An Annual Publication of the Nantucket Preservation Trust Vol. XIâ€¢ 2017
K at h l e e n H a y D e s i g n s
a wa r d - w i n n i n g i n t e r i o r d e s i g n f i r m H o n o r i n g N a n t u c k e t â€™ s E x c e p t i o n a l H e r i ta g e 508.228.1219
Susan Zises Green Interior Design & Decoration, ASID
161 East 35th Street, New York, NY 10016 T. 212.710.5388 F. 212.710.5399 www.susanzisesgreen.com
The NPT was founded in October 1997 by a group of islanders concerned about the future of Nantucket’s historic architecture. Over the years, the organization has developed advocacy and educational projects, including an islandwide house-marker program, house histories, and preservation easements. NPT has also supported the education of craftsmen in traditional building methods through a scholarship program. In addition, NPT has undertaken critical projects to assist in preservation recognition and islandwide protection such as the 2013 National Historic Landmark update and the ongoing interior-survey program to develop a baseline of the island’s remaining historic interiors. As we complete our twentieth year, NPT begins a new e ducational initiative—the Nantucket Preservation Symposium—to explore Nantucket’s Golden Age through its architecture, interiors, and historic landscapes. We hope this program can bring national recognition to the island’s historic resources, build on local preservation activity, and assist in our work on island. To highlight the topics to be discussed at the symposium, we are dedicating this year’s Ramblings to exploring the architecture and history of Nantucket’s whaling heyday—a time of change that is reflected in Nantucket life today. We also will review our accomplishments of the past year and provide an overview of our day-to-day work. We hope you enjoy this issue and urge you to contact us about your preservation questions and to join us in our effort to promote and protect Nantucket—a national treasure.
Michael May, Executive Director The Nantucket Preservation Trust advocates for, educates about, and celebrates the preservation of the island’s rich architectural heritage.
For more information, please visit us at: 55 Main Street, Third Floor • P.O. Box 158, Nantucket, MA 02554 508-228-1387 www.nantucketpreservation.org Ramblings is provided at no cost to our members, island property owners, and visitors. Please recycle this publication by passing it along to a friend. Printed with soy-based ink on paper stock with 10% post-consumer recycled content that is grown and manufactured in the USA and is sustainable forest certified. 4
Nantucket to New York
Providing a level of service unique in today’s world, Lydia can help you navigate any sized transaction with personal care that extends way beyond the closing. Lydia Sussek, luxury service at every price, in any season, from Nantucket to New York...
• Senior Global Real Estate Advisor • Member of the Multi-Million Dollar Club • Full-Service in Sales, Foreign investment, Rentals, Commercial and Residential Property Purchasing and Negotiation • Cartus-certified broker qualified to work with Fortune-500 Executives and top international Relocation firms from around the world • Market expertise - with experience and referrals, ranking in top 1% out of 48,000 NRT brokers nationwide • Member of Corcoran Cares • Winner 2011 REBNY Deal of the Year The Lydia Sussek Associati Team at The Corcoran Group I Licensed RE Salespersons m: +1.917.721.7853 I email@example.com Equal Housing Opportunity. The Corcoran Group is a licensed real estate broker located at 660 Madison Ave, NY, NY 10065. Real estate agents affiliated with The Corcoran Group are independent contractor sales associates and are not employees of The Corcoran Group.
ANTOINE BOOTZ FOR COMFORT ZONE / POINTED LEAF PRESS
RESTORING classic style
Trudy Dujardin, ASID, LEED Accredited Professional +ID + C
Eco-Elegant interiors by award-winning Dujardin Design. Restoring rooms from the past to last a lifetime.
508.228.1120 Nantucket, MA. | 203.838.8100 Westport, CT. | dujardindesign.com
NPT Board of Directors Executive Committee Ken Beaugrand, Chair David Brown, President Michael Ericksen, Vice President Anne Troutman, Vice President Al Forster, Treasurer Caroline Ellis, Secretary
Directors Samuel Bailey Michelle Elzay Andrew Forsyth Mark Godfrey Susan Zises Green Barbara Halsted Carol Kinsley Michael Kovner Mary-Adair Macaire Angus MacLeod Thomas Maxwell Mundy Dennis Perry Mickey Rowland Esta-Lee Stone Marie Sussek Pam Waller
Staff Michael May Executive Director Marisa Holden Marketing Director Melany Cheeseman Administration Director
Vol. XI • 2017
Table of Contents
Did You Know? Preservation Month
’Sconset’s Golden Age Cottages Preservation Awards Honoring Our 2017 Award Recipients
NPT Summer Lecture and Luncheon With Brent Hull
August Fête: Giddy Up!
Preservation Tools 42 Preservation Practices in Action: 86 Main Street Historic-Interior Survey Sherburne Hall: A Brief History Mark Your Old House: NPT House Markers Walking Tours NPT’s Architectural Preservation Fund: Mary Helen and Michael Fabacher Scholarship Clarissa Porter Preservation Easement Fund
Henry Ian Pass, Esq., Counsel
Photography Jeffrey Allen Kathleen Hay Isabelle Hay Gary Langley Michael May Brian Pfeiffer
Kathleen Hay Designs
A Year in Review: Facts and Figures
NPT Membership Information
Ramblings echoes the spirit of a guide first published in 1947 titled Rambling through the Streets and Lanes of Nantucket, by Edouard A. Stackpole. Cover photo courtesy of Gary Langley Historic images courtesy of the Nantucket Historical Association Copyright © 2017 Nantucket Preservation Trust
Photo by Isabelle Hay
Let us show you What’s possible The Nantucket Preservation Trust NPT is a membership nonprofit organization dedicated to the protection of Nantucket’s sense of place. OUR BELIEF Nantucket’s historic architecture is a unique and valuable asset that makes the island special. OUR GOAL To preserve Nantucket’s architectural heritage for present and future generations to enjoy. OUR HOPE That you will join us in working to p reserve our past. OUR PROGRAMS
Apprenticeships • Architectural Studies • Architectural Lectures • Architectural Preservation Fund • August Fête • Brief Histories, House Genealogies, and Comprehensive House Histories • Historic District Commission Testimonies • Historic House and Kitchen Tour • Historic Research • House Consultations • House Markers • House Resource Assistance • Interior Surveys • Landmark History Books • Main Street Architectural Walking Tour • Nantucket Preservation Symposium • Neighborhood Book Series • Preservation Awards • Preservation Easements • Preservation Month Programs • Private Walking Tours • Ramblings • Resource Guide • Scholarships • ’Sconset Walking Tour • Summer Luncheon and Lecture Series • Traditional Building Methods Demonstrations
Jenks Map showing extent of the 1846 Great Fire
Nantucket’s Golden Age was a time of great change on island. We thought we would share with you some facts and figures about this remarkable period of the island’s history. More than eighty-four whaling ships called Nantucket home in the early 1840s. The typical whaleship had only 15–25 crew members, and captains were known to bring their families on the long Pacific voyages. During the Golden Age of whaling, more than twenty South Pacific islands were discovered by Nantucketers. A host of businesses supported the Nantucket whaling trade at home, including ship builders, sail makers, cordage and ropewalks, and cooperages for production of barrels. Much of this work was completed in the Commercial Wharf area, but artisans often had shops behind their houses. Today, only a handful of these secondary buildings remain. The Great Fire of 1846 was preceded by a fire in 1838 that destroyed several warehouses and businesses. As a result, a whale-oil storage facility on Washington Street (now known as the American Legion building) was built of brick for fire protection. 11
THE NANTUCKET SUMMER ANTIQUES SHOW at The Boys and Girls Club of Nantucket 61 Sparks Avenue, Nantucket
August 11 - 14, 2017 The Antiques Council Supports The Preservation Trust
ANTIQUES COUNCIL An International Organization of Antiques Dealers
w w w. a n ti qu e s c ou nc il . co m www.nantucketsummerantiquesshow.com
The majority of the houses in town were built during the whaling heyday. The most common house form evolved from the Typical-Nantucket house popular from the mid- eighteenth century to the first quarter of the nineteenth century, to Federal and Greek Revival houses of the 1830s and ’40s that were more reflective of mainland architecture. The “Two Greeks”––94 and 96 Main Street––were the last of the Golden Age mansions; built in the mid 1840s and completed just as Nantucket’s economy started to suffer from a decline in whaling and the aftermath of the Great Fire of 1846. The vacation spot for islanders during the whaling heyday was ’Sconset. Main Street ’Sconset became the most fashionable area of the village, and many Main Street town residents built vacation homes there. The Atlantic House in ’Sconset, like the Two Greeks, was built as the island’s Golden Age came to an end. In 1849, gold was discovered in California and many Nantucketers left to strike it rich. The island’s population decreased from a high of about ten thousand during the peak of the Golden Age to four thousand by 1860. This population decline created an abundance of housing. There was no need or market for new construction, so very few b uildings were constructed from 1850 to the mid-1870s. 13
Did You Know?
ot only is the blind fanlight the logo of the NPT, it serves as a symbol of N antucket’s whaling heyday. Although blind f anlights were first employed in Georgian architecture in E ngland and were found in America by the mid-eighteenth century, they were not common on N antucket until the early 1800s when new architectural styles b ecame p opular due to the wealth created by the whaling industry. Blind fanlights became a c ommon feature of late Federal architecture and are often found above doorways on houses built in the 1820s and 1830s. A blind is made of louvered panels and was meant for d ecorative purposes. A blind fanlight did not c over glass, but it gives the illusion that a glass fanlight would be found behind it. Perhaps the cost of glass or the lack of h eadroom in the interior hallway made the blind f anlight a good option for new homes c onstructed during this era. Blind fanlights come in a number of sizes and can be simple, like the small fan above doors in the Fish Lots, or grand, like the elliptical blind f anlights along Main Street. Opposite (clockwise from top left): 92, 99, 89 and 90 Main Street
Thirty Miles at Sea and Thirty Days Late
ast year, island organizations joined NPT to honor National Preservation Month — in June, a month later than the national celebration in May. The success of the month-long program, with thirty programs attended by record numbers, led us to think bigger and to schedule the Nantucket Preservation Symposium for June 2017. This three-day event will draw islanders and participants from around the country to explore the island’s collection of significant American architecture and to shed light on our preservation of these resources. Below are NPT-sponsored events during Preservation Month, including a public program at the preservation symposium. View our Web site for a host of other lectures, tours, and preservation-minded events and activities sponsored by island nonprofits throughout June. Tuesday, June 6 5:00 p.m. Join us for the symposium opening and keynote address by Paul Goldberger—architectural critic, author, and lecturer— who will explore Nantucket’s place in American architecture. Unitarian Universalist Meeting House, 11 Orange Street. $40 general admission/ $20 for NPT members To learn how you can also participate in the three-day Symposium visit: www.nantucketpreservationsymposium.org 17
Friday, June 23 4:00 p.m. Kick off the summer with a free walking tour of historic ’Sconset with NPT executive director Michael May. Meet at the ’Sconset Trust office, 1 New Street. Thursday, June 29 5:00 p.m. NPT’s Annual Awards Ceremony at the NantucketYacht Club. Open to NPT members by reservation; space limited.
