Page 1

In Memoriam

A supplement to The Daily World


The Daily World

Saturday, October 19, 2019


On the cover: WORCESTER, MASS. — A loose moose running around St. John’s Cemetery on Sept. 30 was eventually captured by authorities and tranquilized, according to the Telegram & Gazette, the local newspaper. Authorities transported the bull moose to a state park for release, according to Worcester police Lt. Sean Murtha. Marion Larson of Mass Wildlife said that by early afternoon the moose, about 2 to 3 years old, was in its new location and up and walking around. At mid-morning, the moose led Worcester police and the state’s Large Animal Response Team made up of Environmental Police and biologists from the state Division of Fisheries and Wildlife on a lively chase, dodging gravestones before it was shot with tranquilizer darts. It took a dozen people to lift the sleeping moose onto an Environmental Police truck for transport to a new home. The moose was one of two Worcester police were tracking in the city Monday morning. Seeing moose in Central Massachusetts this time of year is not unusual. Moose mating season is in September and October and motorists should be on the lookout for them, according to Mass Wildlife. Photo by Christine Peterson 360.532.4000 USPS 146900 Printed & Published by Business Fax 360.533.1328 Sound Publishing, Inc Newsroom Fax 360.533.6039 Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm 315 S. Michigan St. Published Tuesday, Wednesday, PO Box 269 Thursday, and Saturday Aberdeen, Wa 98520


Circulation Manager

Mike Hrycko 360.537.3945

Doug Ames 360.537.3910

NEWSROOM Editor Doug Barker 360.537.3923

Annual Published Rates

Subscription will continue until canceled by the subscriber. Other restrictions may apply.

4 days weekly: Tues, Wed, Thur, Sat $162.00 a year

The Daily World



Grant G. Edwards

Elone Weed

Page 9

Page 3

Kenneth L Blackwell Sr. Connie Johnson Kenneth Dale Grimm

Donald Eugene Hiltner Margaret Lucille Murray Jack Eugene Beeson

Page 4 Eleanor Jane Cheatle Donald E. Howell Sr.

Page 5 Pamela J Hopkins Leland Robert Porter Bernice Hulda Fate Dorothy Hulbert

Page 6 Sonia Rose Friehauf Robert H Shay Sr. Donald Rae Sellers Elizabeth Nicole Schisler

Page 10 John P. Stricevich Vera Vella Nicholson Patricia Mae Snodgrass

Page 11 Clifford Clinton Corwin Jr. William Lee Williams Jr. James A Sutherby

Page 12 Ernest “Dale” Beerbower Pauline Vivian Laufer Bryant

Page 13

Page 7

Shirley Maxine Hansen Akers Kevin Ray Rimpila Floyd L. Cornwell

Eugene Forrest Stensager Wes Brosman

Notable Deaths in September

Page 8

T. Boone Pickens — Page 14 Ric Ocasek — Page 15 Cokie Roberts — Page 16 Eddie Money — Page 16

Marilyn R. Coombs Edward Karl Holloway


Mon. - Fri. 8 AM – 5 PM


Page 2

All contents ©2019 The Daily World

To place a loved one’s Memoriam or Obituary please call


Elone Weed Elone Weed, 91 years old and a longtime Ocean Shores resident, passed away on Tuesday Sept. 17, 2019, in Tacoma, Washington. Born Elone Urana Humphrey on March 24, 1928, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Squire Ernest Humphrey and Tillie (Johnson) Humphrey where she spent her childhood with her two brothers and one sister who preceded her in death. Elone met her future husband Walter in 1942 and corresponded with him after his move to Seattle until 1951, when they married and settled down on a houseboat on Lake Washington where they lived for two years. Walter and Elone were married for 68 years. In 1954, they moved to Des Moines, Washington, raising their four children — Cindy, Nancy, Mike and Bill. In 1962, the family moved to Dockton, Washington, on Maury Island, until 1975, then to their mobile home near the town of Vashon, where they lived until 1991, when Walter and Elone moved to Ocean Shores, Washington. In 1980, Walter was sent to work in Germany by the Boeing Co. where he and Elone lived for two years. They traveled extensively and visited 39 countries where they made many friends who they corresponded with over the years. When Walter retired in 1991, they built their home in Ocean Shores. Elone was active in the Ocean Shores food bank in the early years and Crime Watch as well as volunteering at the OSIC (Ocean Shores Interpretive Center) where she greeted tourists and made decorative bookmarks for the bookstore. Elone was moved to Hearthside Manor, a memory care facility, in 2016, where she was given excellent care for her remaining years. She is preceded in death by her parents, Squire and Tillie, her brothers, Robert and Russell, and her sister Beverly. She is survived by her husband, Walter, of Ocean Shores, daughters, Cindy Grenville (husband Quinten) and Nancy Weed, sons, Mike Weed (wife Terri) and Bill Weed (wife Lori ) all of Vashon Island, Washington as well as five grandchildren and their spouses and seven great- grandchildren. A memorial service was held Saturday, Oct. 5, at 1 p.m. at the Galilean Lutheran church in Ocean Shores, Washington. Donations can be made to Hearthside Manor, 3625 Drexler Dr, University Place, WA. 98466

The Daily World

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Donald Eugene Hiltner

Margaret Lucille Murray

Jack Eugene Beeson

Donald Eugene Hiltner, age 67 and lifetime resident of Hoquiam, joined his beloved mother and father in heaven on Aug. 25, 2019. Don was born on June 6, 1952, in Aberdeen to Donald Maurice and Bessie Jean (Welever) Hiltner. He was raised in Hoquiam, graduated from Hoquiam High School in 1971 and received an AA degree from Grays Harbor College. Don proudly served three years in the U.S. Navy. As a Grizzly through and through, he returned home to start his lifelong employment as a district maintenance supervisor for the Hoquiam School District retiring in 2017, after 42 years. Don enjoyed woodworking, building model airplanes, bowling and reading. His life revolved around family —he never missed a Saturday night card game with them. Most of all, he loved spending time with his grandchildren. Don and his dog Duke would often go for rides in his truck and walks at Bowerman Airfield. After retiring Don and his wife, Barbara Faye, traveled visiting family and enjoying life. Surviving relatives include: his wife of 45 years Barbara Faye (Stutesman), daughters, Maylena (Brandon) Rowe of Lakewood and Casie Hiltner of Hoquiam, sons, Donald (Erica) Hiltner Jr. of Puyallup, Zachary Hiltner of Hoquiam and James Johnson of Winter Garden, Florida, grandchildren Amya Christensen, James Vaughn, Kail Vaughn, Garrick Hiltner, Braylon Rowe, Sofia Rowe and Robinson Rowe and sisters, Sharon Quirin of Aberdeen, Linda Vines of Hoquiam and Patti Howard of Craig, Alaska. Sisters, Barbara Burkett and Carol Lynn Neathery preceded his death. Don also has numerous nieces and nephews that he loved greatly. The family held a viewing on Sept. 3 and Sept. 4 at Coleman Mortuary in Hoquiam. An interment took place at Hoquiam’s Sunset Memorial Park on Wednesday, Sept. 4, and was open to all. A celebration of Don’s life was held Sept. 21 in the Hoquiam High School gym followed by a reception in the cafeteria. In lieu of flowers, the family asks you make a donation to the American Heart Association. Funeral arrangements are by Coleman Mortuary in Hoquiam. Please take a few moments of your time to record your comments for the family by signing the on-line register at

Margaret Lucille Murray passed away on Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2019, with family by her side. She was 81. Margaret was born on Sept. 26, 1937, to Roy Clifford and Mildred Lucille (Gunderson) Chaney in Moscow, Idaho. They later relocated to Everett, Washington, where Margaret graduated from high school with the class of 1955. In 1956, Margaret moved to the Grays Harbor area and married Bobby Joe Murray on March 16, 1956. Bobby Joe and Margaret had five children together and spent many years camping and enjoying their growing family side by side. Margaret was employed by Pacific Northwest Bell until she became the first licensed daycare provider in Grays Harbor in 1973. After 26 years, Margaret retired and was able to continue her hobbies of crocheting, quilting and camping full time. Even in retirement Margaret continued to stay active in the Grays Harbor community. She was a member of the Red Hat Society, Golden Agers, Fraternal Order of the Elma Eagles and her local V.F.W, where she served as president, past president and attended national conventions throughout her membership. She also joined various pinochle, bunko, camping and birthday clubs. Margaret is survived by her husband, Bobby Joe Murray Sr., of Cosmopolis; sons Bobby Joe (Tanya) Murray Jr. of Montesano, Richard (Sarah) Murray of Aberdeen and Lawrence Murray of Aberdeen, daughters, Cynthia (Fred) Pellegrini of Hoquiam and Barbara (Dennis) Dyer of Aberdeen, sisters Donna Rae Tonn of Montesano and Betty Raffleson of Cosmopolis; 17 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her parents and brother, Roy Clifford Chaney Jr. Margaret was inurned at Forest Hill Cemetery in Cosmopolis. At her request no formal services will be held. Memorials in Margaret’s name may be made to the Cosmopolis Fire Department, 19 F Street, Cosmopolis, WA 98537 or your local V.F.W. post. There was an informal celebration of life at the Aberdeen VFW on Sept. 22. To share memories or express condolences please visit Harrison Family Mortuary of Aberdeen is honored to assist the family.

Jack Eugene Beeson, 88, died peacefully on Sept. 1, 2019, at Community Hospice Care Center in Longview, Washington. He was born to Clayton and Marion (Lovelace) Beeson on a farm up Coal Creek just outside Chehalis, Washington, on May 6, 1931. He now returns to where his heart remained to lie beside his wife, Diana, overlooking the verdant Willapa River valley in Menlo, Washington. Jack graduated from Weatherwax High School in Aberdeen, Washington in 1948. He enlisted in the Navy soon after in Nov. 1948, and saw active duty in the Korean War on the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Shangri La as a gunners mate. He married Marjorie Kopecky in Boston prior to discharge from the Navy in 1953. Jack’s work in the ’50s and ’60s included skippering fishing charter boats out of Westport, Washington and working as a log boomman and timber scaler. Jack married Diana Richards in Naselle, Washington in Oct. 1972. Around about this time, Jack pursued his talent as a log scaler and became a career timber scaler with Washington State based in Olympia until retiring after 25 years of service in 1997. He and Diana moved to the Raymond, Washington area in retirement to pursue their shared love of fishing, hunting and razor clam digging. Jack was a outdoorsman at heart and always looked forward to his times out of doors. Jack is survived by three sons; Dale Beeson of Bishop, California, Greg Beeson and Steve Richards of Raymond, Washington; two daughters: Linda Beeson and Lisa Lindsay of Raymond, Washington. Jack is also survived by nine grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. He is preceded in death by his brother, Charles Beeson and wife Diana Beeson. A graveside remembrance for family and friends was held Friday, Sept. 6, 2019, at Fern Hill Cemetery in Menlo, Washington. Memorials may be made to the American Legion, 221 Duryea St, Raymond, WA 98577. Arrangements are in care of Stoller’s Mortuary in Raymond, Washington. You may visit to leave condolences for the family.



