7,000 Jackpot
$
SUPER BINGO
SATURDAY, JANUARY 28TH Saturday Evening Bingo at 6pm
$600 regular game with (1,200 double win)
ON THE TRADITIONAL TERRITORY OF THE LHEIDLI T’ENNEH
Since 1916
BACKCOUNTRY BUILDING
Volunteers, grants driving activity
THURSDAY, January 5, 2023
PGCITIZEN.CA
PRINCEGEORGECITIZEN
PAGE 11
School district rehires former bus provider HANNA PETERSEN Citizen staff
Citizen staff
While Canadian Blood Services is appealing for donations across the country as the national blood supply is being depleted, residents in northern B.C. are unable to donate. Canadian Blood Services has lost around 31,000 regular donors since the beginning of the pandemic and since October the national blood supply has declined by over 35 per cent.
The donor base is now the smallest it has been in a decade, and while patients’ needs are being met, the agency warned, “this is not sustainable.” Residents have not been able to give blood locally since 2015 when the donor centre closed. The non-profit said decisions around where it collects blood are assessed nationally and based on many factors including the number of units collected, labour and transportation costs, distance and access to the nearest production site, and the need to operate an efficient blood system.
All the best for the New Year Wishing every day of the New Year be filled with success, happiness and prosperity for all of our friends, family and clients.
Gordon Hayward
CHS, EPC, CEA
Catherine Stovel
CHS, EPC, CEA
H/M Assoc. Financial Planning Centre (2005) Inc. Catherine Stovel Financial Inc.
“Your Financial Planning Center” In partnership with:
$2.00 5
HANNA PETERSEN
00200
Residents still can’t give blood
58307
Ness Lake polar bear dip on Sunday. Eighty-one people took the plunge, raising $31,858 for the Ness Lake Bible Camp.
250.563.8243
114 - 1717 3rd Ave. Prince George
0
SUBMITTED PHOTO
CALL OF DUTY Eric Depaneau, left, and members of the Rocky Mountain Rangers took part in the
School District No. 57 has announced a solution to its ongoing school busing issue. SD57 has now hired Diversified Transportation to service a number of routes previously under-serviced. Beginning in September Ohio-based company First Student, Inc., took over the school bussing contract from Diversified Transportation, which had been the SD57 busing contractor for the past 15 years. However, First Student Inc. was unable to find drivers for a number of SD57 routes and cited a nation-wide bus driver shortage. The lack of drivers left many routes under-serviced throughout the school year which forced parents to find alternative options to get their children to and from school. “Recognizing the importance of student attendance in student success, SD57 is pleased to share information about a solution to bussing challenges experienced by students and families during the beginning of the 2022/23 school year,” said SD57 Assistant Superintendent Lee Karpenko, in a news release. “Beginning January 2023 Diversified Transportation will be providing student transportation services for a number of previously under-serviced routes within SD57 to ensure that all eligible riders are able to access transportation.” Karpenko said route information will continue to be available on SD57 websites and both providers will be contacting bussing students and families with information related to stop locations and pickup/drop off times. “The District appreciates that both providers were willing to work with us to design a solution that puts students first and ensure that students are transported to and safely home from school each day.”