Main Street, Siasconset
The Nantucket Preservation Symposium will take the place of this year’s Historic House and Summer Kitchen Tour, but we encourage you to explore the history and architecture of a Nantucket street on your own. Following is a sampling of Golden Age buildings along Main Street in ’Sconset. MAIN STREET ’SCONSET’S GREEK REVIVAL COTTAGES
The earliest dwellings at ’Sconset were small, one-room fish houses that were used to shelter fishermen and were built of scavenged lumber. By the mid-eighteenth century, these structures had been expanded into cottages with T-shaped plans where sea captains, merchants, and other well-to-do Nantucketers and their families enjoyed leisure time. With the peak of the whaling era in the 1830s, new architectural forms were introduced to the island. In the village, the old T-plan fish houses were supplanted by cottages that evoked fashionable architecture styles of the period. Although small in scale, these cottages employed common elements found in Federal and Greek Revival architecture, such as a front porch or portico with columns or tapered piers, symmetrical fenestration (windows and doors), and fanlights at their gable ends. By the 1840s, gable-front houses were also constructed along Main Street, ’Sconset. Today, a walk along Main Street from the rotary to Morey Lane reveals this architectural legacy. 19
20 Main Street c. 1830 This house is perhaps the first of the village’s Main Street cottages and was constructed by banker Frederick W. Mitchell, whose main residence in town was the large Federal brick house at 69 Main Street. Mitchell appears to have been a major player in the development of Main Street, ’Sconset, constructing at least one other cottage, and along with twenty-seven partners, the nearby Atlantic House (27 Main). Mitchell retained this cottage until 1855, selling it that year to Eunice Hadwen, wife of William Hadwen and owner of the “Two Greeks” in town. Curiously, Eunice’s deed notes her ownership as being “free from the interference or control of her husband”—a phrase found in deeds for property held by women involved in the suffrage movement. The front section along Main Street is the oldest part of the structure, and it was expanded in the early twentieth century under the supervision of architect Frederick P. Hill, a protégé of McKim, Mead & White.
22 Main Street c. 1831 Successful banker, real estate magnate, and whale-oil merchant P hilip H. Folger built this cottage on land he purchased from Mitchell in 1831. Like his neighbor, he resided in town in an opulent house at the corner of Main and Orange Streets—perhaps the most fashionable at the time —employing a brick façade and Boston-type bowed window bays. However, Folger’s ’Sconset cottage conformed to the fashion of the day, containing a simple, symmetrically balanced façade graced by a classical-columned porch. By 1865, the cottage had acquired a dormer; later changes included the addition of the two-story façade and porch removal. A milestone marker, placed in the 1820s, is found out front, noting the 7.5-mile distance to town. 21
27 Main Street c. 1848 The Atlantic House was the first hotel built on island to cater to the summer visitor. Just as we find in town with the construction of Hadwen’s Greek Revival mansions at 94 and 96 Main Street, the largest and grandest village structure of the time was built as Nantucket’s Golden Age was coming to an end. The building was developed by twenty-seven investors—Nantucket’s most successful businessmen— who realized ’Sconset’s potential as a summer resort for off-islanders. They were ahead of their time. The demise of the whaling industry and the Gold Rush a year after the structure was completed were heavy blows to the tourist trade, which would not rebound for another thirty years. The hotel was built as a gable-front building, but in the 1920s architect Frederick P. Hill was hired to convert the hotel into a private home. He turned the structure ninety degrees and reduced it in size. Today, the façade is protected with a preservation easement held by the ’Sconset Trust.
28 Main Street 1837 Matthew Crosby, whale-oil merchant, hired Charles Pendleton, carpenter, to build this cottage at a cost of $1,812, with all the work “to be of the like finish of Frederick W. Mitchell’s” house at 20 Main Street. Crosby’s cottage certainly resembles the other Federal/ Greek Revival cottages along this side of the road. It remained in the Crosby family until 1881and has been held by only four families in its 180-year history. npt
The Atlantic House was the first hotel built on island to cater to the summer visitor. 23
Photo by Kathleen Hay
The 2017 Preservation Award Recipients
PT’s Preservation Awards are presented each June to individuals and organizations that advance the cause of h istoric preservation on Nantucket. Highlighting projects and the people who commissioned and completed preservation work is our way of honoring those who demonstrate to the community that sensitive preservation is possible and rewarding. Preservation Awards recipients continue to lead the way— serving as restoration role models and helping to ensure the protection of the island’s historic resources for future generations. The NPT’s Preservation Awards emphasize proper preservation and sensitive new construction, showcase Nantucket’s craftspeople, and celebrate the foresight and stewardship of owners who care about our historic structures and the island landscape.
ARCHITECTURAL PRESERVATION The Architectural Preservation Award recognizes the owner(s) of a historic structure, and, when appropriate, one or more building professionals who assisted in the completion of a significant p reservation project. To qualify for the award, preservation of building elements and features that convey the property’s historical, cultural, or architectural values is required. LANDSCAPE The Caroline A. Ellis Landscape Award recognizes the owner(s) of a historic landscape and, when appropriate, individuals associated with the property, such as landscape professionals. The award recognizes the careful stewardship or preservation of a Nantucket landscape associated with a historic structure or area, or the completion of a new design that enhances the historic fabric of the community. 25
STEWARDSHIP The John A. and Katherine S. Lodge Stewardship Award recognizes owner(s) of a historic property who demonstrate a high degree of commitment to the preservation of the structure(s) and the island. An individual or organization maintaining a historic property or playing an important part in the preservation of Nantucket can also be nominated for this award. TRADITIONAL BUILDING METHODS The Traditional Building Methods Award recognizes craftspeople who practice traditional building methods or who have made a major contribution to the field of historic preservation on island. Recipients must demonstrate a commitment to one or more of the traditional building methods—such as plastering, carpentry, masonry using lime-mortar, or decorative painting. HISTORICAL RENOVATION The Historical Renovation Award recognizes the owner(s) of a historic structure, and when appropriate, building professionals who assisted in the design and completion of a sensitive new addition to a historic structure. Projects should adhere strictly to the guidelines found in Building with Nantucket in Mind. NEW CONSTRUCTION The New Construction Award recognizes buildings constructed that follow the principles of the Historic District Commission and the guidelines outlined in Building with Nantucket in Mind. In addition to the annual awards, the NPT board of directors periodically honors those who have made a major impact on preservation of the island’s architectural heritage with the Excellence in Preservation Award. 26
Nantucket Preservation Trust 2017 Preservation Award Recipients
p res ervatio n award s 2017
Architectural Preservation Award siasconset union chapel siasconset union chapel board of trustees Landscape Award dale gary, town arborist Traditional Building Methods Award john wathne, structures north New Construction Award 5 grand avenue, â€™sconset elizabeth churchill, bentley & churchill architects Stewardship Award gardner house, 5 broadway, â€™sconset the rodts family tristram bunker house, 3 bear street connie umberger richard gardner ii house, 139 main street liz hillger the major josiah coffin house 90 north liberty street noyes family 27
Photo by Jeffrey Allen
Siasconset Union Chapel, 2008 28
THE ARCHITECTURAL PRESERVATION AWARD Siasconset Union Chapel Siasconset Union Chapel Board of Trustees
In 1883, the Siasconset Union Chapel opened as a n ondenominational house of worship to serve the village’s summer community. Modifications to the chapel began soon after its completion and continued into the twentieth century, i ncluding the installation of tie rods, construction of the transept and chancel, reorientation of the entry, and the addition of pressed-metal walls and ceilings. In 2007, the chapel’s board of trustees placed a preservation easement on the building’s exterior—today held by the ’Sconset Trust. In the past ten years, they have completed major work as well as created an endowment to ensure the preservation of the chapel for future generations. Recent work has included the installation of a cedar roof, restoration of the metal work in the vestibule, and less visible, but perhaps most critical—an extensive drainage system around the chapel to address long-term moisture issues. THE CAROLINE ELLIS LANDSCAPE AWARD Dale Gary, Town Arborist Nantucket Department of Public Works
Nantucket trees are important landscape features of the historic town. For over 160 years, town government has played the lead role in the protection of our island’s trees. As early as 1851 the Board of Selectmen made the first appropriation to replace trees destroyed during the Great Fire of 1846; and by 1899 the town had established the position of tree warden. Today, town arborist Dale Gary maintains and protects Nantucket’s five hundred historic trees—more than two hundred of which are American elms, comprising one of the largest historic collections in the United States. Gary’s proactive approach to tree stewardship and his emphasis on long-term planning and preventative maintenance has earned him local and national recognition. Gary works closely with the Tree Advisory Committee, and with the Nantucket Land Council to promote tree preservation and awareness. 29
Tree-lined Main Street, 2016
TRADITIONAL BUILDING METHODS AWARD John Wathne, Structures North
Engineer John Wathne of Structures North, Salem, M assachusetts, has provided structural analysis and design expertise for historic- building restorations for over thirty years. Wathne has experience in nearly all types of existing structures, with an emphasis on construction built before or during the nineteenth century. His broad work has included the restoration and repair of totally preserved structures as well as the adaptive re-use of partially preserved and abandoned structures. He has worked on landmark buildings throughout the East Coast, including the Lousia May Alcott Orchard House in C oncord, the Channing Memorial Library in Newport, and Fort Sumter in Charleston. On island, his work has included, the Masonic Hall on Main Street, S kinner’s Golf Course, the Higginbotham House on York Street, and the Maria Mitchell Association Library, to name a few.
