Page 1


for Newly Admitted International Students


Please take special note of any information following this icon. It is very important.


BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME What you need to know and must do before you travel to the U.S.


ARRIVING IN THE U.S. What to expect at U.S. airports and how to get to Boston


WHEN YOU ARRIVE Getting settled and what to do when you arrive at Northeastern University

• Immigration & Visas.................................................................. 3-4 • Insurance.................................................................................... 4-5 • Important Documents............................................................... 6 • Students with Families............................................................... 7 • What to Pack.............................................................................. 8-9 • Getting Your Things to Boston................................................. 9 • Accommodations....................................................................... 10-11 • Money & Finances......................................................................12-13

• Immigration................................................................................15 • Customs...................................................................................... 16 • Getting to Your Destination...................................................... 17 • Boston Subway Map................................................................... 17

• On Campus.................................................................................19 • Student Status................................................................................ 20 • Global Student Success..............................................................21 • Contacts...................................................................................... 22-24 • Northeastern University Campus Map.................................... inside back cover

WELCOME ongratulations on your acceptance to study at the College of Professional Studies at Northeastern University. You are joining a top U.S. university committed to providing opportunities and support to students from around the world. We look forward to welcoming you to Boston and our campus, but there is much you must do before you arrive.


To help you prepare for your travels and your stay in Boston, we’ve compiled just about everything you need to know and do in this one guide. Please take time to read the entire guide. We encourage you to print it out, make notes on it, bookmark important Web sites, and complete the checklists. Then carry the guide with you when you travel to Boston. After you have read this entire guide, if you still have questions or concerns, please contact the staff of the appropriate office listed on pages 22-24. We will be pleased to help you. Until then, safe travels, and we look forward to seeing you in Boston soon!

Take advantage of the opportunities offered at Northeastern University. —Abdullah, Saudi Arabia


Before You Leave

Prepare well before you come.


—Jing, China

Traveling to a new place is exciting, but can be stressful. Right now, you probably have many questions and concerns. Do not worry. If you read this guide and follow all the instructions, you will be well prepared to study in the U.S. and at Northeastern.

IMMIGRATION AND VISAS If you plan to study in the U.S., you must obtain a student visa before you travel. Start working on obtaining your student visa as soon as possible. When you arrive, a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol Protection Officer will inspect your documentation and decide if you may be admitted to the U.S. Already received your I-20? You should have received information on immigration and visas provided by the International Student and Scholar Institute (ISSI). Read it carefully. It will explain how to obtain a student visa. If you prefer, view the material at the link on this page, print it out, and keep a copy with you. Still waiting for your I-20? You will receive notification from the Office of Admissions once all required I-20 documentation has been received. If you have not received this notification you may have outstanding documents, to check the status contact the Office of Admissions at or call 877.668.7727. Once your I-20 has been processed you will receive a shipment notification and tracking information.

Be sure to check with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country about how long it will take to obtain a visa, any changes to student visa regulations and process, what documents you need, and how to apply for a visa.

i FIND OUT MORE: Obtaining a student visa to study at Northeastern University (F-1) Overview of F-1 Visa Overview of J-1 Visa

Good to Know SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) is a U.S. government database that monitors all information related to a student’s stay and study in the U.S. Become familiar with this acronym, as you will see it frequently in pre-departure materials and once you arrive.

TRANSFER STUDENTS If you are currently studying in the U.S. with an F-1 or J-1 visa and are planning to transfer to Northeastern University, you will need to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility(I-20/DS 20-19) from Northeastern University and a transfer-in form. Visit the link below for details.

i FIND OUT MORE: Transfer Students


CHECKLIST BEFORE COMING TO THE U.S. Here is a checklist to get you started: o Read carefully all the material from the International Student & Scholar Institute (ISSI). Start working on obtaining a visa as soon as possible. (See Immigration and Visas, page 3) o Review medical health insurance requirements and purchase health insurance coverage. (See Health Insurance, page 4) o Insure yourself and your luggage for your journey to the U.S. (See Property Insurance, page 5) o Decide where you want to live and begin making arrangements as soon as possible. (See Accommodations, pages 10 -11) o Figure out how much money you will need for your tuition, fees, and living costs. Plan how to get money from home while you are in the U.S. (See Money & Finances, pages 12-13) o Book a travel ticket after you have obtained a visa. If you purchase a return ticket, do not plan to return home before the end of exams. (See Academic Calendars at o Read all e-mails and documents sent from Northeastern. o Activate your myNEU account. 4

INSURANCE hat if I get sick in the U.S.? What if my wallet is lost or stolen? These are concerns many international students have. With the proper insurance, you won’t have to worry about your health care or your belongings.


