
1 minute read
A Historical Tour of MGC
A Historical Tour of MGC
We are pleased to launch the first installment of A History Tour of MGC beginning with this month’s edition of our newsletter.
Advertisement
We will share insights and anecdotes covering our Course, Membership, Clubhouse and Championships pulling from multiple published resources, including Rick Schefchik’s History of MGC, as well as notes from our archives dating back to our beginning.
This month we will start with the architects and the course from Mr. Schefchik’s publication. Please click on the below link to view (Please note this link is a mini flipbook):
https://issuu.com/mgclub/docs/rj_flip?fr=sNzdmODQ3NDkxMTk
In addition to this issue’s story on the architects, we are also pleased to provide this excellent visual collection of maps and aerial views of MGC from the 1930’s to 2015. It will start with the simple design of Willie Park Jr.’s original layout and Donald Ross’s initial design discovered in the Ross Tuft’s Library. This design has many of Ross’s characteristic features including “fore bunkers” which were placed at the beginning of some fairways to catch errant tee shots as well as provide dramatic visuals to the start of a hole like what you will find with the new bunker on 18.

A note on Ross’s work. From 1916 to 1930, he and his team are credited with the design and construction of 265 new courses and 46 redesigns. History shows that when Ross was retained for reworking a golf course of an architect he was regarded as bright and skilled, he showed admirable restraint and respect for the original work, as was the case with Willie Park Jr. here at MGC.
To view this aerial history click on the below link:
https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:cb829959-10aa-42f0-a382-33b349716c84