John Wathne with Jascin Finger at the Maria Mitchell Birthplace 31
NEW CONSTRUCTION AWARD 5 Grand Avenue, ’Sconset Elizabeth Churchill, Bentley & Churchill Architects
Elizabeth Churchill of Bentley & Churchill Architects designed a new home at 5 Grand Avenue, ’Sconset in 2016. This residence’s exterior drew inspiration from ’Sconset’s nineteenth-century a rchitecture in form, massing, placement, and detail.The result is one that harmonizes seamlessly within the streetscape and the Sunset Heights neighborhood. Although new construction, the house also features a circa 1884 front door, as well as a salvaged Gothic Revival-style window, that helps to make it fit perfectly with its historic surroundings. Bentley & Churchill Architects, one of the oldest architectural firms on island, has been a year-round architectural practice based on N antucket since the mid-1980s. Churchill’s work, together with that of her late husband David Bentley, has been sensitive to historic buildings and includes restoration, additions, and new construction. Five Grand Avenue was built by Cross Rip Builders.
5 Grand Avenue, Siasconset 32
THE JOHN A. and KATHERINE S. LODGE STEWARDSHIP AWARD This year we honor four recipients for stewardship to emphasize the importance of historic interiors, their fragility, and the need to retain and care for these significant reminders of the island’s rich past. Gardner House 5 Broadway, ’Sconset The Rodts Family
The Gardner House, named for George C. Gardner, who owned the cottage for more than forty years, is the quintessential ’Sconset cottage. An 1847 deed reveals that Gardner bought the house from Edward Ray, although oral tradition suggests that Gardner’s grandfather, Prince, built the cottage in the mid-eighteenth century. From 1910 to 1939, the house belonged to the Nantucket Historical Association and held a small collection of historic artifacts. When local realtor Mildred Burgess, a Gardner descendant, purchased the cottage complete with furnishings, she carefully upgraded the cottage. The house was left more or less untouched, and her descendants have retained the cottage’s integrity and original features. The interior has remained in a remarkable state of preservation much like it was in nineteenth-century p hotographs. A small cottage, on the foundation of a secondary structure, was sensitively completed by the Rodts family.
5 Broadway, Siasconset 33
Tristram Bunker House 3 Bear Street Connie Umberger
This half house, often overlooked due to its location on the edge of a commercial area, is believed to have been built in the 1720s on the 18th Fish Lot in town. It was moved here, overlooking the marsh, by Tristram Bunker, a blacksmith, in 1756, when he purchased the land. The kitchen ell dates from circa 1840 and a more modern rear wing was added by the former owner (Andy Oates, founder of Nantucket Looms). Today, the house retains its historic character and looks very much as it did in the eighteenth century both on its exterior and in the main core of the house. The current owner has sensitively updated it with new baths and kitchen while carefully retaining and protecting its original fabric.
3 Bear Street 34
Richard Gardner II House, 139 Main Street Liz Hillger
This house is believed to have been built by Richard Gardner II about 1690. The house passed out of the Gardner family in 1926, and the following year it was acquired by Gladys Wood (1886–1971), who recognized the significance of the old house and moved it from 141 Main Street, the property of George C. Gardner, about 500 feet east to its current location to complete its restoration. (Curiously, Gardner was an early owner of 5 Broadway, see page 33). Wood’s hired one of the leading preservationists of the day, Alfred F. Shurrocks (1870–1945), to assist her in the restoration of the old Gardner house. Today, the Richard Gardner II house is one of the few surviving seventeenth-century Nantucket homes and remains in the hands of Wood descendants, who, like Wood, are fine stewards of this island landmark and approach restoration with careful study and sensitivity to historic fabric.
139 Main Street 35
The Major Josiah Coffin House, 90 North Liberty Street Noyes Family
This house was built in 1724 by Major Josiah Coffin, son of Jethro and Mary Coffin (original owners of the Oldest House). It is one of only a handful of extant examples of a full hall-and-parlor-plan house on island and is the only house of the period with a Georgian-style modillion cornice. In 1925, Emerson and Isabelle Tuttle purchased the house as a summer home and completed a restoration. Their work included upgrades and sensitive additions along the north end. The house, still in the family, has remained virtually untouched since that time. Over the years, the family has maintained and repaired original features and completed necessary work with a “light touch,” employing the best preservation practices. Today, the house is full of original features, from paneled walls to wrought-iron hardware, and is a fine example of proper stewardship. npt For additional information on NPT award recipients—past and present—visit our Web site at www.nantucketpreservation.org
90 North Liberty Street 36
PAST AWARD RECIPIENTS ARCHITECTURAL PRESERVATION AWARD Virginia Andrews, George Gray LLC, 55 Union Street, 2016 Nantucket Historical Association, Old Gaol, 2015 Ed and Joan Lahey, 7 Farmer Street, 2014 Michelle Elzay, Sparrow Design, 43 Pine Street, 2013 Maria Mitchell Association, Maria Mitchell Birthplace, 2012 South Church Preservation Fund, 11 Orange Street, 2011 Lucy Dillon, property owner; Steve Lindsay, contractor, 37 Liberty Street, 2010 reMain Nantucket, Mitchell’s Book Corner, 2009 Valerie and Richard Norton, numerous projects, 2008 Bernie and Carol Coffin, ’Sconset Post Office, 2007 Ginger Ivey, 8 Cottage Avenue, ’Sconset, 2007 CAROLINE A. ELLIS LANDSCAPE AWARD Paula Lundy Levy, Tuck’t In: A Walking Tour of Historic Prospect Hill Cemetery, 2016 Nantucket Conservation Foundation, 2014 Nantucket Garden Club, Main Street Horse Fountain, 2013 Charlotte and MacDonald Mathey, Hedged About, ’Sconset, 2012 Dr. and Mrs. John Espy, 4 New Dollar Lane, 2011 Marilyn Whitney, Moors End, 19 Pleasant Street, 2010 Caroline Ellis, ’Sconset Trust, Sankaty Head Lighthouse, 2009 THE JOHN A. AND KATHERINE S. LODGE STEWARDSHIP AWARD Mark and Gwenn Snider, Nantucket Hotel, 2016 Liz Coffin and Matt and Sheila Fee, 106 Main Street Façade, 2016 Jason Tilroe, 75 Main Street, 2015 Muriel Williams, posthumously, 4 Traders Lane, 2014 St. Paul’s Church in Nantucket, Stained-Glass Restoration, 2013 Nantucket Historical Association, Photographic Image Archive, 2012 Fremont-Smith family, Atlantic House, ’Sconset, 2011 Margaret Yates Berkheimer, posthumously, 8 Pine Street, 2010 Sanford Kendall, numerous carpentry projects, 2009 Clarissa Porter, 5 Quince Street, 2008 Katherine S. Lodge, 94 Main Street, 2008 TRADITIONAL BUILDING METHODS AWARD Brian FitzGibbon, 2016 David Bergquist, Bergquist Masonry LLC, 2014 Sam and Ellen Phelan, property owners;Twig Perkins, contractor, 65 Pleasant Street, 2013 Curtis Livingston, 18 India Street, 2012 Michael Burrey, timber framer, 2011 Pen Austin, plaster and lime-mortar expert, 2010 HISTORICAL RENOVATION AWARD Paul McLeod and Jamie Pfaff, 29 Liberty Street, 2015 Angus and Deb MacLeod, Angus MacLeod Designs; Johnson, Stockton and Jones families, property owners, for 9, 12, 14, and 15 Pochick Street, ’Sconset, 2013 NEW CONSTRUCTION AWARD Robert and Martha Lipp, 251 Polpis Road, 2015 EXCELLENCE IN PRESERVATION AWARD University of Florida’s Preservation Institute: Nantucket, 2013 Brian Pfeiffer, 2012 Helen Seager, 1999 Walter Beinecke Jr., 1998 37
Summer Lecture & Luncheon
presented by Nantucket Preservation Trust
Join us for the 2017 Summer Lecture &Luncheon featuring a presentation by Brent Hull: preservationist, craftsman, and author.
Brent Hull, owner and president of Hull Historical, is a n ationally recognized authority on historic design and on a rchitecturally correct moldings and millwork. He is passionate about beautiful architecture and the art of timeless building. Brent enjoys working with his hands and has always loved building. In 1991, he moved to Boston to begin a two-year study of historic preservation at the North Bennet Street School. NBSS is one of the oldest trade schools in the United States, and it was there that Brent learned the art of traditional building. Today Brent is the exclusive licensee for the architectural interiors of the Winterthur Museum and Country Estate in Wilmington, Delaware, the original home of H. F. du Pont, which contains the finest collection of American antiques in the world. Brent also has gained a n ational following as the star of “Lone Star Restorations,” which airs on the History C hannel and features proper restorations and fine craftsmanship. Brent is the author of three books: Traditional American Rooms, which celebrates style, craftsmanship, and historic woodwork and includes a foreword by Barbra Streisand; Historic Millwork, a guide to restoring and recreating doors, windows, and moldings from the late nineteenth century to the early twentieth century; and his most recent book, Building a Timeless House in an Instant Age, which helps builders and homeowners construct authentic and beautiful houses. Brent is the recipient of four John Staub Awards for classical architecture in craftsmanship and historic restoration.
Thursday, July 20 • 11:30 a.m. ’Sconset Chapel The lecture is free and open to the public. Members are invited to join us for the NPT Annual Meeting, which will take place in the chapel at 10:15 prior to the Summer Lecture and Luncheon. A luncheon will follow the lecture at the Chanticleer––by reservation only; space is limited. For reservations and information, call the NPT office at 508-228-1387. 39
GiddyUp! 12th Annual August Fďż˝te historic mill street adjacent to the pony field Th ursd ay , A ug ust 10, 2017 40
GiddyUp to the Fête
NPT’s Annual August Fête
Thursday, August 10, 2017 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
J oin us for cocktails and hearty hors d ’ oeuvres
as we tour houses on historic mill street adjacent to the pony field . from 6 p . m . to 8 p . m .
