Thursday, 10 February, 2022 I 8 Rajab, 1443 I Rs 15.00 I Vol XII No 223 I 12 Pages I Karachi Edition
‘Dacoit opposition’ joineD hanDs to evaDe prison in graft cases: imran
Faisalabad app
p
RIME Minister Imran Khan said the “dacoit politicians” in the opposition benches who looted the exchequer when their respective parties were in the government ganged up fearing being caught in cases of mega corruption registered against them. “The opposition leaders who had earlier vowed to ‘tear up each other’s bellies to recover looted money’ have now joined hands before any verdict is announced on their pending corruption cases,” he said while addressing at the launch of Qaumi Sehat Card in Faisalabad. Khan said his undeterred stance against corruption had put the opposition in a haste to save the corrupt mafia. He accused former president Asif Ali Zardari of “bribing people to buy their loyalties”, observing “this is all happening through stolen money.” “This is a loud and clear message to all
corrupt leaders that I will continue to fight against them,” he said, adding the country could not prosper until the weak and powerful was treated equally before the law. He said he had joined the politics 25 years ago to wage a war against the corrupt and vowed to ensure rule of law in the country. He quoted a hadith of Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H.) saying many earlier nations were destroyed where there was one law for the powerful and another for the weak. The prime minister said the foundation of prosperity and development of a nation was closely linked with rule of law. Khan said previous rulers used to travel abroad “even for the treatment of their cough”, but showed apathy towards the improvement of the health system for the people. Referring to the criticism of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) chairman Bilawal BhuttoZardari on the government’s healthcare scheme, he said his party in power in Sindh since 2008 remained incapable of bringing development in the province. “He [Bilawal] now says they will spend on
coronavirus in
pakistan
CONFIRMED CASES:
1,470,161
LAST UPDATED AT 8:41 AM ON FEBRUARY 9, 2022
DAY'S DEATH TOLL:
NEW CASES:
50
4,253
RECOVERED:
DEATHS:
1,354,298 29,601 SINDH:
PUNJAB:
554,012
491,518
KPK:
BALOCHISTAN:
205,505
34,910
AJK/GB:
ISLAMABAD:
41,068/10,987
132,161
hospitals rather than the health cards. But, who stopped them during their over 13year rule to take such steps for the facilitation of common man,” he questioned. He said such corrupt leaders looted money from the national exchequer and transferred it into benami accounts to hide their crimes. He said the healthcare programme was in line with the vision of the state of Medina that cared for the public. He said the programme was launched to accommodate the people in view of the expensive medical treatment that put an immense burden on them. He said the population ratio of doctors and nurses in Pakistan was very less compared with the rest of the world. The prime minister lauded Chief Minister Usman Buzdar, Minister for Health Dr Yasmin Rashid and their team on the launch of the insurance scheme. He said besides providing health facilities to women, the government would also ensure their right of inheritance. About his recent visit to China, he said progress on industrialisation was in top focus under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) and expressed confidence that it would boost trade activity in the country. Chief Minister Buzdar said around 1.5 million people of Faisalabad, Jhang, Toba Tek Singh and Chiniot would benefit from the programme. He said after its launch in Faisalabad Division, about 73 percent of households across Punjab would be able to claim the facility. Minister of State for Information Farrukh Habib said the card was a revolutionary programme providing free medical treatment facilities up to Rs1 million per family annually at selected public and private hospitals. Apart from Punjab, the programme has so far been launched in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Islamabad, Tharparkar, GilgitBaltistan and Azad Jammu and Kashmir.
Will eliminate remnants of terrorists, their abettors, accomplices whatever the cost: COAS islamabad staff report
Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa has ensured peace and stability in the country by stating that the terrorists’ “desperate attempts for revival” won’t be allowed to succeed. It is pertinent to note that last week in Balochistan, security forces killed 20 terrorists in clearance operations after they attacked two security camps in Panjgur and Naushki districts of the province. Nine security personnel were martyred while repulsing the attacks, according to ISPR. “We will eliminate all remnants of terrorists, their abettors and accomplices whatever is the cost,” the army chief was quoted by the military’s media, the ISPR, as saying while presiding over the 247th Corps Commanders’ conference at GHQ on Wednesday. According to a statement issued by the Inter-Service Public Relations, the forum was given a comprehensive briefing on security situation in the country especially on recent terrorism-related
Vawda disqualified for concealing dual nationality islamabad staff report
The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) disqualified Faisal Vawda as a member of the National Assembly after it found the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) senator concealed his American nationality at the time of contesting for a Lower House seat in the 2018 general elections. In a short order announced by the chief election commissioner Wednesday, the regulator also directed Vawda to return the pay and perks he received as a parliamentarian within two months. The ECP reserved its verdict on a set of petitions filed against the senator calling for his disqualification on December 23. Citing documents, a report published in The News in January 2020 claimed Vawda was a dual national at the time of filing his nomination papers to the commission to contest the NA-249 (Karachi West-II) seat. The report said he submitted his papers on June 11, 2018, which were approved a week later on June 18. But he applied for the renunciation of his nationality with the US consulate at Karachi four days later
incidents in Balochistan. The participants were apprised on the measures being undertaken to counter “hostile efforts to destabilise Pakistan”, it added. The COAS expressed satisfaction over operational preparedness of the formations and safeguards in place to thwart designs of inimical forces. “We have come a long way in our fight against terrorism. The armed forces, with the support of the nation, have conducted successful operations against terrorists of all hue and colour,” he was quoted as saying at the meeting. The COAS also paid tribute to the martyrs who gave ultimate sacrifice for the defence of the country while valiantly repulsing recent terrorist attacks in Balochistan and inflicting heavy losses on the enemy. COAS Bajwa also directed all formations to concentrate on maintaining high standards of basic military training to ensure effective execution of operations in conventional / sub-conventional domain.
CONTINUED ON PAGE 05
more inside
One hijab-clad girl exposed India’s politics, treatment of minorities: minister STORY ON PAGE 02
on June 22. He remained an American national even after the scrutiny of his papers was completed. The Supreme Court has ruled that candidates holding dual nationality are to submit a renunciation certificate of the foreign nationality along with their nomination papers. The petitions against Vawda were filed by Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) MP Qadir Mandokhail and two others in the ECP on January 21, 2020, calling for the parliamentarian’s disqualification. Later in 2020, a citizen, Dost Ali, also filed a similar petition against him, calling for his disqualification. Vawda resigned from his National Assembly seat in March last year hours before he
was elected to the Upper House. The verdict also withdrew the notification of his victory. It further said the vote Vawda cast in the Senate elections on March 10 as a member of the National Assembly was also “invalid”. Meanwhile, talking to media persons in Islamabad, Interior Minister Sheikh Rasheed said Faisal Vawda would move the Supreme Court (SC) over the disqualification verdict against him by the ECP. He said Federal Minister Ali Amin Gandapur’s brother, Umar Amin Gandapur, was also given a stay by the apex court yesterday. “There is no setback to the party. Faisal Vadwa will also move the SC in this regard,” he said.
Prime Minister to approve final CAD draft strategy STORY ON PAGE 03
Pakistan summons Indian envoy over hijab ban in Karnataka schools STORY ON BACK PAGE