Friday, 21 January, 2022 I 17 Jamadi-al-Sani, 1443 I Rs 15.00 I Vol XII No 204 I 12 Pages I Karachi Edition
Lahore bLast Leaves three martyred, 20 injured
Former judge Rana Shamim indicted in affidavit case ISLAMABAD staff report
LAHORE
a
staff report
powerful bomb went off in a crowded Anarkali market in Lahore on Thursday, killing at least three people and wounding 20 others. Forensic teams are investigating the blast and initial reports point towards the use of an improvised explosive device (IED). However, DIG Abid Khan said initial investigation suggested that it was an IED attack as a crater was created by the explosion. An eyewitness account claimed that an individual parked a bike at the spot of the incident and crossed the road moments before the explosion. A large number of law enforcement officials reached the incident site and cordoned the area. Commissioner Lahore stated that the injured were shifted to Mayo Hospital and five were in critical condition. He added that more details
will be shared after the forensic analysis is completed. “The bomb disposal squad has initially informed that this was a high explosive device,” the commissioner added. A nine-year-old boy is among the three dead. Later, an injured – identified as Yasir Ali, 16-year-old, s/o Allah Ditta and resident of Rahim Yar Khan – succumbed to his injuries. A first information report (FIR) of Lahore Anarkali blast has been registered on complaint of inspector Abid Baig at CTD Lahore police station. NOT GOOD OMEN: Prime Minister Imran Khan has condemned the incident and expressed regret over the lives lost. He has instructed concerned authorities to provide the best medical aid to the injured and asked the Punjab government to submit a report on the incident. Chief Minister Usman Buzdar also condemned the attack. “Those responsible for the blast will be arrested soon and brought
to justice,” said CM Buzdar. He said it was a “vicious act” to sabotage the law and order of the province. Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly Shehbaz Sharif condemned the incident. He said that the loss of precious lives in Anarkali, a lively and historic area of Lahore, was deeply saddening. “Innocent children and poor people were the victims of the tragedy.” In June last year, three people died and 21 others, including women and children, sustained injuries when an explosives-laden vehicle exploded near the house of Hafiz Saeed, leader of the banned Jamaatud-Dawa (JuD), in Lahore’s Johar Town neighbourhood. According to investigators, around 25-30 kilogrammes of explosives could have been used in the blast, as it had left a three feet deep and five feet wide crater at the spot, while shrapnel flew as far as 500 metres.
CONTINUED ON PAGE 05
The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Thursday indicted former Gilgit-Baltistan top judge Rana Muhammad Shamim in a contempt case pertaining to a news report on an affidavit, accusing former chief justice of Pakistan Saqib Nisar of bias against members of the Sharif family. Earlier, Jang Group Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mir Shakeel ur-Rehman, The News Editor Aamir Ghauri, and its reporter Ansar Abbasi were also nominated in the case. In November last year, Shamim claimed Nisar did not want former prime minister Nawaz Sharif and his daughter Maryam Nawaz to be released on bail ahead of the general elections in July, 2018. The IHC had initiated proceedings against Shamim and others after an affidavit was published in a national daily that accused former chief justice Saqib Nisar of influencing the case against former premier Nawaz Sharif and his daughter Maryam Nawaz. On January 15, the IHC had summoned Shamim, bureau chief of a national daily Amir Ghauri and investigative reporter Ansar Abbasi on January 20 for indictment in the contempt of court case. In today’s hearing, Rana Shamim, owner of the newspaper, Abbasi and Attorney General of Pakistan (AGP) Khalid Javed Khan appeared before the court.
At the onset of the hearing, Chief Justice Athar Minallah ordered to frame the charges first and then proceed with the rest. According to the chargesheet, Rana Shamim had claimed that the affidavit was notarised, sealed and handed over to his grandson; however, the affidavit was received via a courier service. The sheet added that the former CJ had alleged that the affidavit was leaked from a notary public, yet Rana Shamim did not initiate any action against notary public or Ansar Abbasi. During the hearing, the judge told Shamim that he “tried to scandalise the court and influence a pending case.” “All allegations against you have been read out in the open court. What do you have to say?” Rana Shamim was asked while being indicted. Justice Minallah further asked Shamim if he admits to the charges framed against him. To this, the former G-B top judge admitted to certain charges but denied others. Shamim made an impassioned plea in front of the judge and asked to be hanged if the court considered him guilty. The chief justice stated that the published article was not related to Saqib Nisar but to the IHC. “People are being told that the judges of this court were compromised,” the judge stated, adding that a case was fixed for a hearing two days after the news was published. “We have nothing to hide and have nothing to do with Saqib Nisar or anyone else,” he said.
CONTINUED ON PAGE 05