Enjoy food by Nantucket Catering Company and Spanky’s Raw Bar, music by the Chuck Colley Band. NANTUCKET SUMMER ANTIQUES SHOW/NPT PREVIEW BRUNCH Friday, August 11 • 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Nantucket Boys & Girls Club Complimentary with Fete Leadership donation $35 if purchased with a general August Fete ticket $40 at the door
General admission tickets for sale in June 15. For tickets and information, please call the NPT office at 508-228-1387, or visit our Web site at www.nantucketpreservation.org
The Nantucket Preservation Trust is most grateful to Brown Brothers Harriman—our main corporate underwriter— as well as our sponsors and Fête leaders, and Event Coordinator ACKtivities. 41
Photo by Kathleen Hay
NPT has several preservation programs to assist you in the stewardship of your historic house.
preservation practices in action: 86 main street
86 Main Street, c. 1950s
hen completing a restoration project, it is critical that historic research be undertaken to guide the project and to help solve mysteries found along the way. Over the past few years, advances in digital archives on island have made it Âeasier to find information about Nantucketâ€™s old houses and their past Âoccupants, allowing us to learn even more and often to re-examine 43
a building’s origins. Take, for example, the house at 86 Main Street. Although the history of the house was well documented, the o wners were about to complete a restoration and commissioned NPT to undertake additional historic research. We began to dig a little deeper into its history and surprisingly discovered a new clue that has led to a revised history of the house. As was the case for many Main Street houses, a much earlier dwelling had been removed to make way for a new, more fashionable house built during Nantucket’s Golden Age. For many years, this new house was believed to have been constructed for Ann Crosby, a single woman, daughter of Matthew Crosby and granddaughter of Zenas Coffin––two of the island’s wealthiest merchants. Most sources note that Ann Crosby built the house as a wedding gift to herself for her upcoming marriage to George Macy. However, a small advertisement placed by the previous owner, Captain Joseph Allen, was found, and raised doubt about her role in its construction, leading to further scrutiny. Soon after his purchase of the property, Allen placed the following advertisement in the October 9, 1833, issue of the Inquirer: “To be sold at public auction on the premises, at 2 o’clock p.m. on the 17th of the present month, if not previously disposed of, the house, late the property of Jonathan and Peregrine Folger, deceased; with all the Bricks and Stones thereto belonging, exclusive of the stones in the cellar. Also, a woodhouse belonging to the same. Both to be removed from the land by the 25th inst.…” Apparently, Allen wanted the old house removed to make way for his new residence. More in-depth research of Captain Allen revealed that he did, in fact, build the current house, which he mortgaged to the Nantucket Institute for Savings in 1835 for $3,500. That document described the property as “now occupied by me and my family.” Allen ran into financial problems, and in 1838 the bank advertised the “splendid mansion “on Main Street for sale; it was subsequently purchased by Crosby. 44
Curiously, the existence of the earlier cellar came to light the same month we found the advertisement. Today, Allen’s house has a high raised brick cellar and no sign that the stone cellar existed was found. When testing for a footing, the team restoring the house discovered the stone cellar. According to Brian Pfeiffer––of BPA Associates, which is overseeing the building’s restoration––the top of the old cellar wall was found below the current cellar’s brick floor. The old cellar hole measures approximately 10” x 11” and extends to a depth of 50” from its top course. Although cellars of this size were common in early dwellings, Pfeiffer notes “its rectangular form and stone construction are rare on Nantucket for the time, as the pressure of sandy soils resulted in the widespread adoption of circular cellars made of brick. The pressure on the circular brick walls served to resist the pressure of the sand by acting as an arch that is tightened by weight on it.” Because the stones of this cellar are relatively large boulders, they would not have been useful for the Allen house’s footings without being split into more manageable, horizontal lengths with more easily managed bedding planes. Since the advertisement for the removal of the previous house specifically excluded these stones from the sale, Pfeiffer suspects that their removal would have required additional fill and compacting of subsoil needed to provide stable support for the present structure. Although a simple example, the discovery of the new research and the uncovering of the cellar shows that historic research––together with careful study, observation, and proper restoration––can provide a clearer picture of the house history. We hope more owners of historic properties will begin their restorations by learning more about their houses and how they fit into Nantucket’s remarkable history. npt
interior survey In 2000, the N ational Trust for Historic Preservation listed Nantucket and its historic built environment on its 11 Most Endangered List. The listing was prompted by the impact of development pressures, particularly the loss of historic residential interiors—part of the National Historic Landmark’s collection of eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century houses. While the exteriors of these historic properties are protected by the local historic preservation ordinance, the interiors are vulnerable to unsympathetic alterations or wholesale demolition. Documentation is the initial step in addressing the increasing loss of Nantucket’s historic residential interiors. Over the last several years, the Nantucket Preservation Trust has collaborated with the University of Florida’s Preservation Institute Nantucket (PIN) to undertake an inventory of the nearly one thousand private residences, including eight hundred pre-Civil War houses, that help to makeup Nantucket Town. With support from the Community Preservation Committee, a database is being created with information and photography gathered through various archives, town records, 46
and site visits. The goals of the inventory include creating a database as a resource for the community; developing statistics and information to advocate for the preservation of historic interiors; identifying and recording historic interiors that have survived; and documenting threatened historic interiors using 3D laser scanning. In the summer of 2017, NPT and PIN hope to complete the interior survey and begin compiling statistics to assist in preservation efforts. We welcome your assistance and hope you will invite us to view your home’s historic interior so we can accurately record it as part of this process. To participate in the program, please contact Michael May at the NPT office: T: 508-228-1387 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
sherburne hall A Brief History
In September, NPT and the University of Florida’s Historic Preservation Program and Preservation Institute Nantucket (PIN) will collaborate on an exciting new venture: the establishment of a Center for N antucket Preservation. Sherburne Hall on Centre Street will become the new NPT headquarters and will continue to be the home of PIN each May through July. The center is designed to help support and expand the missions of both organizations by providing space for individual and collective programming such as lectures, workshops, and exhibitions. Our future home will be on the second floor of the Greek Revival structure, which was built in 1846 and is a rare island example of a five-part classical building. Below is a brief history.
View of Sherburne Hall, 11 Centre Street, c. 1890s 48
Sherburne Hall was first called the Centre Street Block and consisted of six shops and upper floor meeting space. The building, which was commissioned by merchants James Athearn and Benjamin F. Riddell, was likely designed by a knowledgeable craftsman or architect. Like the Atheneum, it was completed quickly—only five months after the Great of Fire 1846. Six tenants—including three groceries, a shoe store, a candy and ice cream parlor, and a bookstore––were the original tenants on the ground floor. These and several subsequent businesses were operated by men, but in 1848 Harriet Macy took over her brother’s bookstore when he left for California; she was the first of many women to operate the stores. By the 1860s, the block was dubbed Petticoat Row for the w omen shopkeepers—a nickname that remains in use today. Clay Lancaster, the architectural historian, noted the assembly hall on the s econd floor was briefly used as S.A.C. Flu’s dancing school before becoming the headquarters of the Independent O rder of Odd Fellows in 1847. The hall may have been built with the Odd Fellows in mind, but it was also used for other social clubs and occasions. The building remained in Athearn and Riddell’s possession into the 1860s. The Odd Fellows purchased a portion of the building in 1868, and by 1920 the order gained possession of the entire complex, which they retained until the 1980s. Above: Portrait of Benjamin F. Riddell, who was also a successful whaling captain. He died of yellow fever at Montego Bay, British West Indies, in 1862.
House Histories NANTUCKET
A Special Program Offered by
Nantucket Preservation Trust Every historic Nantucket house has a story. Do you know yours? Unlock the history of your home with a Nantucket Preservation Trust House History. We offer three levels of house historiesâ€”our brief history, which provides basic deed research and a short summaryâ€”or our house genealogy and comprehensive hardcover books that are thoroughly researched, clearly written, and beautifully illustrated to provide a detailed picture of your house through time. For more information, visit our Web site: www.nantucketpreservation.org or contact us at 55 Main Street, P.O. Box 158, Nantucket, MA 02554 508-228-1387
mark your old house Every year, NPT completes research for property owners that helps to unlock their building’s past. Deed research, the first step, can assist in uncovering key information such as who built the house, the first owner’s occupation, and the date of construction. We can use this information to mark a house and to provide a bit of history to the passerby. Below is a sampling of “Golden Age” markers completed since last season. 10 Academy Lane: Charles Jones, candle maker, c. 1834 150 Main Street: Davis Gorham II, house carpenter, 1820 2 Martins Lane: Oliver Cromwell Bartlett, physician, c. 1803 5 Mill Street: Charles Folger, boatbuilder, c. 1801 50 Orange Street: Thomas Ray, mariner, c. 1800 42 Pine: George Allen 2nd, master mariner, c. 1837 7 Silver Street: Samuel S. Smith, mason, c. 1833 4 Step Lane: Alexander Ray, whaling captain, c. 1810
Your Source for Antique Prints, Maps, Photographs and Watercolors
Hollie Powers Holt Fine Art email@example.com â€¢ 610-246-9562
D E S I G N A S S O C I AT E S I N C CAMBRIDGE 617.661.9082
ARCHITECTURE PLANNING H I S TO R I C P R E S E R VAT I O N
Join NPT executive director Michael May for an architectural tour of ’Sconset. Learn more about the evolution of the village and its unique place in the island history. Second and Fourth Friday of each month at 4:00 p.m. (July–mid September) $10 per person Meet at the ’Sconset Trust office in the village 1 New Street For further information, visit our Web site at: www.nantucketpreservation.org.
Are you inspired by old buildings? Want to expand your career in the construction field?
Build on the Past Train for the Future
Consider learning or expanding your knowledge of traditional building techniques. These much sought-after crafts can provide you with skills to restore Nantucket’s historic architecture. Through its Scholarship Program, NPT is dedicated to providing full-time study and workshops for island residents. Timber framing, joinery, plastering, masonry, and more... For further information, contact: Nantucket Preservation Trust 55 Main Street • P.O. Box 158 Nantucket, MA 02554 T: 508-228-1387
NPT Architectural Preservation Fund The goal of the NPT Architectural Preservation Fund is to encourage community-wide efforts to protect Nantucket’s historic architecture.The fund brings recognition to key projects, emphasizes the importance of proper p reservation work, and encourages community support. Mary Helen and Michael Fabacher Scholarship
The Mary Helen and Michael Fabacher Scholarship was established by the NPT (with generous support from the Fabachers) to offer Nantucketers the opportunity to enhance their building skills through a scholarship to the preservation-carpentry program at the North B ennet Street School in Boston. Our goal in e stablishing this scholarship is to provide educational o pportunities to encourage and promote traditional building m ethods essential for the preservation of Nantucket’s historic architecture. In addition to the scholarship’s main goal, the program p romotes understanding of traditional building methods by sponsoring field trips to the North Bennet Street School for middle- and high-school students, coordinating on-island demonstration p rojects for all age groups, and assisting the island building trades by offering short courses for learning traditional building methods. Help us complete our scholarship endowment fund campaign by donating today. For more information about the scholarship program or to donate, call Michael May, NPT’s executive director, at 508-228-1387.