HEALTH INSURANCE Massachusetts state law requires that all full time (or equivalent) students, both international and domestic, have health insurance under the Qualifying Student Health Insurance Program (QSHIP). You must have a qualifying health insurance plan before you register for classes. If you are enrolling full-time, you will automatically be enrolled in the Northeastern University Student Health Insurance Plan (NUSHP). If you already have health insurance with a U.S.-based carrier that meets QSHIP standards, you will be granted a waiver. You will learn more at orientation.

If you are currently being treated for a specific medical condition, it is important to share your home doctor’s name and address, copies of your medical records, and a list of any medications you are taking with your new doctor in the U.S. Get copies of this information before you leave home and bring it with you to the U.S. TIP: Health Insurance Costs Health insurance costs about $100 to $150 a month.

Student Status

Recommended Health Insurance Policy

American Classroom

Northeastern University Student Health Plan (NUSHP)

Practice your English. —Sirirat, Thailand

NU Health Report All students at Northeastern University are required by law to complete a NU Health Report prior to registering for courses. You should have received the NU Health Report Form in your welcome email. If not, please see the link on this page to access the form. Bring the Report Form completed by a doctor in your home country with you to the U.S. TIP: Hold A “hold” is something to avoid, as it will prevent you from registering for classes and maintaining your lawful student status.

IMMUNIZATION All students at Northeastern University must provide the Health Center with proof of immunity to certain diseases. Documentation of immunizations and/or titers must be on the University's Health Report, or a clinician’s letterhead or prescription slip, signed by a nurse, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. Alternatively, documentation may be provided by the student's high school, previous college, or military facility, again with clinician signature.

i FIND OUT MORE: NU Health Report Form Health Insurance Requirement (QSHIP) Documentation of Immunity



Massachusetts law does not require dental insurance. Please note that dental insurance is not included in the medical/health insurance policies described in the Web sites below, but you can purchase it separately from these same sites. Some dental schools in the Boston area provide affordable services to patients without dental insurance.

• Before you leave home, we suggest that you insure your luggage contents. Do this through a travel or insurance agent in your home country.

i FIND OUT MORE: Low-cost Dental Care: Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine Tufts School of Dental Medicine Clinic

• After you arrive in the U.S., you can then take out a policy to cover you for traveling to and from your home country during your studies. • Keep extra copies of insurance policies, travelers checks, and passport numbers in a separate and safe place. Leave the numbers with friends and family back home. • If you must bring items such as a laptop computer or electronic items, make sure you take out extra insurance to cover them in case of loss or theft. We strongly urge you not to bring expensive or valuable items, such as jewelry. If you must, make sure you take out extra insurance to cover them as well.




DO NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THESE DOCUMENTS Carry the items with a H on your person or in your hand luggage.

H o Proof of identity/Travel documents. All international students are required to possess a valid passport with student visa stamp.

H o Original letter of acceptance issued by Northeastern University.

H o SEVIS fee payment receipt. H o Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS 20-19) issued by Northeastern University.

H o Original academic transcripts, certificates of exams passed, and degrees awarded from any educational institutions you attended in your home country. If yours are not in English, please obtain a certified translation before leaving home.

H o Documents showing that you have sufficient funds to pay for tuition, fees, and living expenses for you and any family dependents traveling with you. H o Enough money (we suggest travelers checks) to cover your expenses during the first few weeks in the U.S. 6

H o Address and telephone number of where you are going to stay in the U.S.

H o This guide! o Your name written in English (See the Tip on this page) o Official name-change documentation, if your name has changed for any reason. For example, bring a marriage certificate if your name has changed due to marriage. o English language test certificates. If your first language is not English, you might be asked to provide results from English proficiency tests, such as TOEFL or IELTS. o Emergency contact names and numbers of relatives or friends. o A copy of completed NU Health Report Form. o Medical records and prescriptions for any medications, if being treated for a medical condition or disability. o Copies of insurance policies and policy numbers. o Important contact numbers at Northeastern University.

any students traveling to the U.S. for the first time are surprised by how much paperwork and how many documents are required for entry into the country. We do not want you to arrive in the U.S. unprepared. This page includes a checklist that will help you gather the documents you’ll need. Carry these original documents with you in your hand luggage when you travel to the U.S.