Saturday, October 19, 2019

The Daily World

Eleanor Jane Cheatle Eleanor Jane Cheatle, 81, of Hoquiam, Washington, passed away Thursday, Sept. 5, 2019, at Grays Harbor Community Hospital after a courageous battle with lymphoma cancer. She passed peacefully with her family by her side. She was born to Mac and Dora Scanlan, on June 1, 1938, in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. She married James Cheatle in 1959 and they lived together in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, for eight years before relocating to Hoquiam. Ellie is survived by three children; Betsy (Bob) McElliott, Todd (Tamar) Cheatle and Kathy (Todd) Gwinn, all of Hoquiam. She is also survived by eight grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. Ellie was predecesed by her loving husband in 1985. She had one brother, Leland Scanlan, of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin and two sisters who preceded her in death, Verna Hager and Natalie Johnson. Ellie was a devoted mother, mother-in-law and grandmother. Spending time with her family is what she treasured most. One of her favorite sayings was, “We may not be rich in money, but we are rich in family”. Along with loving her family deeply, she spent her free time looking for a bargain. Whether she was perusing garage sales or at the local thrift shop, she always loved finding a good deal, especially when she could give the item to one of her children or grandchildren. She also enjoyed watching movies and reading about celebrity gossip. She made a lasting impact on those she met with her kindness and amazing sense of humor. She was never afraid to throw her head back and laugh! She will be greatly missed. The family insists that people make donations in support of a charity close to their heart in lieu of sending flowers. A service and celebration of life was held on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, at the Immanuel Baptist Church in Hoquiam with Pastor W. Kent Gravley officiating. Arrangements are by the Coleman Mortuary in Hoquiam. Please take a few moments of your time to record your comments for the family by signing the on-line register at

Donald E. Howell Sr. Donald E. Howell Sr., age 91, passed into the presence of his Lord and Savior on Aug. 29, 2019. He passed with his son Paul, at his side, holding his hand. Don was born Sept. 13, 1927, to Orlando E. and Frances (Jennings) Howell. He grew up on his families’ farms in Marysville, Washington. Each farm was pioneered by both parents’ side of the family. One of the farms is now Jennings Park in Marysville. In 1950, Don entered the Army, serving in Korea and Japan during the Korean War. Sgt. Howell was honorably discharged in 1952 and continued to serve in the Army Reserves then the National Guard. He met Leona A. Leonard while doing graduate work at Seattle Pacific University. Don and Leona were married on Aug. 14, 1953, in the First United Methodist Church in Marysville. Don directed and sang in church choirs in the Spokane area. One such traveling choir was the Whitworth A Capella Choir. He had a beautiful baritone singing voice. During this time, he graduated from Whitworth University with a bachelor degree. He taught music, drama and mathematics in Deer Park and Raymond School Districts. Don was able to play any instrument proficiently, whether it was strings, brass, reeds or percussion. Don and Leona moved to Aberdeen, Washington in 1955, where he taught mathematics at Hopkins Jr. High, Weatherwax Sr. High School and Grays Harbor College. He earned a masters degree from Portland State College in 1966. Don retired from teaching in 1985. He remembered each of his students by name and the year they were in his classes. During his teaching career, he served in the Army Reserves and Washington National Guard. After going up through the ranks, he retired from the National Guard with the rank of Lt. Colonel in 1987. Don served as a councilman for the 5th Ward on the Aberdeen City Council in the 1970s and was a member of the Aberdeen Planning Commission. He was very active member of the United Commercial Travelers and served as Grand Counselor in 1986. He served as a commander of and was a life member of the American Legion. Don was a member of the Aberdeen Elks, the Washington Education Association and National Education Association. After retiring from teaching in 1985, Don went on

a Walk to Emmaus where he was immersed in a closer walk with our Lord. Donald and Leona entered the ministry serving churches in the Methodist conference for the next 12 years. In 1985, Don and Leona’s unpaid ministry led them to Eastern Washington where they served as pastors of the Pateros and Bridgeport Methodist Churches for three months. Don and Leona were authorized by the Bishop of the Methodist General Conference to conduct regular church services, officiate at weddings, funerals and baptisms. Don and Leona traveled great distances to visit people in the hospital and those that were home-bound. Parishioners often commented that Don preached like Billy Graham and sang like George Beverly Shea. Because the people of the churches would not let them go, three months turned into eight years continuing their ministry. They retired from lay ministry in 1997. They travelled to numerous states, villages in South America and Canada, and made many road trips. When they retired from ministry, their car had over 400,000 miles on it from ministry and from touring the United States. On May 21, 2016, Don suffered a stroke that prevented him from being mobile. For the next three years, he remained at home surrounded by his loving family. Don is survived by Leona, his loving wife of 66 years, five children: Orlando G. Howell (Julia), Dona Carriker (Gene), Donald Jr. (Lisa), Paul, Carlene Kuhn (Gene). He is also survived by 11 grandchildren and five greatgrandchildren, a sister Ruth Jobes, a brother-in-law Thom Leonard, numerous nephews and nieces. His parents, his sister Lucille and son-in-law Gene Kuhn preceded him in death. The family thanks Don’s wife Leona, all the amazing caregivers, staff at Harbors Home Health & Hospice, daughter-in-law Lisa Howell, daughter Dona Carriker, grandson Evan Kuhn, and primary caregiver Orlando Howell for the quality care they provided during the past three years giving Don a good quality of life and to be at home surrounded by his loving family. A memorial service was held at Fern Hill Funeral Home chapel on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019. A private interment occured at an earlier date. Arrangements are entrusted to Twibell’s Fern Hill Funeral Home in Aberdeen, Washington.

Obituaries and Death Notices may also be viewed online at

The Daily World

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Pamela J Hopkins

Leland Robert Porter

Bernice Hulda Fate

After an extended illness, Pamela J Hopkins passed on Sept. 1, 2019. She was born on Oct. 30, 1946, in Elma, Washington to Don and Sophia (Ellingson) LaShance. Pam spent most of her childhood on the Harbor and graduated from Hoquiam High School. She married Michael Hopkins on June 12, 1965 and had three sons, Don, Mikey, and Robi. She has one granddaughter, Ashley and two great-granddaughters, Sophia and Anayah. Pam leaves behind Don, Robi, her granddaughters, brother Richard (Donna) LaShance, sister Penny (Scott) Parks and brother-in-law Steve Hopkins. Pam has many nephews and nieces who love her dearly. Pam is preceded in death by both her parents, her sister Patty McDonald, her sister-in-law JoAnn LaShance and her son Mikey. Pam enjoyed a 30 plus-year career at Grays Harbor Community Hospital as a health unit clerk. It was important to her to be compassionate and understanding, knowing she was one of the first individuals that patients and families would interact with. To this day, staff remember her smile and kindness. Pam loved spending time with Mike, her sons and later, her granddaughters. Her favorite pastime was camping and traveling with Mike. She also enjoyed gardening, crafting, sewing and reading. Most important to Pam were her family and the Lord. We have wonderful memories of her sense of humor and times shared. She will be truly missed by her family and many friends. The family would like to express their gratitude for the compassionate care given by those at Grays Harbor Community Hospital, especially Jayme, John and Wayne from the Intensive Care Unit. The family requestied that friends and prior co-workers join them for a celebration of life on Sept. 14, 2019, at the Hoquiam Elks Lodge, 624 K Street. A private service was held for the family. Direction is by the Coleman Mortuary, 422 5th Street in Hoquiam. Please take a few moments of your time to record your comments for the family by signing the on-line register at

Leland Robert Porter, age 79, of Elma, Washington, died Tuesday, July 30, 2019, surrounded by his family after battling pancreatic cancer. Lee is lovingly remembered and survived by his wife of 57 years, Patsy, of Elma, Washington, Brent (Brenda) Porter of Anchorage, Alaska, Rachelle Porter-Armstrong of Snoqualmie, Washington, and Rebecca (Chris) Porter-Wightman of Anchorage, Alaska; six grandchildren, Kaya and Jaydin Porter, Isyss and Chase Armstrong, and Vaughn and Vincent Wightman, and his sister Gayle (Bill) Helmkamp of Hillsboro, Oregon, along with many loving relatives and dear friends. He was preceded in death by his parents, Kenneth and Dorothy Porter. Leland was born on March 6, 1940, in Glenns Ferry, Idaho, and graduated from Glenns Ferry High School in 1958. After attending business classes in Boise, Idaho, he enlisted in the Army where he completed basic training in Fort Ord, California, further training in Fort Huachuca, Arizona, and two and a half years of service in Germany and Massachusetts. Leland and Patsy moved to Kennewick, Washington, in 1965, where Lee worked in the tire and automotive business and eventually managed the J.C. Penny automotive center, followed by the electronics center. During this time, he also studied business at Columbia Basic Community College. In 1987, Lee became a small business owner (Porter’s Video City, Inc.) in Kennewick, which he went on to expand to West Richland, Washington. Lee was active in the community including the Pasco Junior Chamber of Commerce, local Toastmasters and the Downtown Kennewick Merchant’s Association. For several years he supported the annual PBS station fund drive and auction and the United Way. In 2006, he and Patsy moved to Elma, Washington. They became Master Gardeners and together operated a seasonal greenhouse and flower business (Friendly Flowers) for nine years with Patsy’s sister and brother-in-law, Mickey and Donna Miller. They were well-known for their beautiful hanging baskets that were available every year by Mother’s Day. Leland and Patsy both retired in 2015. Throughout life, Lee worked on developing his woodworking techniques and made a variety of items in his shop. He was an outdoor enthusiast who enjoyed hunting as well as hiking and backpacking with family and friends throughout the Cascade Range. He especially loved Mount Rainier and never missed an opportunity to drive through the national park. He was also fond of taking drives along the beach. As an avid gardener, Lee enjoyed working in his yard. In particular, he loved watching his flowers grow and attracting hummingbirds. Leland was a loving, loyal and cheerful family member and friend. A graveside memorial service was held in his honor at Glenn Rest Cemetery in Glenns Ferry, Idaho, on Sept. 28, 2019, followed by a celebration of life at Crossings Winery.