CLARISSA PORTER PRESERVATION EASEMENT FUND Clarissa Porter (1939–2012), a former NPT board member, was a tireless and passionate advocate for preservation and had a lifelong love of Nantucket and its historic architecture. She served as a member, since its inception, of the NPT Easement Committee, and her diligent work led directly to preservation easements on several properties and raised awareness of NPT and its mission. Clarissa’s summer home at 5 Quince Street became the first property on the island to have its interior features protected by a preservation restriction. Because of Clarissa’s generosity and passion for historic Nantucket, the easement program is named in her honor. Please consider a donation to the fund restricted for easement protection and assistance. For more information, visit our Web site or call the NPT office.
Preservation easements Preservation easements (called restrictions in Massachusetts) are d esigned to protect the architectural integrity of a property for future generations. Easements must be placed on the exterior of a h istoric property, but can also include key elements of a building’s interior, if desired. Easements are tailored to the specific building and the wishes of the property owner. When preparing a preservation easement, NPT completes historic research to certify a building is contributing to the historic district. As we prepared the report for the American L egion—we discovered an interesting history that reflects its important role on island.
17 India Street, The Hospital Thrift Shop, now preserved with an exterior easement. Photo courtesy of Brian Pfeiffer. 57
The American Legion Hall
American Legion Hall, c. 1950s
The American Legion Hall, historically referred as the “French & Coffin Warehouse,” or the “Charles G. and Henry Coffin Warehouse,” was built in 1838 at the peak of the island’s Golden Age. Few realize that this large meeting space, used today for auctions in the summer and various community events throughout the year, was originally constructed as a whale-oil storage facility. The masonry structure is significant as one of only six buildings in the commercial area that survived the Great Fire of 1846. The building was constructed by William S. French (d. 1893) and Benjamin F. Coffin (1813–89), who formed the firm of French & Coffin in the 1830s, and who disbanded their business in 1847. The partners were brothers-in-law. French came to the island from Providence and m arried Benjamin’s sister, Rebecca Coffin (1809–56), the eldest daughter of 58
Jared Coffin (1784–1860). Jared Coffin’s family was well established; not only was Jared a sixth-generation descendant of Tristram Coffin, one of the island’s first settlers, he was one of Nantucket’s wealthiest and most successful businessmen. French’s partner Benjamin, Jared’s son, would inherit much of his father’s estate. In 1835, Benjamin married Mary Crosby (1816–78), daughter of Matthew Crosby (1791–1878) and Lydia Coffin (1793–1823), another prominent island merchant family. Although the French & Coffin enterprise was highly successful, an 1838 newspaper account confirms that the firm reported property losses of $24,000 due to a fire at the east end of town. This experience may have led French and Coffin to construct a new brick whale-oil house for fire-protection purposes. Curiously, Benjamin grew up in the first brick house on island—today known as Moors End, on Pleasant Street––which was built by his father in the 1820s. The use of masonry appears to have been the reason the warehouse survived the Great Fire of 1846—less than ten years after its construction. An article in the Inquirer on July 18, 1846 (shortly after the Great Fire), notes “the desirableness of brick buildings must be evident to anyone who will cast his eye on the several points at which the fire was arrested . . . on the southeast by the oil works of Messrs. French & Coffin.” However, the Great Fire’s aftermath brought considerable hardship for islanders, and with the decline of the whaling industry both French and his father-in-law, Jared Coffin, moved off island. The building remained a storage facility for many years and was held by the Barney and Swain families, who were also prominent in the whaling industry. In 1916, the property was sold to Henry and Florence Lang, among the most influential Nantucket summer residents of the early twentieth century. Florence Lang (an Ingersoll-Rand heir) and her husband were residents of Montclair, New Jersey, and began summering on island in 1909. Florence, an artist and major art patron, is credited with promoting and rejuvenating Nantucket’s art colony. The Langs purchased large tracts of land along Washington Street and the wharves and began 59
turning the old shanties and other commercial buildings once associated with the whale-oil industry into studios that they rented to artists at modest rates during the summer months. In 1928, the Langs deeded the old warehouse to the Byron L. Sylvaro American Legion Post #82 (formed in 1919 and named to honor a World War I fallen islander), and it has been in the Post’s possession ever since. Soon, the American Legion Hall will join the list of other island landmarks protected with an easement and preserved with funds from the Community Preservation Committee. For more information about preservation easements, call the NPT office or visit us online at www.nantucketpreservation.org.
American Legion Band posed in uniforms on the steps of Pacific National Bank. Printed on drum: Post No. 82 American Legion Nantucket Island 30 Miles at Sea. 60
NPT EASEMENT PROPERTIES First Congregational Church and Old North Vestry 62 Centre Street Quaker Meeting House 7 Fair Street Fire Hose Cart House 8 Gardner Street Greater Light 8 Howard Street The Nantucket Atheneum 1 India Street Hospital Thrift Shop 17 India Street
Rescom Palmer House 9 New Mill Street
Frederick Mitchell House 69 Main Street (pending)
Grafton Gardner House 8 Pine Street
Jabez Bunker/Prince Gardner House 85 Main Street
Nathaniel Hussey House 5 Quince Street
Captain Thaddeus Coffin House 89 Main Street
Captain Peleg Bunker House 4 Traders Lane
Hadwen-Wright House 94 Main Street
John B. Nicholson House 55 Union Street (pending)
Thomas Starbuck House 11 Milk Street
Maria Mitchell Birthplace 1 Vestal Street
1800 House 4 Mill Street
Maria Mitchell Library Vestal Street American Legion 21 Washington Street (pending) Admiral Sir Isaac Coffin Lancasterian School 4 Winter Street Boston-Higginbotham House 27 York Street
2016: A Year in Review
Photo by Kathleen Hay
FACTS AND FIGURES
CORE PROGRAMS NPT’s core programs provide the opportunity to educate, document, and protect as well as to recognize the preservation work of others in the community.
2016 marked the tenth consecutive year of the NPT’s awards program, which has honored dozens of owners, preservationists, and craftspeople.
• On June 30, at the Nantucket Yacht Club, a hundred members helped us to celebrate and recognize the 2016 Awards recipients. • Five projects were awarded in four categories: Architectural Preservation, Stewardship, Landscape, and Traditional Building Methods (see page 24 for details).
Preservation easements are the best tool available to protect historic properties. • In April, a preservation easement was recorded for the Maria Mitchell Association’s Library. • Work began on the Hospital Thrift Shop and American Legion easements (2017 completion dates). • Two new preservation easements were contracted for on landmark houses at 55 Union Street and 69 Main Street.
55 Union Street
HISTORIES, HOUSE MARKERS,AND HOUSE INTERVIEWS
NPT’s house markers and house histories provide property owners and visitors the opportunity to learn more about the island’s historic resources. The programs continued to thrive, with 2016 being our most productive year to date.
• Twenty-two House Markers commissioned and/or completed. • Fifteen Brief House Histories • Three Comprehensive House Histories • Two House Genealogies 64
• Fifteen complimentary “InterviewingYour Old House” consultations completed. • NPT and PIN were awarded a $107,800 CPC grant. Work began in June and included an initial review of the eight hundred pre-Civil War houses’ interiors and the compilation of past documentation on over a thousand historic properties. • Ten at-risk properties documented using 3D laser scanning.
NEIGHBORHOOD BOOK SERIES
• 209 Neighborhood books (Main Street,Wesco, and Main Street,’Sconset) sold and distributed.
A Walk Down Main Street
the houses and their histories
Main Street, ’Sconset
t h e h o u s e s a n d t h e i r h i sto r i e s
The Wesco Acre Lots
A NANTUCKET PRESERVATION TRUST PUBLICATION Statira
A Nantucket Preservation Trust Publication
A NANtucket PreservAtioN trust PublicAtioN
• 30 island-wide Preservation Month programs coordinated with NPT assistance, seven sponsored by NPT. • 394 people participated in the NPT programs. • 30 local businesses participated in the “Preserve Jar” campaign.
• The tenth edition published. • 5,000 copies distributed.
RAMBLINGS AN ANNUAL PUBLICATION OF NANTUCKET PRESERVATION TRUST VOL. III • 2009
An Annual Publication of Nantucket Preservation Trust Vol. II • 2008
RAMBLINGS R AM
An Annual Publication of Nantucket Preservation Trust
Vol. IV • 2010
vol. vi • 2012
AN NI V
Vol. VIII• 2014
An Annual Publication of the Nantucket Preservation Trust
Annu al Pu blicat ion Ma de
of th e Na ntuc ket
Pos l. IX sib • le wit 2015 h Sup por t fro m
ese AnrvaAnnual Publication of the Nantucket Preservation Trust tio Vol. IX• 2015 n Tr ust Made Possible with Support from
Vol. VII• 2013
An Ann ual Pu lica An Annual Publication of the NantucketbPreservation Trust tion Vol. X• 2016 of Vo the l. Na X• nt 20 uc 16 ket Pre serv atio nT rus t
An Annual Publication of the Nantucket Preservation Trust
Prese rvatio n
SA RY RA ED M BL ITI IN ON G S R
• 200al Pu 8 blicat
An AnnuAl PublicAtion of the nAntucket PreservAtion trust
N VOL OF N . III ANT UCK • 200 ET 9 PRES
10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITIO10NTH
vol the . vi nAnt • 201 uck 2 et P
• NPT’s first Resource Guide to assist property owners with restoration projects published and made available online.
• The first recipient of the NPT traditional-trades scholarship graduated from the North Bennet Street School’s preservation carpentry program. • A second candidate began his studies in September.
Mary-Helen Fabacher, Sara O’Reilly, Mike Fabacher, scholarship recipient and graduate Chris O’Reilly, David Brown, and Michael May at the NPT Awards ceremony in 2016.
• Over 110 participants took part in NPT’s walking tours of ’Sconset and the Four Centuries Walk (held in association with Maria Mitchell Association and the Nantucket Historical Association.
• More than 350 technical assistance calls. We provided property owners and residents with information about proper restoration, building histories, and general advice about pending building demolitions and insensitive rehabs. • 3 hours of expert testimony completed in local preservation court cases. • 140 hours spent assisting the HDC in the review of plans before the Historic Structures Advisory and the ’Sconset Advisory boards.
Interior of 90 North Liberty Street
FUND AND FRIEND RAISERS
• 125 guests joined NPT on February 4 for a special tour and reception at the historic Merriweather Post estate (Mar-a-Lago) in Palm Beach, Florida. • 110 guests attended the Summer Lecture and Luncheon at the Great HarborYacht Club on July 14.
