EpaperISB_22-2-12

Page 1

Saturday, 12 February, 2022 I 10 Rajab, 1443 I Rs 15.00 I Vol XII No 225 I 12 Pages I Islamabad Edition

No-trust motioN agaiNst Pti to be tabled, coNfirms Pdm

P

AKISTAN Democratic Movement (PDM) President Maulana Fazlur Rehman announced on Friday that the opposition is all geared up to table a no-trust motion against PM Imran. He further revealed that the opposition will contact the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf government’s allies in the centre for this purpose. Fazl, while talking to reporters alongside PML-N leaders Shehbaz Sharif and Maryam Nawaz after a meeting of the PDM’s constituent parties in Lahore, stated that “all parties in the PDM have agreed on bringing a no-confidence motion against these illegitimate rulers and contacting the government’s allies in this regard” He further stated that the PDM would approach the government’s allies and ask them to end their association with the government. “[We will ask them] to have mercy on this country and nation, considering their impoverished condition,” he added. “[We will tell them] that remaining an ally of such a government was not politically and economically beneficial for the country.” When asked when the PDM planned to table the no-confidence motion, he replied: “We will first complete our homework.”

He elaborated that they needed to approach the government’s allies as their votes were needed to for tabling the no-confidence motion in the National Assembly. He went on to state that the opposition alliance would be forming a body, whose members would be decided later, for approaching the government’s allies and convincing on joining the PDM in tabling the no-trust motion. To another question, he clarified that they would not approach any individuals on the matter and only political parties. “We will not approach individuals. We will [only] talk to parties.” When asked about the PDM’s plan if the government’s allies would not join it, he said, “We will sit together.. Fazl added that the PDM would also not approach any PTI members and neither it would lure parties and people with the prospect of giving them seats in parliament. In regards to the PDM’s long march in Islamabad on Pakistan Day, he said the march would take place as had been decided and the alliance’s steering committee had been asked to work on its details. It is pertinent to note that the PDM’s announcement has come hours after PML-N

coroNavirus iN

PakistaN

CONFIRMED CASES:

1,477,573

LAST UPDATED AT 9:03 AM ON FEBRUARY 11, 2022

DAY'S DEATH TOLL:

NEW CASES:

39

3,498

RECOVERED:

DEATHS:

1,365,518 29,687 SINDH:

PUNJAB:

555,920

493,478

KPK:

BALOCHISTAN:

207,820

34,986

AJK/GB:

ISLAMABAD:

41,584/11,074

132,711

Information Secretary Marriyum Aurangzeb, during a presser, stated that opposition parties were deliberating on tabling a no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Imran Khan and the nation would “soon hear good news” in this regard. Aurangzeb also commented on the awards distributed by the PM among the best performing federal ministries. She stated that the ceremony showed that ministries that were mandated to provide relief to the masses had “failed miserably” as they were not among those recognised by PM Imran. “Ministries including health, defence, foreign affairs, economy and law have all failed,” she said. The PML-N spokesperson further lambasted the prime minister for allegedly using state machinery to put party President Shehbaz Sharif behind bars. She stated that PM Imran had recently appointed a new head of the Asset Recovery Unit, previously headed by former aide Mirza Shahzad Akbar, and tasked him with imprisoning Shehbaz within a few weeks. A day earlier, PML-N Vice President Maryam Nawaz stated that the situation for tabling a no-confidence motion against PM Imran was now “favourable”. The PML-N’s Central Executive Committee meeting on Monday remained unable to decide on moving a no-confidence motion against the PTI government, leaving it to supreme party leader Nawaz Sharif to take a call on the matter when he deemed appropriate. In a press talk in Islamabad on Thursday, Maryam admitted that Nawaz was initially not in favour of a no-confidence move against the government. But, she said, “party members pressed him that people’s wishes ought to be listened to as it is the only way to steer the country out of crisis.” As per the sources, former president Asif Ali Zardari and PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari had met PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif and Maryam last week in Lahore and pledged to weigh all options to send the premier home, including a no-confidence move and a joint long march. News Desk

