EDITORIAL: MAYOR LYN HALL MUST RESIGN FOR PARKADE FIASCO – PAGE 8 DIANE NAKAMURA SAYS GOODBYE TO UNWANTED FRIENDS – PAGE 9
PRINCE GEORGE 0
58307
00200
TWO CHARGED IN WALMART ATTACK – PAGE 7
5
$2.00
Your community newspaper since 1916
Thursday, January 14, 2021
PGCITIZEN.CA
PRINCEGEORGECITIZEN
Two more dead at Jubilee
CITIZEN FILE PHOTO
The new downtown parkade in front of the Park House condominium project.
PARKADE COSTS HIT $34M; COUNCIL DEMANDS ANSWERS
City council wants more answers, and potentially a legal opinion, on how the cost overruns for the city’s new underground parkade at Sixth Avenue and George Street were approved. Coun. Brian Skakun said the timeline laid out in a report provided to city council on Monday doesn’t add up.
City administration was provided a detailed update from the developer in July 2018 with an updated cost estimate that put the cost at $20 million, instead of the initial estimate of $12.6 million, acting deputy city manager Ian Wells said. The final cost of the project, including the replacement and relocation of aging water
and sewer mains, came to more then $34 million, he said. However, on March 11, 2019, city council was presented the preliminary budget of $12.6 million to approve, Wells wrote in his report. See REAL TRAVESTY on page 3
TED CLARKE Citizen staff COVID is showing no signs it will stop creating nightmares for hospital patients, their families and friends, and medical staff at University Hospital of Northern BC struggling to keep the pandemic from worsening. For weeks now, Virginia Jenkins has been driving her friend, an elderly lady, to Jubilee Lodge at UHNBC so the woman can visit her husband, an 83-year-old man with advanced Alzheimer’s disease. As a resident of the 66-bed facility, the man became infected with the virus two weeks ago but is showing signs he might live through it. “He was up in his wheelchair (Sunday) and he had a cough that you would not even want to hear, it was awful, and after he coughed he cried,” said Jenkins, a retired pediatric nurse. “He’s making it through, so far. He was up in his wheelchair eating. He’s at 14 days now and if he makes it 20 days they say that’s a pretty good sign that he’ll survive it.” Not everybody has been so fortunate. Two more Jubilee residents died from COVID-19 over the weekend, raising the death toll to 14, as the outbreak continues. Since the outbreak was first announced Dec. 12, 48 of the 66 residents and 11 staff at Jubilee have tested positive for COVID-19. See SO SAD on page 3