TIP: Names & Dates Here are some tips on how to write names and dates in the U.S.: • Always write your name as it is printed in your passport. • Most forms will ask for your surname (family name) to be written in a separate box from your first or given names. • If your country does not use first name and surname, decide in advance which part of your name you will use as your surname and be sure to always use it as such. • Northeastern University typically keeps students’ records in alphabetical order by surname, not by your first name or given name. • Do not shorten your name. Clearly show any accents, apostrophes or hyphens (for example, Céline L’Heuvre or Almodóvar-Caballero). • Dates are written as follows, month/day/year (mm/dd/yy). Dates are shown as two-digit numbers, so you must add a zero before single digits. For example, October 3, 1992, would be written 10/03/92 and 12 September 2005 would be written as 09/12/05.

STUDENTS WITH FAMILIES tudying in a foreign country and learning a new language and culture is challenging. If you decide to bring your family with you, you’ll want to be sure to plan appropriately so this does not cause added stress.


i FIND OUT MORE: Russell J. Call Children’s Center at Northeastern University

If you want to bring your family to the U.S., consider these questions first:

City of Boston Resource for Parents

• Where will you live?

Childcare Resources and Referrals in Boston

• Will you be able to find and afford accommodations large enough for your family? (See Accommodations, pages 10-11) • Will you be able to afford living costs for your family? (See Money & Finances, pages 12 -13) • Will your family member(s) also need to obtain visas? • Will you need childcare? • Where will your children go to school? • Does your family speak English?

Good to Know If you are bringing children between the ages of 2 years and 9 months to 5 years, contact the Russell J. Call Children’s Center at Northeastern University as soon as possible. Space is limited and not guaranteed. You will have to pay for your child to attend the Russell J. Call Children’s Center and most other childcare centers.

• Will your family miss their friends and relatives at home? There are no emergency or temporary University accommodations for you and your family once you arrive. If you are bringing your family, we strongly advise you to secure living arrangements in Boston before you leave home. If you do not, expect to stay in a hotel or guesthouse until you find a place to rent.


WHAT TO PACK oston weather has four distinct seasons. Temperatures can rise to over 90 degrees (F) (32°C) in the summer (June through August) and can go below 20 degrees (F) (7°C) with snow in the winter (November through February).


For winter months, pack warm, waterproof clothes that you can wear in layers. During the daytime, students typically dress casually. You will be expected to dress professionally for more formal occasions—dresses or suits for women, suits for men. Students and staff often wear national or traditional garments to special social events, so if you have some, bring yours and share your culture. Also, be sure to pack comfortable walking shoes— walking is the best way to see Boston. That said, we advise you to pack only what is necessary and purchase the rest after you arrive in Boston. There are many affordable stores in the city. TIP: Washing Clothes Pack clothes that are easy to wash. You might have to pay to use a clothes washer and dryer at your accommodations or at a self-serve laundry. This can cost up to $3.00 for each load. Expect to spend up to $10 to dry-clean a jacket or pair of trousers. 8

i FIND OUT MORE: Boston Weather

WHAT TO BUY You can purchase nearly everything you’ll need in Boston—household goods, clothing, shoes, electrical equipment, cell phones, bicycles, laptops, etc. Your household needs will depend on your accommodations; some are furnished with a bed, pillows, a chair, and a desk. If you live in private lodgings, you will most likely need to purchase furnishings after you arrive in Boston.

MOBILE PHONES, COMPUTERS, AND INTERNET If you already have a mobile phone, you might want to check with the manufacturer to see if you can purchase a SIM card that will allow your phone to work in the U.S. However, it might be more economical for you to purchase a phone and service after you arrive in Boston.

Bring some heavy clothes for winter. —Cemil, Turkey

We recommend that you purchase electrical equipment after you arrive in Boston. If you bring your own electrical goods, unless they are operated using the proper adaptor, they could be damaged or become unsafe for use. All students have free access to e-mail and the Internet when using Northeastern University computers at the Snell Library Computer Labs or around campus. For Internet access in your private accommodations, you must set up and pay for service from an Internet service provider or telephone/cable company. TIP: Buying a Computer To purchase a personal computer after you arrive, consider looking on the “Tech Marketplace” under the “Self-Service” tab that appears once you log on to your myNEU e-mail account.



There are specific rules for what you cannot bring into the U.S. Check with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country about restricted goods. Breaking customs rules can result in fines or imprisonment. Also, check with your airline before travel about any restrictions on what items cannot be packed in your luggage or carried on board.

Bring with you all you will need in the first few weeks. If you need more than you can carry, you may send your belongings by air or sea. Since prices vary, check with several companies. Address your shipped luggage to yourself at your address in Boston. On all forms, clearly state that all items are “personal effects, part of a temporary move to the U.S. as an international student.” You must be in Boston to receive your luggage. Northeastern University will not accept delivery of students’ belongings before their arrival. Customs agents may open your packages for inspection.

