Skip to main content

Prince George Citizen January 21, 2021

Page 1

HUGE SITE C TURBINE RUNNER PASSES THROUGH CITY – PAGE 5 COLDSNAP LIVESTREAM EVENT SET TO WARM UP WINTER – PAGE 8

PRINCE GEORGE

0

58307

00200

MAIL DELIVERY UNDER REVIEW – PAGE 4

5

$2.00

Your community newspaper since 1916

Thursday, January 21, 2021

PGCITIZEN.CA

Mayor told of parkade cost hike in 2018

COVID-19 claims couple days apart TED CLARKE Citizen staff

ARTHUR WILLIAMS Citizen staff

A parade of horn-honking , light-flashing, siren-blaring people in their vehicles arrived at University Hospital of Northern BC on Saturday evening to salute health care workers inside. Tracy Glaicar was part of the parade to say thank you to hospital staff who tried their best to help her parents, John and Helen Eberherr, fight off the virus. Their COVID battle ended tragically in the first two weeks of 2021. John, 85, died of pneumonia on Jan. 5 and last Saturday morning, his broken-hearted wife Helen, 78, passed. They were married for 54 years and they died 11 days apart. “We don’t actually know who got it first, they kind of got it together – they did everything together,” said Glaicar. Helen called Tracy on Dec. 23 and told her John wasn’t feeling well and had lost his appetite. His health had been failing him ever since he had an allergic reaction to the anesthetic in a knee operation two years ago, which led to a heart attack. Helen, who walked every day around her College Heights neighbourhood for exercise, was in good health and when she told her daughter about John, Tracy suggested they get tested for COVID.

See THEY DID EVERYTHING on page 3

PRINCEGEORGECITIZEN

An email forwarded by former city manager Kathleen Soltis to Mayor Lyn Hall on July 4, 2018, warned that the city’s parkade project at Sixth Avenue and George Street would be significantly over budget.

HANDOUT PHOTO

Prince George couple Helen and John Eberherr got engaged within a week of meeting each other and were married a month later. Married for 54 years, they both became infected with COVID-19 just before Christmas and died this year within 11 days of each other at UHNBC.

The email, released to The Citizen on Friday through a Freedom of Information request, originally came from Frank Quinn of A & T Project Development Inc., the Park House condominium developer. Quinn emailed then-city general manager of planning and development Ian Wells on July 3, 2018, to let him know the project budget was in trouble. “We have been taking our drawings to market to price the parkade and we are seeing very large overruns from the rough budget discussed,” Quinn wrote. “Not only does it affect your cost of the parkade but it makes our formula for paying for parking so high that our units won’t sell.” Wells forwarded the email to Soltis on July 4, 2018, at 1:30 p.m. At 1:54 p.m. that day, Soltis forwarded the email to city director of finance Kris Dalio, Wells and an email listed as “Mayor.” “Heads-up. We’ll keep you informed as we know more,” Soltis wrote.

See WE’LL KEEP on page 3


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Prince George Citizen January 21, 2021 by Prince George Citizen - Issuu