWW.CHARLESROSE.COM.AU
s s e l s s e r t S THE
With 20% off the entire range, you’ll be more comfortable than ever with a quality Stressless recliner chair or sofa, designed and manufactured in Norway. Available for a limited time only at Berkowitz – the furniture family.
GEELONG 480-492 Moorabool Street, Geelong (03) 5222 5667 Celebrating 50 years Made in Norway
A F U R N I T U R E FA M I LY
Bosk Engineered Flooring in Ryrie
OZ DESIGN FURNITURE GEELONG A U S T R A L I A N O W N E D & O P E R AT E D
GEELONG ARTS CENTRE
WINTER ESCAPE SEASON 2021 LOVE SONG DEDICATIONS (WITHOUT RICHARD MERCER)
4 - 5 JUN
30 SOMETHING DINNER AND A SHOW 28 AUG
A TEN TONNE SPARROW
CARMEN 8 JUN
THE HUNTER. THE HUNTED. 1 - 2 SEP
BY OPERA AUSTRALIA
ISAIAH ‘SPIRIT’ TOUR 2 JUL YOYO MUSIC & HIT PRODUCTIONS
ROVERS 15 - 17 JUL BELLOO CREATIVE & CRITICAL STAGES TOURING
PRIMA FACIE 18 - 21 AUG
THE SONGS OF EVA CASSIDY 11 SEP SILVIE
ARCHIE ROACH TELL ME WHY 30 OCT
BOOK YOUR WINTER ESCAPE NOW!
CALL 1300 251 200 IN PERSON 81 RYRIE ST, 10AM-3PM MON-FRI ONLINE GEELONGARTSCENTRE.ORG.AU
PROUDLY SUPPORTED BY MAJOR ARTISTIC PARTNER DEAKIN UNIVERSITY
hightonglassco.com.au | 0407 430 027 |
Transform your concrete into beautiful flooring with Prestige Grinding Specialising in polished concrete and with almost 20 year’s industry experience Prestige Grinding uses the best-in-class grinding and polishing equipment to achieve the showcase polished floor you’re after. Servicing residential, commercial and industrial sectors in the Geelong and Surf Coast region.
1300 799 069
w. prestigegrinding.com.au | e. email@example.com prestige_grinding
THE ONE TO RENT AND SELL WITH.
‘The property sold well above the reserve.’
Contact our award-winning team for sales and leasing on the Surf Coast.
Seaview Gallery contemporary - traditional - glass - sculpture w. seaviewgallery.com.au | e. firstname.lastname@example.org
86 Hesse Street, Queenscliff, 3225 p: 03 5258 3645 m: 0428 998 863 Closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays
Open Hours: 10:30am-5.00pm 7 days
LUXE HIDE AND LEATHER ACCESSORIES
Each piece is an original, one off showcasing the raw beauty and unique detail of the natural hide and leather. 197 Ryrie Street, Geelong Belle Couleur bellecouleur_accessories www.bellecouleur.com.au
MIZY’S SWEET BOUTIQUE IS PLACED TO DESIGN THE MOST SUITABLE CAKE FOR EVERY EVENT.
W EDDI NG | BI RT H DAY & C ELEBRAT ION | C ORP ORAT E
Having started Mizy’s Sweet Boutique in 2015 Patisserie Chef Mizuho Tanaka Rossa is very passionate about baking and decorating and all of her creations are made from scratch using quality and local ingredients. It’s not just a cakes for all occasions business, Mizuho can make personal patisserie items for your small or large event or special occasion such as cookies, eclairs, macaroons, slices, Bombonieres and petit fours. Wedding cake tasting samples are available for appointments. From humble beginnings to a busy little kitchen, Mizy’s Sweet Boutique excels due to Mizuho’s attention to detail, professionalism and friendly service.