TIP: Put labels with your full name and the address of where you will be staying in Boston on both the outside and inside of all your bags.

i FIND OUT MORE: What you cannot bring to the U.S. FOOD

We suggest you do not bring electrical equipment. American electrical voltage is 110 volt/60 hertz and electrical outlets can have two- or three-pin plugs, which are probably not compatible with equipment from your home country.

There are many markets, restaurants, and specialized food stores in the Boston area. You can find shops offering Chinese, Italian, Japanese, and Korean food and goods, to name a few. You can take a bus or the subway to get there. (See public transportation map, page 17)

i FIND OUT MORE: Campus Computer Labs Boston City Guide Public Transportation (MBTA) 9

Live close to campus.

ACCOMMODATIONS our transition to life in Boston will be smoother if you know in advance where you are going to live. We suggest you stay at a hotel, guesthouse, inn, or bed and breakfast the first few weeks in Boston. Make reservations before you leave home. While you are staying at the hotel, you can then arrange more permanent accommodations.


Please note that Northeastern University residence halls are currently not available to College of Professional Studies students during the academic year, except for limited space during the summer.



—Gabriel, Venezuela

463 Beacon Street Guest House 617.536.1302 Aisling Bed and Breakfast 617.206.8049 Anthony’s Town House 617.566.3972 Beacon Inn 617.566.0088 Berkeley Residence 617.375.2524

LONG-TERM ACCOMMODATIONS As soon as you are settled in a hotel or other temporary lodging, start searching for longterm accommodations. Options include homestay, dormitory-style housing, sharing an apartment or house, or renting your own private apartment or house. The accommodations listed below are affordable, dormitory-style accommodations and homestays suitable for college students. Please note that some agencies listed here require specific application forms to be submitted well in advance of your arrival. Please visit the individual Web sites for more information.

Hotels in Boston are costly. Prices at guesthouses, inns, bed and breakfast, and hostels are usually more affordable. In most cases, you will have your own room, individual or shared bathrooms, with or without breakfast. Hostels typically offer shared rooms and shared bathrooms. Following is a list of some of the lodgings available in Boston:

Boston International Hostel 617.536.9455

Dormitories Bayridge 617.536.2586

Irish Embassy Hostel 617.973.4841

Bethany Union for Young Women (women only) 617.236.0727

i FIND OUT MORE: Online Hotel Reservations

Oasis Guest House (walking distance to University) 617.267.2262

John Jeffries House 617.367.1866

International Fellowship House (men only) 617.267.0877 International Guest House (single or shared rooms available) 617.437.1975

YMCA/YWCA Central Branch YMCA (men only from September to May) 617.536.7800

Homestays Global Immersions, Inc. 617.484.4055

Berkeley Residence (women only, long-term stays) 617.375.2524

Boston Homestay, Inc. 781.449.9733

At Home in Boston 617.277.6444



Houses and apartments to share or live in alone are another option. Most rental leases are for a full year and begin in the summer or fall. You will be required to pay a security deposit and the first and last month’s rent before moving in. This can be a significant expense. Rent typically does not include the cost of electricity, heat, telephone, cable, and Internet services.

When you find accommodations to rent, your landlord or landlady should give you a written lease. If he or she does not, ask for one. The lease describes your responsibilities and rights. Leases are in effect throughout the time indicated on the contract and are legally binding under the law. Since you will be agreeing to pay a large amount of money for an extended period of time, be sure to carefully review what is stated on the lease before you sign it.

i FIND OUT MORE: Off-Campus Housing for Northeastern University Students 617.373.8480 Resources for Students Interested in Renting Own or Shared Apartments

Good to Know For an apartment or private house, avoid using online classified housing services. Instead, visit the Northeastern University off-campus housing services Web site.

TIP: Accommodations Most accommodations are reserved by early September so plan accordingly.


MONEY & FINANCES ow much money will I need? What about banking? These are important questions. Before traveling to the U.S., you should plan to have access to enough money for the entire duration of your education. If you do not have a bank account in your home country that you can access in the U.S., you should bring enough money to cover your expenses in the first few weeks, including transportation, temporary lodging, food, and personal expenses. After you arrive in Boston, we recommend that you use a debit or credit card to make purchases or pay bills. (See Opening a Bank Account and Money & Credit/Debit Cards, page 13)


Difficulties with money will distract you from your studies and make for a distressing situation. Be prepared to handle your own finances by making plans now. Determine how you will pay your tuition and other bills and how you will keep track of your financial records.



You may bring as much money as you like with you into the U.S., but you will need to report this amount to customs. Be sure to check how much money you are allowed to take with you from your home country.

