EpaperLHR_22-2-2

Page 1

Wednesday, 2 February, 2022 I 29 Jamadi-al-Sani, 1443 I Rs 15.00 I Vol XII No 215 I 12 Pages I Lahore Edition

New medical report bars Nawaz from traveliNg to pakistaN

ISLAMABAD

a

staff report

new medical report of former premier Nawaz Sharif was submitted to the LHC on Tuesday. The report advised Nawaz Sharif not to travel to Pakistan owing to the possible health risks posed to him amid the ongoing Covid-19 crisis, which could result in further complications for him. As per the details, a three-page report was submitted by Advocate Amjad Pervez during a hearing of the Chaudhry Sugar Mills case, in which members of the Sharif family have been accused of being involved in money laundering. Dr Fayaz Shawl, director of the intervention cardiology department at Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical Centre in the United States and clinical professor of medicine at George Washington University, in the report submitted today stated that he had known the PML-N leader since June 13, 2004, when he had performed coronary intervention on him at King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre in Jeddah,

Saudi Arabia. He further stated that he had subsequently performed two more procedures on Nawaz at Dubai’s Zulekha Hospital on January 28, 2007. Additionally, the doctor said, he was “periodically updated by his (Nawaz’s) cardiologist in London, as well as by his personal physician, Dr Adnan”. Dr Shawl noted that the PML-N leader had undergone extensive investigations since he arrived in London in 2019, and the investigations confirmed that “he has significant ischemia (a condition in which the blood flow is restricted or reduced in a part of the body) in the distribution of his left circumflex artery”. As per the doctor’s recommendation, PML-N leader was supposed to undergo coronary angiography in order to “reassess his coronary anatomy so that appropriate therapeutic modality could be recommended before he returns to Pakistan”. Dr Shawl said depending on his angiography results, Nawaz may need “either complex coronary intervention […] or to again undergo

coroNavirus iN

pakistaN

CONFIRMED CASES:

1,430,366

LAST UPDATED AT 7:56 AM ON FEBRUARY 1, 2022

DAY'S DEATH TOLL:

NEW CASES:

32

5,327

RECOVERED:

DEATHS:

1,295,390 29,301 SINDH:

PUNJAB:

543,170

480,421

KPK:

BALOCHISTAN:

194,887

34,417

AJK/GB:

ISLAMABAD:

38,339/10,703

128,429

CABGS (coronary artery bypass graft surgery)”. However, he added, the procedures were “on hold” due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The doctor further recalled that Nawaz had had two episodes of non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction, a type of heart attack, during his stay in prison before he was allowed to travel to the UK. “Any further solitary confinement will have a negative effect […] on his health, both physically and psychologically,” Dr Shawl warned. He added that during his stay in London amid a pandemic crisis, Nawaz had been “managed medically and is under close surveillance”. “He has improved somewhat [because of] medical therapy but more so due to not being in solitary confinement,” he noted, adding that once the Covid-19 crisis was over, Nawaz should proceed with his “coronary angiography and possible angioplasty or again undergo CAGBS if the [former] intervention was not feasible”. As per the doctor’s suggestion, Nawaz should stay in London under the care of doctors with multiple specialties. “These facilities have provided him the best of care so far without further acute coronary syndromes, which he had sustained before his arrival to London,” he noted in the report. “Given the current Covid-19 crisis in the world, he should, by all means, avoid travelling and/or visiting public places like airport,” Dr Shawl advised, making particular reference to the possibility of the PML-N leader travelling to Pakistan. “In my opinion, until he undergoes coronary angiography, he should stay in close proximity to the facilities where he has been getting his treatment and the Covid-19 [pandemic ends]. His co-morbidities make him a ‘high-risk’ candidate for death, respiratory failure, etc., should he contract the Covid-19 infection,” he added.