CONTINUED ON PAGE 05

Punjab govt’s medical board rejects report on Nawaz’s health condition Punjab government’s medical board has refused to accept the report on former PM Nawaz Sharif’s health condition, as submitted in the Lahore High Court (LHC) earlier this month. The report restrained him from travelling to Pakistan without undergoing “definitive medical treatment”. Dr Fayaz Shawl had warned in the report that “if he [Sharif] returns to solitary confinement, he may develop what we call the takotsubo syndrome due to stressful environment” and it could have “devastating consequences” However, the nine-member medical board on Friday termed the report “incomplete”, while stating that the three-page report authored by Dr Shawal did not contain any laboratory tests or medical report of any health institution. It is pertinent to note earlier this month, Attorney General for Pakistan (AGP) Khalid Jawed Khan had written a letter to the Punjab Home Department, seeking a medical board’s opinion on Sharif’s health condition. The provincial government was requested to place the Jan 28 document, issued by Dr Fayaz Shawl from Maryland, US, before the medical board with a request to examine it and evaluate the “known and reported facts and public activities” of the for-

Tarin reveals details of $3bn funds received from Saudi Arabia Finance Minister Shaukat Tarin informed the Senate on Friday that Pakistan has to return $3 billion, that was placed in the State Bank of Pakistan’s (SBP) account following an agreement with the Saudi Fund for Development (SFD) in 2021, within a span of 1 year. Sharing the details of the deal during the Senate session today, Tarin said that the interest rate on the loan was four per cent which would have to be paid every three months. “Interest rates are rising across the world. The interest rate for the Saudi loan being four per cent is not something bad,” he said. He further added that the loan amount would have to be returned in one go, he added. The loan has been provided in accordance with Saudi laws, the finance minister further said. Tarin further explained that if there was a clause in the agreement to extend the loan repayment, “then it would have been written [in the accord] that an extension can be allowed for a year”. However, “we asked for a loan from Saudi Arabia only for a one-year period,” he added. “The Saudi government has told us that they can ask for their [entire] money back if Pakistan defaults at any point,” Tarin

mer premier to form an opinion. The AGP last month issued stern caution to Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) President Shehbaz Sharif that contempt proceedings will be filed against him in case he fails to provide medical reports of his elder brother and party supremo Nawaz Sharif within 10 days. The AGP office, in a letter, said as per the undertaking given by Shehbaz to the LHC, he was bound to provide regular “duly notarised” medical reports of his brother to the court. It was evident from the observations of the special medical board formed by the Punjab government to examine PML-N supreme leader’s medical reports, the letter pointed out, that Shehbaz has not fulfilled his obligation as per his solemn undertaking and order of the court. Earlier in November 2019, Nawaz left the country after he signed a court-approved undertaking, saying that he would return to the country within four weeks. Shehbaz too had signed an undertaking, that stated he would “ensure the return” of his brother “ within four weeks or on certification by doctors that he has regained his health and is fit to return back to Pakistan”. N e w s D e s k

more inside

BAP threatens to leave PTI govt over no representatio n in cabinet STORY ON PAGE 02

said. He assured the house that Pakistan “will not default”. Tarin also informed the Senate that Pakistan would start getting crude oil from Saudi Arabia on deferred payments from March. Saudi Arabia had also provided $3bn in cash deposits and promised a $3bn oil facility to Pakistan to help the latter shore up its foreign exchange reserves in 2018. However, as bilateral relations deteriorated later, Islamabad had to return $2bn of the $3bn deposits. The finance minister, while talking about petroleum prices, said that the government had tried not to pass the “full bur-

den” of the increase in international petrol rates, pointing out that sales tax and petroleum levy had been reduced to “provide relief for the masses”. He added that the SBP’s reserves had risen over the last year which would help decrease pressure on the rupee. Responding to another question, he said Pakistan had fulfilled 27 out of 28 conditions set by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF). “We have fulfilled our targets and hope the country will come out of the grey list in the next review meeting of the FATF,” he was quoted as saying in the report. N e w s D e s k

CONTINUED ON PAGE 05

Steps afoot to facilitate expatriates: PM STORY ON BACK PAGE

India’s SC refuses to hear hijab ban plea STORY ON BACK PAGE


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.