Bernice Hulda Fate, 84, died in her sleep with her family present. She was raised in New Jersey and had lived in California, Washington and Montana before moving back to Washington. She married Walter Donald Fate. They were married 67 years. She was a homemaker and volunteered at various churches. She enjoyed doing crafts, cooking and gardening. She is survived by husband Walter, sons: Brian David Fate, Gary Allen Fate, Kevin Bruce Fate and Darren Jay Fate, daughters, Stephanie Simian and Penny Ballenger, a brother, Julius Webber and sisters, Beverly Pleskun, Marilyn Webber and Denise Hevly. She had 14 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. A son, Walter Donald Fate II, preceded her in death. A memorial was held at Faith Community Church, 240 Canal Dr. SE, Ocean Shores, Washington, on Saturday, Sept. 28.

Dorothy Hulbert Dorothy Hulbert of Lacey, Washington, died Aug. 6, 2019, at the age of 95. Dorothy grew up in Aberdeen and in the 1960s to the ’80s was known by many in the community as Aberdeen’s school nurse. Dorothy taught her five children the highlights of the Grays Harbor lifestyle that included clamming, blackberry picking, beach trips and swimming at Lake Quinault. She was an avid gardener and great crossword puzzle solver. Her family and friends honored her memory with a celebration of life at the Lacey Community Center in Lacey, Washington, on Monday, Sept. 9.



Saturday, October 19, 2019

The Daily World

Sonia Rose “Sunny” Friehauf Sonia Rose “Sunny” Friehauf, 81, Central Park resident and former wardrobe director for the Aberdeen Driftwood Players, died Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2019, at her home. Sonia was born on July 23, 1938, in Sunderland, England, to Stanley and Elizabeth Ann (Taylor) Adamson. She was educated in England and in 1957 immigrated to the United States. On Jan. 1, 1983, Sonia married Gary Friehauf in Las Vegas, Nevada. Gary nicknamed her Sunny while they lived in Colorado. He lives at the family home. Sonia had worked in the insurance industry for 35 years in both Colorado and for Yearout Insurance Brokers in Aberdeen. Gary and she moved to Aberdeen in February 1987, when they bought Captains Cove in Aberdeen. She enjoyed bowling and participated in the league tournaments in Colorado and in league play in Montesano. She enjoyed dancing with Arlene Hoiland’s group and line dancing in Colorado. She loved working with the Driftwood Players and was their

wardrobe director for 20 years. She was a member of Garden City Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star in Greely, Colorado. Sonia is survived by her husband of 36 years, Gary Friehauf, of Aberdeen; three sons, Chris (Sharon) Hutt, Leigh Hutt and David (Roxanne) Hutt, all of Sterling, Colorado, a daughter, Brenda, of Aberdeen, step-son, Bryan (Tracy) Friehauf, of Brighton, Colorado and step-daughter, Hileigh (William) Murphy of Waynesville, Ohio, a brother, Michael Adamson, of San Jose, California and a sister, Lynn (Brian) Adrian, of Las Vegas, Nevada, 10 grandchildren and nine great- grandchildren. Per her request, there will be no services. The family would like to thank the personnel of the Central Park Fire Station, Grays Harbor Fire District #2 and the staff of Harbor Home Health and Hospice. Cremation arrangements are entrusted to Twibell’s Fern Hill Funeral Home in Aberdeen, Washington.

Donald Rae Sellers Donald Rae Sellers passed away on June 2, 2019. Born in Onalaska, Washington on Aug. 18, 1926, to Homer E. and Gladys B. Sellers, he spent all his life living, working and enjoying his family in Grays Harbor. Donald met his wife Gladys at the Harborena Skating Rink in Hoquiam. They were soon married and spent the next 69 years together prior to her passing last April. After spending some time in the Navy in San Diego, Donald was back in Aberdeen and started working at Grays Harbor Paper where he retired from at 65. Donald was a devoted husband, father and friend to all who knew him. He was always willing to take his grandsons

hunting and fishing so they could enjoy outdoor hobbies. In his retired years he enjoyed traveling in his motor home with his wife as members of the Coachman group. He was the type of man who expected very little for himself, yet would do almost anything to help others. He was a very kind, happy- go -lucky man. He was a great example of how a person should treat others. His brother Vernon Sellers and sister Diane Schwartz preceded Donald in death. Donald had both a daughter Judy (Larry) Pickering and a son Jeff (Beckey) Sellers and five grandchildren. Donald was laid to rest at Sunset Memorial Park in Hoquiam. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Robert H Shay Sr. Robert H Shay Sr., 93, of Montesano passed away at his home on Sept. 2, 2019, with his family at his side. He was born in Onalaska, Washington Jan. 14, 1926, to Edward and Inez Shay. He is preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Frieda, a son, Robert Jr. and a daughter Kathy Mazzei, He is also preceded by three brothers, Harry, Chet and Don and three sisters, Jeannie, Gloria, and Patty. Robert also had a special friend, Aleta Simmons, who preceded him in death. He is survived by his daughters: Laura (Ron) Warwick, Aberdeen, Glenda Larson, Montesano, Alison (Pete) Silvia, St. Maries, Idaho, and Danita (Leon) Rixen, Harvey, North

Dakota. Robert has 13 grandchildren, 19 great-grandchildren, and three greatgreat- grandchildren. Robert worked as a truck driver and retired from Weyerhaeuser in 1988. He enjoyed working in his yard and going for drives. He also enjoyed going to the casino, car shows and car races. He was a giving man with a welcome and smile for everyone. He will be greatly missed. A viewing was at Harrison Family Mortuary, 311 West Market St., Aberdeen. Graveside service was Friday, Sept. 6, 2019, at Wynooche Cemetery in Montesano, Washington. Also online www.harrisonfamily­

Elizabeth Nicole Schisler Elizabeth Nicole Schisler, 28, lifetime Aberdeen resident, died Aug. 19, 2019, at Providence St. Peter Hospital in Olympia, Washington. Elizabeth was born on Feb. 17, 1991, in Aberdeen to Harold Schisler and Cassandra Chesterman. She attended Weatherwax High School, Harbor High and Grays Harbor College. She was working for the Aberdeen School District as a para educator and loved working with the kids. She loved being with her kids, and playing games and cards with her sisters at her home. She is survived by her sons; Jacob Matson of Hoquiam and Logan

Schisler of Aberdeen and her daughter, Andrea Matson of Hoquiam, parents, Cassandra Chesterman of Aberdeen and Harold Schisler and his fiancé Catherine of Centralia, Washington, her twin brother, Brett Schisler of Aberdeen and brother Justice Schisler of Elma, a sister Emily Chesterman of Aberdeen and step-sisters, Brianna and Maryah. Elizabeth was preceded in death by a daughter,

Kylee, in 2017. There was a private gathering of friends and family on Sept. 15 at, 2 p.m. at the Aberdeen VFW Cremation arrangements are entrusted to Twibell’s Fern Hill Funeral Home in Aberdeen, Washington.

The Daily World

Eugene Forrest Stensager Eugene Forrest Stensager died in his Central Park home on Sept. 2, 2019. He was 96 years old. Eugene was born to Hazel and Oscar Stensager on July 21, 1923, in Poulsbo, Washington. When Eugene was 5, he and his family moved to Hoquiam. His mother saw his interest in music very early in life and arranged for him to travel every month to take oboe lessons from a leading musician in the Seattle Symphony. This investment paid off when he was selected to play the oboe in the National Youth Symphony in 1940. He was a phenomenal oboe player. He graduated from Hoquiam High school in 1941 and enrolled as a music major at Washington State College (WSU). When the war broke out at the end of 1941, he enlisted in the Army. He was about to be deployed to the South Pacific in the infantry when he was asked to join the Army Air Corps band in Spokane. While playing in this band, he joined a choral group, the Serenaders, which performed on a Spokane radio station every week. One of the singers in this choral group was Marianna Hage, who became Eugene’s wife in 1945. Shortly after they were married, he was shipped to Europe to fight as a result of the Battle of the Bulge hostilities. The war ended soon after he arrived in Europe. After the war, Eugene and Marianna returned to Washington State College where Eugene graduated with bachelor’s degrees in music and education. He was then recruited by Don McCaw to teach music at Miller Junior High. Mr. McCaw was the director of the Grays Harbor Symphony and wanted Eugene to bring his oboe skills to the symphony. After a year at Miller, Eugene became the director of the Aberdeen High School choir. He then began to teach at Grays Harbor Community College where he became the college’s first Director of Music. In 1953, Eugene founded the Grays Harbor Civic Choir which presented many musicals and classical performances in the community.

The Civic Choir continues to perform to this day. He earned his master of arts in music from the University of Washington in 1957. After Eugene retired in 1978, he and his wife, Marianna, continued as prominent music teachers in the Grays Harbor community for many years. Marianna died in 2011. In 2016, the Polson Museum presented Eugene with a Pioneer Award for his many contributions to the community. A reception was held at Grays Harbor College which allowed many of his students to give testimonials to his outstanding talents as a music teacher. He and his family were touched to see this outpouring of affection and appreciation. In addition to musical talents, Eugene had a host of other skills. He was proud to have purchased and maintained a Model A Ford as a teenager. He built a home for his family in Central Park and lived there for more than 50 years. He loved the water and spent many hours on his boat. Eugene was a remarkable person of many talents. His musical abilities were exceptional. He had a friendly and easy-going style that people loved. Eugene loved the outdoors. He liked to spend time on his tractor tilling his garden. He continued to cut wood with his chain saw well into his 90s. His wife Marianna, son Chris, and brother Robert preceded Eugene in death. He is survived by his sons and their wives: Mark (Debbie) and Tim (Lorraine); four grandchildren: Chris, Brian, Steven and Jordan; sister-in-law Carolyn Nunemaker and nieces Kristine Walker and Ingrid Holmland. His immediate and extended family were able to spend a great deal of quality time with him in recent years. He truly enjoyed his family. The family suggests that those wanting to donate in Eugene’s memory contribute to CARE, an organization fighting poverty and world hunger Eugene was a strong supporter of the work of this organization.