TIP: Dollars and Cents U.S. currency is made up of dollars ($) and cents (¢). One hundred cents make one dollar. There are 1¢ (penny), 5¢ (nickel), 10¢ (dime), 25¢ (quarter), and $1 coins, and $1, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 notes. Some stores may not take notes larger than a $20.

TUITION AND FEES You must pay full tuition and other related fees by the Saturday at the end of the first week of class. Payment for second session courses is due by the first Saturday of the second session. If the due date on your bill is “Upon Receipt,” pay within 15 days to avoid a late charge. A past due balance may result in prevention of registration or grade release (also known as a “hold”) and may affect your lawful student status.

i FIND OUT MORE: American Classroom: international/language-preparatory/english-languageprogram.php Undergraduate: College of Professional Studies:



It is difficult to estimate how much money you will need to live in Boston. Everyone’s budget is different. Compared to other U.S. cities, Boston has a high cost of living and housing. In addition to your tuition, fees, and accommodations, you will need to budget for food, personal expenses, textbooks, health insurance, transportation, clothing, recreation, and other miscellaneous items.

When you open a bank account, you will be given a bankcard allowing you to make withdrawals from money dispensing machines (ATMs). Many banks allow you to also use this card as a credit/debit card when making purchases. Many students bring a credit card issued by a bank in their home country and use it to pay for items and get money. Please check with your bank prior to leaving home to make sure that you can use your card to get money from ATMs or banks in the U.S.

TIP: Public Transportation Costs It is easy to get around Boston and surrounding areas using the public bus and subway system, which locals call “the T.” It costs about $2.00 to ride the subway, $1.50 for a bus ride. You will save a significant amount of money if you purchase a weekly or monthly pass. Visit the MBTA website (See page 17) for information on monthly passes. Please note: fares are subject to change.

OPENING A BANK ACCOUNT If you are planning to stay in the U.S. for more than a few months, you will most likely need to open a U.S. bank account. Information about opening U.S. bank accounts will be provided to you at orientation. Most banks charge fees. Some charge a standard monthly subscription fee and might charge a fee if the dollar amount in your account drops below a certain level. If you plan to have money transferred regularly to your U.S. bank account from home, check with your bank to find out if there are fees associated with these transactions. Fees vary from bank to bank.

i FIND OUT MORE: Banks in the Boston area include: Bank of America Citizens Bank Sovereign Bank student_checking.asp

HOW TO OPEN A U.S. BANK ACCOUNT To open an account you will need to be in the U.S. Usually, you must provide the following: o A valid passport o Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS 20-19)issued by Northeastern University o Local address to which a bankcard can be mailed o Original acceptance letter sent from Northeastern University containing your home address o Proof of your home country address (a recent bank statement from home or utility bill, no more than three months old)


Arriving in the

IMMIGRATION You’re almost here! Read this section to find out what to expect as you enter the U.S.

Good to Know When you arrive in the U.S., you will go through immigration control and customs. If you have the proper documents, you should not experience any problems or delays. At any U.S. port of entry, be prepared to present the following: • Your passport • Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS 20-19) and fee receipt • Original acceptance letter from Northeastern University (strongly recommended) • The bank statement, letter, or certificate that serves as evidence that you have enough money to study in the U.S. (strongly recommended) Every individual entering the U.S. is asked to state a reason for wishing to enter the country. When you are asked, tell the officer that you will be a student at Northeastern University. After successful completion of an inspection, you will have your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS 20-19) stamped and will have your picture and fingerprints taken.

You will be refused entry into the U.S. if you attempt to arrive more than 30 days before the program start date listed on your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS 20-19).

WHAT QUESTIONS MIGHT AN IMMIGRATION OFFICER ASK ME? • Why are you coming to the U.S.? • Where and what are you going to be studying? • Do you have an acceptance letter from Northeastern University? • Where are you going to be living? • Do you have enough money to study in the U.S.?

i FIND OUT MORE: Arriving at a U.S. Port of Entry– What Students Can Expect

Airport Interpreters Language interpreters are available from 12:00 noon to 10:00 pm at the Federal Inspection Area at Logan Airport’s Terminal E. They provide assistance to international visitors and speak the following languages: Arabic, Cantonese, Creole, Czech, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese.


CUSTOMS fter you pass through immigration, you will pick up your baggage and proceed to U.S. Customs. A customs official will take your Customs Declaration Form (CF-6059). Remember, there are rules about what you cannot bring into the U.S. (See Getting Your Things to Boston, page 9) To learn what must be declared, check with a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country before traveling to the U.S.