FUNERALS YOUR WAY A UNIQUE, COASTAL VENUE NOW OPEN FOR YOU ON THE SURF COAST
“We’ve created a space that matches the passion we all have for sun, sea and sand. This means people are far more likely to feel relaxed and comfortable in connecting and sharing stories, which is of course key to the grieving process,” BRIOHNY FITZGERALD – SENIOR OPERATIONS MANAGER, TORQUAY LOCAL
03 5248 3444 45 Geelong Road, Torquay
THE BELLARINE PENINSULA
THE SURF COAST
Geelong’s Exclusive Stockists of Paul Taylor Glasses
PREMIUM HYDRONIC HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING SPECIALISTS IN GEELONG, SURF COAST AND THE BELLARINE
With over 20 years of industry experience, Heating Plus are Geelong’s heating and cooling experts. A local family run business, we are passionate about hydronic heating systems as we believe there’s no better, cost efficient and comfortable form of heating.
0413 458 347
the path unknown
Discover what Ballarat is made of. From natural wonders and flavour fusions, to retail heavens and cultural treasure troves, there’s no limit to the riches you’ll unearth in one of Victoria’s most enchanting destinations. After all, the best weekends aren’t made of moments spent at home; they’re made of Ballarat. Start planning an adventure to revel in at madeofballarat.com
ary Compliment ! e barista coffe
Display Home Reveal Saturday 19 June, 10am - 1pm View our beautiful brand new seaside display homes for a price that will cause waves of happiness. 110 Thornton Avenue, St Leonards VIC 3223 lifestylestleonards.com.au
ADVANCING AUSTRIAN FARE
VANILLA ICE CREAM WITH PUMPKIN SEED OIL This makes a good accompaniment to Austrian poppyseed cake or apricot or plum dumplings. Drizzle a tablespoon of pumpkin seed oil over vanilla ice cream and sprinkle with roasted chopped pumpkin seeds.
86 geelong + surf coast living winter 2021
winter 2021 geelong + surf coast living 87
ICONIC INTERIOR STYLE WITH AN ALL AUSTRALIAN MADE CURATED COLLECTION OF MODERN ART AND HOMEWARES
MIRRORS www.iconiko.com.au | email@example.com
1300 58 58 23 1/118 Pakington Street, Geelong West, VIC, 3218 @iconiko
Block out the world for a bit
Whether you need to block out the light, filter the sun or gain a little more privacy, we’ve got you covered. Australian made roller blinds available in an extensive range of fabrics and colours to suit your home and lifestyle. To learn more visit Brax HQ - our combined showroom and manufacturing facilities in South Geelong.
Visit our new showroom: 100 Balliang St, South Geelong
SPECIALISING IN COLOUR, DESIGN & D E C O R AT I O N
0408 556 847 firstname.lastname@example.org www.designinside.com.au 11 Pakington St, Geelong West
NO C E A W NG OP R O V EN E
BACK PAIN? NOW’S THE TIME FOR KIESER Our physios are dedicated to helping people to keep doing the activities that they love. Don’t let pain get in the way, stay active and strong with Kieser.
% PHYSIO 50OFF AN INITIAL
To get started on your Kieser journey, visit www.kieser.com.au to book your initial assessment. *Only available to new Kieser clients. Offer only available on an initial physiotherapy assessment. 1/2 price initial physiotherapy assessment will be $54.50 (RRP $109) in VIC and QLD and $57 (RRP $114) in NSW.
Kieser Geelong Tel: 03 5221 7555 Kieser Torquay Tel: 03 4216 6900
Kieser Ocean Grove Tel: 03 4212 1110
Plastic Surgery, Skin and Laser Clinics
The Geelong C o l l ege
A leading Victorian day and boarding school from Early Learning to VCE. Discover The Geelong College difference at our Open Days Wednesday 16 June and 28 July. Register or explore more dates or small group tours at www.geelongcollege.vic.edu.au or phone (03) 5226 3156.
COURAGE 160 YEARS STRONG