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Wes Brosman Wes Brosman, age 82 of Aberdeen, Washington, passed away Aug. 29, 2019. He was born Feb. 5, 1937, in the San Joaquin Valley in the heart of the depression to Dust Bowl immigrants to California. He struggled to adapt to a life as a nearly deaf person in an era of little or no social services nor aid to hearing impaired persons. He is preceded in death by both parents and brother, Roy L. Wes is survived by wife, Jana, his two sons, Bradley, of California and Gregory of Georgia, two daughters, Correen Mullis, of Vancouver, Washington, and Jennifer Brosman, of Ohio, brother, James, of California, sister, Irene, of Arizona, and eight grandchildren. He married Jana, the stepmother to his four children in 1969. He dropped out of the 11th grade when a teacher told him he would never hold a decent job because of his poor hearing. Depressed, he moved from Blythe, California to Las Vegas, Nevada. He continued his education, attending various colleges whenever possible. In his earlier years he did everything he could to support a growing family and still go to school. He had been a service station attendant, truck driver, factory worker, union organizer, plumber, bought and sold real estate and a self-employed remodeling contractor. In his 40s he retired for health reasons. They sold their home in Arroyo Grande, California and bought a one-way ticket to Europe, backpacking from Scandinavia to Turkey for 10 months. He was so excited to visit places he had only read about in history books. The next trip they rode his motorcycle from California to Canada, then flew to Europe for another years long trip. He and Jana did over 20 more trips to Europe. In England, he took courses to become a teacher of English as a foreign language. While in Spain, he taught English. He had always wanted to be a teacher. With hearing aids, this was possible. They also traveled to Mexico, the Philippines and Hong Kong. He had to return to Blythe, California, to care for his mother. He started his new career teaching second and third grades and special education. While teaching, he earned his masters degree and teaching credential. During this time, he started writing his memoirs of his early years being almost totally deaf, “No Place Else.” He did not want to go to school because his name was “Dumbie.” His teachers thought he was retarded and was cheating when he made good grades. This book was to help teachers become aware of students with hearing problems. He retired in 2000 and moved to Aberdeen, Washington. Wes was active in The Hearing Loss Association, ACLU, Americans with Disabilities and the Olympians Hiking Club. He looked forward every year to “Rainy Day Read” at the Aberdeen Timberland Library. He gave a review almost every year. There will be no services as he requested.



Saturday, October 19, 2019

The Daily World

Marilyn R. Coombs Marilyn R. Coombs, 87, passed away peacefully Friday, Aug. 30, 2019. She was born in Aberdeen, Washington at Aberdeen General Hospital on (she reported it as) “24 March, 1932”. Her parents were Thomas Coombs and Ruth (Cuzick) Coombs. In her younger years she lived in Hoquiam and attended Hoquiam Schools, where she enjoyed playing basketball and softball, graduating high school in 1950. After graduation Marilyn attended St. Peters Nursing Program in Olympia, receiving a bachelor of science degree in nursing in 1953. She returned to the Harbor and worked at the old Community Hospital for four years before enlisting in the Air Force in 1957. She never planned to stay in the service for 20 years, but the Air Force agreed with her and gave her a chance to see some of the world. During her 20 years career she completed flight nurse training and tropical survival school. She and one other nurse were the first women to go through the survival course. She noted it was quite an experience and would say, “What you caught, you ate!” During her military career she was stationed in Mississippi, Alabama, Oregon, North Carolina, Ohio, Alaska, Texas, Washington, Germany, Vietnam, Dominican Republic and Japan retiring in 1977, as a nursing administrator with the rank of Colonel. She was awarded the Bronze Star for distinguished and meritorious service while serving in the Republic of Vietnam. She also received the Air Force Commendation Medal (First Oak Leaf Cluster) while serving as Charge Nurse at Fairchild Air Force Base in Washington. Upon returning to the Harbor again, she purchased a home in Brady where

she and her mom lived for several years. There she enjoyed gardening, had rabbits, ducks, cats and dogs for pets. She liked to go fishing and clam digging. In retirement Marilyn was always available to help family, friends and neighbors regardless what was needed. One of her most memorable moments as a young girl was when President Roosevelt came through Hoquiam to see the Olympic National Forest. She wanted to see his dog, but it stayed with President Roosevelt’s wife. It still turned out to be quite an experience. Marilyn will always be remembered for her compassion during the war for those wounded and her willingness, at all times, to help others to the best of her ability. Her parents and brother, Thomas J. Coombs, and aunt, Margaret Patteson; cousins, Lois Enstrom and Gloria Lubich, and we can’t forget her beloved dachshund, Princess II, predeceased her. Marilyn’s closest surviving relatives are nephew, Charles Coombs (Margie) in Texas, grandnieces, Karyn Engle (Ezra), Connie Buckley both in California; cousins, Mark Lubich and Alan Lubich (Jo) and her very good friends, Allan and Barbara Shores and Nancy Carlberg all in Washington. Memorials in honor of Marilyn are suggested to St. Jude Children’s Hospital, Food for the Poor, Paws or a charity of your choice. An open house to share memories and events took place Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019 at Calvary Lutheran Church parish hall in Aberdeen. Arrangements are by the Coleman Mortuary in Hoquiam. Please take a few moments of your time to record your comments for the family by signing the online register at

Edward Karl Holloway Edward Karl Holloway, a lifetime Hoquiam resident passed away Monday, Aug. 19, 2019, after an extended battle with cancer. He would have been 73 years old on Aug. 21,2019. Edward was born on Aug. 21,1946, in Hoquiam, Washington. He attended the Hoquiam School District until he joined the United States Army where he was deployed as a crew chief on a helicopter. He spent four years in Vietnam, from 1964 -1967, when he was discharged due to injuries suffered during deployment. In 1974, he met Irene Nault. They soon married and were together until they divorced in 1999. Ed enjoyed gardening and

peeling cascara in the summer. He also liked watching his stepsons run road races. His real passion was automobiles. He loved to work on engines small or large. He also enjoyed playing video games and watching documentaries on plants and animals. Edward is survived by two brothers, Lee Miller, Texas and Paul Miller, Seattle, Washington and a sister Randi Combs of Lake Stevens, Washington. He is also survived by Raymond Nault III from The Villages, Florida, Michael Nault from Hoquiam and David Nault from Aberdeen. Ed was preceded in death by both his mother and father both from Hoquiam. Rest in Peace Ed, you will be missed.

Grant G. Edwards Grant G. Edwards was born on May 3, 1919, in Great Falls, Montana, to George D. Edwards and Marian Jean Troson. Grant passed away on Sept. 13, 2019, in Montesano, Washington. Grant is survived by his son Terry G. Edwards, daughter Maureen Skow, sister Betty Cukrowicz and his good friend Liz Simmons. Grant spent his younger years living on farms in NW Washington. He moved to Montesano, Washington, in 1929 and graduated from high school in 1938. Grant enlisted in the U.S. Navy on Dec. 11, 1939. On Feb. 14, 1947, Grant was married to his life partner, Pauline Love, until her passing in 2012. During his 20-year Navy career he was stationed in San Diego, California, where he was in the Hospital Corps

School Bremerton aboard the USS Hendry attack transport. He then transferred to the Navy Reserve on Aug. 1, 1960. After retiring from the military, he then moved on to work for Weyerhaeuser from 19651982. After retiring he turned his efforts to his passion and love for animals by volunteering his time at PAWS in Aberdeen. On May 3, 2019, the Montesano VFW hosted Grant’s 100th birthday party, where he was a life member. He is believed to have been the oldest survivor of WWII in Grays Harbor County. A celebration of life with a barbecue and potluck was held on Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019 at the Montesano VFW Park. All donations should be made to the Aberdeen PAWS at 800 W 1st St., Aberdeen, WA 98520

The Daily World

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Connie Johnson

Kenneth L Blackwell Sr. Kenneth L Blackwell Sr., 74, passed away on Sept. 5, 2019, after an extended illness. He is now with his mother and his dearest friend, Frank Cassie. Ken left behind his brother, Bob Blackwell, and two sisters, Donna Blackwell and Lisa Palucci. He also left hehind a son, Ken Blackwell Jr., and a daughter, Leanda Miles, along with five grandchildren and five great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews. Ken worked at Harbor Plywood and Evans Products before it closed. He was a member of the IWA. Ken loved to fish and play cards at The Spar, Mac’s Tavern and The Smoke Shop on his days off. There is no memorial scheduled. R.I.P Ken

Connie Johnson, 96, lifetime Aberdeen resident, died Tuesday night, Sept. 3, 2019, at Grays Harbor Community Hospital in Aberdeen, Washington. Connie was born on Oct. 26, 1922, in Aberdeen to John A. and Clara (Heger) Johnson. She graduated from Weatherwax High School in 1940 and then attended Grays Harbor Business College. She then went to work as a legal secretary for Gladys Phillips, then Paul Manly, Tom Parker and Jack Burtch. In 1941, Connie married Norm Carlson. They later divorced in 1972. She then married Alfons Johnson on Aug. 13, 1975, in Aberdeen. He passed away on Jan. 4, 2005, in Aberdeen. She moved to his Cranberry farm in Grayland where she helped run the boggs for 45 years. She liked working outside, clam digging and playing bridge and pinochle. Connie is survived by her daughter, Barbara (Ray) Ericks of Aberdeen; a son, Steven (Vicki) Carlson of Bothel, Washington, two step-children, Marilyn Pangilinan of Kirkland, Washington and

Cheryl Thomas of Yelm, Washington, grandchildren; Lisa Ericks, John Ericks, Scott Carlson and Kevin Carlson; step-grandchildren, Kevin Thomas, Frank Thomas and Heidi Thomas, great- grandchildren; Lauren Ericks, Johnny Ericks, Michael Carlson, Maci Carlson, Avery Carlson, Jacob Carlson, Emily Carlson and Clair Carlson, step-great -grandchildren; Joel, Matthew and Vanity Thomas, niece, Carla Zenner of Ocean Shores and nephew, Ed Cote of Vancouver, Washington; good friends: Herb and Sharon Godfrey, who were always there with a helping hand when needed. Connie was preceded in death by her sister Elnora Cote. There was a funeral service for Connie on Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2019, at Fern Hill Funeral Home, Aberdeen, Washington. Graveside followed at Fern Hill Cemetery, Aberdeen, Washington. A message of condolence or of a memory can be sent to the family at Arrangements are entrusted to Twibell’s Fern Hill Funeral Home in Aberdeen, Washington.

