Thursday, 13 January, 2022 i 9 Jamadi-al-sani, 1443 i Rs 15.00 i Vol Xii no 196 i 12 Pages i islamabad edition
Pakistan rePorts over 2,000 fresh CoviD-19 Cases as fifth wave intensifies
P
AkISTAN reported over 2,000 fresh COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, resulting in the highest daily tally since September 23 as the highly transmissible Omicron variant intensifies across the country. According to details, a total of 2,074 new cases were recorded in the last 24 hours compared to 2,233 recorded on September 23. Fatalities also rose to double digits for the first time since December 21 when 10 deaths were confirmed. According to the National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC), the positivity rate increased to 4.7 per cent. The number of active cases rose to over 20,000 while 628 patients were in critical care. The counTRywiDe bReakDown DuRing The lasT 24 houRs: n Sindh: 1,402 cases, 9 deaths n Punjab: 445 cases, 2 deaths n Islamabad: 165 cases n khyber Pakhtunkhwa: 52 cases, 2 deaths n Azad Jammu and kashmir: 7 cases
Balochistan: 3 cases Gilgit-Baltistan did not confirm any new infections or deaths. As per the NCOC data, a worrying increase in city-wise positivity rates was also noted. karachi, which is emerging as the epicentre during the current wave, recorded a positivity rate of 20.22pc, followed by Mirpur at 10pc. The positivity rate in Lahore was recorded at 7.15pc while Islamabad and Rawalpindi’s were 4.56pc and 4.06pc, respectively. n
CONFIRMED CASES:
1,309,248
LAST UPDATED AT 8:34 AM ON JANUARY 12, 2022
13
2,074
RECOVERED:
DEATHS:
1,259,699 28,987 SINDH:
PUNJAB:
490,010
448,924
KPK:
BALOCHISTAN:
181,842
33,664
AJK/GB:
ISLAMABAD:
34,715/10,433
CONTINUED ON PAGE 05
President Arif Alvi has fully recovered after he tested positive for COVID-19 about six days ago. The president announced he tested negative for the virus because of the grace of Allah. “With the grace of Allah, Al Rahman Al Raheem [and] Al Shafee, and with your prayers, which I believe always have an effect, I have come out of COVID19 Omicron version, and have tested negative. Alhamdulillah,” Alvi wrote on Twitter. On January 6, the president tested positive for the virus second time after having a sore throat. Shedding light on his condition, he had said: “I have tested [positive] for COVID again. Had a sore throat since 4-5 days [and] was getting better. Felt mildly feverish for a few hours two nights ago. No other symptoms.” The president earlier tested positive for COVID-19 in March 2021. news desk
Pakistan
NEW CASES:
karachi is lagging in the vaccination effort, however, as it emerged on Tuesday that over 40pc of the population was still waiting for their first dose of vaccine. According to health department officials, the vaccination target was not being met as planned and 90pc of the patients currently being treated in the Covid-19 wards were unvaccinated. Realising the growing number of Covid cases, Sindh Health Minister Dr Azra Pechuho chaired a meeting on Tuesday to share her concern over the fact that a significant number of people had not received their first dose yet. The meeting decided a series of steps to make the vaccination campaign effective and that action would be taken against wedding halls, shopping malls and factories violating standard operating procedures (SOPs). The meeting also decided that a doorto-door vaccination micro-plan would be made to vaccinate people, particularly housewives, at home for which lady health workers would be hired. The first phase of the drive would cover karachi, Sukkur and Larkana and the second would cover karachi again, Hyderabad and Shaheed Benazirabad. Earlier in November, Umar and Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Health Dr Faisal Sultan had sounded the alarm, saying that the arrival of the Omicron variant was inevitable and a matter of time. news desk
President Alvi recovers from COVID-19 Omicron variant
Coronavirus in
DAY'S DEATH TOLL:
Fawad says ‘usman Mirza, shahrukh Jatoi cases are a challenge for justice system’
109,660
Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry on Wednesday stated that it is the state’s duty to bring high-profile cases of Usman Mirza, Sharukh Jatoi and the Lahore-Sialkot motorway gangrape to a logical conclusion. He further stated that such cases are more like “challenges for the justice system” The minister took to his Twitter to question as to “why aren’t these cases being heard on the daily basis,” while adding that “the prosecution and the court should fulfil their responsibility” It is pertinent to note that the minister’s statement came as a response to a tweet of media person Maria Memon in which she said the state should be the plaintiff in such cases because “the whole society has been psychologically affected by the terror of this incident!” Memon was referring to the report published yesterday, which mentioned that the victims in the couple harassment case retracted their statement against the accused, including the main suspect Usman Mirza. As per the details, the couple in their written affidavit told the trial court that they did not want to pursue the case against Mirza and co-accused Hafiz Ataur Rehman, Adaras Qayyum Butt, Rehan, Umar Bilal Marwat, Mohib Bangash and Farhan Shaheen. On the retraction of the statement, journalist Rauf klasra claimed in a tweet that according to police sources, a deal of more than Rs10m was made for reconciliation between the defendant and the prosecution. “All the hard work of the police has been turned upside down,” he added. It is pertinent to note that in
PDM to finalise long march plan on January 25: Fazlur Rehman ISLAMABAD staff RepoRt
Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM) Chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman said on Wednesday said that the opposition alliance would finalise its plan to take out long march towards federal capital on January 25 in a special sitting of the alliance. Addressing a press conference, flanked by the Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly Shahbaz Sharif, Fazl said: “We don’t give Prime Minister Imran khan and his government the right to re-colonise an independent state.” Shedding light on the agenda of the meeting which is to be held on January 25, he said that the anti-government alliance parties are considering options for “the immediate dismissal of the incumbent government.” He also asked the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) should not make itself “controversial,” adding that the commission “should not be enslaved.” The JUI chief said that the long march announced against the government has become inevitable and the
July last year, the accused had been booked and chargesheeted after they were arrested for stripping the couple naked, torturing them in Sector E-11 of Islamabad and later uploading their video on social media. Separately, on Monday it was reported that Shahrukh Jatoi, the murder convict of the 2012 Shahzeb murder case, was living a “lavish life” on the upper floor of a little-known private hospital in karachi’s Gizri area on the pretext of medical treatment. His presence at the hospital was only known through a leaked video. Following the release of the video, the jail authorities moved Shahrukh back to the prison. Home department sources stated that a senior official of the Sindh government played a role in transferring the murder convict from prison to hospital under the guise of medical treatment. news desk
more inside
state would pursue prosecution after couple retracts sexual assault claim: MP STORY ON PAGE 02
PDM will march towards the capital on March 23 in a bid to oust the PTI-led government. He, however, added that the long march plan will be finalised during the all-party session scheduled to be held on January 25. “The government does not realise the grievances of the common man,” he said, adding that the “entire nation will participate in this anti-government march.” “We appeal the coalition parties of the government to think in the national interest of Pakistan and about common
people,” Fazl said, adding that the PDM wants to keep Pakistan’s have a “free economy.” Speaking on the occasion, the PML-N president said that in the 74-year history of Pakistan, “the PTI government is the most incompetent one to ever come to power,” adding that the country is undergoing the “most difficult period.” Shahbaz mentioned that during his meeting with Fazl, both of them also discussed the no-confidence motion and this issue will be further highlighted in the meeting later this month.
CONTINUED ON PAGE 05
eCommerce to enhance exports, strengthen digital economy: SAPM Aon Abbas STORY ON PAGE 03
PM khan lauds isi’s efforts for national security, stability STORY ON BACK PAGE