Generally, you need not declare any items you bring for personal use. However, a U.S. Customs officer might ask to inspect your bags and luggage, even if you have nothing to declare. Remember that while there is no limitation on how much currency, money orders, and travelers checks you may bring, if you are carrying more than $10,000, you will be required to file the Currency Reporting Form with U.S. Customs. HELP! For arrival-related problems only, call Global Student Success at 617.866.7078. (Available the week before the start of classes until the end of the first week of classes.) 16

i FIND OUT MORE: U.S. Immigration/Customs Process inspection_process.ctt/cbp_inspection_proces.pdf What to Expect at U.S. Customs admitted_to_the_u_s.xml What You Cannot Bring to the U.S. Traveling With Food travelers.xml

MBTA Subway System

GETTING TO YOUR DESTINATION AIRPORT WELCOME Northeastern University is about 6 miles from Logan International Airport. On certain days at the beginning of each term, representatives from the International Student and Scholar Institute (ISSI) make several trips from Logan International Airport to the Northeastern University campus. To find out more details and to sign up for ISSI’s Airport Welcome, visit the link on this page. If you arrive when University representatives are not available, do not worry. It is easy to find your way to Boston via subway or taxi. Follow the directions below.


Boston Taxi Companies Include: Checker Taxi 617.536.7008 Metro Cabs 617.782.5500 Top Cab Association 617.266.4800 Town Taxi 617.232.2800

The “T” (short for “Transit”) is Boston’s subway system, and it is easily accessible at Logan Airport. If you can carry all your bags, the subway should be the easiest way to travel. There is a free shuttle bus service from the airport to the nearest subway stop, called “Airport” on the Blue Line. The subway fare is $2.00, and will get you to just about any location in Boston. Keep in mind that some trains may stop running as early as midnight and start again at 5:30 a.m.

TIP: Tipping Throughout the U.S., it is customary to tip Public Transportation (MBTA) for services. Taxi drivers, restaurant waiters, and hairdressers expect around 10% to 20% of the bill. Porters and bellboys anticipate around $1.00 to $2.00 per piece of luggage. You need not tip in fast-food restaurants or cinemas.


i FIND OUT MORE: Logan Airport

Taxis to Boston from Logan Airport can be expensive, depending on your destination. Expect to pay $30 to $35 to get to Northeastern’s campus. Taxis are available at all hours from the platform outside the airport arrival terminals.

Getting To and From Logan Airport 17 Airport Welcome

When You Arrive

Study hard and enjoy your life in Boston.


—Fongsi, China


You’re Here! Welcome to Northeastern University. Now that you have arrived, take a deep breath and get settled.

Mandatory Immigration Clearance Session. You are required to physically report to the ISSI to complete immigration clearance and comply with SEVIS. This is included as part of your mandatory orientation. Bring all of your immigration documents and passport with you. If you do not receive information on where and when to attend orientation, contact the Office of Admissions at

o Go to an orientation session/attend mandatory immigration clearance and SEVIS session o Get your Husky Student ID Card o Set up your mobile phone o Clear your holds

WHAT TO DO FIRST The longest part of your journey is behind you, but there are still a few important tasks you must complete as soon as you can. First, attend orientation, where you must complete your mandatory immigration clearance with the ISSI, get your ID card, and learn about university policies, your registration status, and how to maintain your lawful status as an international student. Visit the Global Student Success and the ISSI websites for more opportunities to get to know the campus, other students, and the city of Boston. Complete the checklist on this page, and have fun! 19

STUDENT STATUS MAINTAINING YOUR LAWFUL STATUS AS A STUDENT You must comply with the rules regarding your valid status as an F-1/J-1 student. It is your responsibility to read and abide by the regulations. Visit the links below to learn how to comply and maintain your lawful student status. If you need more information, contact the ISSI.

i FIND OUT MORE: International Student Services ISSI Registration Academic calendars Office of Academic & Student Support Services Virtual Campus Tour maps.html 20

Regulations include: • Maintaining full-time enrollment and normal progress toward the completion of your degree or program of study. • Updating your address on your myNEU portal. If you move while studying in the U.S., you must update your new address to the Registrar’s Office within 10 days of moving. • Reporting any I-20 changes (such as financial sources, duration of study, change of a major) to the ISSI and requesting a new I-20 with accurately updated information. • Accepting any employment, either on- or off-campus, requires prior written permission from the ISSI. Please contact the ISSI for details on employment authorization. AND • Visit the “Maintaining Student Status” link on this page for guidelines.

i FIND OUT MORE: Guidelines for Maintaining Student Status

Just enjoy.