Kenneth Dale Grimm Kenneth Dale Grimm, a longtime Raymond resident and businessman, died Aug. 27 at the Raymond Care Center. He was born Oct. 8, 1928, in Tacoma, Washington to Fred R. and Cynthia Ann (Lamb) Grimm. He graduated from Lincoln High School in Tacoma on June 7, 1946 and entered the U.S. Navy Submarine service on June 10, 1946, having served aboard the U.S.S. Seacat Squadron 6. He was discharged April 10, 1948. During his high school years he worked at the Atlas Foundry as a machine molder and bridge crane operator, making castings for the war effort. He also worked for the U.S. government at the Pacific Naval Advance Base in Lakewood. Following his military service, he attended watch making (repair) school in Glendale, California for 1 ¼ years and then moved to Lewiston, Idaho where he worked for American Home Foods

as a salesman for the state of Montana. He married Jacqueline Louise Hatchard on Sept. 17, 1950, in Lewiston, Idaho. They moved to Bremerton in 1951, where he worked for J.C. Penney as a trainee for managership. In 1952, he moved to Raymond where he purchased the Lapinski Grocery on First Street. In June of 1960, he closed the store and became manager for the New Stewarts Food Liner (later renamed Stewarts Food Basket) and purchased a partnership in 1961. He then sold out in 1972, and worked for 2 ½ years for Swansons Food Stores

in South Aberdeen and Simpson Avenue. In 1975, he went to work for the Dennis Company where he became merchandise manager for both Raymond and Long Beach, and moved up to store manager in 1982, retiring in 1994. Kenneth was also a life member of Knights of Columbus, a former Lions Club president and member as well as Raymond Elks Lodge #1292, and a 30 year member of the American Legion Post #150. In his spare time he also loved woodworking and fishing. Kenneth was a devoted husband, a family man and a people person.

Surviving Kenneth are his wife Jacqueline of Raymond, two daughters Nancy Mason of Honolulu, Hawaii and Kristy (Kevin) Dockter of Raymond, his son Daniel Grimm of Aberdeen, five grandchildren, Candra Burns of Germany, BayLynn Grimm of Hoquiam, Chelsea Mudgett of Olympia, Montgomery Mason of Seattle, Jordan Dockter of Raymond and one great-granddaughter Alyvia Mudgett of Olympia. The funeral mass was held at St. Lawrence Catholic Church in Raymond, Washington on Sept. 7. The American Legion Post #150 held a military honor guard service along with active military personnel following the funeral mass in front of the church. Arrangements are in care of Stoller’s Mortuary in Raymond, Washington. You may visit to leave condolences for the family.



Saturday, October 19, 2019

The Daily World

John P. Stricevich

Vera Vella Nicholson

Patricia Mae Snodgrass

John P. Stricevich, 87 years of age and a lifetime Harborite, died on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019, at Grays Harbor Community Hospital in Aberdeen, Washington. He was born on Sept. 5, 1932, in Aberdeen to John S. and Antica Eva (Relja) Stricevich. He was raised and attended Aberdeen schools, graduating from Weatherwax High School in 1950. He then served with the United States Navy for a fouryear tour of duty. Following his honorable discharge, he returned to the Harbor. He was employed by Nieme Body and Fender, Major Line Cabinet and then for Hoquiam Plywood from where he retired at the age of 65. He enjoyed fishing, clam digging, working on a friend’s farm, picking little wild black berries and splitting firewood for his wood stove. He liked to barbecue and play pinochle with his family and friends. His survivors include nieces, nephews and other relatives. He was preceded in death by an infant brother, Paul Stricevich, a brother, Louis Stricevich and two sisters, Mary Knoph and Sally Burr. A graveside service was held at 11 a.m., Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2019, at the Aberdeen Fern Hill Cemetery with Gil Goethals, officiating. Direction is by the Coleman Mortuary, 422 – 5th Street in Hoquiam, Washington 98550. Please take a few moments of your time to record your comments for the family by signing the online register at

Vera Vella Nicholson, 90 years of age and a longtime Harborite, died on Thursday, Sept. 5, 2019, in Hoquiam, Washington. She was born on March 24, 1929, in Tonasket, Washington to Robert and Genevieve (Silverthorn) Sumner. She was raised and attended school in Tonasket. On Nov. 10, 1945, she was married to Edward Nicholson in Tonasket. They resided in Eastern Washington prior to coming to Hoquiam in 1950 and had since resided in the greater Harbor area. Vera had raised her family and taken care of her husband’s trucking company books. She enjoyed playing with her grandchildren and working in her yard. She will long be remembered for her loving, caring and honest personality and working in her sawmill. She was a member of the Hoquiam Eagles Auxiliary. Vera is survived by her daughters, Vicki Stearns (Ken) and Peggy Perry (Larry) both of Hoquiam; her grandchildren, Eddie Stearns (Karla), Valerie Boles, Lance Perry (Shelly), Jason Perry (Tiffany), Carmell Bond (Joe), Wade Perry (Tina) and Brittany Perry, 13 great-grandchildren, four great-great-grandchildren and other relatives, She was preceded in death by her husband, Edward Nicholson in 1995, a granddaughter Nikki Stearns in 2014 and two sons, Edward “Butch” Nicholson in 1963 and Wade Nicholson in 1972. Visitation was held on Monday, Sept. 9, 2019, at the Coleman Mortuary in Hoquiam. A funeral service was held Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2019, at the Coleman Mortuary Chapel, 422 5th Street in Hoquiam with Bill Elders officiating. Vault interment followed in the Sunset Memorial Park in Hoquiam. Please take a few moments of your time to record your comments for the family by signing the on-line register at www.colemanmortuary. net.

On Friday, Sept. 13, 2019, lifelong Raymond resident Patricia Mae Snodgrass passed away peacefully at the age of 77. Pat was survived by her husband and high school sweetheart of 56 years, Ivan, who resides at their family home, brother, Robert Allan of Raymond; two children, Leah Heintz (John) and Brett Snodgrass (Lori) both of Raymond, grandchildren, Jonathan, Brittany and Jacob, and great-grandson, Baker. Pat was preceded in death by her mother, Rhoda K. Johnson, and stepfather, Earl V. Johnson. As a young girl she lost her father, Lindzey “Red” Bales, to a logging accident. She was a member of the Upper Skagit Indian tribe. Pat was a dedicated hard worker and put a labor of love into everything she did. In her early years, she worked as a waitress and cannery worker but ultimately became a homemaker helping to raise her kids and grandchildren. She was a devoted wife, mother, grandmother and loved to cook for many elderly people in the community who needed help. Pat loved holidays and family gatherings. Any chance to spend time with her family was important to her. Pat was known for her caring and funny sense of humor and will be missed by many. Family and friends gathered at Crossroads Church at 707 Commercial St. in Raymond on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019, for a service and luncheon. Arrangements are in care of Stoller’s Mortuary in Raymond, Washington. You may visit to leave condolences for the family.

To place a loved one’s Memoriam or Obituary please call 360-532-4000

The Daily World

Clifford Clinton Corwin Jr. “Spud” Clifford Clinton “Spud” Corwin Jr. passed away in Taholah, on Aug. 21, 2019, at age 75. He was born on Dec. 4, 1943, in Bay Center, Washington, to Clifford Clinton and Ethel Etta (Bastian) Corwin. He lived in Raymond, Washington for the past 41 years with his cherished wife, Laura Corwin, and their loving blended family. They had several children, including: Amanda Corwin, Kathi Killen, Korrina Dalke, Colleen Nissell, Jodi Karlsvik, Erika Ekman, Ken Corwin, and Shannon Rodde, as well as many grandchildren and great- grandchildren. Spud owned his own business, Corwin Cutting, but was also a sergeant in the U.S. Army, a commercial fisherman and a proud member of the Quinault Indian Nation. He had a passion for hunting, fishing, driving on the beach and in the woods,

Saturday, October 19, 2019

William Lee Williams Jr.

going on road trips with his wife and attending family events. Spud and Laura met in high school but reconnected with each other at the H&H cafe in South Bend, Washington in 1978 and married three months later. Just prior to his passing, they were planning to renew their vows on their upcoming wedding anniversary. Spud will be remembered as a person who was kind and generous, always helped others in need and had enormous love for his family. The funeral service was on Sept. 14, 2019, at the Crossroads Church, 707 Commercial St, Raymond. Arrangements are by the Coleman Mortuary in Hoquiam. Please take a few moments of your time to record your comments for the family by signing the online register at

William Lee Williams Jr., a South Bend resident, died Saturday, Sept. 7, 2019, at the Capital Medical Center in Olympia, He was 74. He was born June 5, 1945, to William Lee Sr. and Creasy (Stigall) Williams in Newberry, Michigan. William worked at Pacific Hardwoods and Weyerhaeuser before attending college. He graduated college with an associate’s degree as a corrections officer. He was hired and worked in one of the first groups ever hired at the Stafford Creek Correctional Center. Some of his hobbies included hunting, fishing, camping and bowling. His grandchildren and his wife were his life. His wife, Rosita, survives him at the family home in South Bend. Also surviving him are two daughters, Teresa Rucker (Mike Gleason) of South Bend and Tina (Dave) Chapman of

Raymond, one son, Daniel (Marcy) Williams of South Bend, his sister Linda (Cecil) Gunter of South Bend, five brothers; Dale (Connie), Clarence (Toni), David (Terri Karnas), Delmar (Susie), and Larry (Jerry) Williams, all of South Bend. Also surviving him are 10 grandchildren and eight great- grandchildren. Preceding him in death are his parents, two grandchildren, his sister, Polly Davis and his brother, Jessie Joe Williams. A celebration of life was held in William’s honor on Saturday, Sept. 14, 2019, at the Willapa Harbor Chamber of Commerce in South Bend. Arrangements are in care of Stoller’s Mortuary in Raymond, Washington. You may visit to leave condolences for the family.