CONTINUED ON PAGE 05

Imran assures S. Punjab of share in budget, job quota BAHAWALPUR app

Prime Minister Imran Khan on Tuesday said the government of his Pakistan Tehreek-iInsaf (PTI) party was committed to mitigating the deprivation of the people of southern Punjab by ensuring their due share in the development budget and employment opportunities. Addressing the launch event of the Naya Pakistan Qaumi Sehat Card, a universal health insurance initiative for Punjab, in Bahawalpur, he said the people of the south would be given their right of access to education, healthcare and development in accordance with the percentage of their population. The health card, providing Rs1 million in medical coverage per household annually, will benefit around 10.5 million people belonging to the districts of Rahim Yar Khan, Bahawalpur and Bahawalnagar. The prime minister termed the launch of the healthcare facility as a “landmark step” to accommodate the people bearing the burden of expensive medical treatment. He said the facility of health coverage was available in a few countries across the world where the government fully covered the medical expenses. In Pakistan, he said, the philosophy behind the health card was in line with the goals of a socio-welfare state of Medina,

No blanket autonomy for SBP in new bill: Qureshi

CONTINUED ON PAGE 05

more inside

Government announces nationwide doorto-door coronavirus vaccination drive

ISLAMABAD staff report

Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has said that making the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) independent is in line with economic responsibility. The foreign minister said this while speaking at the floor of the Upper House of the Parliament on Tuesday. He maintained that the State Bank of Pakistan (Amendment) Bill, which made the bank autonomous, has caused conflict and that he wants to put forth the government’s reasoning for backing the bill. “The prime minister has the power to appoint board members of the institution, and the impression that the institution has been enslaved is wrong,” Qureshi said. He emphasised that the SBP was and will remain a subject to the Senate. Qureshi lashed out at the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate Yousaf Raza Gillani and called him a “compromised leader” and a “sell-out”. He issued the statement while speaking in the Senate after Gillani, in his Senate speech on Monday, had said he was being accused by “turncoats”

adding it would prove a phenomenal step in the improvement of healthcare services. Khan said the card was a defining moment in encouraging the private sector to join the medical network especially in rural areas and creating an environment of competition for the public hospitals to improve their services. He said an amount of over Rs400 billion would be spent on health insurance programmes to meet the demands of the growing population. He said the programme would address the problems including the unavailability of doctors and paramedic staff at hospitals, especially in rural areas. The prime minister announced that he would soon visit Bahawalpur in near future regarding the further administrative measures concerning South Punjab Secretariat. Khan said the government was taking steps to improve economic stability and mentioned The Economist and Bloomberg ranked Pakistan among the top three countries that had effectively sustained economically during the Covid19 pandemic. He dismissed the “unreasonable” criticism of media that called the government “inefficient”, and said economic growth of 5.37 percent despite the pandemic situation could absolutely not be dismissed as inefficiency.

STORY ON PAGE 02

— in an apparent reference to FM Qureshi — of helping the government pass the SBP bill. During the January 28 session, when the SBP bill was passed, 12 members were absent, including Gillani and seven other members of the opposition, two from the government, and two from independent candidate Dilawar Khan’s group. Taking a jibe at Gillani for his absence, federal ministers and government officials had thanked him for “helping” the government pass the crucial SBP bill. In response, the PPP leader had announced his resignation from office on Mon-

day. On Tuesday, Qureshi said Gillani “lies”, and he will remain “glued” to the office of the leader of the opposition. “His resignation is nothing but a mere drama”. The foreign minister said the opposition leader should explain his absence from the Upper House of the Parliament, as his voters were not satisfied with his clarification. “He has stated that the bill was [added to the agenda overnight]. How could the opposition leader be so naive and unaware?” the foreign minister said.

CONTINUED ON PAGE 05

Sindh bound by Constitution to empower LG institutions, SC rules STORY ON PAGE 03

Turkmenistan FM, COAS Gen Bajwa discuss regional connectivity STORY ON BACK PAGE

Pakistan vows to strengthen bilateral ties with Turkey STORY ON BACK PAGE


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
EpaperLHR_22-2-2 by Pakistan Today - Issuu