—Scarlett, Venezuela

lobal Student Success (GSS) is committed to fostering the acculturation of international students to the Northeastern community and promoting internationalization across the institution. We support international students through cross-cultural, linguistic, and academic support services. We also partner with faculty, staff, and administrators to integrate global dimensions and cross-cultural understanding into the Northeastern experience. GSS provides the following services:


International Tutoring Center (ITC) — Tutors provide high-quality ESL writing instruction and tutoring for international students who need assistance with papers, assignments, TOEFL writing, and research projects. Students can meet one-on-one with an ESL tutor. Language and Culture Workshops — The language workshops are for international students looking to improve their reading, writing, and listening skills. The culture workshops help international students understand American culture better and operate more successfully as university students in the U.S. Pronunciation Workshops — These workshops are for speakers of English as a second language who would like to improve their pronunciation skills. Each workshop is led by a graduate student in Speech-Language Pathology, who has knowledge about the specifics of speech production.

Good to Know You can visit us on the Web for more information and to learn about events sponsored by Global Student Success. GSS Website

Volunteer Team Leader (VTL) Program — Students provide community service while strengthening their leadership skills, building résumé experience, and improving their English skills. Advising — Student Support Specialists (SSS) work with international students in the American Classroom, Global Pathways, and Global Classroom programs, providing academic and extracurricular support.

Student Resources cps/student-resources/ College of Professional Studies and GSS Events Schedule cps/events/

To contact GSS, please email us at


CONTACTS STUDENT RESOURCES, SERVICES, AND ACTIVITIES FOR STUDENTS TIP: Calling From Outside the U.S. If you are calling the University from outside the U.S., dial the international code 001.1, before the numbers listed below.






Admissions 50 NI Hall

877.668.7727 or

Your Enrollment Coach assists you with submitting the I-20 paperwork and registers you as a student.

Please contact us if you need help getting started as a new student or with obtaining your I-20.

Center for Spirituality, Dialogue and Service 203 Ell Hall


Offers support, friendship, hospitality, and information on churches, mosques, temples, and other faith communities at the University. The facility, Sacred Space, is available for student events, worship services, interfaith dialogues, meditation, and yoga classes.

When you need a quiet space for prayers, meditation, or yoga. If you’re interested in meeting individuals from diverse faith communities.

Cooperative Education 10 Belvidere


Lets eligible students participate in parttime internships and full-time co-ops in fields related to their career interests.

If you are interested in gaining experiential learning, contact Cooperative Education to find out if you are eligible.

Global Student Success 10 Belvidere

617.373.6541 (normal business number) Help! (for arrival-related issues or problems only) Available the week before the start of classes until the end of the first week of classes: 617.866.7078

Helps students make a smooth transition to Boston and successfully complete their programs.

If you need help with application forms, have problems with classes or navigating unfamiliar university services and regulations, or have questions about pre-arrival preparation. Please join us for weekly cultural, academic and career workshops and events.

Information/Technology Services Snell Library, Main Campus


Offers technology-related support to the entire University community.

If you have problems with your myNEU account or want to use a University computer with online access at the computer labs.





International Student & Scholar Institute (ISSI) 405 Ell Hall


Offers orientations, information, and advice on immigration, SEVIS compliance, general academic matters. Implements events and programs that recognize cultural diversity and promote intercultural relations.

When you have questions regarding immigration or want to find out what fun events are planned for international students.

Marino Recreation Center 140 Marino Center


Athletic facilities: basketball courts, suspended track, exercise equipment, including stair climbers, treadmills, and exercise bikes; group fitness courses and personal training at an extra cost.

When you want to get fit, workout or join a group sport. Free for students with Husky ID.

Office of Academic and Student Support Services 50 Nightingale Hall


Provides academic advising and student services, international student services, orientations for new students, and academic tutorial services.

For College of Professional Studies students: When you have questions about your program of study, which courses to take, where to get additional academic assistance, or are having difficulties in your studies.

Office of the Registrar/Husky Card Office 120 Hayden Hall


Oversees academic calendars, class and exam schedules, and academic records.

When you have questions regarding registration or Husky card services, including printing, and meal plans.

Public Safety Division 716 Columbus Avenue 100 Columbus Place

Campus Emergency: 617.373.3333 University Police: (non-emergency) 617.373.2121 Safety Escort: 617.373.2121

Ensures campus and personal safety, and offers safety escort services for students.

If you need emergency help or want to report stolen goods. If you are worried about your safety or walking alone on campus at any time, call for safety escort service and someone will walk with you.






Snell Library Main Campus


An extensive collection of academic journals, books, and services for your study and research.

If you need academic materials, help with research, or a quiet place to read or study.

