Saturday, 27 November, 2021 I 21 Rabi-us-Sani, 1443 I Rs 15.00 I Vol XII No 149 I 12 Pages I Islamabad Edition
Police fire tear gas on citizens Protesting outside nasla tower
P
oLICE and Rangers fired tear gas and initiated baton-charge on residents and builders staging protest outside Karachi’s Nasla Tower which is a 15-storey residential building located at the intersection of Shahrah-i-Faisal and Shahrahi-Quaideen, against the demolition orders by the Supreme Court. It is pertinent to note that the SC has given directive to the authorities to demolish the building for land encroachment meant for a service road. The Association of Builders and Developers of Pakistan (Abad) had organised the protest, earlier today. Earlier, Abad Chairman Mohsin Sheikhani requested the government to inform the association who the “final authority” was for seeking building approvals. He went on to state that the association would be halting all projects in Karachi. He had claimed that despite getting approvals from government agencies, the documents stood “null and void”. on the other hand, Karachi police has denied the allegations that officials resorted to violence against any citizen
and stated that law enforcement officials were deployed to protect people’s lives and property. Spokesperson of Karachi police went on to state that officials only tried to stop people from blocking the road, As per a statement by SSP (South), officials were trying to restore peace and stated that tear gas shells were being used in an effort to disperse the crowd of protesters. SSP (East) Qamar Raza Jiskani stated that the protestors allegedly tried to take the law into their own hands and attempted to block Shahrah-i-Faisal near Nursery roundabout. “The police and paramilitary force took action and dispersed the crowd,” the senior officer stated. It is pertinent to note that traffic remained suspended on the road that links the city with the airport and the national highway. Contrary to the statement of the police, the Abad chairman claimed that at least 20 to 25 people were injured in the incident. He added that the people were staging a peaceful protest when the whole
coronavirus in
Pakistan
“drama” started. “They baton-charged us, hit people and used tear gas,” Sheikhani said, adding that the business community staging the protest had wanted to communicate its point of view through a peaceful demonstration. When asked about any talks or assurance by the government, he replied that no talks had been held and neither had they received any kind of assurance. “[Instead] they are hitting people […] I don’t know what they want.” He called for the government to take initiative and devise a policy regarding the matter and “regularise things”. NASLA TOWER CASE: In a previous judgement on the legality of the ownership of the land, the court had said: “It is claimed that around 1957, the main road that was proposed to be 280 feet wide was realigned and as a result, its width was reduced to 240 feet and the excess 40 feet was allotted to SMCHS through a letter by the chief commissioner in December 1957.” It further noted the additional area was claimed to have been allotted by SMCHS to one Mustafai Begum and the area of the plot was allegedly increased from 780 square yards to 1,044 square yards and the additional area was neither incorporated in the original/amended lease nor in any subsequent lease deed. The present owner ultimately acquired it by way of a conveyance deed executed in 2015 and initially, the plot in question was meant for residential purposes, but in 2004 the then city government through a resolution allowed conversion of all residential plots on Sharea Faisal for commercial use and in 2007 the plot was converted from residential to commercial use, it added. The owners of the tower claimed that the additional area was allotted by SMCHS through a resolution in 2010 and the same came to be included in the total area of the plot while the mukhtiarkar in his report said that SMCHS had illegally increased the size of the plot by allotting the land reserved for the service road, the order said. News Desk
CJP grills defence secretary over commercial use of military land Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Gulzar Ahmed jeered at the defence secretary on Friday, over commercial use of military land. The CJP asked the government official whether cinemas and wedding halls were built for defence purposes. It is pertinent to note that earlier today, a three-judge bench headed by the chief justice and comprising Justice Qazi Mohammad Amin Ahmed and Justice Ijazul Ahsan was hearing the issue of military lands being used for commercial purposes at the Supreme Court’s Karachi registry. The Defence Secretary retired Lt Gen Mian Mohammad Hilal Hussain was asked by the CJP about the activities being conducted on military lands. “This land was given to you for strategic and defence [purposes and yet] you have started commercial activities on it,” he stated. “Were wedding halls, cinemas and housing societies built for defence purposes?” CJP Ahmed added. “We have decided that this will not happen again,” the defence
PTI's Aleem Khan to resign as Punjab minister
CONFIRMED CASES:
1,283,475
NEW CASES:
7
252
RECOVERED: SINDH:
PUNJAB:
474,818
442,804
KPK:
BALOCHISTAN:
179,855
33,467
AJK/GB:
ISLAMABAD:
34,540/10,411
107,580
more inside
IHC dismisses contempt petition against PML-N leaders for ‘scandalising’ former CJP Lt Gen Nigar becomes first-ever female Col Commandant of AMC
DEATHS:
1,241,289 28,697
CONTINUED ON PAGE 05
STORY ON PAGE 02
LAST UPDATED AT 7:49 AM ON NOVEMBER 26, 2021
DAY'S DEATH TOLL:
secretary said, adding that the construction of housing societies and commercial use of military land would be checked and stopped. The CJP went on to comment that colonels and majors were acting like kings. “What the colonels and majors desire, happens,” he stated. “Go and tell all the chiefs [of the armed forces] that the land meant for defence purposes will not be used for commercial objectives. Go to all the military cantonments and tell them the land will be used only for strategic purposes,” CJP Ahmed gave directive to the defence secretary. The bench asked Hussain whether he had a written report regarding the matter, at which the secretary requested more time to submit the same. The CJP further stated that commercial activities were underway at Masroor Base and Faisal Base and tall buildings had been erected when orders were given to remove signboards. News Desk
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI)’s senior leader Aleem Khan on Friday announced that he is resigning as Punjab Minister for Food. The minister, in a meeting with Prime Minister Imran Khan, persuaded him to accept his resignation so that he could “maintain neutrality” while running his news channel. Following approval of resignation from Prime Minister Imran Khan, Aleem made the announcement regarding his resignation on Twitter.
“In order to maintain neutrality, it is important for me to not hold any government post,” Aleem stated while adding that he hoped that the Punjab government would also accepts his resignation. The minister stated that he is “grateful” that the PM has accepted his request, and that he will now send his resignation to the CM Punjab. Earlier according to a notification, CM Buzdar had given the food ministry to the re-inducted cabinet member, who
had taken oath at the Governor House. Punjab Governor Chaudhry Muhammad Sarwar had administered the oath to the minister, who had ealier stepped down from his post after facing detention by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) for an investigation into allegations of corruption. It is pertinent to note that the PTI leader was assigned the portfolio of food ministry and designated as Senior Minister of Punjab in April last year. News Desk
STORY ON BACK PAGE
ECP seeks funds from govt for EVMs STORY ON PAGE 03
PM for early conclusion of PakUzbek PTA STORY ON BACK PAGE