Sunday, 20 February, 2022 I 18 Rajab, 1443 I Rs 15.00 I Vol XII No 233 I 12 Pages I Lahore Edition
Cabinet approves ordinanCe to amend CyberCrime law: Fawad islamabad
F
staff report
EDERAL Minister for Information and Broadcasting Fawad Chaudhry said on Saturday that the federal cabinet had given the approval for a presidential ordinance to amend the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act (PECA), 2016. He said the approval for the ordinance was obtained through circulation. The minister said under the amendments, defaming individuals on social media would be declared a punishable offence and courts would be obliged to give a verdict on cases registered under PECA within six months.
Chaudhry shared this earlier in a tweet as well, saying that the federal cabinet’s approval had been sought for the amendments. PECA was passed by the National Assembly in 2016 amid the opposition’s protest. The PML-N, which was in the government at the time, had used its majority to bulldoze the controversial bill. The opposition, meanwhile, criticised the legislation for giving the executive what it called sweeping powers that could be misused against anyone and further curb freedom of expression in the country.
CONTINUED ON PAGE 05
Sanaullah optimistic of winning no-trust move against govt PML-N Punjab President and MNA Rana Sanaullah on Saturday seemed confident that the opposition’s planned no-trust move against the Imran Khan-led government will be successful. Speaking to the media after appearing before a court in a drug case, he said the government has a razor-thin majority in Centre as well as in Punjab. “There is a difference of only five to seven numbers in Centre and Punjab. The no-trust move will be successful,” Sanaullah said. He also condemned the murder of journalist Athar Mateen at the hands of robbers in Karachi on Friday.
Earlier, the court put off the drug recovery case against him and co-accused until March 12 due to the absence of judge Mohammad Naeem Shaikh. Rana was arrested in July, 2020 by the Anti-Narcotics Force (ANF). The ANF had claimed that 15 kilogrammes of drugs were recovered from the PML-N leader’s car. He was later released on bail in December of the same year. Though the ANF has already filed the chargesheet against the suspects, the court has yet not framed charges against them despite the passage of more than two years since the registration of the case. news desk
CONTINUED ON PAGE 05