James A “Jim” Sutherby The children and family of James A “Jim” Sutherby are sorry to announce his passing on Sept. 17, at Capital Medical Center. Jim was born April 17, 1927. in Satsop, Washington. to Art and Nellie Sutherby. He was a graduate of Elma High School, where he was a varsity football player. His military service was an adventure as he wanted to join the Seabees to further his education in heavy equipment operation, but they were not in need of recruits at that time nor was the Navy, so he joined the Army and the adventure begins. Soon after there was a call for volunteers to join the Navy and he was selected and now was off to the South Pacific. While there, there was a call to join the Seabees and he was again selected. Thus the beginning of a lifelong career as a heavy equipment operator. He was a retired 69-year member of the International Union of Operating

Engineers, Local 302 in Seattle. Highlights of his career include: four tours on the Trans Alaska Pipeline, Satsop nuclear powerplant, worked on the gas line to bring natural gas to Grays Harbor and he worked on the freeway into and through Grays Harbor into Aberdeen. He was the excavation foreman for Dravo Company building the Wynooche Dam. After leaving the service he married Patsy Jean “Pat” Avey in McCleary in 1948. Together they had five children. Jim’s work led to their first home in Shaffer Brothers logging camp and

then to Camp Grisdale. While in Grisdale, Jim was instrumental in bringing cable to the camp. He was also a Boy Scout leader for several years. Jim began building race cars in the late 1950s and enjoyed dirt track racing at the old half-mile track at the Elma fairgrounds. In 1961 the family moved to Brady. He served on the Evergreen Auto Racing Association (EARA) Board of Directors for several years before being elected president where he served for 12 years. He was in the first class of inductees voted into the EARA Hall of

Fame. Jim was also a charter member of the Brady Fire Department, where he served for 25 years — 14 years as chief. Jim was preceded in death by his wife, Pat, of 69 years; his parents, Art and Nellie, and a brother, Roland. He is survived by Randy Sutherby of Montesano, Sandra Wixon of Aberdeen, Jack (Sheridan) Sutherby of Elma, Brian (Lisa) Sutherby of Elma and Scott Sutherby of Kalama, a brother and sister-inlaw, Leroy and Diane Avey of McCleary, along with 17 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. Services were held Friday, Sept. 27, 2019, at the Montesano United Methodist Church, 401 E Spruce Ave. Montesano. A graveside service followed at the Wynooche Cemetery. The family asks that any donations be made to the Methodist Church in Montesano or the Brady Fire Department.



Saturday, October 19, 2019

The Daily World

Ernest “Dale” Beerbower Ernest “Dale” Beerbower, a longtime East Grays Harbor resident, passed away Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019, in Morton at the age of 90. Dale was born on Aug. 20, 1929, in Garland, Kansas, to Ernie and Mattie Beerbower and moved to Washington at the age of 12. He attended and was graduated from Elma High School in 1949. Dale went on to serve his country during the Korean Conflict as part of the U.S. Army Fifth Engineers Combat Battalion stationed in Germany. Upon returning home, he married Mary Louise Boyer on Aug. 8, 1953. Dale first started as a carpenter’s apprentice before being hired to work at the Simpson Mill in McCleary working the majority of his 42 years in the plywood plant. Dale helped build and was a charter volunteer fireman for the Porter Fire Department. He also lived on and operated a farm in Porter. Dale had varied interests; forestry, farming, carpentry, playing pinochle, listening and dancing to country music. Throughout his life he was dedicated to his family either as a son, son-in law, brother, father, father-in-law, grandfather, great-grandfather and uncle. He lived by his word and never turned away from a hard job. Dale had a contagious smile. He was a long-time Seattle Mariners fan and he could tell you what would happen next in the scenes of western movies. Dale was preceded in death by his loving wife of 52 years, Mary “Ba,” his parents and a sister, Lucille. Dale is survived by his two children and their spouses: Jim and Cathy Beerbower of Porter and Debbie and John Hill of Shelton; six grandchildren; Jenny and Jeff Monroe, Brad and Tessa Beerbower, Brian and Julia Beerbower, Jonathan and Katie Hill, Eric and Ruby Hill, Marissa and Mike DeLamatter; ten great-grandchildren; a sister, Edith Soller; a brother, Bob, numerous nephews and nieces and special companion of 12 years, Pat Siesser. A viewing was available on Thursday, Sept. 26, 2019, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Friday, Sept. 27, 2019, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Coleman Mortuary, 422 5th Street in Hoquiam. A celebration of life was held at the Summit Pacific Wellness Center’s Ortquist Room on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019. A potluck social gathering followed the celebration of life. A private family interment was conducted at the Elma Masonic Cemetery. In lieu of flowers the family suggests memorial donations be made to the Porter Sunday School at 122 Porter Creek Road, Elma, WA 98541. Arrangements are entrusted to Coleman Mortuary, 422 5th Street in Hoquiam. Please take a few moments of your time to record your comments for the family by signing the online register at www.

Pauline Vivian Laufer Bryant On Friday, Sept. 6, 2019, Pauline Vivian Laufer Bryant, loving mother, grandmother and great-grandmother passed away at the age of 92. She spent the last five years of her life living in the care of her daughter, Colleen and Bill Simpson. Pauline was born on Dec. 28, 1926, to Paul Conrad Laufer and Edith Vivian Richardson in Lewiston, Idaho. Pauline graduated from Lewiston High School in 1945 and continued on to Sacred Heart Nursing School through Gonzaga University, receiving her nursing degree in 1948. She served her country as a member of the United States Nurse Corps during World War II. During Pauline’s nursing career she taught nursing students at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Lewiston, Idaho, while she also worked in many hospitals as an emergency room nurse, surgical nurse and private duty nurse. Dr. Maurice E. Bryant and Pauline married on Feb. 1, 1965, in Moscow, Idaho with a combined family of nine children. The family moved to the Grand Coulee Dam area in 1967 to start Dr. Bryant’s family practice. Pauline worked as a nurse in her husband’s practice. At a young age Pauline was an accomplished concert pianist. She was involved in Lady Lions

and starting up the hospital auxiliary in Grand Coulee Dam, Washington. At the age of 65, she went back to school to obtain her Master Gardeners degree. She had a love for teaching, painting nature, spending time in her flower beds and playing the piano. Pauline is survived by her children, Lincoln (Eileen) Bryant of Washington, Stephanie McCoy of California, Linda Hillman of Washington, Michael (Margaret) Bryant of Washington, Maureen Bryant of Virginia, Jerry Paul (Carol) Bryant of Washington, Colleen (Bill) Simpson of Washington, James (Deborah) Bryant of Washington, 18 grandchildren, 30 great-grandchildren, and her beloved friends and neighbors, Jim and Mary Jane Bailey. Pauline is preceded in death by step-daughter Sharon Kupit (2018), her husband Dr. Bryant (1998), her mother Edith (1969), her father Paul (1966) and many close friends. Pauline touched the lives of many, and she will be missed. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association or your favorite art guild. To share memories or leave condolences for the family please visit Arrangements are by Harrison Family Mortuary in Aberdeen, Washington.

To place a loved one’s Memoriam or Obituary please call 360-532-4000

The Daily World

Shirley Maxine Hansen Akers On Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019, Shirley Maxine Hansen Akers, beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and wife, passed away at the age of 97. Shirley was born on Dec. 2, 1921, to George Einar Hansen and Myrtle Viola Croswell Hansen at St. Joseph Hospital in Denver, Colorado. She spent most of her childhood in Denver. She attended North HS in Denver, where she won a fencing match played during an assembly — she wondered at her nerve to do that. She ice skated on the lakes with friends, danced to swing music at proms (favoring gardenia corsages) and was a Worthy Advisor for Rainbow Girls. Shirley graduated in 1939, and after sitting out a year because she was too young, was accepted at Colorado Training School for Nurses at Denver General Hospital. She received her cap in 1941, married Airman Bill Matlack in 1942 and graduated as a registered nurse in 1943. Her career as a nurse included: visiting nurse with the iconic navy cape, private practice, ER, civilian nurse in an Army hospital, public health and school nurse for Grays Harbor Health Department until retiring in 2004. Shirley wanted to be an airline stewardess, a job that combined flying, travel and adventure. At the time that meant being a registered nurse. Married life and parenting curtailed pursuit of that vocation, but she retained a love of travel. Shirley and Bill enjoyed several trips to Europe and made lifelong friends with several British couples. Later in life, after their marriage, Shirley and Jack explored the Pacific Northwest by RV. Shirley was an avid reader, pouring over newspapers and wading through lengthy works of fiction. She enjoyed painting and the perpetual contest with marauding deer that she called “gardening.” Shirley is survived by her children, Will Matlack and Gigi DeVault, four granddaughters, 12 great-grandchildren and her second husband, James Jackson Akers. Shirley was preceded in death by her first husband William Howard Matlack (2006). One of Shirley’s greatest blessings was that she retained a sharp mind to her last day on earth. She was glad to be born in this era during which she witnessed truly awesome changes. Shirley watched and critiqued the news on TV, always curious to know details, and worried about people (especially children) in difficult straits. To honor her, in lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the “fruits and vegetables prescription program” of Dr. Paul Farmer’s Partners in Health. A memorial service was held on Sept. 21 at 1 p.m. at Shores Fellowship Church in Ocean Shores, Washington.

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Kevin Ray Rimpila Kevin Ray Rimpila,70, passed away on Friday, Aug. 23, 2019, at Montesano Health and Rehabilitation Center. Kevin was born June 18, 1949, in Aberdeen, Washington to Lauri and Dolores Rimpila. He attended grade school in Aberdeen and graduated from high school in 1967. While in high school Kevin worked as a box-boy at Swanson’s. Following high school Kevin proudly served in the U.S. Navy and was deployed to Vietnam for two years. When Kevin finished his deployment he returned to Mt. Vernon, Washington where he worked for Skagit Valley Nursery for three years. Kevin then attended Yakima Valley Community College, graduating after two years, earning a medical technology degree in radiology / ultrasound. He then moved to Olympia where he worked for many years at Providence St. Peter Hospital in the radiology department. Kevin eventually relocated to California where he worked for a heart specialist and enjoyed volunteer work. In 2010, Kevin moved back home to Grays Harbor due to failing health and bought a home out on the East Hoquiam Road. Kevin loved to cook and watch football, and he

was also an avid reader. He especially loved his dog, “Toonie”, who was his constant companion. Kevin is survived by his loving family, sister Judy Wade of Wishkah Valley, his niece and caregiver, Kris Tobin, of Central Park and his nephew, Patrick Wade, of Centralia. Kevin had no children. He was preceded in death by his parents; his nephew, Michael Wade and his beloved grandmother, Rozella Downs. We are so thankful for the amazing care and kindness Kevin received at Montesano Health and Rehabilitation Center, the calls answered by the Wishkah Fire Department during his illness and also for his kind neighbors, Tony and Marilyn Dehnert. Special thanks to Candace St. Louis for her care of Kevin as both housekeeper and caregiver for the past year. At Kevin’s request there will be no services. In lieu of flowers if you wish to donate in Kevin’s memory please consider the Wishkah Valley Fire Department, 4660 Wishkah Rd., Aberdeen, WA. 98520. To share memories or to leave a condolence please visit Harrison Family Mortuary of Aberdeen is honored to assist the family.