Student Financial Services 354 Richards Hall

617.373.2270 html

Oversees student accounts, billing, and payment.

When you have questions regarding your student account, billing, and payment for tuition and fees.

University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS) Forsyth Building, 1st floor


Offers both medical and behavioral health care, and counseling services.

Make an appointment at UHCS so that they can assign you a primary care physician. Do not wait until you get sick. If you want to discuss in confidence any health concerns or other concerns, such as homesickness, relationship problems, and depression.

Visitor Center 110 Behrakis

i FIND OUT MORE: Resources and support services


617.373.2200 campus/

Provides information on University locations, public transportation, and University activities and events.

EMERGENCY Anywhere in the U.S., for immediate help in case of accidents, crime, medical, or fire, dial 911. On-campus emergencies, call 617.373.3333.

When you need a campus map, information about train and bus schedules, and to find out what is happening on campus.

HELP! For arrival-related problems only, call Global Student Success at 617.866.7078. (Available the week before the start of classes until the end of the first week of classes.)


20 21 23A


Northeastern University


19 15

18 23C





Campus Map






9 12 13 25



62 65

64 76 69 67A 67B

Academic and Service Buildings 66 61 70 68 40 26 74 51 41 7 36 72 54 66 47 50 6 57 39 43 60

Alumni Center at Columbus Place (CP) Architecture Studio (RG) Asian-American Center (AC) Badger-Rosen SquashBusters Center (SB) Barletta Natatorium (BN) Behrakis Health Sciences Center (BK) 101 Belvidere (BV) Blackman Auditorium (AUDL) Cabot Physical Education Center (CB) Cahners Hall (CA) Cargill Hall (CG) Catholic Center (CC) Churchill Hall (CH) Columbus Place and Alumni Center (CP) Cullinane Hall (CN) Curry Student Center (CSC) Cushing Hall (CU) Dana Research Center (DA) Dockser Hall (DK) Dodge Hall (DG) Egan Engineering/ Science Research Center (EC) 52 Ell Hall (EL) 71 Fenway Center (FC) 55 Forsyth Building (FR)

Residence Buildings 53 10 33 46 77 35 38 34 56 17 44 29 48 31 27 63 42 49 73 24 30 58 59 37 23

Hayden Hall (HA) Hillel-Frager (HF) Holmes Hall (HO) Hurtig Hall (HT) International Village (INV) Kariotis Hall (KA) Knowles Center (KN) Lake Hall (LA) Latino/a Student Cultural Center (LC) Marino Recreation Center (MC) Matthews Arena (MA) Meserve Hall (ME) Mugar Life Sciences Building (MU) Nightingale Hall (NI) O’Bryant African-American Institute (AF) Renaissance Park (RN) Richards Hall (RI) Robinson Hall (RB) ROTC Office (RO) Ryder Hall (RY) Shillman Hall (SH) Snell Engineering Center (SN) Snell Library (SL) Stearns Center (ST) West Village F, G, H (WV)

21 67 77 1 4 12 9 5 3 20 2 16 14 15 23 23 18 28 69 8 11 13 19 76 64

Burstein Hall (BU) Davenport Commons A, B (DC) International Village (INV) Kennedy Hall (KDY) Kerr Hall (KH) Levine Hall and St. Stephen Street Complex (LV) Light Hall (LH) Loftman Hall and 153 Hemenway Street (LF) Melvin Hall (MH) Rubenstein Hall (464) Smith Hall (SM) Speare Hall (SP) Stetson East (SE) Stetson West (SW) West Village Residence Complex A, B, C, E (WV) West Village Residence Complex F, G, H (WV) White Hall (WH) Willis Hall (WI) 10 Coventry Street (CV) 142–148 Hemenway Street (142–148) 319 Huntington Avenue (319) 337 Huntington Avenue (337) 407 Huntington Avenue (407) 768 Columbus Avenue (768) 780 Columbus Avenue (780)

Parking Garages 65 75 45 62 25

Columbus Parking Garage (CPG) Belvidere Parking Garage (BVG) Gainsborough Parking Garage (GG) Renaissance Park Garage (RPG) West Village Parking Garage (WPG)

Legend #

Academic and Service Buildings


Academic-Residence Buildings

# Residence Buildings # Parking Garages Parking (permit required) Visitor Parking Handicapped Parking Handicapped-Accessible Entrance Emergency Telephone MBTA Station Admissions Visitor Center Alumni Center at Columbus Place

Northeastern University Pre-Arrival Guide  

Linked from assorted Internation pages

Northeastern University Pre-Arrival Guide  

Linked from assorted Internation pages