2016 Summer Lecture and Luncheon with guest speakers Flynn Kuhnert and Hutton Wilkinson (seated).
• 337 participated in the Summer Historic House and Kitchen tour on Centre Street on July 21.
2016 Historic House and Kitchen Tour
• 377 participated in the August Fete activities on August 10 and 11, including a historic house tour and reception, and a follow-up antique show preview breakfast. • 75 volunteers, homeowners, and in-kind supporters attended the Appreciation Party on August 18.
2016 August Fête
SOCIAL MEDIA FACTS
• 16 e-newsletters prepared for members and supporters • 9 other e-blasts targeted to NPT members regarding programs and preservation news • 2,466 signed up for NPT e-newsletters and e-blasts • 805 follow us on Facebook • 1,378 follow us on Instagram • 1,003 follow us onTwitter 68
Guests “boot” up on the 2016 Historic Summer House and Kitchen Tour
2016 Leadership Members James Abbott Carrie and Leigh Abramson Elizabeth and Lee Ainslie Mr. and Mrs. Edgar D. Ancona The Hon. and Mrs. Mahlon Apgar IV Dr. Joseph and Mrs. Kathy Arvay Mrs. Carol Atkinson Janet and Sam Bailey Mary-Randolph Ballinger The Margaret Ritchie R. Battle Family Charitable Fund Ken and Gussie Beaugrand Mr. and Mrs. Gary Beller Mr. and Mrs. Peter M. Bernon Susan Blair and David Shukis Mrs. Robert H. Bolling Jr. Mr. and Mrs. Edward Bousa Mr. William F. Brandt Jr. Mr. and Mrs. John F Breglio Ms. Lucy Eastwood Broadus Mary and David Brown Ms. Debbie Bryan Bill and Laura Buck Robert and Eileen Butler Mr. and Mrs. David Callahan Ms. Kathleen Cannon & Mr. Brian Kelly Ms. Martha A. Carr Kathy and David Cheek Mr. and Mrs. Richard A. Chesley Ms. Carol March Emerson Cross Mr. and Mrs. Paul Crowley Mr. and Mrs. Edward L. Daisey Mr. Christopher L. Dallmus Mary and Marvin Davidson Anne Delaney & Calvin Carver, Jr. Caroline and Doug Ellis Mr. and Mrs. Michael Elzay Mr. and Mrs. Michael Ericksen
Mary Helen and Michael Fabacher Mr. and Mrs. Frank Fahrenkopf Ms. Mary Ellen G. Ferrel Barbara J. Fife Mark & Lynn Filipski Mrs. Anne C. Foley Nancy and Al Forster Mr. and Mrs. Robert A. Fox Sam and Matt Fremont-Smith Mr. and Mrs. Gregory T. Garland Charles M. and Nancy A. Geschke Foundation Tom and Elisabeth Giovine Mr. and Mrs. Mark Godfrey Susan Zises Green Kim and Jeff Greenberg Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin H. Griswold IV Ray and Betsy Grubbs Charles and Kaaren Hale Mr. and Mrs. Dudley M. Harde Ms. Abigail Harding and Mr. M. Jess Lipsey Mr. and Mrs. Donald C. Harris Mr. Frank Harris Ms. Cassandra H. Henderson Ann and Peter Holmes Mr. S. Roger Horchow Douglas Horst, MD, and Maureen Phillips Barbara and Amos Hostetter Dr. Ann and Mr. Charles Johnson Ms. Barbara Jones The Judy Family Foundation Mr. and Mrs. Allan M. Kaplan Diane and Art Kelly Thomas A. Kershaw Ken and Carol Kinsley Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Larsen Mr. and Mrs. Edward P. Lawrence Ron Levy and Susan Nestor Levy Sue and Byron Lingeman Mr. and Mrs. Richard W. Lowry 71
Mr. Angus MacLeod Mr. and Mrs. Seymour G. Mandell Mr. and Mrs. G. Kelly Martin Mr. and Mrs. Edward J. McCarthy Ciaran McCloskey, CMC Construction Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. McGill III Linda and Ben McGrath Mr. and Mrs. Allan McKelvie Mr. and Mrs. Martin McKerrow Ms. Joanna McNeil Lewis Mr. and Mrs. Richard Menschel Mr. Jason Michel Winnie and Chris Mortenson Ann and Craig Muhlhauser Mr. and Mrs. Muldoon Mr. Maxwell Mundy and Rev. J. Carr Holland lll Ms. Anne Olsen Michael and Nancy Peacock Liz and Jeff Peek Mr. and Mrs. Dennis W. Perry Mr. Dave Perry-Miller Pfizer Foundation Matching Gifts Program Nathaniel and Melissa Philbrick Mr. and Mrs. James W. Pierson Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. Polachi Jr. Mr. and Mrs. Donald Pongrace Bill Porter and Peggy Davis Mrs. Ella Wall Prichard Ms. Lisa Quattrocchi Marcia and Tom Richards Kennedy and Susan Richardson Mr. and Mrs. J. Barton Riley Mr. and Mrs. A. Francis Robinson Ellen and David Ross Mr. and Mrs. Milton C. Rowland Ms. Leigh Royer and Frank Scheuer Mr. Charles Ryan
Mrs. Bonnie M. Sacerdote Kathy and John Salmanowitz Dorinda Dodge Schreiber Mr. Gerald Schwartz Don Shockey and Mary Farland Mr. Irwin J. Smith III Reverend Georgia A. Snell Mr. and Mrs. William Spears Mr. and Mrs. David Joel Spitler Laura and Greg Spivy Peter C. Steingraber Mr. and Mrs. Jordan M. Stone Harris and Esta-Lee Stone Mr. and Mrs. Paul Sullivan Marie and John Sussek Mr. and Mrs. James O. Treyz Jane Tyler Mr. and Mrs. Donald W. Van Dyke II Ms. Lynda Vickers-Smith Pam Waller Suellen Ward and John Copenhaver Mr. and Mrs. David Webber Anne and Tom Weinstock Mr. and Mrs. F. Helmut Weymar Henry K. Willard II Mr. Robert C. Wright
2016 general Members Mr. and Mrs. Doug Abbey Mr. Jeffrey Allen and Ms. Betty Browning Mr. and Mrs. Pennel Ames Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Anathan Ms. Molly Anderson Mrs. Kendall Anderson Mr. and Mrs. Chris W. Armstrong Mrs. Gale H. Arnold Mr. and Mrs. Thomas W. Austin Joan Badie Ms. Margit Baker David Barham and Lauri Robertson Beverly A. and David H. Barlow Mr. Curtis L. Barnes Mrs. William H. Barney David and Wendy Beardsley Judy and John Belash Mrs. Deborah Belichick Mr. Allan Bell Ms. Carol Bellmaine Mr. Bruce Beni Mr. and Mrs. John D. Bennett Mr. and Mrs. Benyus Mr. David Bergquist Mr. and Mrs. John Bermel B. Armyan and Christine Bernstein Mr. and Mrs. James Blackmore Mr. Roger W. Block † Judy and Neil Blume Mr. and Mrs. William J. Boardman Mr. and Mrs. Emanuel Boasberg Mr. and Mrs. Fred J. Boling Jr. Kathy and Tom Bologna Ms. Ann P. Bond Mr. and Mrs. Solomon Boucai Mrs. Edith Bouriez Ms. Barbara May Bowman Dr. and Mrs. Michael Bralower Ms. Elizabeth Brinkerhoff Susan and Gene Briskman Mrs. Arthur G. Broll Mimi and Tom Brome Ms. Carol Ann Brown Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Brown Mrs. Owsley Brown II Mr. and Mrs. David A. Brownlee Mrs. J. Stewart Bryan III James and Nancy Buckman
Mr. and Mrs. Kurt Buechle Ms. Cary Hazlegrove and Mr. Andy Bullington Mr. and Mrs. Coleman P. Burke Mr. and Mrs. Robert M. Burton Dr. and Mrs. George P. Butterworth Don and Lisa Callahan Mr. and Mrs. Peter F. Campanella Mr. John B. Carroll Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Catlin Jr. Stephen and Joanne Caulfield Mr. Howard B. Chadwick Jr. Mrs. Loise Chapin Elizabeth Churchill Ms. Cheryl Clarkson Bernie and Carol Coffin Mr. and Mrs. Paul H. Collins Ms. Marion Roland Conley Mr. and Mrs. Steve Conway Mr. and Mrs. James Cook Ann S. Cowger and John R. Cowger Mr. and Mrs. Kevin and Alysa Craig Alex and Hannah Craven Mr. and Mrs. Gary Creem Mr. Richard C. Crisson and Mr. Rod O’Hanley Leslie Crossley Dr. and Mrs. Daniel F. S. Crowther Mr. and Mrs. Vincent R. D’Agostino Mrs. Jeanne R. Dickinson Philip and Helen Didriksen Ms. Lucy S. Dillon Paul J. Dobrowolski and Gerald H. Crown Mr. and Mrs. Timothy Dolan Mr. and Mrs. Robert Donohoe William and Lois Druckemiller Lee and Tharon Dunn Mr. John Ehrlich Polly Espy Ms. Marsha Fader Mr. and Mrs. Richard G. Farrell Ms. Trudy Dujardin and Mr. Frank Fasanella Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Fee Mr. and Mrs. Eric Finger Dr. and Mrs. Josef E. Fischer Mrs. Judith Flynn Mr. and Mrs. William M. Folberth Cece and Mack Fowler Ms. Ingrid Francis 73
Photo by Kathleen Hay
Florence and J. Michael Frascati Joseph and Cynthia Freeman Robert and Janet Fronk Mr. and Mrs. Eric Frost Mr. and Mrs. Craig Gambee Charles Gardner Mr. and Mrs. Gary Garofalo Peter and Elizabeth Georgantas Elliot and Barbara Gewirtz Mr. J. Edward Gillum Jr. Drs. Margaret B. and John N. Goldman Ms. Dale Brown and Mr. Curtis Gollrad Mr. and Mrs. Robert Gosh Ms. Toby Greenberg Susan and Edward Greenberg Robert Remar and Victoria Greenhood Mr. and Mrs. Richard T. Grote Mrs. Jean R. Haffenreffer Dr. and Mrs. Thomas B. Hakes Barbara Halsted Mrs. George O. Halsted â€ Gerald & Barbara Hamelburg Ms. Melissa Hancock and Mr. Jonathan Schau Mr. and Mrs. Henry Harding Jr. Ms. Carolyn Harthun Mrs. William H. Hays III Mary Heller Mr. Joseph Helyar Ms. Dorothy K. Hesselman Mr. and Mrs. Donald W. Heyda Ms. Elizabeth K. Hillger Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Hilzenrath Ms. Martha Himes Mrs. Winston R. Hindle Jr. Mr. J. Christopher Hines Rose Gonnella and Frank Holahan Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Holden Mr. and Mrs. Christopher F. Holland Mr. and Mrs. Richard Holt Mr. and Mrs. James R. Holt Jr. Jim Hoon Mr. James Houser Mr. and Mrs. George J. Hubbs Mr. and Mrs. Richard Hussey Mr. and Mrs. Richard Irwin Ms. Gloria Jarecki Dr. and Mrs. Douglas Johnson Ms. Barbara Joyce Mr. and Mrs. William Julian Mr. and Mrs. Peter Kahn