Floyd L. Cornwell Floyd L. Cornwell, 80, of Shelton and formerly of Montesano, passed away Monday, Sept. 23, 2019, at his home. Born at home in Montesano on Feb. 24, 1939, to John Sr. & Tressie (Thaxton) Cornwell, he was the fourth of six children. Floyd grew up in Montesano, attended school there and frequented many social events. Floyd worked for Simpson Timber as a shovel operator for decades loading countless logs onto trucks out of Grisdale, Shelton and surrounding areas before retiring from the company. For a short time he worked on the Gandy Dancer crew building railroad and running a crane. Floyd ran a stacker at Grisdale for four to five years loading logs onto trains before they shutdown. In his younger years, Floyd purchased a home and land in Brady next door to his brother, Gary Sr., where he could raise cattle and pigs and begin his family. He had six

children, Johnny, Floyd Lee Jr., Terri Lee, Yvette, Cori and Lori. In his later years after moving to Lake Nahwatzel, Floyd would meet his longtime girlfriend Arlene Schmidtke, whom he shared a home with and was by his side when he passed along with his daughter Yvette. Floyd is survived by his girlfriend, Arlene Schmidtke, his children, Johnny Odegard, Floyd Lee Cornwell Jr., Yvette Sadlock, his siblings, Joanne Ambrose, Gary Cornwell Sr., Marilyn Lockwood and his many grandchildren, great -grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Floyd was predeceased by his parents John Sr. and Tressie. His brothers, Johnny Cornwell Jr., Kenneth Cornwell Sr. and his daughters, Terri Lee Welch, Cori Grube and Lori Cornwell. Arrangements will be announced at a later time.



Saturday, October 19, 2019

The Daily World


DALLAS — T. Boone Pickens, legendary energy executive, philanthropist, ardent Oklahoma State University supporter and one of America’s most famous entrepreneurs, died peacefully Sept. 11 of natural causes at his Dallas home. He was 91. Pickens had an energy career that went from laborer to corporate take-over raider to tycoon to business soothsayer. L.A. movie producers would have been hard-pressed to create an exaggerated Hollywood version of the real-life man. “Ralph Waldo Emerson said, ‘Do not go where the path might lead, but instead go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.’ That was Boone,” said retired banker Alan White, one of Pickens’ closest friends. “Boone was always going some place where there was no path. He left trails all of his life. Many of us had the good fortune of being able to follow along with him.” Born in Holdenville, a small town in eastern Oklahoma, Pickens spent his adult years as a longtime resident of Dallas and his massive Mesa Vista Ranch in the Panhandle. George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Nancy Reagan, Ted Turner and George Strait were among the notables Pickens hosted at his beloved 68,000-acre ranch, which is miles upon miles of mesas, man-made lakes and rivers, and pristine wildlife habitat. In late 2016, Pickens suffered the first of a series of small strokes that affected his speech. In mid-July 2017, he had what he called “a Texas-size fall” that landed him in the hospital and sidelined him from most public appearances. It was quite a setback for “the Oracle of Oil” who was known for his verbal soothsaying. But he continued to make his opinions known, using Twitter and LinkedIn as his bully pulpit. Pickens’ closest cronies were three fellow Dallas transplants who became local powerbrokers: retired PlainsCapital chairman White, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and beer distributor Barry Andrews. “Boone was stubborn. He was tough,” said White. “He had more charisma than anyone I’ve ever known. He was billionaire rich, and he went broke two or three times. But every time that he was knocked down on his knees, he got back up, dusted himself off and went right back at it.” Troubled by his health issues, Pickens began to downsize in the fall of 2017 when he put his Mediterranean-style Preston Hollow estate up for sale, asking $6.5 million for the 8,906-square-foot home. It sold for an undisclosed sum the following March. Two months later, he put a $250 million for-sale sign on Mesa Vista, saying he wanted to make sure it was sold to someone who would carry on his conservation efforts there. But he didn’t really try too hard to sell it. He continued to spend most weekends there, entertaining friends and family or holding political and nonprofit conferences. In January 2018, he announced that he had stepped away from his hedge-fund business, BP Capital Management, and other investment entities, which had combined assets of under $1 billion at year-end 2017. His last big celebration was in May 2018, when nearly 500 well-wishers showed up for his 90th birthday. The guests were asked to wear OSU bright orange, transforming the

Dallas Country Club into a sea of his beloved alma mater’s color. Jerry Jones wore an orange tie despite his allegiance to the University of Arkansas Razorbacks’ red. Even White, a die-hard Texas Tech Red Raider fan, wore an orange sports shirt that he had made just for the occasion. “I’ll never wear it again but for him,” White said at the party. “I’ve got a pair of orange socks on that I didn’t know I had. It really pains me. But it’s only once every 90 years that I have to do this.” He was born Thomas Boone Pickens Jr. but grew up as Boone at his mother’s insistence even though he disliked his middle name. As an adult, he reattached the T. to his moniker. During his seven decades in the energy industry, Pickens’ face was featured on the cover of just about every significant business publication in America. He was a regular on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” and MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” During the 1980s, Pickens became a well-known corporate raider — a term he despised — making a string of losing but profitable takeover runs at Gulf Oil, Unocal and Dallas-based Diamond Shamrock. In 1986, Pickens founded the nonprofit United Shareholders Association to help shareholders fight what he saw as rampant corporate abuses. Bobby Stillwater, his attorney for 50-plus years, recalled how Pickens was shunned by business establishment — most notably by the Business Roundtable and its major corporate CEO members throughout the country.

“They convinced their commercial and investment bankers not to do business with us,” said Stillwater, who retired as BP Capital’s general counsel in 2013 but still helps with Pickens’ philanthropic and personal estate affairs. “They made it very hard for us to finance a deal. They just dogged Boone all over the country. Any place where he gave a speech, they’d give an anti-Boone one.” One group tried to get Pickens booted from Augusta National Golf Club, home to the U.S. Masters Tournament, which Pickens joined in 1982. But Pickens’ powerful friends came to his defense. “Otherwise, they would have thrown his ass right out of there,” Stillwater said with a laugh. “They did everything they could to derail Boone Pickens, but he won. He was on the right side of the issues. He was a very focused, dogged guy who said, ‘By God, I’m right, and I’m going to keep going.’” Pickens wasn’t a billionaire when he died, with his last reported net worth standing at a mere $500 million. That’s because he’d given away more than $1 billion to philanthropic and educational causes. “I like making money. I like giving money away. Giving money is not as fun as making it, but it’s a close second,” Pickens liked to say. In an article in Forbes, Pickens pledged to leave 90% of his net worth to charity when he died, said Jay Rosser, his longtime chief of staff. In 2006, Pickens formed his T. Boone Pickens Foundation, focusing on health and medical research and services, at-risk youth, and educational, entrepreneurial, political and athletic initiatives. Over the years, Pickens gave $2 million to the VNA Dallas’ Meals on Wheels. He spent many Christmas and Thanksgiving days delivering turkey dinners to recipients who had no clue who the delivery guy was. As Pickens left, he’d hand them a crisp hundred-dollar bill, saying it was from Santa Claus. While at OSU, Pickens worked as a roughneck and in a Texaco refinery. After graduating in 1951, he worked as a geologist for Phillips Petroleum for three years but got crosswise with the oil company’s bureaucracy. With $2,500 of borrowed money, Pickens and two investors formed an oil and gas firm that eventually became Mesa Petroleum, which he took public in 1964. Pickens built Mesa into one of America’s largest independent natural gas and oil companies. In 1996, Pickens was pushed out of Mesa in a messy power play after having served nearly four decades at its helm. Rather than retire, the 68-year-old launched a new career. “Walking out, I had a goal headline: ‘The Old Man Makes a Comeback,’” Pickens recalled in 2017. It was prescient. Pickens became a billionaire six years later. Pickens was a bit of a wildcatter at heart when it came to his personal life, too. All five of his marriages ended in divorce. His most recent, to Toni Chapman Brinker, widow of legendary Dallas restaurateur Norman Brinker, ended in 2017 after less than four years. In recent years, Pickens rekindled his relationship with his third wife, Nelda Pickens. Pickens had five children: Deborah Pickens Stovall, Pam Pickens, Michael Pickens, Tom Pickens and Liz Pickens Cordia; 11 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

The Daily World

Saturday, October 19, 2019



The musician and producer Ric Ocasek, whose singing, songwriting, style and demeanor as leader of Boston rock band the Cars helped define the American new wave movement of the late 1970s and early ’80s, has died. He was 75. Ocasek’s death was confirmed by the New York Police Department, which said that officers responding to a 911 call Sunday afternoon, Sept. 14, discovered him unresponsive at about 4 p.m. There were no signs of foul play, according to the Associated Press. Starting with the Cars’ self-titled debut album in 1978, the cool, lanky frontman and his band mates rushed the charts — and the nascent music video channel MTV — with a string of sleekly modern, ultra-catchy powerpop hits including “My Best Friend’s Girl,” “Let’s Go,” “Bye Bye Love” and “Shake It Up.” “The Cars had it all: the looks, the hooks, beat-romance lyrics, killer choruses, guitar solos that pissed off your parents, dazzling music videos,” Brandon Flowers of the Killers said last year when the Cars were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The honor capped a creative life known not only for work with the Cars and as a solo artist, but as a golden-eared aesthete who produced seminal recordings for New York synth-punk pioneers Suicide, Washington Afro-punk band Bad Brains and Los Angeles pop-punk band Weezer. Ocasek’s understated, awkward charisma was such that he married supermodel Paulina Porizkova at the peak of fame for both of them, and in doing so offered a way forward for unassuming singers less interested in the peacock antics of a Mick Jagger or Freddie Mercury. There was no need to flail about like a madman when an arched eyebrow and minimal hip shake could do the trick. The approach was successful. “If anything, I’m recognizable,” he said with typical understatement when asked about his 1980s ubiquity on MTV. That presence was hard-earned. By the time the artist born Richard Theodore Otcasek formed the Cars with Benjamin Orr, Greg Hawkes, David Robinson and Elliot Easton, he’d been working the Northeast circuit for years. Ocasek and Orr opened for proto-punk bands the Stooges and MC5 in the early ’70s and, later, recorded an album as part of a folk-rock outfit called Milkwood. The Cars formed in 1976 and, after earning Boston radio airplay for an early recording of “Just What I Needed,” soon signed with the respected label Elektra, where they

joined a roster that included Queen, Carly Simon, Harry Chapin and dozens of other ’70s rockers. Amid the longhairs still buzzing over the hippie thing, Ocasek’s half-spoken, coyly ambivalent delivery stood out, and suggested his avowed inspiration, Lou Reed, as channeled through a rockabilly crooner. Ocasek fawned over a former flame’s “nuclear boots” and “suede-blue eyes” on “My Best Friend’s Girl.” For “Bye Bye Love,” Ocasek highlighted a “wavy midnight” rich with “hidden innuendos” and “substitution, mass confusion, clouds inside your head.” The work thrust the so-called new wave of musicians inspired by the British and American punk movement into the mainstream. “The Cars” went multi-platinum and helped pave the way for bands such as the B-52’s, Devo and later R.E.M. to jump to major labels. After the Cars disbanded in 1988, Ocasek issued a number of solo albums, to modest success. When his longtime band mate and bassist Orr — who sang lead vocals on the band’s smash ballad “Drive” — died

in 2000, any hope of a full-fledged reunion passed too. Across social media, fans, peers and disciples posted loving tributes. Wrote Weezer, in part: The weezer family is devastated by the loss of our friend and mentor Ric Ocasek.” The band added, “We will miss him forever, & will forever cherish the precious times we got to work and hang out with him.” Country singer Jason Isbell quoted one of Ocasek’s best lines, from “Just What I Needed,” writing, “‘It doesn’t matter where you’ve been, as long as it was deep.’ There’s a #ricocasek lyric for you.” Tony Canal of Orange County ska-punk band No Doubt celebrated Ocasek as a producer. The Cars, wrote Canal, “shaped American new wave and paved the way for so many of us to follow. When we were making our ‘Rock Steady’ album, Ric was on our dream list of people we wanted to work with and that dream came true.” Canal called him “a true gentleman.” The appreciation for Ocasek’s craft extended far beyond the community of

successful artists, though. When the four surviving members reunited for “Move Like This” in 2010, the album debuted on the Billboard album chart at No. 7. Eight years later, the Cars performed a medley of their hits at the 2018 Rock Hall induction ceremony. From the stage, Ocasek thanked his grandmother first, for “forcing me to sing for her friends in the parlor when I was 5 years old.” She also bought him a Sears & Roebuck guitar when he was a teenager. “Then one day I heard a song on the radio called ‘That’ll Be The Day’ by Buddy Holly. So I started playing guitar then.” Thus inspired, the artist’s creativity ignited like a spark plug. “So many people are so … bored and won’t even … get out of their chairs to go look for something to do,” he told Creem magazine in 1983 of his drive for musical success. “You can’t rely on the rest of the world to take your hand, you know. You have to sort of get out and look for something to get involved in or just do it yourself.”


Saturday, October 19, 2019

The Daily World


Cokie Roberts, the pioneering journalist whose storied career included high-profile stints with NPR and ABC News, died Sept. 17 from complications of breast cancer, her family announced. She was 75. Three-time Emmy winner Roberts, a member of the Broadcasting and Cable Hall of Fame, launched her career as a freelance foreign correspondent for CBS Radio in the 1970s before joining National Public Radio in 1978. After moving to ABC, she co-hosted “This Week” with Sam Donaldson from 1996-2002, and served as a political commentator, chief congressional analyst and commentator over the decades. “Cokie Roberts was a trailblazer who transformed the role of women in the newsroom & our history books as she told the stories of the unsung women who built our nation,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tweeted. “Her warmth, wit and wisdom will be deeply missed by all.” A bipartisan pair of former presidents chimed in as well with praise for Roberts’ years of hard work in Washington under both Republican and Democratic administrations. “She will be missed, and we send our condolences to her family,” said President Barack Obama, noting her longevity during a four-decade stretch where the media landscape was constantly shifting. George W. Bush and wife Laura recalled Roberts as a talented, tough and fair reporter. “We respected her drive and appreciated her humor,” he said. “She became a friend.” NPR News Chief Nancy Barnes, in a note to the staff, honored Roberts for both the quality of her work and the way she broke down barriers while doing it. She recalled a lunch with Roberts, Nina Totenberg and Linda Wertheimer where the three shared stories of trying to find their way into

the business when opportunities for women were few and the pay lower than their male colleagues. “I was reminded then, as I am today, how much we all owe to Cokie and other pioneering women journalists,” wrote Barnes. The NPR newsroom planned a moment of silence in her honor Tuesday afternoon. When Roberts came to NPR in 1977, the news organization was barely known. She helped put the outlet on the national media radar, serving as congressional correspondent and contributing to “The MacNeil/Lehrer News Hour” on PBS. Roberts moved to ABC in 1988 to become a political correspondent with “World News Tonight,” and became a regular fill-in for host Ted Koppel on “Nightline.” She was also the author of a half-dozen books, with her latest — “Capital Dames: The Civil War and the Women of Washington, 1848-1868” — detailing the roles of prominent women in our nation’s capital across those two decades. Roberts was the daughter of Hale Boggs, the former

House majority leader from Louisiana, and Lindy Boggs, who succeeded her husband in Congress. Roberts instead opted to cover the family business from the outside looking in, working in Washington as a reporter. She was “first and foremost a wife, mother, sister, daughter, aunt, cousin and friend,” her family said in a statement. “We will miss Cokie beyond measure, both for her contributions and for her love and kindness.” Roberts won multiple awards during her career, including her selection as a “Living Legend” by the Library of Congress. ABC News president James Goldston remarked that her “kindness, generosity, sharp intellect and thoughtful take on the big issues of the day made ABC a better place and all of us better journalists.” Roberts was “a true pioneer for women in journalism, well-regarded for her insightful analysis of politics and policy in Washington, D.C., countless newsmaking interviews, and, notably, her unwavering support for generations of young women —and men —who would follow in her footsteps,” Goldston said. She was born as Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Boggs on Dec. 27, 1943, in New Orleans. She became Cokie when her brother Thomas had trouble pronouncing “Corrine.” Her dad served in Congress for more than 30 years before his plane disappeared in bad weather on a campaign flight to Alaska. Despite a 39-day search, none of the wreckage or victims were ever located. Her mother Lindy Boggs replaced him in the House and served 17 years, later stepping into the post of U.S. ambassador to the Vatican. Roberts is survived by her husband of 53 years, journalist Steven Roberts, her two children and six grandchildren. The family also thanked staff members of the National Institutes of Health for their “dedication, expertise, work and incredible care for Cokie during her illness.”


Singer-songwriter Eddie Money, a former New York police officer who became the hit-maker behind 1970s and ’80s songs including “Two Tickets to Paradise,” “Baby Hold On” and “Take Me Home Tonight,” has died. He was 70. The musician died Sept. 14 in Los Angeles, according to his publicist, Cindy Ronzoni. Money had stage 4 esophageal cancer. “The Money Family regrets to announce that Eddie passed away peacefully early this morning,” the family said in a statement. “It is with heavy hearts that we say goodbye to our loving husband and father. We

cannot imagine our world without him. We are grateful that he will live on forever through his music.” He had spoken last month about his stage 4 cancer diagnosis in a video clip from his AXS TV reality series “Real Money.” “I thought I was just going in for a checkup and (the doctor) told me that I got cancer,” he said of the doctor visit that came on the heels of a heart-valve replacement procedure he underwent in May, after which he developed pneumonia, forcing him to cancel a summer tour and a planned album release. “It hit me really, really hard. … What I don’t want to do is, I don’t want to keep the fact that I have

cancer from everybody. It’s not honest. I want to be honest with everybody. … “Am I going to live a long time?” he asked in the clip, in which his wife, Laurie, added that the cancer had spread to his liver. “Who knows? It’s in God’s hands.

But you know what, I’ll take every day I can get. Every day above ground is a good day.” Money logged many good days during his run as a pop musician, which developed when San Francisco-based promoter and talent manager Bill Graham discovered him in 1976 after he’d moved from New York and taken up residence in Berkeley, dabbling in student activism. Born Edward Mahoney on March 21, 1949, to a family of New York police officers, he said he was known around Berkeley as “Freddie Foodstamps,” which inspired him to change his surname to Money as a joke. Graham heard him sing at an amateur night

performance and took him under his wing. That led to a contract with Columbia Records, which in 1977 released his debut album, “Eddie Money,” a collection that reached only No. 37 on Billboard’s album chart but eventually sold more than 2 million copies, according to the Recording Industry Association of America. It spawned three hit singles: “Baby Hold On,” which reached No. 11 on Billboard’s Hot 100 singles chart, followed by “Two Tickets to Paradise” and a low-charting version of Smokey Robinson’s “You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me.” “Two Tickets” peaked at No. 22 but became a staple on FM rock radio in the late

’70s and a pop culture staple that earned him a spot singing the song’s hook to a bewildered family in a 2012 Geico insurance TV advertisement. His 1978 sophomore album, “Life for the Taking,” did better on the charts, rising to No. 17, the highest-charting album among the eight studio albums he released during his 15-year run on the charts. In 1987, he received a Grammy Award nomination for “Take Me Home Tonight.” He charted several more hits over the next half-dozen years, among them his final Top 10 single, “Walk on Water,” a 1988 hit, another staple he played as he continued touring over the next three decades.

Profile for Sound Publishing

ADW-In Memorium - In Memorium 10/19  


ADW-In Memorium - In Memorium 10/19