Mrs. Stephen J. Karper Dr. Frances Karttunen and Prof. Alfred Crosby Mr. Sanford Kendall Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Keneally Ms. Jane King Mr. Daniel Korengold and Ms. Martha Dippell Denise and Jacob Korngold Jacqueline and Eric Kraeutler Ms. Denice Kronau Ms. Kathryn Kubie Mr. John G. Lamb Jr. Mrs. Nancy Lampe Mr. and Mrs. Anthony M. Lamport Mr. and Mrs. Frank Langhammer III Paul and Giovanna LaPaglia Dr. and Mrs. Jock Lawrason Mr. and Mrs. Peter D. Lee Ms. Sharon LeFevre James and Jill Lentowski Mrs. Susan S. Leonard Mr. and Mrs. Larry Levine Mrs. Perrin Lilly Dr. and Mrs. Keith M. Lindgren Lindsay Inc. Custom Builders Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey S. Lockhart Mr. Ole Lokensgard Mrs. Charles P. Lord Frank and Sharon Lorenzo Mr. and Mrs. William R. Lothian Mr. and Mrs. Thomas P. Loughlin Dr. and Mrs. David A. Lund Mr. and Mrs. Albert E. Lussier Jr. Ms. Juliana Lyman Mr. and Mrs. Peter Lyons Mr. and Mrs. Ian R. MacKenzie Mr. and Mrs. John Macleod Vincent and Debra Maffeo Mr. and Mrs. Edwin B. Mahoney Gene Mahon Rosalie Maloney Mr. and Mrs. James Marinelli Mr. and Mrs. Charles Marino Ms. Ruth McGlathery Mr. and Mrs. Eugene G. McGuire Ms. Paula McLeod and Mr. James Pfaff Ethan McMorrow Mr. and Mrs. Nathan B. McMullen Ms. Julie McNamara Robert and Jane McNeil Mr. and Mrs. R. Alan Medaugh 75
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas E. Meehan Ms. Cristin Merck Pam and Rich Merriman Mr. and Mrs. Richard Metzler Mr. and Mrs. F. Duffield Meyercord William Miller Mrs. Michael D. Milone Mr. and Mrs. Herbert B. Mittenthal Mr. and Mrs. Thomas M. Montgomery Mr. and Mrs. T. Channing Moore William and Siobhan O’Mahony Moore Mr. and Mrs. Robert L. Moore Jr. Ann Morton Mr. and Mrs. William R. Moyer Mr. and Mrs. George R. Mrkonic Jr. Mrs. Philip C. Murray Mr. and Mrs. Scott Nelson The Hon. and Mrs. R. James Nicholson Mr. and Mrs. Rick Nopper Mr. and Mrs. Richard Norton Mr. and Mrs. Al Novissimo, Novation Media Ms. Elizabeth Oldham Mr. and Mrs. Robert Olson Chris O’Reilly Sally and Michael Orr Mrs. Maureen Orth Mr. and Mrs. Harry M. Ostrander Dr. Eileen Ouellette Mary Alyce Pardo Ms. Nancy Pasley Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ian Pass Mr. and Mrs. Scott Paton Mr. and Mrs. Robert M. Pearson Mr. Peter Pennoyer Mr. and Mrs. Robert S. Perlman Ms. Mary Ellen Peters Mr. Richard C. Peterson Mr. and Mrs. Henry W. Pfeiffer Mr. Brian Pfeiffer Mr. and Mrs. Sam Phelan Ms. Nancy L. Phillips Thomas and Catherine Piemonte Ms. Kristene Pierce Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Pinto Mr. and Mrs. Elliott Pollack Ms. Patricia Beilman & Mr. David Poor Ms. Cynthia Powell Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence E. Putterman Frank and Jennifer Rand Dr. Shirley Rayport
Georgia and Richard Raysman Mr. and Mrs. Philip W. Read Mr. and Mrs. Harry T. Rein Mr. and Mrs. George M. Rich Mr. and Mrs. George F. Rochat Peter and Nancy Rodts Ms. Deborah Rogers Mr. and Mrs. Peter Romanos Kermit and Priscilla Roosevelt Mr. and Mrs. Peter Rowe Mrs. Susan H. Ruddick Barbara and Jim Runde Ms. Judith K. Rushmore Mr. J. Wood Rutter Mr. and Mrs. Bruce W. Sanford Ms. Christine Sanford Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Santucci Ruth Sayer Mr. and Mrs. John D. Schaperkotter Mr. Carl W. Schmidt Ms. Janet Schulte Mr. and Mrs. William Schutt Cary and Elaine Schwartz Nancy and Dick Scott Mrs. William A. Sevrens Ms. Kathryn K. Sheehan Valerie Sherlock and Austin O’Toole Mrs. Penny Snow Mr. and Mrs. Stephen L. Snow Mrs. Jane F. Soderberg Mrs. Kitty Sperry Mr. and Mrs. Jeff Spiro Mr. and Mrs. John C. Stahler Dr. and Mrs. Robert Stanton The Rev. and Mrs. C. William Steelman Mr. and Mrs. Peter Stock Ms. Laura Stockwell Ms. Kate Stout Mr. and Mrs. Craig Strehlow Sheila and Bill Sullivan Merrielou and Ned Symes Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Taylor III Ms. Carolyn Thayer, Carolyn Thayer Interiors Mr. and Mrs. Vincent E. Todd Jr. Mrs. Frank Tolsdorf Ms. Nikki Toole Mr. and Mrs. W. David Troast Ms. Anne Troutman and Mr. Aleks Istanbullu Robert and Carol Troxell Mr. Richard Tuck 76
RhodaWeinman, Esq. and Mr. Joseph McLaughlin Mr. William Welch Dr. and Mrs. Francis M. Weld Mr. and Mrs. Stephen K. West Mrs. Barbara C. White Mr. and Mrs. Peter White Susan and John Whitney Mr. and Mrs. Edward I. Wight Mr. and Mrs. Jay Wilson Mr. John G. Wofford Ms. Leslie Forbes and Mr. David Worth Jr. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Wright Robert and Elaine Yordan Mrs. Mary-Elizabeth Young Mrs. Peter H. Zecher Mr. and Mrs. P. Rhoads Zimmerman
Mr. and Mrs. Bobby Tudor Mr. and Mrs. James Tyler Ms. Clara Urbahn Pamela Van Hoven Clark Mr. and Mrs. Richard G. Verney Mr. Jonathan Vipond and Mr. Tim Bunner III Nancy and Carlo Vittorini Linda Von Soosten Mrs. Eugenie H. Voorhees Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Wagner Mr. and Mrs. W. Wyatt Walker Jr. Ted Waller Ms. Catherine Ward Ms. Emma H. Ward Ms. Barbara C. Wareck Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Webb III Mr. and Mrs. David Webber
Event and Program Underwriters Antiques Council Inc. Bartlett’s Ocean View Farm Inc. Brown Brothers Harriman Community Foundation for Nantucket, reMain Nantucket Fund Congregation Shirat Ha Yam Dutra Designs Inc. Kathleen Hay Designs Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Bailey Jr. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Holden Mrs. Walter F. Ballinger II Fenwick House Designs Nantucket Atheneum Nantucket Lightshop Sparrow Designs Susan Zises Green Inc., ASID The Tile Room The Water Closet Verdura Weatherly Design
American Legion Mariann Appley Mrs. Deborah Belichick Mr. and Mrs. John Bermel Mr. and Mrs. William J. Boardman Mary and David Brown Mrs. J. Stewart Bryan III Mr. and Mrs. Edward L. Daisey Mr. and Mrs. Kevin Davidson Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Dewez Caroline and Doug Ellis Randy Fifield Mrs. Richard J. Fox Frank Frankel Ms. Abigail Harding and Mr. M. Jess Lipsey
Abigail Fox Designs ACKtive Life All Point Taxi & Tours ambrosia Anderson’s Nantucket Artists Association of Nantucket Aunt Leah’s Fudge Barnaby & Company Publishing, LLC Betsy Dillard, basket maker Bill Fisher Tackle Black-Eyed Susan’s Captain Tom’s Charters Caroline and Doug Ellis Cary & Yari Wolinskey, Trillium Studios Chris Bonelli Fine Art Chris O’Reilly Clay Twombly CORE Critter Cruise Nantucket Dujardin Design Associates dune Epernay Wine & Spirits Ezia Athletic Club Fast Forward & Espresso To Go First Congregational Church Fishing Nantucket Flock Flowers on Chestnut
Mr. and Mrs. Christian Hoffman Hospital Thrift Shop Joe Kaddis and Family Carolyn M. Knutson Mr. and Mrs. Robert Kulin Mr. Scott LaShelle Mr. and Mrs. John Macleod Maria Mitchell Association Mr. and Mrs. Mark Marache The Mueller family Harry and Fran Ostrander Pacific Club Jeff Paduch Ellen and William Wraith
Other Business Supporters
Access Nantucket Ambrosia Annye’s Whole Foods The Bean The Carlisle House Inn Dreamland Theater Epernay Espresso to Go Go Figure Barre Studio Handlebar Café The Hub Hy-Line Jascin Leonardo Finger Maria Mitchell Association Mitchell’s Book Corner Murray’s Toggery Nantucket Antiques Depot Nantucket Culinary Center Nantucket Historical Association Nantucket House Antiques Nantucket Looms Nobby Shop Pageo Skar Designs The Smiling Button Stop & Shop Tellus vis-à-vis Wicked Island Bakery The Yoga Room
Abigail Fox Designs ACKtive Life All Point Taxi & Tours Ambrosia Anderson’s Nantucket Artists Association of Nantucket Aunt Leah’s Fudge Barnaby & Company Publishing, LLC The Bean Betsy Dillard, basket maker Bill Fisher Tackle Black-Eyed Susan’s The Brass Lantern Inn Captain Tom’s Charters The Carlisle House Inn Caroline and Doug Ellis Cary & Yari Wolinskey, Trillium Studios The Chanticleer Chris Bonelli Fine Art Chris O’Reilly Clay Twombly CORE Critter Cruise Nantucket Dujardin Design Associates Dune Epernay Wine & Spirits Ezia Athletic Club Fast Forward & Espresso To Go First Congregational Church Fishing Nantucket Flock Flowers on Chestnut Geronimo’s and Cold Noses Go Figure Barre Studios GRACEDBYGRIT Greg Hinson, Nantucket Stock Hannah Blount Jewelry Heirloom Meals Home Bazaar, Inc. Island Pharmacy Island Variety Jascin Finger Joyce Jaskula The Juice Bar Kaaren Hale Kris Kinsley Hancock Photography Linda Loring Nature Foundation Margit Baker Maria Mitchell Association Marine Home Center Mark Hubbard, Architectural Renderings Megan Anderson Art Miacomet Golf Course Mitchell’s Book Corner Mr. and Mrs. Alan Forster Mr. and Mrs. John Sussek Jr.
Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Kinsley Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Richards Mr. Dirck Van Lieu Mr. Richard Doyle and Ms. Kate O’Kelly Ms. Judith Paterson Ms. Leslie Linsley Murray’s Toggery Museum of African American History Nantucket Beach Chair Company Nantucket blACKbook, Holly Finigan Nantucket Bookworks Nantucket Bracelets Nantucket Community Sailing Nantucket Culinary Center Nantucket Dog Wash Nantucket Dreamland Foundation Nantucket Fire Department Nantucket Fish Stix Nantucket Frameworks Nantucket Historical Association The Nantucket Hotel Nantucket Island School of Design and the Arts Nantucket Pharmacy Nantucket Sound Magazine Nantucket Walkabout Nantucket’s Girl Friday Norton Preservation Trust Peter England Petticoat Row Bakery Preservation Institute Nantucket Provisions Nantucket Raven’s Walk Guided Walking Tours Rick and Laura Brown, HandsHouse Studios RJ Miller Salon Sankaty Head Golf Club Sarah Chase Sayle’s Seafood The ’Sconset Trust Seaweaver Textiles Shari’s Place Shearwater Excursions Sherry LeFevre SKAR designs The Soda Fountain at Nantucket Pharmacy SPACE Stacey Perry The Sunken Ship Supta Yoga Nantucket Sustainable Nantucket Town Pool Trustees of Reservations Walters Delicatessen, Stubbys, Island Coffee Wicked Island Bakery
NANTUCKET PRESERVATION TRUST, INC. STATEMENT OF ACTIVITIESâ€“2016 Operating revenues: Contributions $270,798 Fundraising events 108,774 Program services 30,827 Sale of goods (net of cost of goods) 26,488 Interest & dividend income 14,881 Total support and revenue 451,768 Operating expenses: Program 225,842 Management and general 80,246 Fundraising 114,500 Total expenses 420,588 Change in net assets from operations 31,180 Realized & unrealized gains/(losses) on investments 21,721 Changes in net assets 52,901 Net assets, beginning of year 759,864 Net assets, end of year $812,765
Extracted from audited 2016 financial statements
Opposite: Petticoat Row and Sherbune Hall on Centre Street, circa 1930s.
Photo by Kathleen Hay
Become a Member of the NPT The Nantucket Preservation Trust is a nonprofit, membership- supported organization formed in 1997 whose members are dedicated to the p reservation of the island’s historic architecture.
Membership Form Name: ___________________________________________________________________________________________________ Email:____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Address:_________________________________________ Summer Address:___________________________________
State, Zip________________________________________ Dates at Summer Address: __________________________ Tel: (
)____________________________________ Local Tel: (
□ I want to learn about NPT volunteer opportunities.
Leadership level members receive invitations to special donor events. _____$5,000
other membership _____$250
_____$25 Student Membership (valid with Student ID)
_____ Enclosed is a check made payable to the NANTUCKET PRESERVATION TRUST. ______ Charge my Visa/MC/Amex #___________________________________________________Exp_______ in the amount of $_____________________Name on Card_________________________________________ ______ My employer will match this gift. Please enclose gift form.
Your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
Nantucket Preservation Trust P.O. Box 158 • Nantucket, MA • 02554 508-228-1387 www.nantucketpreservation.org 83
End Note 84
love of old buildings and an interest in proper restoration seem to be s ynonymous with our idea of Great Britain. The British landmark listing system is more extensive than that of the United States and –– of special significance to NPT––it protects significant historic buildings both inside and out. Perhaps it’s not surprising, then, that there are a number of B ritish documentaries and other television shows that h ighlight architectural history and preservation. Here are a few that you might want to consider watching.
Restoration Home––This series, now seven years old, still has it. The programs follow the restoration of six historic properties and their owners (often with what they called “listed buildings” that require special regulatory review). The series includes a historian and an architecture expert to assist in uncovering a building’s history and origins. The success of the show seems to have spurred a new series (2017) by the Landmark Trust. (Available on YouTube) Restoring Britain Landmarks––This new series was not yet available in the U.S. at publication, but we hope it will be available soon on B ritbox (a monthly subscription service like Netflix). The Landmark Trust has a long history of restoring Great Britain’s landmarks with a focus on t raditional building methods. The organization has branched out and now has properties elsewhere in Europe (when associated with a British subject) and even in Vermont! Vacation cottages at their historic sites are also available for rent to support the organization’s restoration work. 85
匀愀氀甀琀椀渀最 琀栀攀 瀀爀攀猀攀爀瘀愀琀椀漀渀 漀昀 一愀渀琀甀挀欀攀琀✀猀 䄀爀挀栀椀琀攀挀琀甀爀愀氀 䠀椀猀琀漀爀礀
䈀爀甀挀攀 䨀⸀ 䈀攀渀椀
伀爀椀最椀渀愀氀氀礀 戀甀椀氀琀 椀渀 㜀㌀㔀Ⰰ 䠀甀猀猀攀礀 匀琀爀攀攀琀 椀猀 漀渀攀 漀昀 琀栀攀 ǻ渀攀猀琀 攀砀愀洀瀀氀攀猀 漀昀 栀椀猀琀漀爀椀挀 愀爀挀栀椀琀攀挀琀甀爀攀 氀漀挀愀琀攀搀 椀渀 琀栀攀 栀攀愀爀琀 漀昀 琀栀攀 伀氀搀 䠀椀猀琀漀爀椀挀 䐀椀猀琀爀椀挀琀⸀
㔀 㠀ⴀ㈀㠀 ⴀ㘀㌀
倀氀攀愀猀攀 挀漀渀琀愀挀琀 甀猀 昀漀爀 洀漀爀攀 椀渀昀漀爀洀愀琀椀漀渀⸀
匀愀氀攀猀 愀猀猀漀挀椀愀琀攀 㔀 㠀ⴀ㘀㠀 ⴀ㘀㔀㠀㜀
匀漀甀琀栀 䈀攀愀挀栀 匀琀爀攀攀琀 簀 一愀渀琀甀挀欀攀琀Ⰰ 䴀䄀 ㈀㔀㔀㐀 眀眀眀⸀氀攀攀爀攀愀氀攀猀琀愀琀攀⸀挀漀洀
Escape to the Country—This long-running series helps prospective homebuyers find their dream properties in the British countryside with an emphasis on “properties of character.” If you like HGTV’s “House Hunters” but wish they looked at more historic homes, this might be the show for you. (Available on Netflix) Secrets of Great Britain Castles––Historian Dan Jones (a young and knowledgeable historian) explores the history of some of the earliest castles of Great Britain. (Available on Netflix) Hidden Houses of Wales—A 2010 series, with each episode exploring a historic house located deep in the Welsh countryside. It steps back in time to unlock their histories and meets with present owners to explore their passion for the property. (Available on Netflix) Secret British Homes––This series explores stories related to fifty houses, from large estates to modest apartments. Although not necessarily focused on the house itself, the show beats most American alternatives. (Available on Amazon) npt
JOIN US FOR A PREVIEW BRUNCH AT THE NANTUCKET SUMMER ANTIQUES SHOW
A Community Resource Weatherly Design, LLC for dba Nantucket Sewing & Design Interior Design, Textiles & Tailoring
Thursday, August 11
A 30 year business under new ownership. A pleasant, newly renovated Climb the Stairs space. A community resource for and See What We Can Offer You. Interior Design, Textiles & Tailoring.
10 a.m. - Noon
The Nantucket Boys & Girls Club 61 Sparks Avenue
Climb the Stairs And See what we can offer You!
Complimentary with Leadership donation $35 with general August Fête ticket $40 at the door
1 Federal Street (above the Hub) P: 508 228 3846 Mon–Sat to 5pm 1 Federal Street (above the Hub) St 9am
P: 508 228 3846 Mon - Sat 9am to 5pm
Cape Cod Five is pleased to support the Nantucket Preservation Trust. Community Banking Since 1855 112 Pleasant Street • Zero Main Street www.capecodfive.com 508-228-1255 Member FDIC Member DIF
Boro Sawmill & Timber Since 1925
Our 92nd Year www.borosawmill.com (p) 973-832-4607 (f) 973-832-4615 We are the number one source for historically correct interior and exterior materials.
Authentic Lumber & Timber * Old World Moldings * Patterns & Millwork * Flooring
Available At Our Dealer Partner
www.shepleywood.com Nantucket Office : 6 Lovers Lane, Nantucket, MA 02554 Phone: 508-325-0400 Facsimile: 508-325-0359
Boro Sawmill & Shepley proudly support the Nantucket Preservation Trust
Brown Brothers Harriman
PRIVATE BANKING is pleased to sponsor the Nantucket Preservation Trust
Private Banking is committed to helping business owners and those with substantial wealth achieve their financial goals. We serve both corporate and private clients throughout the cycle of wealth
creation, transition, and preservation. Our mission
is to become a trusted advisor to our clients by
leveraging our shared intellectual capital and
reputation, offering objective advice, and putting client interests first.
Nichol macmaNus, maNagiNg Director Brown Brothers Harriman 212.493.8122 | firstname.lastname@example.org 352_16
Susan Zises Green Interior Design & Decoration, ASID
161 East 35th Street, New York, NY 10016 T. 212.710.5388 F. 212.710.5399 www.susanzisesgreen.com